shape
carat
color
clarity

60/60 Diamond - Advice on Diamond

NewAccount1

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a new poster that wanted to get some thoughts on my current scenario. I am currently looking to purchase a round diamond that has a table of 60, depth of 60, crown of 34 and pavilion of 40 (H color, excellent polish/symmetry/cut).

It seems to be a very good diamond, but just want to confirm I am not missing something. The diamond is within my budget and has a good clarity, but I wanted to get your thoughts on whether you think the proportions of the diamond are good enough to yield a fantastic diamond given the price I would be spending on it. I have already run the proportions through HCA and it spits out a "2" - light return of excellent, fire of very good, scintillation of very good and spread of excellent.

Am I overthinking everything / is it worth spending more to get a "truly fantastic" diamond with more ideal table to depth dimensions?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am a new poster that wanted to get some thoughts on my current scenario. I am currently looking to purchase a round diamond that has a table of 60, depth of 60, crown of 34 and pavilion of 40 (H color, excellent polish/symmetry/cut).

It seems to be a very good diamond, but just want to confirm I am not missing something. The diamond is within my budget and has a good clarity, but I wanted to get your thoughts on whether you think the proportions of the diamond are good enough to yield a fantastic diamond given the price I would be spending on it. I have already run the proportions through HCA and it spits out a "2" - light return of excellent, fire of very good, scintillation of very good and spread of excellent.

Am I overthinking everything / is it worth spending more to get a "truly fantastic" diamond with more ideal table to depth dimensions?
Welcome to the forum :)

Please may I check if you missed a 'point something' off the stated pavilion angle measurement of 40?

The HCA score being 2 indicates it has good potential to work well.

If you have the stone on Hold, please do post a link to its listing or let us have the GIA report number, so we can look at the table size and Lower Girdle Facet lengths (amongst other things), which can help inform an understanding of how the diamond might perform.

60/60 stones are different to the usual Pricescope-recommended 'SuperIdeal' ranges, which are as follows:

Table 54-58 %
Depth 60-62.4 %
Pavilion 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Crown 34 - 35 degrees (up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallow i.e. 40.6 Pavilion angle)

(When crown angle increases, pavilion angle should decrease. And vice versa!)

60/60 stones tend to give more white light return than coloured fire, so it is likely to be nice and bright. Whether you prefer 60/60 and white light over 'superideal' and coloured fire is entirely up to you - it is personal taste :)

Have you seen a range of diamonds with different proportions, to work out what you like / what you might be missing?

For me, the SuperIdeal 'thing' is that you don't really know what you are missing until you see it :lol: and I personally would be strongly inclined to buy another SuperIdeal if I was ever in the position to buy again (or a GIA XXX with near-SuperIdeal proportions).

As mentioned, though, you have to choose what you like - you or your intended have to wear it, so if your heart doesn't love it, your head will always be wondering 'what if'!

NewAccount1

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your response. The pavilion angle is actually 41.0 (not 40) and the crown is 34.0.

I'm not entirely sure I've seen a "superideal" diamond and candidly don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between that and one that has more white light return.

The GIA is 2195895041.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, the SuperIdeal 'thing' is that you don't really know what you are missing until you see it :lol:
Funny, I was just about to say that about well cut 60/60's:)
And it's my heartfelt feeling that many people who rave about SuperIdeals have not seen how nice well cut 60/60 is.
After years of spending time here, finally people don't rush to call 60/60's poorly cut for that reason alone.....but there's still a huge ( and incorrect IMO) feeling that Super Ideal would be preferred by anyone looking. Which is not the case at all.......

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks a lot for your response. The pavilion angle is actually 41.0 (not 40) and the crown is 34.0.

I'm not entirely sure I've seen a "superideal" diamond and candidly don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between that and one that has more white light return.

The GIA is 2195895041.
Everything on the report looks good 34/41 with other things is one of the 60/60 sweet spots.
GIA grossly rounds the numbers but even with the rounding this one has a lot of potential.
Do you have any images? An ASET or IS image would really help.

NewAccount1

Rough_Rock
I unfortunately do not have an ASET or IS image (I am honestly less experienced at this than the avg. person on this forum). I have seen the stone in person and it didn't emit as much fire as I was hoping for.

I am leaning toward passing on this one to focus on diamonds that are within a more "SuperIdeal" range.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ni New,
The fact that you've seen the stone and it didn't win you over speaks volumes.
I'm not disputing the beauty of Super Ideals at all.
For sure check some out.

The fact is, finding the type of 60/60 that used to be considered the best cut from the '60's to the 90's is harder than finding antique old mine diamonds.....

NewAccount1

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the help. I just want to make sure I grab something great and although this stone seems fine it didn't win me over - I will look to go lower in carat size, but change up the proportions a bit. Thank you.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The fact is, finding the type of 60/60 that used to be considered the best cut from the '60's to the 90's is harder than finding antique old mine diamonds.....
Truth.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo the thought that since the stone didn't win you over, it's not the one.

Just out of curiosity are you the recipient or giver of the stone? If the giver, have you and your partner discussed their likes and dislikes so the receiver gets a ring they love?

I only ask because I have a real sweet spot for OEC's and those chunky facets. Unfortunately my wife doesn't share the same enthusiasm and she prefers modern round cuts. Consequently her stone is a modern round cut.

I'd encourage you to spend a little time looking at diamonds and paying attention to proportions. Even though we say super ideal, there is a range of values that work for that classification and while I think they are all pretty spectacular, the reality is different combos have minor variations that I like to call personality.

So if you have the time, please try to learn what you really like the best before just buying. The time you spend now will save you lots of dollars and heartache later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results