carat
color
clarity

30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jeweler

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock
Re: 30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jewe

chicam|1314977543|3008287 said:
I'd go with Good Old Gold if I were you. Jonathan is a class act and goes over, above and beyond to get you a stunning stone, at a fair competitive price with excellent upgrade policies. What more can anyone ask. I am dealing with him currently and I'm very pleased, and I am not easily pleased.
The OP seems bent on Jared or the Carribean contact however. If you are more comfortable with those routes, by all means do it. You must be comfortable with your decision at the end of the day.

I only seem more comfortable with those options because it is the only options I have explored/invested time/energy into thus far. But that's why I'm here. I'm here to have my eyes open, and I already have gotten awesome feedback.

My only question to everyone is regarding the stability of smaller jewelers. What I mean is, we are a young couple. These jewelers have great upgrade plans, and from what I've read looks better across the board (just as everyone has said). My main concern is that we are a younger couple, these are older jewelers who eventually retire. What happens on our 25th anniversary when I want to upgrade from our 2ct. to a 4ct. but there is company, or contact, to uphold the awesome policy I signed up for 25 years ago?

This is the only hang-up I'm having on the situation. I can get over all of the other "perks" (or perceived perks..) from the retailers, but this is what I'm concerned with. If I could get over that piece of it, then I would be on southwest.com right now buying a ticket to Long Island to see GOG.

To everyone so far - This forum shocks me how helpful everyone is. I really do appreciate it. It's a huge purchase, and this kind of support makes me instantly feel much more comfortable.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1314984514|3008403 said:
chicam|1314977543|3008287 said:
I'd go with Good Old Gold if I were you. Jonathan is a class act and goes over, above and beyond to get you a stunning stone, at a fair competitive price with excellent upgrade policies. What more can anyone ask. I am dealing with him currently and I'm very pleased, and I am not easily pleased.
The OP seems bent on Jared or the Carribean contact however. If you are more comfortable with those routes, by all means do it. You must be comfortable with your decision at the end of the day.

I only seem more comfortable with those options because it is the only options I have explored/invested time/energy into thus far. But that's why I'm here. I'm here to have my eyes open, and I already have gotten awesome feedback.

My only question to everyone is regarding the stability of smaller jewelers. What I mean is, we are a young couple. These jewelers have great upgrade plans, and from what I've read looks better across the board (just as everyone has said). My main concern is that we are a younger couple, these are older jewelers who eventually retire. What happens on our 25th anniversary when I want to upgrade from our 2ct. to a 4ct. but there is company, or contact, to uphold the awesome policy I signed up for 25 years ago?

This is the only hang-up I'm having on the situation. I can get over all of the other "perks" (or perceived perks..) from the retailers, but this is what I'm concerned with. If I could get over that piece of it, then I would be on southwest.com right now buying a ticket to Long Island to see GOG.

To everyone so far - This forum shocks me how helpful everyone is. I really do appreciate it. It's a huge purchase, and this kind of support makes me instantly feel much more comfortable.
You have a valid point about wondering if these companies will still be in business, but in my own personal opinion, there are some vendors where I don't think you'd have to worry about them being around in the slightest.

Again, for me personally, I first found Pricescope back in 2008 and learned of several vendors and adore many of them. I learned most of my diamond knowledge from these boards and from Good Old Gold's videos on diamonds. I have not yet made a diamond purchase (no where close to being an engaged lady), but I absolutely plan to purchase from GOG myself when the time is right. I feel I owe my knowledge to them and want to give them my business.

According to their website, they have been in business since 1980 and have been doing online retail since 1998. Jonathan even now has two cuts (the August Vintage Cushion and the August Vintage Old European Cut) that he has worked to create and maybe even patent (not sure about the patent though). People are gaga for these stones. I have no doubts that his business will be around for your 25th wedding anniversary.

Not to mention, their upgrade policy is WAY better than Jared's. Like many previous poster's have said, as long as you spend $1 on one of their lifetime guarantee stones, you can upgrade. And at the price point you're looking at, that's something to consider. Going with Jared and having to spend double of 30-45k is a lot.

But also like other poster's have said, it's all about your comfort level. If you find something comforting about purchasing from Jared's or Tiffany's, etc, than that is also something to consider.

If you're drawn to the sales pitch and the information, extras, etc. Give GOG a call. They're not going to pressure/sell you, but they will give you more information than you could possibly even know to ask for. And if purchasing from afar, Jon will do videos and side by side comparisons to help you decide.

Good luck! Do let us know what you end up decideing, and remember to post PICTURES!! :praise:

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Well, I spoke with Charles (Johnathan's nephew I was told) at GOG, and am going to buy tickets to fly up there.

Let's see what happens :) Thanks to everyone for your input, and please keep posting on this thread if something comes to mind. I'm sure I will be posting more comments after I spend some time there.

Thanks everyone.

Nate

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Yay! GOG + a custom Mark Morrell setting would be one heck of a ring and you'd have an amazing upgrade policy for down the line if you wanted it...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yay! They're FANTASTIC, and GOING there is a great time. My husband and I spent a day there a year ago, it was so much fun.

audball

Ideal_Rock

So happy to hear it!!! Let us know how your experience goes!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have no doubt GOG can fix you up right with an amazing stone at a great price. However, if you are flying into NYC and are still curious about "bigger" retailers -- there's the flagship Tiffany store, Cartier & Harry Winston all in Manhattan. Even if you just want to compare to sanity check a GOG purchase for your own peace of mind.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Hope to see pictures of the final product! It's a PHENOMENAL budget you have to work with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so glad you decided to go to GOG! That would be a dream for me, personally! I do have a gorgeous diamond from there, and I have 100% confidence in their honesty and integrity as well as their ability to choose outstanding diamonds. I'd so love to have some of their August Vintage stones! I feel good about this particular company staying in business because it is a family-owned business and the next generation is already involved. A good upgrade policy is critical when buying at a time when diamonds are very high in price. Also, I didn't see if anyone mentioned this, but Jon does have a knife edge setting. I don't think I've seen one posted here, but do ask him to see his version when you visit since that seems to be what your girlfriend likes. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great choice-- I've met Jon and his daughter and know you will be in good hands. Personally, while I was in NY I'd visit Steven Kirsch of Timeless Designs and see if the two of you can design a new six prong knife edge... we love new solitaire designs around here... plus I bet your lady would be over the moon to have an original design as a setting.

I do love MWM's work too.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock

Sarahbear621|1314969897|3008178 said:
I would pass on Jareds. When we first started to look at diamonds (before we found PS), we looked there and it is hard to buy a diamond from people who only know the basic 4 C's...even the manager.

my BF and I stopped in Jared on our first shopping trip. I asked to see a cushion, and was shown a modern brilliant cushion. I stated I like the more vintage look with chunky facets better, and was told that all cushions are the same and I was wrong. Um, OK... When we walked out of there (never to look back) I'm pretty sure the salesman was thinking my BF should run rather than marry me, while we were both thinking we should run out of that store...

audball

Ideal_Rock

So...how did it go?!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Speaking as a woman and fellow pricescoper, what would make my heart sing is an ideal cut diamond, is a well crafted setting. Price-wise, when you get to the point of comparing apples to apples (certificate-wise, cut grade) I find it hard to believe the Carribean jeweler beating what the vendors mentioned can do for you. I personally would not buy such an expensive piece of jewelry in the Carribean, simply because of the lack of recourse/difficulty of return if something should go wrong in the transaction. But it's all about your comfort level.

I agree that Jared's is fine for some things. But if you are spending that much money, you can do better. I would expect a whole other level in diamond, setting quality for the price level you are thinking about. That or Cartier :naughty:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would love to see an update. How did the visit at GOG go?

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Hey everyone :) Sorry for the cliffhanger. I just got back home late last night. My gf and I had a lot of fun in NYC. It was her 1st time. We did all the tourist stops, stayed right at central park in Manhattan, and had a blast.

Charley is a real nice guy. He certainly didn't mind spending time with us. He wasn't side-tracked, rushed, or irritated. Only good things to say as far as that goes. They make you feel comfortable with all their different reports, which is above and beyond what retailers understand or explain. I believe we should be able to find the right diamond using GOG, and I'm at least going to put effort into it with him to try. We're going to start going back and forth until we narrow the search down to the right diamond choices, and see what happens from there.

As far as the setting options, I talked to Mark Morrell, and visited his website. I really don't know how to approach the ring/setting situation. We spent some times at Tiffany's on 5th avenue also, just because we were there and they have some beautiful options. My gf above all other settings loves knife edge, and loves 6 prong. That is 100% certain. Where I have some flexibility is like MWM options where he puts those little diamonds on the side. There are a lot of nifty options, but I just don't feel like I can figure it out on my own.

Here is what I know:
She doesn't like thick prongs
She doesn't like the side of the diamond being covered/hidden by diamonds or fancy prong designs. She likes to see the side of the diamond.
She doesn't like some replica's of the Tiffany knife-edge where it actually comes to a point (where there is kind of a "line" drawn down the center of the ring) it should be semi-rounded where there isn't a distinct line, if that makes any sense.

So unless I'm missing something, I guess what I want is the Tiffany's knife-edge 6 prong but maybe with minor diamond detail on the bottom. But it'd need to be limited since she doesn't want to hide the side of the diamond.

I am going to talk to Mark Morrell for some design options, and I see someone above mentioned Steven Kirsch (spelling). Is there anyone else I should be exploring?

audball

Ideal_Rock

That sounds great! I'm glad you liked them! I'd suggest talking to Charley or Jon at GOG and see if they have any local setting suggestions that they've successfully worked with in the past if things in their inventory don't suit you. I believe they do some custom work, so it may be easiest to make it a one stop shop and get a setting from them too?

Mark Morrell makes beautiful settings. Since she likes a more unobstructed view of the diamond from the profile, I'd probably NOT go with the diamonds in the head, it may look too busy to her.

I also believe that he can customize one of his standard settings to have a knife edge and to have non heart shaped prongs, say daintier claw prongs.

Goodluck and keep us posted on the progress!

Another suggestion for settings would be Engagement Rings Direct. I know many PSers have had settings made for their GOG diamonds with ERD.

One of my favorite solitaires they have should be easily customizable to have a knife edge on the shank.
http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=80

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Okay, I know everyone is going to roll their eyes haha, but this Tiffany's picture is literally EXACTLY what she loves.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10001#f+0/1001/2001/3001/4001/4001

If the link doesn't work, go to:
www.tiffany.com
Click Diamonds > Tiffany Engagement Rings
Click "Find your perfect engagement ring"
Select Round, Solitaire, Platinum, The Tiffany Setting
Click the ring shown

Then it shows the ring from two views, and also paired w/ wedding band choices. The wedding band with "shared-setting band ring" is the picture perfect engagement ring + wedding band. I mean, perfect. Everything about that Tiffany setting she loves. I think she likes the idea of the small diamonds on the side, but the MWM ring I see has the diamond set in the base of the prong, causing the prong to be very wide and cover more of the diamond. I don't even know if there is anywhere else to put the mini diamonds, but that's Tiffany set up is perfect. If there was a way to have that exact ring WITH mini diamonds between the prongs so it didn't cause the prongs to be larger, it looks like the perfect ring.

What do you guys think? Should I e-mail this to MWM and Steven and see what they say? If there is no way to do a mini diamond between the prongs, then I kind of wish I could just buy the setting from Tiffany, but I don't think they'll let me? Not sure on that one..

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315499912|3012779 said:
Okay, I know everyone is going to roll their eyes haha, but this Tiffany's picture is literally EXACTLY what she loves.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10001#f+0/1001/2001/3001/4001/4001

www.tiffany.com
Click the ring shown

Then it shows the ring from two views, and also paired w/ wedding band choices. The wedding band with "shared-setting band ring" is the picture perfect engagement ring + wedding band. I mean, perfect. Everything about that Tiffany setting she loves. I think she likes the idea of the small diamonds on the side, but the MWM ring I see has the diamond set in the base of the prong, causing the prong to be very wide and cover more of the diamond. I don't even know if there is anywhere else to put the mini diamonds, but that's Tiffany set up is perfect. If there was a way to have that exact ring WITH mini diamonds between the prongs so it didn't cause the prongs to be larger, it looks like the perfect ring.

What do you guys think? Should I e-mail this to MWM and Steven and see what they say? If there is no way to do a mini diamond between the prongs, then I kind of wish I could just buy the setting from Tiffany, but I don't think they'll let me? Not sure on that one..

you cannot get the setting from Tiffany. However many jewelers make excellent Tiffany replica solitaires. I don't think there is a way to do it with the small diamonds without covering more of the diamond. I'm sure that MWM, GOG, Steven, anyone could make you that ring. BGD also has a nice replica on their website
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5336

Also, if you go with a shared-prong wedding band I would recommend getting a small spacer band so that the exposed diamond girdles do not damage the engagement ring.

Is the blue box important to her? You might want to just get the Tiffany's...you would have to go smaller but if she would really love it then maybe it is worth it? It just depends on whether she would want a replica that could look very similar or the real thing but in a smaller carat size.

audball

Ideal_Rock

slg47|1315500265|3012783 said:
Nate36bus|1315499912|3012779 said:

www.tiffany.com
Click the ring shown

you cannot get the setting from Tiffany. However many jewelers make excellent Tiffany replica solitaires. I don't think there is a way to do it with the small diamonds without covering more of the diamond. I'm sure that MWM, GOG, Steven, anyone could make you that ring. BGD also has a nice replica on their website
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5336

Also, if you go with a shared-prong wedding band I would recommend getting a small spacer band so that the exposed diamond girdles do not damage the engagement ring.

Is the blue box important to her? You might want to just get the Tiffany's...you would have to go smaller but if she would really love it then maybe it is worth it? It just depends on whether she would want a replica that could look very similar or the real thing but in a smaller carat size.

Ditto slg. I was just about to post the same thing. BGD's classic tiffany setting is a very close replica that I think is beautiful. And BGD does custom work so I don't see why it would be a problem to add some small diamonds to the head if she would like that.

Ultimately, you have the budget to buy the real deal if you want to. What's more important to her? The extra size, or the name?

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

She could not care less about the name. She just loves the style. Knowing her, she would think it is 10 times more special being "custom" instead of a stock Retailer brand ring.

Is there a quality difference between MWM and BGD? GOG sells MWM but not BGD. There are of course benefits of buying the setting/diamond in the same place... Assuming it works with GOG, that is :)

audball

Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315502517|3012802 said:
She could not care less about the name. She just loves the style. Knowing her, she would think it is 10 times more special being "custom" instead of a stock Retailer brand ring.

Is there a quality difference between MWM and BGD? GOG sells MWM but not BGD. There are of course benefits of buying the setting/diamond in the same place... Assuming it works with GOG, that is :)
Well then I think biggest bang for your buck will come from a non-Tiffany store. MWM would be better because you could get it through GOG, true.

In terms of quality, I haven't worked with either vendor, but from what I've read I have heard great things about both.

I THINK (correct me fellow PSers, if I'm wrong) that the biggest difference you'd see is the MWM is handmade, and the BGD is cast. Handmade may feel more special? I'd personally rather get it all from one shop (MWM through GOG) if MWM can customize the setting to your/her liking.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

audball|1315502665|3012803 said:

Well then I think biggest bang for your buck will come from a non-Tiffany store. MWM would be better because you could get it through GOG, true.

In terms of quality, I haven't worked with either vendor, but from what I've read I have heard great things about both. I THINK (correct me fellow PSers, if I'm wrong) that the biggest difference you'd see is the MWM is handmade, and BGD is cast. Handmade me feel more special?

I'd like to know if that's true or not. And what the real difference is between cast and handmade. That's the 1st I've read the distinguishment of the two.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

GOG is the only retailer that has a "deal" to sell MWM. You can get MWM through BGD but GOG has the ability to set his stuff IIRC and carries his settings in their store like for viewing and trying on purposes I believe, and BGD does not.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315502863|3012807 said:
audball|1315502665|3012803 said:

In terms of quality, I haven't worked with either vendor, but from what I've read I have heard great things about both. I THINK (correct me fellow PSers, if I'm wrong) that the biggest difference you'd see is the MWM is handmade, and BGD is cast. Handmade me feel more special?

I'd like to know if that's true or not. And what the real difference is between cast and handmade. That's the 1st I've read the distinguishment of the two.
The main difference is speed with which the item is made. Casting is WAY faster than handmaking. And he HAND MAKES it, rolls the metal, shapes the head, it's a tedious process. The finish he gives a ring is untouched by anyone else. I believe it also allows a stronger ring, though I am not sure about that for sure.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Ame, is this coming from someone who has a MWM ring? Hehe, or is his finish really known as superior? I'm so glad you guys brought this to my attention. I probably never would have gotten to "this place" in my diamond searching if not for this website.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Yep, handmade is stronger, and can be made more delicately than a comparable cast ring. This thread shows Victor Canera's method: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hand-crafting-my-victor-canera-ring-from-scratch.155293/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hand-crafting-my-victor-canera-ring-from-scratch.155293/[/URL] MWM's, if he hand forges jewelry, should be pretty similar. Casting can create porosity, which weakens the ring- hand forged pieces are worked in such a way that there is no chance of porosity, and the metal is stronger. Handmade is difficult, and time consuming; very few vendors offer it compared to the vast numbers that cast rings. You pay more for hand forged for sure, but there is a good reason!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315504526|3012828 said:
Ame, is this coming from someone who has a MWM ring? Hehe, or is his finish really known as superior? I'm so glad you guys brought this to my attention. I probably never would have gotten to "this place" in my diamond searching if not for this website.
I actually didn't end up buying from him which breaks my heart. I just could not make the budget work and get the stone I got since what I wanted was custom and not a standard design. I desperately wanted a MWM ring. I HAVE seen his work in person though and it really is unmatched. I have never seen such gorgeous DEEP shine on platinum. It looks and feels like liquid. It truly is PERFECTION.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Ame, you should earn commission for that last post, because you more than likely sold me on working with MWM, haha.

Vintagelover, I do like that setting, but I know my gf prefers a narrower prong. If you look at the Tiffany setting that I mentioned previously, you'll see the two prongs coming together, and before it reaches the top of the diamond it is only as thick as one prong. MWM's prongs meet together after the mini-diamond, and then go side-by-side to the top of the diamond, as thick as two prongs. It might not be possible because of the mini-diamonds. Not sure. I should probably start talking to Mark and see what he thinks about what I assume my gf would like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results