shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct Spess Asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully, that got some of your attention.
11.gif

The real question is should I get it? I''ve been drooling over asscher cut coloured stones for a while and thought about getting one when I saw the AGTA pink spinel asschers. Then, I saw some awesome spessartite on this cutter''s website and I asked him if he had any rough available that might be suitable for such a cut. He had lots but only 1 was suitable.

The problem is the colour. What do you think of bi-coloured stones? I have some bi-coloured gemstones but not this large. He''s guessing the final weight is about 2 carats. This spess is 1/2 reddish orange and 1/2 bright orange, which is rather unusual. It sounds interesting but I''m wondering if people who see it might think it is zoning instead or something like that. How does being a bi-colour affect its cost and value? Will a bi-colour asscher look odd? I''ve only seen solid coloured asscher cuts. Can anyone even photoshop this to help me get a better visual?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Chrono,

It got my attention! I have been entertaining the same thing (some colored stone), since I can''t, and will probably never be able to afford the real deal.

Honestly, my initial reaction was, ooh, I dunno. I think for this particular cut, you might want to have just one color, so the design is truly seen and appreciated. Just my .02.

Do you have any links you could give me?, as I tried to search for this very thing, but came up empty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen,
Are you asking for links to pictures of coloured asscher cut stones for photoshopping? I'm not clear on this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 9:55:17 AM
Author: Chrono
Ellen,
Are you asking for links to pictures of coloured asscher cut stones for photoshopping? I''m not clear on this.
Sorry, yes, already cut stones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, i would love to photoshop anything for you but i need clearer directions. As for asscher red/orange for me it comes to where the dividing line is, for example if it's a straight diagonal i would go for it in a heart bit, other location - depends and must see a picture.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a big fan of bi-colored stones so I''d want it either one color or the other. This kind of has that asscher outline though I''m not sure if it''s actualy an asscher cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope (is that you, Irina?),
It''s not cut yet but I believe it is straight up and down (horizontal or vertical - take your pick). I don''t think it is diagonal, although now that I think about it, it sounds rather cool.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2007 10:24:10 AM
Author: Kismet
I'm not a big fan of bi-colored stones so I'd want it either one color or the other. This kind of has that asscher outline though I'm not sure if it's actualy an asscher cut.
Thanks for the link, Kismet. I love that stone - maybe I should just get that one since it is already cut and I can see it. Wow, even for an over 2ct stone, that asscher sure is small at 6.8mm x 6.15mm

What do you all think of that colour and cut?
http://atggems.com/Photos_Spessartite.htm

I can't decide if it should be a pendant or ring. It'll be scrumptious in a rich yellow gold setting.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee...as you can see, I''m WAY partial to square EC colored gemstones! I think a spessertite might be especially great in that cut because of of its sparkle factor.

Not so sure about the bi-color part though...I''d probably be afraid to to commit to it without seeing the finished product first.

I wonder if tourmaline might be another candidate for sq step-cut?

Here''s a picture of one from Cherrypicked that I saved long ago...

widget

cherrypicked tourmaline.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
....Actually, I have an EC spess. I bought it years ago from the Gemshopping Network. I don''t think it''s of sufficient quality to mount, but it definitely is sparkly. here''s a pic:

000_4563.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going off on a slight tangent here:
If I don''t get a spess asscher, what other colours are best? I have thought about a pink tourmaline for a while... Nothing too pricy per carat though.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Widget That is beautiful. Aren''t you ever going to mount it?

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget,
What''s wrong with the spess? It looks very pretty from this side of the screen.

I''ve put the ATT spess asscher on hold because I really need to think about this FAST! It''s going out to a dealer later today and I''m afraid if I let it go, I''ll never see it again. On the other hand, I''m not 100% sold on a spess yet as I''m still playing around with the idea of a pink tourmaline or blue aquamarine. Somebody help me!
32.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 11:28:21 AM
Author: Linda W
Wow Widget That is beautiful. Aren''t you ever going to mount it?

Linda
I probably won''t. It''s has too much brown undertone (in my opinion), and too much extinction.

I''ve taken a pledge that the next colored gemstone ring I get (as if I needed another one
20.gif
) will go into a ''Pokey Special'', so it would have to be an exceptional stone...

widget

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget,

I can understand that. I would LOVE a Pokey Special too.
30.gif
But like you... I do not need another ring. LOL

Linda

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 11:35:10 AM
I''ve put the ATT spess asscher on hold because I really need to think about this FAST! It''s going out to a dealer later today and I''m afraid if I let it go, I''ll never see it again. On the other hand, I''m not 100% sold on a spess yet as I''m still playing around with the idea of a pink tourmaline or blue aquamarine. Somebody help me!
32.gif

Well, which color do you really want, pink or orange or blue (or one of each)? It looks like you have 7 days to return it if the spess turns out not to be what you really want though.

Widget and Linda: Bah, who buys jewelry because you need it? :)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Kismet. You are soooooooooooo right

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original thought was a pink tourmaline. Then the cutter I usually buy from told me about his possible asscher spess which got me thinking. Then you (yes, you are an enabler Kismet) showed me the link to ATT''s asscher and I was hooked even deeper. I normally avoid oranges but this one has such an arresting colour that I can''t stop looking at it. If I go with pink, then the cutter will have to go look for potential rough whereas this one is already cut and I know the final result.

All things aside, what are your opinions on the colour and cut of the ATT asscher? Is the stone bright enough? Too dark? What about the extinction and undertone? I want the stone to be worthy of a pokey special.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think the bi-color would bother me but if you like it go for it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
All things aside, what are your opinions on the colour and cut of the ATT asscher? Is the stone bright enough? Too dark? What about the extinction and undertone? I want the stone to be worthy of a pokey special.
I think it''s beautiful...I definitely like it better than mine...

I wish Movie Zombie would weigh in....I think of her as sort of a spess expert.

Here''s what Richard Wise recently wrote about Spessertite:

As for Spessartite, buy the high grade light-medium tone (30-40%) pure vivid orange to cinnamon orange. Remember once you go beyond medium tone, orange becomes brown and that is to be avoided.

Here''s a pic of a top-o-the-line one:

rw8084d.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, here is PokeySpesscial with the stone you have on hold, i actually like it in not-yellow-gold.

PokeySpesscial.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping MZ would be around to comment too. So for now, the bi spess is out of the picture. I wonder if any of the other regular colour experts would chime on this ATT spess.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Irina, that is beautiful. The white gold makes the stone POP. Great job.

Linda

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....that''s beautiful, Irina!
36.gif

Where are my dark glasses???
10.gif

widget

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2007 12:51:43 PM
Author: Pricescope
Chrono, here is PokeySpesscial with the stone you have on hold, i actually like it in not-yellow-gold.
Irina,
You are a photoshop goddess. I have no idea how you are able to do such manipulations but it is gorgeous. I also noticed the pun in the PokeySpesscial. You are just way too cool.
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
thanks guys, funny name eh? It''s almost the same size as pokey''s garnet too Chrono.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Woot! I''ve never been an enabler before. :)

From that picture I can''t say I''d really call it neon orange like the description states. It looks more reddish orange to me. It looks very pretty to me but I''d ask the seller about the hue and any brown undertones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2007 1:30:38 PM
Author: Kismet
Woot! I''ve never been an enabler before. :)

From that picture I can''t say I''d really call it neon orange like the description states. It looks more reddish orange to me. It looks very pretty to me but I''d ask the seller about the hue and any brown undertones.
Actually, I like the reddish orange colour but Alan from ATT said it''s not as red as the picture shows. He claims a very saturated orange and that this spess has one of the nicest orange for a spess (hence the dealer wanted to get it later today). No browns, I don''t think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results