shape
carat
color
clarity

3.01 Carat- 2.8 HCA Score. Help Please!!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just purchased a 3.01 carat, I color diamond...and am picking up at Blue Nile store in Portland next week. But now I went and got the HCA score and shows 2.8, very good. Should I not buy it, given it's a score above 2? Also, is it bad to get an I color for a diamond above two carats?

DIAMOND GRADING REPORT
FOR NATURAL DIAMOND

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements 9.28 - 9.32 x 5.68 mm
Carat Weight3.01 carat
Color GradeI
Clarity GradeVS1
Cut GradeExcellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth61.1%
Table59%
Crown Angle33.5°
Crown Height13.5%
Pavilion Angle41.2°
Pavilion Depth43.5%
Star Length50%
Lower Half80%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
CuletNone

IMAGES.GIA.EDU
FINISH
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
FLUORESCENCE
FluorescenceMedium Blue
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity CharacteristicsCrystal, Feather
Key To Symbols
Crystal.jpg
Crystal
Feather.jpg
Feather

IMAGES.GIA.EDU
INSCRIPTION(S)
GIA 5211169279

IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS
GIA LGDR results will only be provided via Report Check. All Report Check information is subject to these limitations.
VERIFY ANOTHER REPORT

LEARN MORE ABOUT DIAMOND
why we love diamond

Explore diamond history, research, quality factors, and more in the GIA Gem Encyclopedia.

READ MORE

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Thank you in advance!!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Can you return/exchange? It will be a more flat top profile, very spread-y to give you a big look but you will already have that in the size. You will see a lot of warmth in an I color in that size... I do suspect the medium fluorescence will tone it down a bit but it is still I color in a very large size. If it were me I would pass on this.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I color is personal preference.
Those numbers can go either way with that combo for a 60/60 type diamond. GIA grossly rounds the numbers.
Since your picking it up in person and they have a good return policy its worth looking at.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 60/60 that I love! You may like it or hate it.
I color is personal preference. I don’t mind I color at all and I had one before.
If you don’t love the stone right away- return it. Make sure you check it out in all types of lighting. GL!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the video ?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I color is personal preference. I don’t mind I color at all and I had one before.
If you don’t love the stone right away- return it. Make sure you check it out in all types of lighting. GL!

What is 60/60 mean? Apologies in advance!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

Hard to tell- I have never tried on diamonds before! In the store it sparkled a ton! It was a foggy day in Portland so under shade it didn’t sparkle much— and I could maybe see some
Yellow in center or maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me given the 2.8. Score! In sunlight it sparkles and had tiny dot reflections on ceiling of the car— wasn’t a sunny day but def didn’t sparkle lile
In the store.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

Please see below responses- tough to know what I like since I’m not comparing it side by side

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds will always sparkle amazingly under the jewelers lighting. It is a good idea to see how it looks in other lighting. Keep in mind that a diamond is not going to look like it does under the store lighting all the time, even if it is a super ideal. It’s what it looks like (if pleasing to you) in those environments. This may be possible on its own, but in comparison to others is even better (keeping in mind that if you are shown only not so fine stones it will be hard to compare finer to average quality).

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
What is 60/60 mean? Apologies in advance!

There are several threads explaining a 60/60 and folks here can do a much better job than myself. But basically it means you have a 60% table and a 60% depth. Give or take since GIA rounds numbers. They are not super ideal cut stones.
There are more threads but here’s one I found quickly by searching: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-60-diamond-advice-on-diamond.252171/#post-4630375.
My only recommendation to you is see other stones if possible. Also, did the yellow in the center bother you?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
There are several threads explaining a 60/60 and folks here can do a much better job than myself. But basically it means you have a 60% table and a 60% depth. Give or take since GIA rounds numbers. They are not super ideal cut stones.
There are more threads but here’s one I found quickly by searching: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-60-diamond-advice-on-diamond.252171/#post-4630375.
My only recommendation to you is see other stones if possible. Also, did the yellow in the center bother you?

I can’t tell—- I feel like now I’m seeing warmth... I wish I could compare it to multiple brighter color diamonds to see if I’m really seeing warmth. Would an H 3 carat look white— or would you have to go to D-G

headlight

Ideal_Rock
At that size, if you do not want warmth, you need to go lower than H for sure - and lower depending on your tolerance in conjunction with other factors such as level of fluorescence.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you need lower your color. Some folks are color sensitive. H does not bother me at all, but that’s me.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any jewelers in sourthern California that I could bring this diamond to for their opinion in person? Or does anyone live in Orange County area by chance?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I color is personal preference.
Those numbers can go either way with that combo for a 60/60 type diamond. GIA grossly rounds the numbers.
Since your picking it up in person and they have a good return policy its worth looking at.

What do you mean the numbers can go either way— the HCA number? I am getting a bit more used to the color— but can’t I be colorless— or never w a 3 carat?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you mean the numbers can go either way— the HCA number? I am getting a bit more used to the color— but can’t I be colorless— or never w a 3 carat?

That combination of angles and %.
With in the gia rounding is a potentual for a ags 0/1 border or even an ags 2 cut score.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
That combination of angles and %.
With in the gia rounding is a potentual for a ags 0/1 border or even an ags 2 cut score.

I’m so sorry, I don’t understand any of this... I am realizing how little I know!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An I will not get you near colorless. If you see color in your I, then you do. If you want to see less color, move up to a G. You need to see more diamonds of various colors to figure out how much color you want or don't want. Clearly I is too yellow for you.

Your diamond is more of a 60/60 type diamond, meaning both depth and table are close to 60, which means it returns more white light than sparkles of fire. People have preferences. I prefer more fire and others maybe more white light return. Again, you need to see more diamonds to figure out what you prefer. Or maybe your already know.

Jewelry stores spend tons of money to have professional lighting to make all diamonds sparkly. To know whether to you have a diamond that sparkles in all lighting, you need to take your diamond to darker rooms, with darker walls, and examine how sparkly and white it is, or isn't. Just be prepared to return your diamond and while you are a store, try to look at more colors.

If you are going to try to choose another stone online, you will need to tell people what your criteria is so they can help you search.

color range?
budget?
do you want super sparkly everywhere or is sparkly only in good lighting and light conditions good enough?
do you want a good upgrade policy?
clarity?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to do some searches on your own, use the blue nile search function. Follow these instructions.

Enter these criteria into the search function.

Cut: Ideal - Astor

click on "more filters"

Select Excellent for Polish and Symmetry

Depth: 60-62.3
table: 54-58
crown angle: 34-35
pavilion angle: 60-62.3

Then when you get results, open up the GIA report. Plug the numbers from the GIA report into the HCA calculator.

Go to the top of this page, click on Tools, and choose "HCA". Then enter the GIA report number. If the result is 2 or less, the diamond is worth considering. Do that until you have 3 or so options and post those on this thread and people will comment.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
OK, I think I am starting to like this more but now I am worried about the Florescence. Here are two shots, one inside, one outside on sunny day. Is this blue normal for a medium blue? 09876A0E-E02F-426B-8BD2-880E8D20C72A.jpeg

I have until tomorrow to return but not sure I will find better in price range or I should not do medium
Blue since I live in SoCal?

This is exhausting!!

Also, is Blue Nile NOT a recommended store to buy from— or would you suggest an online retailer vs individual jeweler...a jeweler told me this diamond was brown, oily and prongs were cheap. They said it was the “McDonald’s” of a 3 ct, VS1...

But idk if they just want me to buy from
Them...

Attachments

• F133A269-5099-41EC-AA13-A30D087B63F0.jpeg
    F133A269-5099-41EC-AA13-A30D087B63F0.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 39

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Before your return policy runs out, you might want to look at other stones. You’re in So Cal? If you are close to Los Angeles, take your stone to Victor Canera and compare it in person to other diamonds. VCs diamonds will be super ideal cut, so there will be a ton of fire. If you compare your 60/60 to a super ideal stone, you can see which type of diamond you like best. I did this - I compared a stone that I bought online to Victor’s stones in person and it really helped me. Buying a large stone is a big deal, so make sure that your diamond makes you happy. If you don’t love it, consider returning it.
Also, if you post an approx budget, the experts on here will help you look around to see if there are alternative. In the end, don‘t settle and buy whatever you love.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
First I want to say that even if that diamond was all the negative things that the jeweler you took it to said, that is so unprofessional. Of course they want to sell you, but I certainly wouldn't buy from them if that is how they talk about other seller's jewelry. That is not the way to get customers and new business. The better way would be to try to phrase its shortfalls in the best light possible but to OFFER some other suggestions that "might be a better fit". That's how I would go about it and that's what I would want to hear. Who would be motivated to make a purchase with someone else when you have already been insulted and humiliated. Not the state one should be in when they are making such a purchase. I have been down this route you are in. I've been in the situation where one jeweler slammed a ring from another jeweler, then prayed (sp?) on my weaknesses, lack of knowledge, and insecurities to get me to make yet again another horrible purchase. If it has an HCA of 2.8 and you are questioning it this much then keep looking. Do not get it because you think it is the best value for your budget... you have 2 options if you want a nice diamond (doesn't have to be the most super ideal diamond, just something that the majority of people would say is an attractive stone): 1. Increase your budget, or 2. Lower your carat size. I know what I speak of: On a previous purchase many years ago, I was all about big, big, big. But didn't want to spend more than whatever the amount was at the time. So guess what I got: A large and not particularly attractive lower color diamond. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. Learn from the mistakes of those that have gone before you. I had to live with that diamond for many years until I could "fix" my mistake. Take my advice. With that said, it definitely looks waaaay nicer than the diamond I just referred to. But in the end it is the same thing... and same thing said on this forum all the time, regardless of the specifics to any stone: If you are questioning it then move on if you have the opportunity to do so. Or if you will not be happy with anything smaller than 3ct be happy to have such a rock on your hand and enjoy your life. This is a much nicer stone than the story I told you about. The color is something you have to determine. I had an I color for many years and it was too warm for me. I traded way down in size to have an E and I am thrilled every day that I did. I am also fortunate to have inherited a larger stone (not as large as yours but a spready 2.31 ct) that Brian Gavin recut to a branded super ideal hearts and arrows so the performance and optics are amazing yet it is an H and the color turns me off. But I also have another stone, also over 2ct, in G color that Brian recut that has medium blue fluorescence and it is a knock out... totally looks as white as my GIA E color. So I don't think the med fl is your issue. But SOMETHING is your issue or you wouldn't be coming back for more input. Think about it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Before your return policy runs out, you might want to look at other stones. You’re in So Cal? If you are close to Los Angeles, take your stone to Victor Canera and compare it in person to other diamonds. VCs diamonds will be super ideal cut, so there will be a ton of fire. If you compare your 60/60 to a super ideal stone, you can see which type of diamond you like best. I did this - I compared a stone that I bought online to Victor’s stones in person and it really helped me. Buying a large stone is a big deal, so make sure that your diamond makes you happy. If you don’t love it, consider returning it.
Also, if you post an approx budget, the experts on here will help you look around to see if there are alternative. In the end, don‘t settle and buy whatever you love.

I don't think OP's budget will get her nearly same size at VC so maybe it best she not look there for fear of major disappointment. There definitely is a mid-ground between super ideal and something with a 2.8 HCA or whatever it was. But, hey, I'm all about going to VC ;-)

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

Ahh I just went to a jeweler up in LA on Olive but not VC. It VC highly trusted? It’s about an hour away so idk if I can make it today before they close— ugh. This was just under $31,500— did a wire to save 1.5% and flew to Portland for no sales tax! Yes please help!! Is this the best I will get for that price?? My hubby to be likely doesn’t want to go much higher...

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
First I want to say that even if that diamond was all the negative things that the jeweler you took it to said, that is so unprofessional. Of course they want to sell you, but I certainly wouldn't buy from them if that is how they talk about other seller's jewelry. That is not the way to get customers and new business. The better way would be to try to phrase its shortfalls in the best light possible but to OFFER some other suggestions that "might be a better fit". That's how I would go about it and that's what I would want to hear. Who would be motivated to make a purchase with someone else when you have already been insulted and humiliated. Not the state one should be in when they are making such a purchase. I have been down this route you are in. I've been in the situation where one jeweler slammed a ring from another jeweler, then prayed (sp?) on my weaknesses, lack of knowledge, and insecurities to get me to make yet again another horrible purchase. If it has an HCA of 2.8 and you are questioning it this much then keep looking. Do not get it because you think it is the best value for your budget... you have 2 options if you want a nice diamond (doesn't have to be the most super ideal diamond, just something that the majority of people would say is an attractive stone): 1. Increase your budget, or 2. Lower your carat size. I know what I speak of: On a previous purchase many years ago, I was all about big, big, big. But didn't want to spend more than whatever the amount was at the time. So guess what I got: A large and not particularly attractive lower color diamond. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. Learn from the mistakes of those that have gone before you. I had to live with that diamond for many years until I could "fix" my mistake. Take my advice. With that said, it definitely looks waaaay nicer than the diamond I just referred to. But in the end it is the same thing... and same thing said on this forum all the time, regardless of the specifics to any stone: If you are questioning it then move on if you have the opportunity to do so. Or if you will not be happy with anything smaller than 3ct be happy to have such a rock on your hand and enjoy your life. This is a much nicer stone than the story I told you about. The color is something you have to determine. I had an I color for many years and it was too warm for me. I traded way down in size to have an E and I am thrilled every day that I did. I am also fortunate to have inherited a larger stone (not as large as yours but a spready 2.31 ct) that Brian Gavin recut to a branded super ideal hearts and arrows so the performance and optics are amazing yet it is an H and the color turns me off. But I also have another stone, also over 2ct, in G color that Brian recut that has medium blue fluorescence and it is a knock out... totally looks as white as my GIA E color. So I don't think the med fl is your issue. But SOMETHING is your issue or you wouldn't be coming back for more input. Think about it.

Omg- thank you for your feedback. Yes, something is my issue for sure! I am incredibly indecisive in general, but I really never want to upgrade- it will be too sentimental for me— so I think I’m putting a lot of pressure on that... and just not a diamond expert by any means but all of my research is making my head explode. Is a 2.8 HCA that bad? From pictures what do you think (I know it’s terrible since iPhones don’t pick up everything)— does the blue look too
Blue in sunlight or hazy?

Thank you thank you!!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Also, it does look pretty white inside right? Or am I selling myself...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I believe you will need at appt at Victor Canera, you can't just drop in. Yes VC is highly trusted. I think you have gone to a lot of trouble to get that diamond and save money and get the most bang for your buck as not a lot of people are comfortable with wire transfer and especially not flying elsewhere to pick up to save the tax. So just for all those efforts alone you should perhaps keep it? If you go on the search function here on PS you can get an idea of what diamonds will cost you with different specs. This is something that is going to take a little time unless you want to pay for a super ideal of which they are all excellent (Brian Gavin, Whiteflash A Cut Above, Victor Canera, High Performance Diamonds (Crafted by Infinity).

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh I just went to a jeweler up in LA on Olive but not VC. It VC highly trusted? It’s about an hour away so idk if I can make it today before they close— ugh. This was just under $31,500— did a wire to save 1.5% and flew to Portland for no sales tax! Yes please help!! Is this the best I will get for that price?? My hubby to be likely doesn’t want to go much higher...

I just think it would help you to compare your stone to other stones so you can see which stone you like best. It is only your opinion that matters. VC is more than highly trusted -he is top notch- but his stones are super ideal, so they can be expensive. Maybe look on his webpage. No matter what you do, it might set your mind at ease to put your diamond head to head with others and see. I suggested VC because you will see the best stones there.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Also, it does look pretty white inside right? Or am I selling myself...

I think it looks very pretty in both lighting situations that you photographed. To me it looks much nicer than a 2.8 on the HCA, in all honesty. The fact that it has a larger table will help give brightness to the warmer color and also the med blue fl will, as well. I think the optics (pattern) are also attractive. @NicoleNeedsHelp what do you think about the photos?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results