shape
carat
color
clarity

3.66ct Grey spinel advice please

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I’ve been quite taken with grey spinels for a while and would love your feedback on this 3.66 dark grey-teal spinel. It measures 9.7x8.6mm. This is my first spinel so I’m not sure what to specifically watch out for. I do know that I like the color.

I uploaded multiple videos to an IG account for easier access.
Thank you!

https://instagram.com/chimmy_jewels?igshid=mxfx7gtt27qd

9255CBA5-8F10-4268-9ADE-B2EF44511420.jpeg 5F18A356-0821-45AC-A8A9-58DC0C5245A9.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s lovely.
honestly I it’s these id make sure you like the cut and color and price.
I think it’ll be lovely. How will you set it

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I rather like it! I have a deep love of grey spinel.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
That’s lovely.
honestly I it’s these id make sure you like the cut and color and price.
I think it’ll be lovely. How will you set it
ETA: I do love the style of cut and love the proportions. I’m not sure what the going price for a spinel like this would be and if I’m over paying or getting a nice deal.

Since I have such a love for 3-stones, I was thinking setting it with a whole suite of spinels. These colorless ones to be exact. 26089A2A-A568-4B00-BA02-BFCC2444AE79.jpeg

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Since I have such a love for 3-stones, I was thinking setting it with a whole suite of spinels. These colorless ones to be exact. 26089A2A-A568-4B00-BA02-BFCC2444AE79.jpeg

That will be so beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product! Can I ask where you got the pair? I have a red spinel that would love friends like these!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
That will be so beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product! Can I ask where you got the pair? I have a red spinel that would love friends like these!

I haven’t bought them yet but planning on it if all goes well. They’re from Haydenfred_gems on IG.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: I do love the style of cut and love the proportions. I’m not sure what the going price for a spinel like this would be and if I’m over paying or getting a nice deal.

Since I have such a love for 3-stones, I was thinking setting it with a whole suite of spinels. These colorless ones to be exact.
This probably isn't too helpful but I was looking at grey spinels awhile back. Mr Spinel had native cuts for $90/ct (3ct or smaller). And a 8ct for $275/ct. So all over the place.

I can't recall the seller, cut was fantastic though.
6ct at $600 a carat.
8.3mm at $360/ct

Maybe that helps.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
This probably isn't too helpful but I was looking at grey spinels awhile back. Mr Spinel had native cuts for $90/ct (3ct or smaller). And a 8ct for $275/ct. So all over the place.

I can't recall the seller, cut was fantastic though.
6ct at $600 a carat.
8.3mm at $360/ct

Maybe that helps.

Thanks @CSpan! That helps

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t bought them yet but planning on it if all goes well. They’re from Haydenfred_gems on IG.

@Spring Day I have purchased from Haydenfred_gems in the past. Annie is wonderful to work with. I think a few things come into play. Color, cut. and how much the individual selling the gemstone feels it's worth.
I find Annie to be one of the most affordable that I have purchased from. I have a dark grey /teal 3 carat with a lot of dispersion that I think was 270. I have a lavender oval that is around 1.5 to 2 carats that was maybe 200. I'm guessing a little because it's been a while.
I have a spinel that is grey that was over 1,500. One that color changes to 3 different colors- super dispersion 1.5 that was 750 or 650. A salmon/red colored one that was 1.5 for 499. All 3 of these were purchased from what I consider to be some of the very best cut stones I have ever seen. That is only my opinion.
I feel Annie's are typically a great price for a good cut. I love the stones that I have from her, I love the price I paid. The other spinels I didn't purchase from her have cuts that I am willing to pay more money for.
I hope this helps...

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day I have purchased from Haydenfred_gems in the past. Annie is wonderful to work with. I think a few things come into play. Color, cut. and how much the individual selling the gemstone feels it's worth.
I find Annie to be one of the most affordable that I have purchased from. I have a dark grey /teal 3 carat with a lot of dispersion that I think was 270. I have a lavender oval that is around 1.5 to 2 carats that was maybe 200. I'm guessing a little because it's been a while.
I have a spinel that is grey that was over 1,500. One that color changes to 3 different colors- super dispersion 1.5 that was 750 or 650. A salmon/red colored one that was 1.5 for 499. All 3 of these were purchased from what I consider to be some of the very best cut stones I have ever seen. That is only my opinion.
I feel Annie's are typically a great price for a good cut. I love the stones that I have from her, I love the price I paid. The other spinels I didn't purchase from her have cuts that I am willing to pay more money for.
I hope this helps...

Thank you for that information. The stone in question is more than double what you paid for your dark grey/teal. I wonder why. Did you buy yours a long time ago? She is still cheaper than other vendors I have inquired with but it’s nothing compared to your $270 for a similar stone.

I would love a precision cut stone and don’t mind paying the price but since I’m only starting to dip my toes into the spinel world, I think I’ll start conservatively. I’ve had my share of garnets though, how do they compare dispersion wise?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for that information. The stone in question is more than double what you paid for your dark grey/teal. I wonder why. Did you buy yours a long time ago? She is still cheaper than other vendors I have inquired with but it’s nothing compared to your $270 for a similar stone.

I would love a precision cut stone and don’t mind paying the price but since I’m only starting to dip my toes into the spinel world, I think I’ll start conservatively. I’ve had my share of garnets though, how do they compare dispersion wise?

My spinel is in my estimation darker, with teal undertones. It has nice dispersion. The one you are looking at looks more substantial than mine. It also has a much better cut. I see a lot of colors in your, it's not just dark. I think the cut is better. Most people do not want as dark of a spinel as mine is. I suppose too that sometimes like anyone in sales they have times when they charge less when times are more difficult. Just a guess. I am guessing it was about March or April that I bought in 2019. It was my first gemstone.
I have some precision cut garnets. I think all 3 of them have nice dispersion, which really did surprise me. I started with Spinels do to the hardness and dispersion. I am not at all disappointed by my garnets. I just really do try to bezel all of my gemstones.
I really like the side stones you've chosen too. The stone I bought it still on Instagram. Let me look at it and yours and see what I think. Maybe I paid 370. It's been a while. Not more than 370 though.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
My spinel is in my estimation darker, with teal undertones. It has nice dispersion. The one you are looking at looks more substantial than mine. It also has a much better cut. I see a lot of colors in your, it's not just dark. I think the cut is better. Most people do not want as dark of a spinel as mine is. I suppose too that sometimes like anyone in sales they have times when they charge less when times are more difficult. Just a guess. I am guessing it was about March or April that I bought in 2019. It was my first gemstone.
I have some precision cut garnets. I think all 3 of them have nice dispersion, which really did surprise me. I started with Spinels do to the hardness and dispersion. I am not at all disappointed by my garnets. I just really do try to bezel all of my gemstones.
I really like the side stones you've chosen too. The stone I bought it still on Instagram. Let me look at it and yours and see what I think. Maybe I paid 370. It's been a while. Not more than 370 though.

Here you go! BAC45416-4217-44F5-B00A-8B6ED1157C31.jpeg CE69DEB5-60EB-45CA-9C65-D680377E5463.jpeg 4381104D-3BBC-4C2B-99A1-8B27784F22B8.jpeg

Thanks for doing that! That was very nice of you. I see now that it specifically says “good price” so you must have gotten a very good deal! The price she gave me for the stone doesn’t seem that bad. Plus, I really like it! I do love your proportions so much better though. Love elongated cushions.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for doing that! That was very nice of you. I see now that it specifically says “good price” so you must have gotten a very good deal! The price she gave me for the stone doesn’t seem that bad. Plus, I really like it! I do love your proportions so much better though. Love elongated cushions.

You're welcome! I just looked, it was 270. Yet the light lavender oval that was 2.05 carats was 300. So see what I mean, it's hard to say why the prices are what they are sometimes. I really do think why mine is lower is because most people don't want that dark of a stone. Yours doesn't look as dark as mine. I liked that mine had the teal. It wasn't until I received it that I could see the wonderful dispersion I love so much. It is just mho, but I gravitate more to the shape of yours, too funny. With the side stones you are considering, I think your grey spinel is a perfect fit! I hope you are able to get what you love and I will be excited to hear what you decide :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like a paler gray with little to no color cast. The dark gray with a strong color cast can look like a less expensive colored spinel instead of a really nice gray spinel, imo.

I love the side stones you piked out but I'm not sure i see them together in the same ring.

Caveat: I have a limited imagination. :cool2:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome! I just looked, it was 270. Yet the light lavender oval that was 2.05 carats was 300. So see what I mean, it's hard to say why the prices are what they are sometimes. I really do think why mine is lower is because most people don't want that dark of a stone. Yours doesn't look as dark as mine. I liked that mine had the teal. It wasn't until I received it that I could see the wonderful dispersion I love so much. It is just mho, but I gravitate more to the shape of yours, too funny. With the side stones you are considering, I think your grey spinel is a perfect fit! I hope you are able to get what you love and I will be excited to hear what you decide :)

Thank you for your help! It’s reassuring to know someone that has bought from this seller. She does seem very nice and has been very accommodating of my requests. By chance, do you have pictures of your stone that you’ve taken yourself? Have you set it or is it loose? I bet it’s beautiful!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I like a paler gray with little to no color cast. The dark gray with a strong color cast can look like a less expensive colored spinel instead of a really nice gray spinel, imo.

I love the side stones you piked out but I'm not sure i see them together in the same ring.

Caveat: I have a limited imagination. :cool2:

Thanks for your input. I will take it into consideration. Since this is my first grey spinel, I’m gonna try looking at the first ones that caught my eye first. Who knows, maybe I’ll get it and not like the secondary color and want a pure grey but as for now, the teal calls to me.

As for the side stones, is it the proportions, the color, or the cut that’s not working for you?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the side stones, is it the proportions, the color, or the cut that’s not working for you?

I love the side stones -- the tone, cut, and face-up proportions. My objection (and it's weak one) is that as rectangular cushions, they perfectly echo the center stone. I like that "theme" approach for geometric cuts like emerald-cut (very Deco) and perhaps for rounds but for some reason -- and this is just in my mind -- I do not see it for cushion. If you can find lovely counterexamples, then I am off base.

Oh and: you say that you are going for gray plus colorless but I think you are getting green plus pink. Will depend upon the lighting, of course.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selfishly hope you do bring the grey/teal and the pair together.
will love to see your pics and thoughts :love:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your help! It’s reassuring to know someone that has bought from this seller. She does seem very nice and has been very accommodating of my requests. By chance, do you have pictures of your stone that you’ve taken yourself? Have you set it or is it loose? I bet it’s beautiful!

I haven’t set it. I almost sold it because of the other grey one I bought later. I had planned on setting her in white gold, bezel set and doing cuffs on the band darkened gold with diamonds. I’m not sure of the particulars beyond that since I set the other spinel first. I will show you a picture of it, though you can ask anyone here my pictures are atrocious! I will show you the grey spinel I did set so you can see how that one looks too in case that helps. 4FE0F773-5F08-458D-B16D-7477CE3664EC.jpeg 89EC2E63-26F1-425A-80B6-DC5E28FCCB6D.jpeg FE873EE7-33B2-4C1C-ABD5-984B49B784DB.jpeg 79D1F29A-7B7E-44D3-AD3B-B0210CA2C8C9.jpeg 83EEEB02-9ED3-4F42-AD9E-A55FEDC4239A.jpeg 0C88E353-A585-4AA3-9F6F-22EE87D34E78.jpeg 7AA48A56-02A8-4E7D-9C30-AC8793AF6563.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t set it. I almost sold it because of the other grey one I bought later. I had planned on setting her in white gold, bezel set and doing cuffs on the band darkened gold with diamonds. I’m not sure of the particulars beyond that since I set the other spinel first. I will show you a picture of it, though you can ask anyone here my pictures are atrocious! I will show you the grey spinel I did set so you can see how that one looks too in case that helps. 4FE0F773-5F08-458D-B16D-7477CE3664EC.jpeg 89EC2E63-26F1-425A-80B6-DC5E28FCCB6D.jpeg FE873EE7-33B2-4C1C-ABD5-984B49B784DB.jpeg 79D1F29A-7B7E-44D3-AD3B-B0210CA2C8C9.jpeg 83EEEB02-9ED3-4F42-AD9E-A55FEDC4239A.jpeg 0C88E353-A585-4AA3-9F6F-22EE87D34E78.jpeg 7AA48A56-02A8-4E7D-9C30-AC8793AF6563.jpeg

95538965-BCC6-4C81-B0EE-45AFEA0626E9.gif

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I love the side stones -- the tone, cut, and face-up proportions. My objection (and it's weak one) is that as rectangular cushions, they perfectly echo the center stone. I like that "theme" approach for geometric cuts like emerald-cut (very Deco) and perhaps for rounds but for some reason -- and this is just in my mind -- I do not see it for cushion. If you can find lovely counterexamples, then I am off base.

Oh and: you say that you are going for gray plus colorless but I think you are getting green plus pink. Will depend upon the lighting, of course.

Yea, I was thinking about the teal with the pink not just the grey with the colorless. I didn’t think it would look bad. But, I was also up last night trying to find examples of 3 stone cushions all set NS but wasn’t coming up with any examples that I liked so you may be onto something.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Selfishly hope you do bring the grey/teal and the pair together.
will love to see your pics and thoughts :love:

Well.... you may have to wait a while! Haha! I actually decided to go with my initial plan of setting the spinel in an OEC/OMC cluster. As it turns out, in between my inquiry and deciding to get the pair, somebody put it on hold until Monday. So I guess it’s fate. I was being impatient and wanting to finish a project because if I do the cluster, I’ll have to wait until I have more funds.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my!! Thank you for showing me these photos! I love your spinel! Is this the precision cut one thats $1500 that you were talking about? It’s gorgeous! And your pictures are no atrocious! Do you have a SMTB for this ring? So pretty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with another person in that those o don’t think match exactly. Good for earrings but idk if side stones

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Well.... you may have to wait a while! Haha! I actually decided to go with my initial plan of setting the spinel in an OEC/OMC cluster. As it turns out, in between my inquiry and deciding to get the pair, somebody put it on hold until Monday. So I guess it’s fate. I was being impatient and wanting to finish a project because if I do the cluster, I’ll have to wait until I have more funds.

I love the cluster idea! OEC/OMC especially! It will be worth the wait!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my!! Thank you for showing me these photos! I love your spinel! Is this the precision cut one thats $1500 that you were talking about? It’s gorgeous! And your pictures are no atrocious! Do you have a SMTB for this ring? So pretty!

You’re welcome. I love looking at everyone’s pictures! It was over 1,500 and it was worth it to me. It is precision cut. Thank you. If you look at the spinel that isn’t set, those pictures are terrible. For me it is easier to take a picture of a ring much easier than a gemstone. I think I have only done a SMTB for my wedding set. Maybe someday I will get that done. I need to! I promised someone I would... I want to give credit to David Klass for the setting. He is an absolute joy to work with and I wouldn’t go to anyone else! @Rfisher has a gorgeous grey spinel with it’s own thread- a must see trust me!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
You’re welcome. I love looking at everyone’s pictures! It was over 1,500 and it was worth it to me. It is precision cut. Thank you. If you look at the spinel that isn’t set, those pictures are terrible. For me it is easier to take a picture of a ring much easier than a gemstone. I think I have only done a SMTB for my wedding set. Maybe someday I will get that done. I need to! I promised someone I would... I want to give credit to David Klass for the setting. He is an absolute joy to work with and I wouldn’t go to anyone else! @Rfisher has a gorgeous grey spinel with it’s own thread- a must see trust me!

Well, I second the vote for an SMTB then! And, I’m sure I’m gonna have DK do the setting once it gets down to it.

Omg! You’re right! @Rfisher does have a gorgeous grey spinel!!! Here she is being all nonchalant in my grey spinel thread when she has a beauty of her own!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@peppermintpatty is way too kind.
we do need to see more of her (flawless?) impeccable beauty!
my grey - while I love it - would bug others with its girdle chips and large crown scratch.
@Spring Day - it sounds like you are doing your due diligence in looking around with what’s available with various vendors. Usually there’s justifiable reasons why the pricing is what it is, higher - medium - lower, just like everything else! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results