shape
carat
color
clarity

3.66ct Grey spinel advice please

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty is way too kind.
we do need to see more of her (flawless?) impeccable beauty!
my grey - while I love it - would bug others with its girdle chips and large crown scratch.
@Spring Day - it sounds like you are doing your due diligence in looking around with what’s available with various vendors. Usually there’s justifiable reasons why the pricing is what it is, higher - medium - lower, just like everything else! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

I didn’t realize it had girdle chips and a large scratch. Wasn’t it newly precision cut by Gary? Or is this a different grey that you are talking about?

As for due diligence, I’m a bit of a crazy nut that way. Once I’m interested in something I have to research the heck out of it and know all the ins and outs before making a purchase. I’m the same way when I go on vacation too. Research, research, research. Then an itinerary is made up with every single time slot filled from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. It’s not for everyone, but it works for me! :loopy:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t realize it had girdle chips and a large scratch. Wasn’t it newly precision cut by Gary? Or is this a different grey that you are talking about?

honestly I don’t know how long it was available on his site - whether it languished or was bought/ returned before.
the chips and scratch were plainly visible in his listing photos, I’m assuming this being the reason it was priced lower than his usual fare.
the faceting is gorgeous! I do assume it was done by him.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
honestly I don’t know how long it was available on his site - whether it languished or was bought/ returned before.
the chips and scratch were plainly visible in his listing photos, I’m assuming this being the reason it was priced lower than his usual fare.
the faceting is gorgeous! I do assume it was done by him.

Well, I couldn’t tell! All I see is an exquisite ring and beautiful stone!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about Annie. Where is she located? Or where do the stones ship from? I haven’t bought anything from overseas before and not sure how it works. Did you pay duty and sales tax?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty is way too kind.
we do need to see more of her (flawless?) impeccable beauty!
my grey - while I love it - would bug others with its girdle chips and large crown scratch.
@Spring Day - it sounds like you are doing your due diligence in looking around with what’s available with various vendors. Usually there’s justifiable reasons why the pricing is what it is, higher - medium - lower, just like everything else! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
@Rfisher your grey spinel and setting are so unique and special. I can't tell you how much I love it!!! I think perfection is overrated! I have a sapphire that has inclusions and in my eyes they are beautiful. I purchased an OEC- finally!!! It has chips. Life happens to us and to our treasured gems. We are all flawed after all. Our gemstones should be allowed to be flawed too. Love them for what they are, I would never feel anything but fortunate to have a gemstone or ring like yours @Rfisher

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about Annie. Where is she located? Or where do the stones ship from? I haven’t bought anything from overseas before and not sure how it works. Did you pay duty and sales tax?

I don't remember where she is from, I have no doubt Annie will tell you. I did not pay duty or sales tax. It was a really smooth transaction. No problems what so ever!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Never mind @peppermintpatty! I got it all squared away with Annie! Thanks!

That's wonderful @Spring Day , Annie is an absolute pleasure to work with. If you decide to work with David Klass you will find the same thing. Wishing you all the best with you beautiful new project! I will be excited to see your gorgeous new ring!!!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@Rfisher your grey spinel and setting are so unique and special. I can't tell you how much I love it!!! I think perfection is overrated! I have a sapphire that has inclusions and in my eyes they are beautiful. I purchased an OEC- finally!!! It has chips. Life happens to us and to our treasured gems. We are all flawed after all. Our gemstones should be allowed to be flawed too. Love them for what they are, I would never feel anything but fortunate to have a gemstone or ring like yours @Rfisher

Well said @peppermintpatty! I couldn’t have said it better myself!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
That's wonderful @Spring Day , Annie is an absolute pleasure to work with. If you decide to work with David Klass you will find the same thing. Wishing you all the best with you beautiful new project! I will be excited to see your gorgeous new ring!!!

Thank you! I paid Annie yesterday and she’s shipping it this week. I didn’t pay the extra for express so I’m thinking 2 weeks? Might as well overestimate shipping time and have a happy surprise if it’s early. Plus, mail is so slow cuz of covid.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I paid Annie yesterday and she’s shipping it this week. I didn’t pay the extra for express so I’m thinking 2 weeks? Might as well overestimate shipping time and have a happy surprise if it’s early. Plus, mail is so slow cuz of covid.

Yay!!! I’m so happy you got it!! I think it’s beautiful shipping is so slow right now but I agree if it comes early what a lovely surprise! Please let us know when it arrives and take lots of pictures!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel is here. It’s very pretty but it has a bigger window than I would like. If it was just a slight tilt window, I might have been ok with it but it’s noticeable from every angle.
This is the best it looks.
Seems like the perfectionist in me has to have precision cut. Thought maybe I could let it slide a little with colored stones as long as I loved the color.
8B9B5C4C-D4E5-4650-A2E2-42DC07FEA290.jpeg F303BCB9-27D3-4C86-B5E5-76DA328C9A7C.jpeg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
It was very quick! Annie seriously has the best customer service. I just wish I liked the stone.
I wish you liked it. It's so hard to wait and then to feel let down. I noticed she has posted some other grey spinels lately. Perhaps you would like one of those? Annie is the best! Good luck, I hope you find the one that you love!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I know this isn’t a good way to tell you but I am in too much of a rush, so please forgive me! On Annie’s Instagram there is a 2.93 and a 2.14. If you can, have a look at those 2 and see what you think. Both stones are after yours on Instagram. Again, sorry for the rush!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20201210-104123_Instagram.jpg

Is this too light? I liked the cut but it isn't quite as mysterious as the others that have been posted.

Sorry, I know this isn’t a good way to tell you but I am in too much of a rush, so please forgive me! On Annie’s Instagram there is a 2.93 and a 2.14. If you can, have a look at those 2 and see what you think. Both stones are after yours on Instagram. Again, sorry for the rush!

Awww, thank you so much for thinking about me, you guys! I’m putting my stone buying on hold for now. Focus on some other life stuff. But, maybe if I see something that I absolutely must have....:lickout:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this too light? I liked the cut but it isn't quite as mysterious as the others that have been posted.

I love this stone. Perfect tone for me -- especially bezel-set in a nice matte-finish platinum ring.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea that returning something to Thailand would cost so much money! It was over $100 to send back an item that weighed .2lbs.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to ask if anyone else has had heard this particular weird dealings with DHL. I went to go send my package and the lady at DHL wouldn’t let me tape the inside packaging that held the spinel. She said that at every location, DHL will be opening my package anyway and going through every single item I have so there’s no need for me to secure it. And she kept referring to a “she”, so I asked who is this “she” you keep mentioning and she said DHL customs. This seemed very fishy to me so I walked out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results