shape
carat
color
clarity

3 or 8 prong martini''s for 2.4 ctw studs? And what about backs? help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -

Well, after copious amounts of research and deliberation (and some creative cost justification) I''ve pretty much decided to go with a set of 2.4 cts H&A studs, I/J SI2 (and fully upgradeable). I thought that I wanted a three prong martini, but I''ve also seen some photos of stones that size in eight prong martinis and now I''m torn!

Would either be better suited to the size I''m looking at or to masking any color warmth in the stones from the side profile? Also, what kinds of backs are preferable for that size of stone? I''m concerned with losing them so I''d like either a screw back or a protector back, but I''m not sure if there are other options available?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
1.gif

samii

Rough_Rock
I love the 8 martini prongs - just something about them make me drool!

As for the backs, I''d definitely go for at least a screw back - I know I wish I had one on my current 1.00 ctw studs - when I upgrade them to the Whiteflash W Prongs will certainly go for them. Would hate the thought of those babies falling out :)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely vote for a push back!

I have them on my 2.5ct studs and I wouldn''t have it any other way!

I remember when screw-backs were IT for earring backings...but people who have owned them (myself included) will probably tell you that the backing strips over time. This didn''t happen to me (fortunately)...but it did happen to my Mom, who lost her diamond earring, sadly.

If you''re considering larger studs, I would go for the push back...it''s really as safe as a screw back because if the backing slides, it falls into a groove which will not allow it to fall off!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2008 12:15:48 AM
Author:bem3231
Hi all -

Well, after copious amounts of research and deliberation (and some creative cost justification) I''ve pretty much decided to go with a set of 2.4 cts H&A studs, I/J SI2 (and fully upgradeable). I thought that I wanted a three prong martini, but I''ve also seen some photos of stones that size in eight prong martinis and now I''m torn!

Would either be better suited to the size I''m looking at or to masking any color warmth in the stones from the side profile? Also, what kinds of backs are preferable for that size of stone? I''m concerned with losing them so I''d like either a screw back or a protector back, but I''m not sure if there are other options available?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
1.gif
I guess in theory, the 8 prong would mask any warmth seen from the side, but with that calibre of diamond, any visible warmth will be minimal, also as they are earrings it is less likely to be noticeable anyway.

Those are going to be incredible earrings!
30.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Either 3- or 8-prongs will be beautiful in that size. Personally, I would go with 3-prong...

As for earring backs, I would highly recommend heavy friction pushbacks. I have 2.25 cttw studs and I wear them all the time (except to clean). The heavy friction backs are extremely secure and I do not worry about ever losing an earring. I considered getting the la pousette backs, but was advised against them...and read here on PS that the screwbacks were also not recommended (stripping over time and uncomfortable when putting in and out of the earlobe).

Anyway, my $0.02. HTH.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I think I may have to searcn for a photo of 8-prong. . . I''ve never seen them!

I havea pair of 2.06 cttw set 3 prong martini''s and LOOOOVE them!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I need to ask a few more silly questions because I''m not totally familiar with the earring back ''vernacular''...

Would a ''heavy friction pushback'' be just like a normal earring backing only larger? And what is a ''la pousette''?

I have had earrings with screwbacks (I agree that this is not ideal but, as I said, I''m not up-to-date on the alternatives), and I have also had backings where you push the sides in to move a larger securing disk which has grooves that it will click into - is that a ''la pousette''?

Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Here is pair made by Quest--4 prong martini:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yay-my-new-1-5-cttw-custom-four-prong-martini-studs-from-quest.54237/

8 prong:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-prong-martini-studs.39350/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-prong-martini-studs-2-4-ctw.61861/

The la pousette is as you describe--spring/tension back that you push into a premade groove on the post. I have them on a large diamond dangle earring and find they work very well; I had screwbacks on 12mm golden pearls that I found to be a pain.

cheers--Sharon

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I vote for the 8-prongs! Its'' soooo purty and looks different!

I would STRONGLY DISCOURAGE you from getting screw backs - that is what I opted for with my earrings as I too, was concerned about the size and losing them (3.80ctw). Let me tell you, it has been a MAJOR pain to put them on and take them off. I love the security of it now, but I think that in a few months, I will have to have the posts switched to la pousettes after all
6.gif

Cant wait to see photos! Im on an 8-prong ANYTHING kick right now and loving everything with 8 prongs
30.gif
30.gif
!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
This has been very helpful - thanks!

I think that I''m leaning towards an 8 prong, but we''ll see!

Can someone clarify what a ''heavy friction pushback'' is - is it just a regular pushback but, well, larger and heavier?

Thanks!
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I adore, covet, so desperately want 8 prong martinis! So that''s my vote
9.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong
8 prong

9.gif
I am so jelous!!!!!!!!!!!! I so badly wanted 8 prongs for my wee likle studlings, but alas, they are more suited for biggies like yours
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I cannot wait to see these and live through you! haha.

PS. I''d go heavy friction back and dont look back! They are so totally secure.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''d go with push backs and as added back up INSURANCE on them!!!

FWIW, my smaller studs are screw backs and only one of them stripped over time. I got in the habit of checking them a few times a day to be sure the back hadn''t unscrewed too far. So far, with my new studs, the push backs I choose have stayed in place. One day my son came up and grabbed my head and believe it or not, his finger nail caught my earring and nearly yanked it out! I need to get them insurance because regardless of the back style, you cannot guarantee they''ll stay put.

I love the 8 prong and that''d look great with your studs.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the 8 prong too! So pretty!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
How lucky for you! Can''t wait until you find the diamonds you want to have set!

I haveve 3 prong martinis, and love them, but I also LOVE the 8 prongs - so can''t help you make that decision.

Also, I wear my 1.02 tcw. screwback studs daily, and also have a pair of friction backs. I have to say, I feel so much more secure with the screwbacks on - I''ve never had them strip. I have lost a friction back diamond earring, but luckily found it a few days later.

It''s really up to you, though.
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you really see that much of the setting for earrings so I vote for the 3 prong martinis with push backs. That is what I chose for my own 2.5 carat total studs and I love them. It looks as though they are floating on my ear lobes.

W2W

Rough_Rock
I''m with Sundial. I just bought 2.44tcw aca''s studs from Whiteflash and I should have them this weekend. I went with the 3 prong martinis with the pushbacks. To me, the less metal the better. I only want to see diamond on my ears.

Btw, I have screwbacks on my 1.5tcw and one of them has stripped. The screw has been almost completely off several times recently when I''ve checked it. It''s only been 2 years and I rarely take them off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d have the martini''s made with 4 prongs like the ones Quest made for Facetfire!!! There''s something I like better about an even number of prongs as opposed to 3, but 8 prongs is a little too many for me.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are 1 CTW, but maybe because my piercings had stretched out a bit, they kind of sagged - I got the really big push backs - they are totally secure - I only EVER take them off to clean them, or for black tie I have emerald/diamond dangles. I''ve never had a problem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results