shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Carat Radiant Cut Color H Budget $30-$35K

rynob

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am looking for a 3 Carat Radiant Cut Color H with a budget around $30-$35K. Do not want any exterior markings on the diamonds but I am ok with some imperfections within the diamond. I would like a larger table on the diamond. Can be square or rectangular. I am in Chicago FYI. Thoughts? And any possible specific diamond suggestions that you have seen?

Would also like a simple pave setting where the diamonds go more than half way down the band.

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who is the radiant for?
A larger table is the wrong thing to ask for, no matter what you read.
Did the wearer specifically ask for a radiant?
What exactly did the wearer specifically request?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1473804242|4076048 said:
Who is the radiant for?
If this is the tact, we need to ask EVERY person looking for a diamond who it's for, and if they're sure they want it.

Rynob,
Sorry for the interruption, I'm curious to why Gypsy asked the question- my impression is that since she asks EVERY radiant buyer this- but not buyers of other shapes, maybe it's because she does not love radiant cuts= and assumes that no one else will either......
In the real world, although round is the most popular shape Radiant cuts are indeed popular- in the same way many other fancy shapes are.

About table size....most likely you're looking for a stone that has good size for the weight, yes?
It's really not possible to ascertain that aspect from the table size, you'll need to look at overall dimensions (LxW)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1473804792|4076055 said:
Gypsy|1473804242|4076048 said:
Who is the radiant for?
If this is the tact, we need to ask EVERY person looking for a diamond who it's for, and if they're sure they want it.

Rynob,
Sorry for the interruption, I'm curious to why Gypsy asked the question- my impression is that since she asks EVERY radiant buyer this- but not buyers of other shapes, maybe it's because she does not love radiant cuts= and assumes that no one else will either......
In the real world, although round is the most popular shape Radiant cuts are indeed popular- in the same way many other fancy shapes are.

About table size....most likely you're looking for a stone that has good size for the weight, yes?
It's really not possible to ascertain that aspect from the table size, you'll need to look at overall dimensions (LxW)

Of course Gypsy can speak for herself here, but I've seen her ask this question to 75% or more of everyone posting here, ESPECIALLY if they are looking for a "fancy" cut rather than a round. I assume she asks this because fancy cuts can be a love/hate kind of thing, and sometimes the buyer (especially if they are someone who is here because they don't know a lot about diamonds) doesn't realize that. As an aside example, my now DH thought marquise stones looked "neat!" in the store when we went shopping together, but I didn't like them on me and wouldn't have asked for one. So had he purchased one without asking it might have been a pricey error.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It hasn't looked that way to me Lovedogs- if I'm incorrect, my apologies- but I do watch a lot of Radiant threads. It does seem that without fail Gypsy asks radiant shoppers this series of questions - I do look at questions on other shapes too and have not seen the questions- but it is a big forum:) Maybe I missed it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1473809713|4076103 said:
It hasn't looked that way to me Lovedogs- if I'm incorrect, my apologies- but I do watch a lot of Radiant threads. It does seem that without fail Gypsy asks radiant shoppers this series of questions - I do look at questions on other shapes too and have not seen the questions- but it is a big forum:) Maybe I missed it.
Rockdiamond. I am going to continue to ignore you. The more you try to attack me, the more convinced I am that I am correct in my opinion of you. Try something new....leave me alone or take up your complaints with the moderators.

You do not get to dictate how any prosumer on here interacts with the posters. You are not a moderator. I do not have to justify or explain anything to you.

And just for the record.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-90k-budget-3-3-3-8ct-thoughts.225436/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-90k-budget-3-3-3-8ct-thoughts.225436/[/URL]

I ask most people this question in many different ways. See above thread for example. Even when they want a round. My goal is to ensure that the ultimate wearer of the ring has input on such a large purchase. I am done with your personal attacks. Leave me alone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am one of the few PCer's who've a radiant diamond. And a large one at that--5 carat center. I wore it for 10 years with joy. It also had a fairly large table. (Yet), it was as stunner.

Thing is, you have to see this cut IRL. Case by case basis because while I loved mine I have seen other faceting patterns that I would not buy: hence, the table is just ONE variable to be considered.

Radiant cuts have never been promoted on PS and never will be. It is what it is.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1473813266|4076132 said:
HI:

I am one of the few PCer's who've a radiant diamond. And a large one at that--5 carat center. I wore it for 10 years with joy. It also had a fairly large table. (Yet), it was as stunner.

Thing is, you have to see this cut IRL. Case by case basis because while I loved mine I have seen other faceting patterns that I would not buy: hence, the table is just ONE variable to be considered.

Radiant cuts have never been promoted on PS and never will be. It is what it is.

cheers--Sharon

I adore that ring of yours. An all time favorite of mine. To explain my table comment: the cut of the stone as a whole is much more important than any one measurement. Requiring a large table may result in the elimination of a beautiful stone. Some sites promote that a larger table means that the stone will look bigger. This is BS especially with fancies: a poorly performing stone will look smaller regardless of table size. And a well performing stone will look larger regardless of table size.

Faceting and performance, a safe girdle and spread are all that matter when it comes to the cutting on fancy shapes.

rynob

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for their comments. In my opinion, correct me if I am worng but it appears that Radiant cut seems relatively mainstream.

Yes I am looking for a stone with a good size for the wight.

As for looking for a larger table %, in this cut at a lower table % it appears to be more of a cushion cut.This is the main reason I am considering the larger table, as it appears to improve the look of the diamond in my opinion not necessarily because it affects how large the diamond appears. I agree it is a limiting factor, and if I find I stone I like that does not have a larger table % I would consider it.

This cut was suggested by the person I am buying the diamond for.

What is everyone'es thoughts. In addition I was given quotes for some diamonds and they appeared that SI1 clarity was reasonable. I looked at the GIA reports and it did not appear that the clarity with these SI1 were that visible. One included some twinning wisps.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the person who will be wearing this included radiants in their list of possible shapes? That's a good start.

Radiants come in rectangles an squares. Do you know if the wearer wants a square stone or a rectangular stone?

Did they also mention other shapes? Perhaps cushions or emerald cuts?

As for radiants being 'mainstream' it really depends on your definition of 'mainstream'. Diamond shapes go in and out of fashion all the time, with the exception of rounds which are always in fashion. In the 80's for example marquise were hot, then from the 90's-2015 they were largely OUT. And now they are coming back. Radiants have never been wildly popular and they are one of the hardest shapes to shop for in many respects. But let's worry about that some more later.

Let's explore the wearer preferences for now.

Does the person have a Pinterest account? If so can look and see if there are any rings posted on there? And if there are either post the images for us, or just link us to them and we'll take a look.

That would be best. So fingers crossed for a pinterest account.

rynob

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1473819673|4076180 said:
So the person who will be wearing this included radiants in their list of possible shapes? That's a good start.

Radiants come in rectangles an squares. Do you know if the wearer wants a square stone or a rectangular stone?

Did they also mention other shapes? Perhaps cushions or emerald cuts?

As for radiants being 'mainstream' it really depends on your definition of 'mainstream'. Diamond shapes go in and out of fashion all the time, with the exception of rounds which are always in fashion. In the 80's for example marquise were hot, then from the 90's-2015 they were largely OUT. And now they are coming back. Radiants have never been wildly popular and they are one of the hardest shapes to shop for in many respects. But let's worry about that some more later.

Let's explore the wearer preferences for now.

Does the person have a Pinterest account? If so can look and see if there are any rings posted on there? And if there are either post the images for us, or just link us to them and we'll take a look.

That would be best. So fingers crossed for a pinterest account.

No Pinterest account. Did mention being interested in cushion cuts. They seem rather similar to radiant a but more round. The radiant would be a more rectangular stone but not opposed to square.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushions are easier to shop for, because there is a lot more selection of nice cushions out there. Also cushions generally have better spread (face up size for the carat weight) than radiants. And, since it is easier to get stones with great light performance they hide color better.

You may think a 3 carat stone is a three carat stone in terms of size. That is not the case. A three carat oval is going to be much larger than a 3 carat radiant, for example because of the way the different shapes hold their weight. So spread matters.

Let me see what I can find for you.

Is 30-35 just for the stone, or does it include the setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So 3 carat stones are few and far between. They are rare. Well cut ones in fancy shapes are rarer. Well cut 3 carat radiants IN BUDGET and over H color (and I would NOT go down in color with a radiant, unless you just went for a yellow stone) are like hens teeth. Well cut cushions are very rare as well. So let's go for the best stone of either shape, just to increase your pool of possibilities.

Is she set on a white diamond, or would she consider yellow radiant? Cause this is lovely: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/D350-0428262Z8

Over budget but is the only 3 carat H or better radiant that I would recommend: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/3.00-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-28361 It does have the huge table you wanted.

Here's a beautiful cushion: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C304-4Z9Z21596 you can ask for an ASET image. And this is the stone I'd recommend. Ask for an ASET image of it.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.01-Cushion--GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-CU22688-cert-3215181305 Ask for an ASET this one has a lot of potential.

Also over budget, but fabulous and the ASET is posted already so you know it is a fabulous stone: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-3-01-Carat-G-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-719529392

I could not gt B2C to work for me. It's having some kind of issue.

So that's pretty much the extent of the nicest stones in cushion or radiant shape in your budget and with your specs (H or better and SI1 clarity or better)

As you can see, well cut diamonds in the 3 carat range are rare. If you want a large looking diamond forget about table. It's light performance that matters. A well performing stone looks larger than a poorly cut one.

rynob

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1473822531|4076205 said:
So 3 carat stones are few and far between. They are rare. Well cut ones in fancy shapes are rarer. Well cut 3 carat radiants IN BUDGET and over H color (and I would NOT go down in color with a radiant, unless you just went for a yellow stone) are like hens teeth. Well cut cushions are very rare as well. So let's go for the best stone of either shape, just to increase your pool of possibilities.

Is she set on a white diamond, or would she consider yellow radiant? Cause this is lovely: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/D350-0428262Z8

Over budget but is the only 3 carat H or better radiant that I would recommend: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/3.00-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-28361 It does have the huge table you wanted.

Here's a beautiful cushion: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C304-4Z9Z21596 you can ask for an ASET image. And this is the stone I'd recommend. Ask for an ASET image of it.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.01-Cushion--GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-CU22688-cert-3215181305 Ask for an ASET this one has a lot of potential.

Also over budget, but fabulous and the ASET is posted already so you know it is a fabulous stone: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-3-01-Carat-G-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-719529392

I could not gt B2C to work for me. It's having some kind of issue.

So that's pretty much the extent of the nicest stones in cushion or radiant shape in your budget and with your specs (H or better and SI1 clarity or better)

As you can see, well cut diamonds in the 3 carat range are rare. If you want a large looking diamond forget about table. It's light performance that matters. A well performing stone looks larger than a poorly cut one.

Thank you so much. What are things to look for in order to get a "well performing stone"

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI All,
Gypsy,
Looking at what I wrote, I can see that it could be seen as an "attack"- but really that's not my intention.
I do feel that you treat radiant cuts in an unfair manner, and I also felt the need to point it out given that we are all here assisting consumers- but looking at your response, maybe I can see why you ask these questions.
1) they're harder to find than cushions- we agree.
2) they're much harder to "quantify" using ASET and other online tools that work well for other shapes. We agree there too.
Given that this is a forum where the vast majority of purchasers are looking online, it makes sense that Radiant cuts are harder to suggest given that you are not an expert on selecting or finding them.
Given that many people come here and seek your assistance, maybe letting them know that Radiant cuts are "not your thing" might be a good idea instead of discouraging radiant shopppers....just sayin'.

rynob- you mention you're in Chicago and you had a question about larger tables- have you looked at any stones locally?

Part of what I see going on here on PS is that there's an attempt to find radiant cuts that look more like other "ideal" cut fancy shapes. Such stones will have a smaller table, higher crown, leading to a crisper facet pattern that will "perform" better in ASET- which is a large part of why I detest this word "performance" being related to the way a diamond is cut. These smaller tabled stones are not what the creator of the cut had in mind- or what I find people love to look at in person when I show them both types. So it's not that one type of stone "performs better"- they are just different. Stones which follow the path of the creator of the cut are generally spreadier- meaning they have great surface are ( look larger) than a stone cut to "perform" in ASET.
From your comment, it seems that you probably like the dazzling "crushed ice" effect. It's very common for people to love this look when they see it in person- but it gets trashed online. Back to my earlier point- it's far more difficult to choose such stones online, hence the tendency to suggest that people looking for radiant cuts should consider other shapes. \

If you want that angular look, a cushion will NOT do the job.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so now you've moved on to condescending to me and insulting me. Yup. That was one hell of an "apology" David. Again, leave me alone. I know how to pick radiants just fine. Again, you do not get to dictate what any prosumer does on here, and you certainly do not get to dictate what I do or say.

Rynob, i will post for you later on today. Great question!!

rynob

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1473875869|4076474 said:
HI All,
Gypsy,
Looking at what I wrote, I can see that it could be seen as an "attack"- but really that's not my intention.
I do feel that you treat radiant cuts in an unfair manner, and I also felt the need to point it out given that we are all here assisting consumers- but looking at your response, maybe I can see why you ask these questions.
1) they're harder to find than cushions- we agree.
2) they're much harder to "quantify" using ASET and other online tools that work well for other shapes. We agree there too.
Given that this is a forum where the vast majority of purchasers are looking online, it makes sense that Radiant cuts are harder to suggest given that you are not an expert on selecting or finding them.
Given that many people come here and seek your assistance, maybe letting them know that Radiant cuts are "not your thing" might be a good idea instead of discouraging radiant shopppers....just sayin'.

rynob- you mention you're in Chicago and you had a question about larger tables- have you looked at any stones locally?

Part of what I see going on here on PS is that there's an attempt to find radiant cuts that look more like other "ideal" cut fancy shapes. Such stones will have a smaller table, higher crown, leading to a crisper facet pattern that will "perform" better in ASET- which is a large part of why I detest this word "performance" being related to the way a diamond is cut. These smaller tabled stones are not what the creator of the cut had in mind- or what I find people love to look at in person when I show them both types. So it's not that one type of stone "performs better"- they are just different. Stones which follow the path of the creator of the cut are generally spreadier- meaning they have great surface are ( look larger) than a stone cut to "perform" in ASET.
From your comment, it seems that you probably like the dazzling "crushed ice" effect. It's very common for people to love this look when they see it in person- but it gets trashed online. Back to my earlier point- it's far more difficult to choose such stones online, hence the tendency to suggest that people looking for radiant cuts should consider other shapes. \

If you want that angular look, a cushion will NOT do the job.

I was able to see this diamond in person. It has a nice color F, and none of the inclusion were visible to my eye at least. I am concerned about the Clarity with the twinning. It is a nice size stone below my budget and a better color than I expected, but lower Clarity than I was looking for. What is everyone's though on this, and twinning wisps at this price point.

http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/Results/D32967322?gclid=COflnIXUj88CFcxkhgodDbUEVQ

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Rynob,
I can't comment on any specific diamond- but I can say that if you saw a diamond in person, you would spot a clarity issue, if there was one ( assuming you have good eyes, and were looking in adequate lighting).
Twining wisps sound worse than they really are.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't buy Radiants from lab reports. And I can't evaluate one from a lab report. I would need the images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1473882139|4076528 said:
you certainly do not get to dictate what I do or say.

I would think the same would apply to you, yet you keep telling another poster what they can say.

No dog in this fight, I just find this very interesting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kb1gra|1473889769|4076594 said:

I would think the same would apply to you, yet you keep telling another poster what they can say.

Well. I'm not a vendor.

I'm a prosumer. There are different rules for prosumers. Read the thread I posted for the OP. You will see the controversy about what RD is presenting as "reasonable." Even most of the vendors on here don't drink his kool aid. He certainly doesn't get to bully a prosumer on a board FOR prosumers into drinking it. Two completely different things, IMO.

When I was new on these boards the more senior prosumers advised me all the time. The same way I do now.

I don't consider telling someone not to post inaccurate information "telling them what they can say." I posted all kinds of things I was told when I first started to post on RT. And I was corrected by the senior members of the board and educated by them.

So now that I am one of the senior posters, that's what I do. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rockytalky-prosumer-guidelines.145983/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rockytalky-prosumer-guidelines.145983/[/URL] These are the prosumer's guidelines and that's what I adhere to.

If I overstep, please tell me.

I 'grew up' on this board coached by Mara, Ellen and many other prosumers that no longer (sadly) post. And I was GENTLY educated by vendors like Wink, and Jon, and John Pollard. But NONE of those vendors ever TOLD A PROSUMER what to post. They understood boundaries. They educated and let us make up our own mind. This is something RD doesn't respect. I fully UNDERSTAND his point. I just disagree with it. Along with 90% of the vendors on here. Disagreeing with him, with my eyes wide open, doesn't make me INCOMPETENT to advise people. Which is what he would like. He would like me to just shut up because I don't agree with him BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH RADIANTS. And he doesn't get to do that. Heck, another Prosumer, like Diamondseeker wouldn't tell me to do that. Let alone a vendor.

With respect to radiants. 90% of the time when men come on here and ask for radiants they do so because they like them. Not because the wearer does. In fact most of the time, when they finally ask their SO's based on our advice, they find out that in fact a Radiant is NOT what the wearer wants.

There were 2 recent radiant threads that show that. Here's one of them: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-a-good-radiant-cut-diamond-please-helppppp.223679/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-a-good-radiant-cut-diamond-please-helppppp.223679/[/URL] the second one went the same way. Guy wanted a radiant. We told him to talk to his lady. She wanted a round not a radiant.

If I had done as RD asked and NOT asked those questions those women, both of whom wanted rounds, would be getting rings that they wouldn't love.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so.

Let's get this thread back on track. Enough with the derailments. We are here to help the OP.

OP.

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. With fancies though, cut is complicated. Both with cushions and radiants there are MANY facet patterns (I'll post images below) for each shape. And each facet pattern has different needs for table/depth and angles. So the numbers on the lab report don't do anything for us. So we are left with pictures and videos.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good fancy online than to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds. Enchanted Diamonds also provides ASETs.

So shopping online require images, a video if available, and an ASET. With Radiants this is further complicated. Why? Because the traditional radiant cut-- the crushed ice facet pattern-- ASETs very poorly. In general the best you can hope for is a lot of green and some flecks of red. Also complicating the radiant is the fact that, unlike well cut cushions, the traditional radiant isn't cut to gather the majority of the light it returns from the crown and table of the stone. So you have to be very careful how you set them as they do best when they are set in open settings that let in a lot of light from the side.

Shopping in person is different. But can be just as risky. Your vendor might pull 3 stones for you to look at. Two of them are duds. And one of them is clearly nicer. So you might think: hey, that's the stone for me. But... you don't know if that stone is REALLY a nice stone. Or if the stone is just an average stone that looks GOOD because of the dogs it was placed next to. And you are a newbie.

So here's what I am going to recommend to you. Go to Dimend Scaasi. You are in Chicago. Call them in advance and tell them you want to see NICE cushions and radiants in person. And in budget. See what they call in for you. And go in and see them.

IN THE MEANTIME. Now that B2C is working again. I am going to do another search for you.

Is there a reason you prefer radiants? It sounds like the wearer would be happy with cushions and radiants equally. And several of the ones I found are quite straight edged, not very rounded at all. And they do face up larger than radiants.

So these are all radiants. Cut corner square brilliants. See the differences in the faceting between them ?

This is Sharon's (who posted above about her radiant, this is the ring she was referring to, one of my all time favorites)
radiant-cut-diamond-ring-canuk-gal.jpg

This is a square radiant more a more 'cushion-like' faceting:
jaradiant.jpg

Another flavor of radiant:
Screen%20Shot%202012-04-10%20at%2010.21.37%20AM.png

Here's another (close to Sharon's)

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-10%20at%2010.21.27%20AM.png

And here is the 'traditional' crushed ice radiant:

r6143-radiant-diamond.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In budget and a nice stone:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8610056-3.06-carat-Radiant-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx 33k.

And at 9.53x7.45x5.14 that's a big stone for a radiant too. So that's really nice. I like it.

So here's my advice. Buy this one. Take see it in person. You have 30 days to evaluate. Take it with you to Dimend Scaasi. And compare it to the stones you see in person locally.

That way you know you have a good comparison stone with you. And if you find something better, you can return it for a full refund.

If you don't find anything that is better, then you keep it and get it set.

I would recommend Dimend Scaasi for settings too. And for Pricescopers ONLY they will set outside stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are the pave settings at Dimend Scaasi I would recommend. Go for platinum. And you can see what they look like in person while you are there.

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/designer-jewelry/zooey-14kt-white-gold-diamond-ring
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/designer-jewelry/avery-14kt-white-gold-diamond-ring
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/designer-jewelry/amelie-14kt-white-gold-diamond-ring
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/designer-jewelry/paige-18kt-white-gold-diamond-ring a vintage look, if that's what your lady wants.

They can make the these settings for your radiant. Or one similar to it.

What makes these a good choice is that they are very open baskets (part that holds the stone) so they will let in a lot of light for the stone.

:wavey: :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know what your finances look like, if you have the flexibility to buy two stones and see them head to head and take them around locally, then that would be ideal. You would do that lovely H radiant and this cushion ( first checking with the vendor that the fluoresence is not causing a negative effect): http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8001980-3.01-carat-Cushion-diamond-D-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8001980&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Remarketing&utm_campaign=Dynamic

That way you get to see two nice stones head to head in person, and take them around and compare them with local offerings.

Just a suggestion, if you have the flexibility. :wink2:

bridgettedonovan

Rough_Rock
rynob|1473816082|4076152 said:
Thanks everyone for their comments. In my opinion, correct me if I am worng but it appears that Radiant cut seems relatively mainstream.

Yes I am looking for a stone with a good size for the wight.

As for looking for a larger table %, in this cut at a lower table % it appears to be more of a cushion cut.This is the main reason I am considering the larger table, as it appears to improve the look of the diamond in my opinion not necessarily because it affects how large the diamond appears. I agree it is a limiting factor, and if I find I stone I like that does not have a larger table % I would consider it.

This cut was suggested by the person I am buying the diamond for.

What is everyone'es thoughts. In addition I was given quotes for some diamonds and they appeared that SI1 clarity was reasonable. I looked at the GIA reports and it did not appear that the clarity with these SI1 were that visible. One included some twinning wisps.

In my opinion and where I live(Canada) radiant cuts are anything but mainstream or popular. Lousy cut ones look like "frozen spit" which is the vast majority of the ones I have seen. The problem with a large table(depends on your definition of course) is that that this almost always indicates a shallow crown which in most diamonds means little fire and less intense sparkle.

There are some exceptions to this and genius part of the Radiant cut is to mitigate this by evening out the sparkle across the stone and from within but they just don't have the same quality of sparkle as more expensive and more sparkly and brighter alternatives which are more readily available in cushions.

Sure you get size at a cheaper price but if the edges don't light up than the stone looks smaller anyway. These large table diamonds can look great under the bright jewelry store lights but look flat and dull when you bring them outside or home in more normal lighting.

Despite the fact the Rockdiamond promotes and sells Radiants and from reading his posts seems to use sophistry and bullying on these forums If I was going to choose a Radiant I'd want to do it in person at a specialist like him instead of trying to buy online but you have got to know going in what the tradeoffs are if you go for size and this cut.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1473888555|4076586 said:
Start with this thread. And read it. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/[/URL] Since you are looking for either a radiant or a cushion. It is educational.

Performance and faceting are all that matter (along with a safe girdle and spread) for fancies. I'll explain that some more later on.
Since you've reminded us of this thread and it's also been brought up here- have you ever seen an Original Radiant Cut Gypsy?
Did you know that the OP can find a local dealer to get one brought in?
Either of these facts would be very important to someone who claims to be able to advise people about radiant cut diamonds.
Seems to make a lot more sense than to advise them to spend a couple of ten or twenty thousand dollars buying cushions that they can return later.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1473813266|4076132 said:
HI:

snip....
snip....
Gypsy said:
kb1gra|1473889769|4076594 said:

Well. I'm not a vendor.

I'm a prosumer. There are different rules for prosumers. Read the thread I posted for the OP. You will see the controversy about what RD is presenting as "reasonable." Even most of the vendors on here don't drink his kool aid. He certainly doesn't get to bully a prosumer on a board FOR prosumers into drinking it. Two completely different things, IMO.

When I was new on these boards the more senior prosumers advised me all the time. The same way I do now.

I don't consider telling someone not to post inaccurate information "telling them what they can say." I posted all kinds of things I was told when I first started to post on RT. And I was corrected by the senior members of the board and educated by them.

So now that I am one of the senior posters, that's what I do. <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rockytalky-prosumer-guidelines.145983/</span> These are the prosumer's guidelines and that's what I adhere to.

If I overstep, please tell me.

I 'grew up' on this board coached by Mara, Ellen and many other prosumers that no longer (sadly) post. And I was GENTLY educated by vendors like Wink, and Jon, and John Pollard. But NONE of those vendors ever TOLD A PROSUMER what to post. They understood boundaries. They educated and let us make up our own mind. This is something RD doesn't respect. I fully UNDERSTAND his point. I just disagree with it. Along with 90% of the vendors on here. Disagreeing with him, with my eyes wide open, doesn't make me INCOMPETENT to advise people. Which is what he would like. He would like me to just shut up because I don't agree with him BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH RADIANTS. And he doesn't get to do that. Heck, another Prosumer, like Diamondseeker wouldn't tell me to do that. Let alone a vendor.

With respect to radiants. 90% of the time when men come on here and ask for radiants they do so because they like them. Not because the wearer does. In fact most of the time, when they finally ask their SO's based on our advice, they find out that in fact a Radiant is NOT what the wearer wants.

There were 2 recent radiant threads that show that. Here's one of them: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-a-good-radiant-cut-diamond-please-helppppp.223679/</span> the second one went the same way. Guy wanted a radiant. We told him to talk to his lady. She wanted a round not a radiant.

If I had done as RD asked and NOT asked those questions those women, both of whom wanted rounds, would be getting rings that they wouldn't love.
cheers--Sharon

Sharon- I would suggest to you that it's been a slew of inaccurate information, gone unchecked, that has led to a lopsided discussion here on PS. I believe that a lot more PS'ers own Radiant Cut diamonds than you suspect- but given that the shape gets routinely trashed using misinformation, or purposefully withholding information, many people simply won't even mention it.

Gypsy, I am really not looking for a fight with anyone- but the part in bold- what do you suggest I do, as an active participant here? Based on over 40 years in the wholesale diamond business, and almost 20 years selling online to many thousands of consumers, I can say with no hesitation that many of the things written right here in this thread are not accurate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results