shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd set of CADs from DZ

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a crazy illusion. :o The side views show it tucked under the bezel/halo but in the top view, it looks as though the sides are taller/higher than the bezel/halo.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
That's why I thought it was the angle of the CAD. But being my 1st time, I'm not used to it.. so all of your eyes are better than mine

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it has a squared look vs floral. If this were my ring, I would consider flipping the "corners" kinda like this so there is more curvy, less boxy, and also to close up the air line around the center some.

_25854.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks to me like the original ring has a slight tilt to the halo petals as well, like a 20 degree downward angle (similar to the angle on a HW style halo, for the seasoned PS'ers) while your rendering shows the halo completely flat/parallel to the ceiling. Does that make sense? I find that, design-wise, a slightly downward tilt to any halo is more pleasing to the eye. It gives a softer appearance, and allows the halo to be better viewed by the wearer because you will most often be looking at the ring from the side, tilted, versus head on.

Gorgeous design!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Well.. I sent the pics showing the difference btwn the original and the CAD. That will be fixed. I'm also paying for an extra wax. So, at that point once I can try it on, I'll make adjustments as needed then. It's hard to make adjustments like tilting the halo etc, when I've never even seen it in person or tried it on. So, that's a big reason for wanting the wax.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420662030|3813099 said:
Niel|1420661812|3813097 said:
Good. You want to feel completely comfortable in the process or you'll end up with something you don't love.

BTW. I remember you said you also need a new wedding band, is that still true?
Yes, thats true. Figured I'd wait til I had this in hand to see if I should do a vintage eternity or have something made to fit it. What'd ya have in mind?

Nothing, really. Though I thought you said your whole budget for both was 1k ish. I was just going to keep an eye out if you were thinking an antique engraved one or something.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Niel. That's very nice of you. I think I'll get an antique repro stacker from DZ once I try some on local if they go ok

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420683212|3813267 said:
Thank you Niel. That's very nice of you. I think I'll get an antique repro stacker from DZ once I try some on local if they go ok
Good idea.

I can't wait to see it all come together for you ::)

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Just sitting here *twiddling my thumbs* waiting for my email with whats HOPEFULLY my final adjusted CADs.. I want to move forward already.. i want my damn ring back on my finger lol

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Ok friends.. here's what I just received from Ilya. Thoughts?

screenshot_2015-01-09-12-03-27.png

jamie_dempsey_2.jpg

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
It's still not the same .. it's better then the last rendering.. but still very square. I'm now getting g frustrated because I really didn't think it'd be this hard of a project Considering the amount of photos I provided, along with a video. Maybe I'm just being nit picky at this point.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Original is on the left, 1st rendering on the right and recent Ron the bottom

screenshot_2015-01-09-13-35-56.png

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420825187|3814090 said:
It's still not the same .. it's better then the last rendering.. but still very square. I'm now getting g frustrated because I really didn't think it'd be this hard of a project Considering the amount of photos I provided, along with a video. Maybe I'm just being nit picky at this point.

I understand you're frustrated but you have to remember they are designing this ring for YOUR stone. That means the proportions have to change to fit the dimensions of your stone. Going off of a picture is great and gives them an excellent starting point, but it's normal to go through several rounds of CADs to get it just right. I think I had like 5 rounds of CADs with ERD for my ring. This is not a simple setting - there's a lot going on. Don't try and rush the process because you're impatient.

I don't see the CADs being much more square than your inspiration ring. Also the CADs are more bulky than the ring will be because it has to account for metal that's lost during polishing. I'm more concerned with how flat the ring is. Someone mentioned earlier the halo needing a tilt (I think Erica) and I agree the angle should be tilted down a bit - that might also help with your perspective of it being "square." As a personal preference, the airline is also quite big and could be brought in a bit to make it tighter.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the corners of the CAD need to be a bit rounder.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I personally like the airline in the original rung. Once I knew it was called an airline halo, I Google images. I seen ones with close and far airlines.. I preferred the slightly wider ones. I like how it is in the original ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you make the two rings the same size, you'll see that the airline in your CAD is larger than the airline of the original ring. As mentioned above, the halo in the original is also slightly tilted, which helps soften the look.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I'd have to download them to the computer to change their size. As I see no option to on my phone. I did notice in an extreme closeup of the back of the original, that the petals are tilted forward. I already emailed Ilya about that

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The double bezel sapphires at north and south in the halo have one bezel slightly askew. That might be why too. The asymmetry of hand forged work night be why it looks different than cads.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1420835521|3814223 said:
The double bezel sapphires at north and south in the halo have one bezel slightly askew. That might be why too. The asymmetry of hand forged work night be why it looks different than cads.
Unfortunately, I don't know.. with the CADs as is, it could come out right. I have no idea. I've never dealt with CADs before and I'm not a jewler. All I have to go by is that to ME these renderings do not look like the original ring. Again.. that could simply be because the renderings are more bulky and hard to show the proper angles etc. No frigging idea

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I notice in your cad that the bezel sapphires seem to hang over the edge of the airline. In the original it looks like the bezels sit back and the airline is a complete circle. Would this be throwing off the angle, making it look more square instead of cushion?

cad.jpeg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At this point, I would contact DZ and ask for specifics about what happens if you go ahead and you are unhappy with the end result. If you are not sure about the CADs and don't know specifically how to tell them what to fix, I'm concerned you may be unhappy with the final product and not know what your recourse is. It's better to hammer that out now than before they've finished the ring.

I think you've gotten lots of feedback on adjustments but you just seem focused on the fact that it's not the same. You may need to be accept that it's not going to be identical, but just a very close match. Also keep in mind you're looking at blown up pictures and seeing it on your hand is going to be different. If you want to tweak the CAD again to be that much closer to the originals, tell Ilya to tighten the airline, tilt the halo, and make the curve rounder (if the squareness bothers you).

ETA: Looking at the blown up image of the original again, it looks like the melee in the halo are different sizes. Is anyone else seeing that?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I'm not just focusing on the fact that it's different. As I get suggestions and am shown what's off, such as the curve angles, I'm relaying these things to Ilya. As far as what happens if I go to production and don't like it.. I'm SOL. I asked him if their 30 day return was valid on customs. He said no because they work much closer with customs then regular customers

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Your airline is much wider and honestly .. it is very massive. I adore Ilya as a person but my custom experience left me frustrated and I abandoned it and just paid for the CADs. My design was much more complex than this one and I wanted it exact. Chrono will likely remember these CADs :)

I think the design is very close and maybe in real life .. won't be so bad? Did you get the other wax yet?

I suggested DK in the past because honestly .. DK in my mind is the best at replication of an original design out of all the vendors. If you want something as close as possible to something else ... he's your man.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1420846746|3814312 said:
Your airline is much wider and honestly .. it is very massive. I adore Ilya as a person but my custom experience left me frustrated and I abandoned it and just paid for the CADs. My design was much more complex than this one and I wanted it exact. Chrono will likely remember these CADs :)

I think the design is very close and maybe in real life .. won't be so bad? Did you get the other wax yet?

I suggested DK in the past because honestly .. DK in my mind is the best at replication of an original design out of all the vendors. If you want something as close as possible to something else ... he's your man.

After I approved the CADs 2 days ago, It bothered me that something still seemed off. Once the 'petal' curve angle was shown to me and how the difference was, I msgd Ilya. He made an adjustment and thats the above renderings. So no, I haven't gotten any Wax yet. I guess once I get this next CAD, I may just have him make the wax so I can see it in person and on, and decide what needs to be changed from there. Thats really all I can do. What annoys me of myself.. is that had I never seen the original ring, I would be fine with what Ilya came up with. I woulda loved it. But .. his renderings aren't hitting me quite the same. So, i'll wait a few days for the next set.. and go from there I guess. I have asked him to move the airline in a bit, tilt forward the 'petals' if not done already.. as i really cant tell from the CADs. I also asked that he shift the sapphires back a bit, as in his pics it appears they they hinder in the airline a bit. And ask that he lengthen the cuves a bit to try and make it a lil less boxy. I have also asked from the time I got the 1st renderings, to please show the underside of the ring, as it has a very pretty floral shape.. so I wanted to dee how it looked here. It was something that in the video, I liked very much. I never got one, and asked again about it today. He said that he wasn't certain what I was refering to, but if it was the space under the stone, it was an open halo. I told him that I understood that i was open halo.. but the original ring had a specific shape to it.. so I was still curious to see how the underside of HIS ring would look. I emailed him all of this earlier today, but have yet to hear back from him.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the area your referring to wanting to see would be the underside of the gallery.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Well.. apparently my stone is a transitional and not an oec. We were told transitional when we bought it. I had it appraised a few wks ago and was told it's an OEC. That whoever said Trans knew nothing about diamonds. I just took my stone to be unmounted, and the jeweler said it was transitional. So... I'm guessing 2 outta 3 is the one to go with lol. I'm also now terrified because the jeweler told me that most places won't set an outside stone and mounting not by them.. especially a bezel set!! I did not want to send my stone out to be set. Now I don't know wtf is gonna happen. Ugh.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420912724|3814572 said:
Well.. apparently my stone is a transitional and not an oec. We were told transitional when we bought it. I had it appraised a few wks ago and was told it's an OEC. That whoever said Trans knew nothing about diamonds. I just took my stone to be unmounted, and the jeweler said it was transitional. So... I'm guessing 2 outta 3 is the one to go with lol. I'm also now terrified because the jeweler told me that most places won't set an outside stone and mounting not by them.. especially a bezel set!! I did not want to send my stone out to be set. Now I don't know wtf is gonna happen. Ugh.

Have you not already contacted a local jeweler to determine they will set your stone? I am not trying to be harsh but it seems like you jumped in to this project with minimal research and are now playing catch up. I would just ship the stone to Ilya to set it. Send it registered mail, it's like $30 and will get there in a few weeks. It's annoying, but probably easier than finding someone local that you can trust to set it properly and eliminates the issue of finger pointing if something does go wrong during setting. If you are determined to not ship it, where are you located? Maybe we can recommend someone local to you. I imagine getting an outside stone bezel set will be more expensive, if you can find someone competent.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I had someone in mind that said they'd set a stone and setting even if not bought from them.. but I also didn't think to mention it was bezel set. And no, I may not of thought of every aspect of this before starting the project.. but I'm also not a huge jewelry person and wouldn't know that most jewelers wouldn't set outside items. So yes, I'm considering sending it to him.. but why on earth would it take a few wks to get there. That's crazy! I'm in North East MD. About an hr from Baltimore. I'm also very accessible to NJ, parts of PA, Delaware

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1420917084|3814611 said:
I had someone in mind that said they'd set a stone and setting even if not bought from them.. but I also didn't think to mention it was bezel set. And no, I may not of thought of every aspect of this before starting the project.. but I'm also not a huge jewelry person and wouldn't know that most jewelers wouldn't set outside items. So yes, I'm considering sending it to him.. but why on earth would it take a few wks to get there. That's crazy! I'm in North East MD. About an hr from Baltimore. I'm also very accessible to NJ, parts of PA, Delaware

Registered mail is the most safe way to send something, but also the slowest. The package is kept under lock and key the entire time en route, and has to be signed for by each person who handles it. It's the only way I would consider sending a diamond in the mail. I would start a new thread asking for recommendations for local jewelers in your area and specifically mention your project is bezel set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results