shape
carat
color
clarity

3 new rings (chrysoberyl, gem silica & Afghan tourmaline)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I received my new rings from Sally. I wanted a few low-key, easy-to-wear rings so I decided to go for simple settings, bezels and non-pave/halos. I've dialled back on CS for the year, so I think my remaining stones won't be set until 2016 at the earliest. :wavey:

Gem silica and rubies, 18k yellow gold
I bought the gem silica from Chris Auletta. It is 4ct, 12x8mm and had a repolish by Ryan Quantz. The rubies are 2.5mm Burmese heat-only.
gemsilicaring1.jpg gemsilicaindoor.jpg

The loose stone:
uploadfromtaptalk1429524063577.jpg

Chrysoberyl, 18k yellow gold bezel, silver shank
I bought the 2.5ct Tunduru chrysoberyl cushion from Prima Gems at the June gem show in Hong Kong. Not precision cut but the cutting is decent (no window). It was more of a bright lemon yellow before being set. Now it is slightly richer/deeper yellow in color but in direct sunlight it still has a bright yellow color. I'm finding it difficult to accurate capture the color that I see in person. I went for silver because I was on budget, also Sally does not work in platinum and I don't like and can't wear white gold due to allergies. I took a risk because I did not previously like two-tone rings, but it works for me in tthis setting. :bigsmile:
chrysoring4.jpg
chrysoring2_0.jpg
chrysoprofile.jpg

The loose stone:
uploadfromtaptalk1435497276170.jpg

0.88 ct Afghan tourmaline in matte 18k yellow gold stacker
After being set, the color has deepened slightly, and I think the yellow gold makes it slightly more green. However it is still more blue than green. Tiny but packs a punch. The tourmaline was originally purchased from Beau Patterson. :)
afghantourmring4.jpg afghantourmring3.jpg afghantourmring1.jpg

The loose stone:
2015-05-07_07_1.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 3 new rings (chrysoberyl, gem silica & Afghan tourmaline

Your gem color palette continues to amaze me :love:

I should know better than to open one of your threads.... my wishlist just grew :whistle:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mochiko!! Or should I say queen of fabulousness...
You have acquired 3 stunning rings. Each amazingly beautiful and all radiate such elegance.
I love your feel for colors and style. All three rings look amazing on you.
My prrsonal favourite is that glowing tourmaline. The EW setting is a perfect choice for it.
Please post a lot more pics!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful new additions! :love: Thanks so much for sharing.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

:appl: Beautiful additions to an already fabulous collection. My favourite is the gem silica.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! Colors of Caribbean waters and the sun. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely new additions! All your pieces have this understated elegance that is just amazing, and of course all look great on you!

Especially love the tourmaline--so glowy!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love them all...so gorgeous. :love:

I do have a particular fondness for the first one (I like the color play) and of course the tourmaline..so pretty.

S

SparkliesLuver

You did it again, mochiko. Like lilmosun, I think your color palette and design sense are awesome. All three are distinct in their own right, yet you can tell they belong to your collection. I love your ability to do that! You know I'm a sucker for your gem silica and tourmaline - those colors get me every time - and the way you set them only enhances their shape and beauty. Very well done! :)

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful, elegant, easy to wear rings that highlight your eye for gems and Sally's craftsmanship. I like them all equally, well maybe the chryso a bit more

Enjoy them

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock

Lovely rings! I am particularly fond of that tourmaline. :appl:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very lovely. I especially like the gem silica and how you set it. Enjoy!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That tourmaline is just WOW. I love it. :love:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I know nothing about gem silica but now I want one! That's really stunning.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely rings, thanks for sharing, and I hope I get to see them in person later this year in HK perhaps.

DK :bigsmile:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OOOOH, mochiko, gem silica :dance: -- and what a wonderful setting for it!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to stop by. :) Normally I would try to respond individually, but I'm frantically packing for a 17 hour flight (Hong Kong to Chicago via Seoul incheon) -- will be traveling in the US for 3 weeks -- and I also want to go to the gem show in HK this afternoon (and if possible hunt down David Klass who is in town!!!). I also wish I had time to comment on all the other awesome pieces that everyone's been posting recently.. so many gorgeous gems! :love: :love:

I will say that gem silica was an amazing discovery for me (I love how it is also colored by copper..). I haven't seen many gem silica pieces on PS. I only discovered it when I was looking at the gallery of pieces that Sally has made in the past, and saw she made an amazing gem silica pendant for another customer:
http://www.namchaijewels.com/#!heike%27s-gem-silica/zoom/c1qjh/image_1r20

Next up for me, when I have the funds, is a quest for Peruvian blue opal :D

In lieu of individual responses, I will give you more photos: :naughty:

Natural light.
family_1.jpg
backlit.jpg profile_6.jpg shaded_0.jpg hand_7.jpg

Fluorescent lighting (office)
fluors.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow Mochiko! Sooo beautiful! I could stare at them all day. I really love the gem silica and tourmaline. Happy for you!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your new pics :love: :love: :love:
Happy travelling! Say hi to DK if you meet him.

Which of your new rings will you wear during your trip?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Acinom,

Sadly, I think I was too ambitious. I only had 2 hours for the show, when I got there to the venue for the Loose Gems and Materials show, I realized there was a line of 300+ people waiting to register to enter. :angryfire: I didn't have the time because I also had to meet my friend whose family company has a booth set up at the venue for the Finished Jewellery show (the two venues are 1 hr train ride away from each other). I was carrying a box of Chinese mooncakes for her so I had to rush to meet her (her company makes really blingy diamond parures and high end jewellery sets for the Middle Eastern clients, everytime I visit their booth I feel like Miss America!) So I ended up not going to see Prima Gems, DK or any of the vendors on my list this time.. so sad, I had my (limited) spending money in my handbag all ready for a Mahenge. :wall:

In past shows I never had to wait more than 10-20 people in line to register.. I guess it was a bad idea to go on the first day. (although I should have known.. this is one of the biggest gem show in the world, it has about 60000 visitors and almost 4,000 vendors in 135000 sq meters space)

But I got a photo of the entrance!!! *lol* :lol:
11821790_491268834386913_1076494800_n.jpg

I guess I will try again at the November show when I *don't* have an international flight to catch.

DK, definitely, let's have a mini PS GTG in November. I should be around then. I hope you bring some of your JD stones. :D

(need to go back to packing.. we leave for the airport in 3 hours!! Sadly I am not taking my rings with me, only a few cheap silver pieces. I don't feel comfortable bringing them to the US.. I guess I have lived outside the US for too long, I feel so unsafe now whenever I visit the US due to hearing about all the gun shootings and muggings etc. :confused: )

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh...how disappointing (on the gem show, not the added pictures which are even more :love: ). Looking forward to a following your mahenge hunt and find in the future. Safe travels :wavey:

(I was wondering how you were going to stick with your resolve not to set any more stones this year after meeting DK :tongue: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your collection is increasing beautifully. Just about everything you create is timeless elegance, be it simple or ornate, but most of all, it pleases you. Wishing you safe travels. It's a very long trip.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just popping in to say that I think it is awesome that despite all your lovely jewelry pieces your avator is a cow in a hat and a lei. It doesn't get any better than that. :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am hoping to have 4 rings made in time for my HK trip in November.

I may also bring the next lot of stones to be set to HK with me.

DK :))

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry about your gem show disappointment, but your new pieces are lovely! :love: :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Your ring inspired me to buy my own gem silica. It's on its way to me as we speak! I had to wrap my mind about the elongated shape, but I think I can still make a ring work.

12003036_10153578895484354_230845087169189038_n.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb|1442694953|3929601 said:
Your ring inspired me to buy my own gem silica. It's on its way to me as we speak! I had to wrap my mind about the elongated shape, but I think I can still make a ring work.

I'm so happy you got this one, jstarfireb!! I had inquired about it after seeing Mochikos ring, but decided the shape would be too difficult. But happy to see that I can still admire it in pictures !! Can't wait to see what you think of it when it arrives!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1442701499|3929630 said:
jstarfireb|1442694953|3929601 said:

I'm so happy you got this one, jstarfireb!! I had inquired about it after seeing Mochikos ring, but decided the shape would be too difficult. But happy to see that I can still admire it in pictures !! Can't wait to see what you think of it when it arrives!

Jstarfireb, thank you for sharing your gem silica! I'm glad you got one as there aren't too many examples of gem silica on PS. I hope you love it in person. To me, the best gem silica glows in a similar way to translucent jade (a waxy luster) but it's blue instead of green. The elongated shape is a bit tricky to set - what are your plans for it? While it looks like a very good example of top quality gem silica, Jason's a great vendor so at least you're covered if it doesn't fit the setting you had in mind. :angel:

Love dogs, are you a member of the fine faceted gems Facebook group? Someone is selling a 3ct fan-shaped /fancy trillion gem silica at a very reasonable price.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1442705020|3929650 said:
Jstarfireb, thank you for sharing your gem silica! I'm glad you got one as there aren't too many examples of gem silica on PS. I hope you love it in person. To me, the best gem silica glows in a similar way to translucent jade (a waxy luster) but it's blue instead of green. The elongated shape is a bit tricky to set - what are your plans for it? While it looks like a very good example of top quality gem silica, Jason's a great vendor so at least you're covered if it doesn't fit the setting you had in mind. :angel:

Love dogs, are you a member of the fine faceted gems Facebook group? Someone is selling a 3ct fan-shaped /fancy trillion gem silica at a very reasonable price.

Thanks, Mochiko! I did see that one earlier and strongly considered it since the price is incredible, but it's a tad larger than I'd prefer, and the color isn't quite as amazing as yours :boohoo: But I'm talking to a vendor about buying this one.

IMG_3699.jpg IMG_3702.jpg

It's much smaller (.90), but I think the color is more what I would want, and the price is also extremely reasonable.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I had reservations about the shape until Chris A posed some ring setting ideas (and reduced the price...I'd be lying if I said that weren't a factor!), and I realized I could pull it off. I have very long fingers and actually really like long north/south rings. I need to add some metal embellishments on the sides to widen the appearance a bit, but I'm sure it will be doable. That particular stone was probably the best quality I could afford - nice ones on AJS were a lot more than I paid for it - so I figured I could get creative to work with the shape.

I really like that one, lovedogs! I scoured the internet for good alternatives, but AJS didn't respond to my email inquiry about one of them, and that's the only vendor that I could find with a decent selection. I will be in Arizona in a few weeks, though, and I was thinking about stopping buy a local lapidary to see what they have. Can't hurt to have more than one!

Edit: Here are some ring inspiration pics...

1_30246_zm_peruvian-amazonite-elongated-ring.jpg

41ubstsa6bl.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results