shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd set of CADs from DZ

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your diamond won't be traveling clear across the country to get to DZ, I don't imagine it will take several weeks to get there by Registered Mail (it's taken 3-6 business days for Registered Mail delivery of jewelry from Boston to me here in NYC, altho' that is a shorter distance).

Not every " bench" does fine work with bezel sets, those require more skill/expertise than prong settings. So far as I can tell from my quick Google search of PS, no one has been unhappy with DZ's bezel work. So I'd have Ilya handle this custom project all the way through completion (and send him the stone before he finishes the mounting in case he sees, once he has the stone in hand, that some last-minute tweaking is advisable). Plus, as liaerfbv noted, doing that eliminates the potential for blame- shifting as could well happen if a local jeweler damages the mounting or stone while doing the bezel setting of the center stone.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
So, since we're having issues getting the proportions /look right.. I decided to look online for some ideas on maybe something else that I'd like just as much or more. I found a beautiful, classic, Edwardian ribbon ring. It looks like it would be easy to recreate, but would cost more. So, I'm thinking of talking to Ilya to see if we can just change the ring all together, since we haven't finalized CADs or moved to production. Is this ok to do?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420989133|3814870 said:
* * * I'm thinking of talking to Ilya to see if we can just change the ring all together, since we haven't finalized CADs or moved to production. Is this ok to do?
Sure, no reason not to ask. But I would expect to pay an additional design-CAD charge when wanting to start "from scratch."

ETA: The original halo and airline are not symmetrical whereas the CADs have eliminated those idiosyncracies, so that may be throwing you off (in addition to the bulkiness of the CADs). FWIW, I personally would narrow the air line, but I like how he has positioned the sapphires.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your opinions. I really like working with Ilya. I love his work and it's right in with my style. I just don't feel that the original idea is going to get close enough to my liking and or is a complicated design to read on CADs. The new ring I found, I actually love just a tad more. It's so classic n to the Era of my stone.. and I think would look beyond amazing with the sapphires incorporated. It seems like a pretty straight forward design and should be able to be done CAD wise in a flash without having to go back n forth a lot.

screenshot_2015-01-11-10-03-57.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were a vendor, I would charge a separate CAD fee for each new ring design to be created if they are significantly different from each other, for the fees to form part of the total cost of the new ring to be made, whichever design it may be.

Creating a CAD takes time and effort, and they should not be free, IMHO.

DK :))

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I don't expect to not get charged for the original CAD work. I understand it takes time etc. I have no issue with that. I just don't want to waste anyone's time on something that I don't think is going to be 100% what I want. The CAD for my original design is very hard for me to read. I'd prefer to just move on then to continue going back and forth and possibly not being happy with the end result. I'm not trying to be difficult or ungrateful. I'm not looking for a hand out. Just don't want to waste time. I still want to work with Ilya, and I feel he can create something amazing for me. I just don't thing my 1st design is it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, my advice would for you to consider if going the CAD route is right for you.

If you have found it difficult to read or interrupt the first one, how do you know you can do so with subsequent ones?

DK :confused:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This ring is going to be FAR MORE DIFFICULT to replicate. If you don't think your first one can be done to your satisfaction, don't even bother attempting this one. However, it's up to you to go down another journey that may potentially end in the same spot. It's simply not easy to replicate a design exactly ... people have to be ok with it not looking exactly the same. I have seen numerous disappointments and changing vendors over my years at PS. I find there is often a better outcome if you make changes / make the design more individual or perhaps getting a completely ready made ring.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Charmy. Your original inspiration seems easier to "recreate" than this new one. A lot is also going to depend on your center stone vs that in any particular inspiration piece you find. The only way to get an identical ring really (assuming your stone is comparably sized) is to go back to the original designer for that piece. Otherwise, there will be some difference.

I would consider searching out a vintage or antique mounting that has sapphires, or one you like where you can change out a couple stones for sapphires. There are a lot of antique mountings that are gorgeous & affordable. Just takes patience & determination in the search process. LAD & JbG seem to have a few well made, solid vintage mountings at any given time. I bought one last summer from LAD that is platinum w/sapphires & old cut diamonds that is just gorgeous. If I tried to recreate it via a new custom process, I know it would cost me probably two to three times what I paid.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I should add that I think the new design is beautiful.

This was the ring I asked them to replicate with changes. I own the original and gave them the original ring as well to model after.
daytimespinel.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I don't recall what your budget is but would like to recommend you look at Beverly K. They make very high quality settings and are available through many jewelers. Here's an example of a setting with an airline halo: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/192PP1/ You could easily ask them to swap out the three bezeled side diamonds for sapphires.

Pearlmans is a well trusted vendor on PS. Many on here have gone through them to get diamonds set, including me :))

http://www.beverleyk.com/ the direct site for you to look at settings.

http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/designers/beverley-k another site for you to see styles and price range

http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/beverley-k/1/viewall and another

Pearlmans will most likely offer the best price, especially if you mention PS.

Bev K will modify their settings so you can add sapphires to just about anything.

Edited to add this link of Web Diva's gorgeous Bev K :https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-art-deco-bev-k-ring-princess-of-hearts-from-gog.175328/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1421014248|3815007 said:
This ring is going to be FAR MORE DIFFICULT to replicate. If you don't think your first one can be done to your satisfaction, don't even bother attempting this one. However, it's up to you to go down another journey that may potentially end in the same spot. It's simply not easy to replicate a design exactly ... people have to be ok with it not looking exactly the same. I have seen numerous disappointments and changing vendors over my years at PS. I find there is often a better outcome if you make changes / make the design more individual or perhaps getting a completely ready made ring.

Agree wholeheartedly. The new design is far more complicated and will require more detail to attention, which is not easy when it comes to CADs unless you have the original CAD file in hand.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Taking a break from thread. I'll be back at some point when it's all figured out.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1421032117|3815091 said:
I should add that I think the new design is beautiful.

This was the ring I asked them to replicate with changes. I own the original and gave them the original ring as well to model after.
daytimespinel.jpg
Charmy, Your ring is STUNNING! just wanted to tell ya :)

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Ok.. soooo I talked to Ilya the other day about the 2 rings. He said the new design I inquired about was definitely something he could do. So I put my faith in that and went with it. I just got my 1st renderings back, which are just the basic shape of the ring. And he frigging NAILED it!! I'm over the moon about how this project is starting.

_26047.jpg

screenshot_10.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new one is nice but I really loved the old one. I'm sorry we dont get to see the finished deal but I know you've got to
get what makes you happy.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1421419926|3817376 said:
The new one is nice but I really loved the old one. I'm sorry we dont get to see the finished deal but I know you've got to
get what makes you happy.
Sorry Tyty33 :( I would have loved it if I honestly thought we'd get it to where I wanted it. Maybe it'll be a good project for someone with more patience for the CAD work. Part of the problem was realized after talking to Ilya. . He said that they try to make it better by making asymmetrical designs symmetrical etc. So they were in fact changing the shape. But honestly.. I really love the classic look of the new ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results