shape
carat
color
clarity

3/4 or Full eternity band?

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Because of this recent obsession I’ve gotten myself into, as I’m designing and having my gf’s ER made I’ve begun to consider wedding bands. Below is a style that I know she’d like and I think looks great, it’s a French pavé.

When asking my sales associate about this, she suggested a 3/4 so that it can always be resized if need be. Having the ability to be resized is nice, but I think a full looks better and you also don’t need to worry about spinning.

Her fingers are fairly skinny and a little on the longer side, she’s a 4.25 size if that helps. Do you guys suggest prioritizing the ability to resize or the guarantee of not spinning? Any input helps! Thank you

IMG_3186.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 7

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much prefer the full eternity but I am a person whose ring size has not changed in almost 50 years! I know there are folks that have trouble with swelling in the summer or their finger size changes with weight fluctuations. Not sure if your girlfriend has any of these attributes but she is young so hopefully not!

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hi @SoaRFaabz I recently went through this process for my better half, and selected a 7 stone e-ring and matching wedding ring (and RHR) for a couple of reasons:

1 - Ability to re-size is important, as ring size is changing over time.
2 - Stones/setting rubbing the sensitive areas between the fingers at the base found to be irritating.
3 - Likes the look of fewer but larger stones.
4 - Stones that would be on the palm side of the hand would be exposed to too much wear and tear - introducing risk of damage/lost stone. Better for us to have bare metal there.
5 - The natural ridge of the setting (seen below) inhibits spinning. Although, had to get the w-ring and e-ring soldered together to maintain alignment of the matching
stones on each.

1712269624509.png

Variables to consider as you work through your decision making. Good luck, and report back with any final decisions.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
@peppermintpatty recently sold a band made by David Klass that looks like a full eternity but has a sizing bar on the inside. She may have more details, but that potentially seems like a good option if your jeweler can do it!

If she has knuckly fingers, it's unlikely that seasonal swelling will make much of a size difference since the limiting thing is the size of the bones which doesn't change with the temperature. At least that's the case for me! I just got a 3/4 band yesterday and it has not spun enough to be annoying but it's only been a day so who knows. You probably can't really go wrong with either option, though, which is why you (and so many other people!) have this debate in the first place.

Here are a few photos of the new-to-me 3/4 band. I will say that I definitely notice it between my fingers and it would take me time to get used to something thicker than this, so you may want to have her try on a CZ band before committing to a real one to make sure she's comfortable wearing it.

1712269815245.png

1712269862087.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought is the fact that if you choose a five or seven stone band, you would be able to get larger stones than you would with a full eternity. I have a channel set eternity band for a wedding band, but got a five stone ring for a right hand ring. My dominant hand is my right which grabs doors, shopping carts, etc. so a full eternity on that hand would not be very practical. Too much chance of damaging stones on palm side and comfort is another real issue. Does she have a preference or has she tried a full eternity band on her hand?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried a 3/4 eternity, and it always spun. I was constantly adjusting it.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty recently sold a band made by David Klass that looks like a full eternity but has a sizing bar on the inside. She may have more details, but that potentially seems like a good option if your jeweler can do it!

If she has knuckly fingers, it's unlikely that seasonal swelling will make much of a size difference since the limiting thing is the size of the bones which doesn't change with the temperature. At least that's the case for me! I just got a 3/4 band yesterday and it has not spun enough to be annoying but it's only been a day so who knows. You probably can't really go wrong with either option, though, which is why you (and so many other people!) have this debate in the first place.

Here are a few photos of the new-to-me 3/4 band. I will say that I definitely notice it between my fingers and it would take me time to get used to something thicker than this, so you may want to have her try on a CZ band before committing to a real one to make sure she's comfortable wearing it.

1712269815245.png

1712269862087.png
Thanks @newtojewels for sharing about my french cut diamond eternity band from David Klass that I recently sold.

I had told David I really wanted a sizing bar, but I really didn't like that look. Much to my surprise, when I received my band it was a full eternity. I emailed David asking him if he had forgotten I wanted a sizing bar. He let me know I did have a sizing bar. He had covered it up with french cut diamonds.

I think it's genius! I don't know of any jeweler who has done this. That's not to say no one has, I just don't know of anyone who has.

I know David did mine so well I could not locate the sizing bar! I loved that he did that!!!

I obviously know David can do this. I am not sure that every jeweler could. I would want to know that whoever did it, could do it well.

Good luck with your search for the wedding band you want!

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Very interesting! I appreciate all of your guys’ help. Honestly I don’t think her fingers change too much in the heat versus the cold, and it turns out the pricing for a band like that isn’t that bad so worst case in a minimum of 5+ years if I had to get a new one that’s not the end of the world.

@MissGotRocks @Kim N based on both of your comments I think it’s pushed me enough to just get the one that I think looks better and not have to worry about spinning.

I’m curious if you would suggest buying that band that I posted above from that specific company (by Bonnie) or should I ask JannPaul to just make one since they’re already making the ring. Their pricing is actually cheaper and I can get the 90-10 platinum I like, but Bonnie probably uses 95-5 ruthenium which is fine and it’s not too expensive. I like the idea of JP being able to easily make the band and check if it would be able to sit flush without having to go back and forth with a new company, but obviously Bonnie sells this product a lot and I can easily see what it’ll look like vs asking JP to make one like it

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worn a 3/4 diamond band for many years and i kept adjusting it, It was irritating me so much that i felt i could not really enjoy it. Eventually, DH decided to gift me a full eternity band and i LOVE it. My problems were solved and the ring always looks beautiful on my finger, either when worn with my ER or alone.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A vote for full eternity. Get the sizing right out of the gate. Picture attached of my wife’s band. Good luck. 400861

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting! I appreciate all of your guys’ help. Honestly I don’t think her fingers change too much in the heat versus the cold, and it turns out the pricing for a band like that isn’t that bad so worst case in a minimum of 5+ years if I had to get a new one that’s not the end of the world.

@MissGotRocks @Kim N based on both of your comments I think it’s pushed me enough to just get the one that I think looks better and not have to worry about spinning.

I’m curious if you would suggest buying that band that I posted above from that specific company (by Bonnie) or should I ask JannPaul to just make one since they’re already making the ring. Their pricing is actually cheaper and I can get the 90-10 platinum I like, but Bonnie probably uses 95-5 ruthenium which is fine and it’s not too expensive. I like the idea of JP being able to easily make the band and check if it would be able to sit flush without having to go back and forth with a new company, but obviously Bonnie sells this product a lot and I can easily see what it’ll look like vs asking JP to make one like it

As long as the cost is not prohibitive, I would probably get JannPaul to do it. Ask him what quality of diamond he uses in his wedding bands but I am sure it would be beautiful and sparkly!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few eternity bands because I don't like having to adjust, but I sized up so (maybe) I won't have to worry about my knuckle changing size as I age and outgrowing the band. I wear a 5.25-5.5 and purchased size 6 eternities. My ering serves as a stopper for the stack, but you could also have small sizing beads in to make it feel smaller.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a full eternity ring & have worn it every single day for 13 years. No issues with sizing or anything. I love that it sparkles from whichever angle you look.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I have a full eternity wedding band and my old e-ring had pave all the way around. Later on in life, I've also acquired a 5 stone band that I wear on my right hand. All great comments shared above but just echoing some similar statements in case it is helpful:

After 15 plus years of wearing both types of rings, I haven't had any knuckle swelling or resizing problems. I do naturally "baby" my hand movements when I'm wearing the eternity band. I've also once grabbed onto a subway station for balance so hard that it bent it slightly (no diamonds lost and jewelry fixed it within 1 hour). No big deal and I don't regret the eternity look. On the other hand, the 5 stone I can wear without fear, and since I'm right hand dominant so it does clunk into stuff more. Happy with both but there are different living factors if that helps with the analysis!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results