shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone setting for my 3.1 RB?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My partner got me a 3.1 carat G VVS1 RB for my e-ring, and right now I am trying to narrow down the setting and side stones.

We have both decided to go with the 3 stone route: either

1) round with pears, or
2) round with tapered baguettes.

In theory, I like the understated aesthetics of baguettes. But having owned a baguette 3 stone, I dislike the baguette sides as it just generally looks pretty flat. I don't know if having larger and fatter baguettes (my old ring the tapered baguettes were 0.2 each, 0.4 ctw, and were long and thin) would help make it look more sparkly, or the flatness is just an aesthetic of baguettes itself. Anyone have any thoughts on this or are familiar with baguettes please chime in!

For round with pears, I like the look and am trying to decide the size of the pear side stones. I am liking the proportions of this round with pears from Joe Escobar (I believe these pics are of the same ring):

JoeEsc1.JPG

JoeEsc2.JPG
JoeEsc3.JPG

These are the proportions of two sets of pears I am considering and how it looks against the dimensions of my stone.
Ratio.JPG

Would set 1 (the bigger pair) or set 2 go better to create the proportion I am looking for? I feel like the smaller pair looks more like what I am trying to create, but given that the pears will be angled downwards a bit after setting, will the smaller pair appear even smaller, given that they are in the "background", so to speak? Or should I try my luck with baguettes? Thoughts welcome!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who will be making the ring? I know from some others here who have had rings with baguettes and pears as side stones that the jeweler recommended what size and shape worked better with the center diamond.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
In my feeling both pear sets look a tad too big for the look you’re going after?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks , it is with a bench jeweler that my colleague recommended. He's good at execution if you have a clear vision but not necessarily someone for design/proportion advice.

@Lessics , thanks for letting me know! I was wondering the same thing for the bigger 1 ctw pair. The 2nd one I am not sure - one moment I feel like it's the perfect size, next moment I feel it's too small. I have been looking at other PSer's rings to get a sense of proportion, and it seems like what might work would be something in the 0.7 carat to 0.9 carat range. I think part of me considering going with the bigger pair is also because he is offering it to me at a good price!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the .38's would be perfect. I had .32 either side of a 2.2ct diamond, which I later upgraded to a 2.5ct center. The .32's looked spot on. Angling them down made the whole design more cohesive and the pears looked more subtle. I think for a 3.2ct stone, smaller than .38 would deplete the appearance of the ring flow around your finger.

And for what it's worth, .3 pears with 2-2.5ct is what Victor Canera chose for my diamonds - same size I chose before we'd spoken. So I do think .38 with a 3.2 center would be plenty small enough; the proportions between my ring and the stones you're considering are ostensibly the same.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b ! It puts my mind at ease that the 0.38 pear would likely go well with my center stone.

In your experience are baguettes just flat? I don't know if I got a dud baguette with poor cutting but mine seems dull (it's long and thin, I hardly see any flashes of light or fire). But when I see @nala's baguette setting and @MamaBee's bezel tapered baguette setting it seems beautiful.

Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had baguette side stones and they are kind of flat/boring. My SIL thought they were metal and part of the setting. I believe Karl K
commented on baguettes once about them being the least sparkly stone (or something to that effect).

I finally reset my stone into a solitaire which I like much better than the baguette setting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliment @Alexiszoe! I have to say that I have always gravitated to the tapered baguettes classic style since I saw the old Cartier ads. I think it is so elegant and that baguettes never steal the show from the main attraction. That said, if you are dreaming of a wall of bling—I would pick rounds for the sides. Also, will you stack? Or wear solo? Bc that will play into the design as well.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b ! It puts my mind at ease that the 0.38 pear would likely go well with my center stone.

In your experience are baguettes just flat? I don't know if I got a dud baguette with poor cutting but mine seems dull (it's long and thin, I hardly see any flashes of light or fire). But when I see @nala's baguette setting and @MamaBee's bezel tapered baguette setting it seems beautiful.

I love baguette sides. But they definitely meld in with the setting - especially if it's platinum. For a three stone look, I prefer something that extends out past the band and adds more to the design when viewed from above. So I vote pears.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I lote pears!! I had a baguette setting, as it was my dream setting when i was young, and as much as i loved it, it never wowed me. As stated above, it melded in with the setting to much (my setting was platinum), and they were so hard to keep clean (i am a clean ring fanatic!!) The pears are classic, and remind me of Tiffany & Co.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@nala , I had just about given up on baguettes until I saw your setting and it made me do a double take. Your baguettes and the setting had this wow factor for me! I don't intend to stack - it's going to be the e-ring and the wedding band, although I am not sure what the band will look like just yet.

What I do want is a 3 stone look that would compliment the center stone nicely rather than a wall of bling. Hence my initial thought of going back to a baguette but having it fatter and shorter instead of the usual long and thin look. Does your baguettes generally look "flat" or meld into the setting?

@mrs-b . When you say the pear extends out past the band, is it uncomfortable to wear? My concern with the pears and the v-prong tips is that it will be pokey on the sides of the fingers and be uncomfortable to wear.

Thanks @tyty333 and @meesmom. Were your baguette settings also long and thin? I am trying to figure out if having something that's a little broader - like this (see pic below) would work. The one in the pics is 0.75 ctw on a 3.7 carat sapphire. Jeweler said given the size and width I would have to do custom cut which is going to be $$$.

Eragem.JPG

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would call them trapezoids 'traps' - there is one such ring around.

arabellan

Rough_Rock
Hi, which side stones did you decide on, I’m in a similar situation where I have a 3.10ct round brilliant and I have ordered pear sidestones but then saw this setting and I’m now very stuck on which I
Prefer

68809054-2CF8-478E-90CB-7C911B0244E0.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results