shape
carat
color
clarity

22C?

newon3

Rough_Rock
Found a ring at a family member's property. No hallmarks, just "22C".
From what I understand it could be from China, India or old European.

From the property's history, I'm inclined to think it's European.

Is there any way to tell?
It's an odd shape, and very heavy (11.92g)

Any help or ideas?
16577877715372826558582094875146.jpg 1657787819977925853296127306829.jpg 16577879709772500505298246698546.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you might be right, looks old and hand forged not cast, because of the thin edge.
The markings don't look fancy enough to be antique, they look more modern.
I'd test to see what gold it is, maybe it's 22k maybe it's not. It's got a patina that's for sure.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Wow a wonderful 11.92g! It does look like the colour of 22 ct (we use "ct" rather than "k" in the UK and Ireland) gold in your photos.

The script of the marking reminds me of that on an English 18 ct gold signet ring that I've got, the age of which I still haven't completely figured out but suspect to be 1920s to 1930s. Mine is marked "18 CT".

It's not impossible for more recent British and Irish pieces to be marked this way either, if commissioned instead of mass produced (my 18 ct gold engagement ring, for instance, was only stamped "750" instead of assayed as it should have been), although I think the metal purity percentage (the "750" in my case) is usually used nowadays.

I feel you can rule out American origin, since pieces made in the US would most likely have been marked with "K".

I'm not sure which basic markings are/were used on continental European gold pieces, been a while since I last looked at those, can any chime in? Oh and traditional Scandinavian wedding bands tended to be 23 ct gold, I think?

newon3

Rough_Rock
The property (family's) borders where there was a church until the 30's.

Lots of Scandinavians in the area way back.

The ring tests 22k.

It's a remarkably heavy men's wedding band (I believe).

I was considering scrapping it, but it is very nice

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
The property (family's) borders where there was a church until the 30's.

Lots of Scandinavians in the area way back.

The ring tests 22k.

It's a remarkably heavy men's wedding band (I believe).

I was considering scrapping it, but it is very nice

Oh definitely don't scrap the ring if you can avoid it. It looks lovely and is worth more than its scrap value since there's a market for older high carat bands. I don't know where you are located, but if I were you and don't want to go to the trouble of finding a buyer, I would totally try sell it to a local antique jewellery shop, or even a pawn shop or consign it with an auction house (especially if you have any other estate pieces to part with), before giving it up for just the metal price. Also we do have a preloved section on the forum where you can post it for sale, worth giving it a go if you want to get rid of it.

newon3

Rough_Rock
Any idea what it would be worth?

22k has varied this month from roughly $50-$54/g.

I figured without hallmarks, it couldn't really be dated (or any other useful info).

The only thing I could see potentially shedding light on it, is the "c" and the odd shape (narrow and thin on bottom, wide and thick on top)

newon3

Rough_Rock
16578273053684347277934817806839.jpg
16578274295785906125345480838929.jpg 16578275015701513838232955918157.jpg

Attachments

• 16578276657751693099033227693420.jpg
    16578276657751693099033227693420.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 8

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with others, it’s likely European made 22 carat. What a nice ring. If you don’t keep it for yourself or your children, you could sell It. Pricescopers would buy it, many here love high carat gold chunky rings. But if I were you I’d wear it yourself (don’t sell heirlooms til you’ve test driven them!)

newon3

Rough_Rock
I agree with others, it’s likely European made 22 carat. What a nice ring. If you don’t keep it for yourself or your children, you could sell It. Pricescopers would buy it, many here love high carat gold chunky rings. But if I were you I’d wear it yourself (don’t sell heirlooms til you’ve test driven them!)
It's not my style (too gaudy and heavy).
Plus, I could use the money.

Any idea what this would be worth?

newon3

Rough_Rock
Bit of an update-

After taking in 2 semi local antique jewelry shops, and corresponding with a handful of folks specializing in this sorta stuff via email...

It's old (heard anywhere from pre-1900-1940's)
It's heavy
The shape is ODD
It is European

Yall are just as good as the pros out there lol.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Bit of an update-

After taking in 2 semi local antique jewelry shops, and corresponding with a handful of folks specializing in this sorta stuff via email...

It's old (heard anywhere from pre-1900-1940's)
It's heavy
The shape is ODD
It is European

Yall are just as good as the pros out there lol.

That's a great update! Glad to hear that you've been to the antique shops, because I was going to suggest asking what they would offer (which would have to be above scrap price), but I've been slow to post on the forum nowadays.

The shape would be atypical for a wedding band, but it did occur to me that it would have been perfect for having one or multiple stones set into the front for a gypsy ring. I'll try to post some reference photos tomorrow when I'm back on the computer.

newon3

Rough_Rock
That's a great update! Glad to hear that you've been to the antique shops, because I was going to suggest asking what they would offer (which would have to be above scrap price), but I've been slow to post on the forum nowadays.

The shape would be atypical for a wedding band, but it did occur to me that it would have been perfect for having one or multiple stones set into the front for a gypsy ring. I'll try to post some reference photos tomorrow when I'm back on the computer.

One place I went to that wasn't mentioned, was a JOKE! The guy looked at it for a few minutes, then tried to say it was only worth scrap... yet would give me $750 for it, because I "came in"....

I hate sleazy people with a firey passion!

I need a crazy loupe. I'm curious as to if there are other marks that have all but worn away? I'd really like to know some sort of history on this chunky girl.

I looked hard with the loupe I have, as far as I can tell, there were no stones ever involved.

Maybe an odd, custom one-off?
I'm still learning towards wedding band, though it's purely a gut thing.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I've cleaned it up a bit more than the photos show (still great patina) and the color is just warming!

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the delay, I took a few snaps of my rings, but then had such a hectic weekend that I just got them off my phone now.

First is an antique/older vintage signet ring of mine estimated to be from 1920s to 1930s, British marked 18CT without official assay marks. As I said the font reminds me a bit of yours. (I believe the front has been modified - old engraving polished down and a new diamond set into it, so please ignore the uncharacteristic thinness of the front piece).

20220722_151011_crop_800.jpg

20220722_150908_crop_800.jpg

I also realised that I actually have a dome ring that's similar in shape to yours. Forgot about this one. Sold to me by the auction house as antique Victorian, 18ct gold, and has a small old mine cut diamond set into it. No markings.

20220722_151442_crop_800.jpg

20220722_151500_crop_800.jpg

20220722_151602_crop_800.jpg

Those two are examples of the many older British signet and gypsy/dome rings that didn't have full assay marks, but only the gold carat number or none at all. Later pieces since 1972 (when the International Convention on Hallmarking was signed) in the UK and Ireland tend to be stamped with the metal fineness in percentage form, even when they haven't been officially assayed, since it's become customary nowadays. Check out this page on the London Assay Office website too: https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/other-services/imports-and-exports.

For instance, this 18ct gold ring of mine made in Ireland in the past 10 years, is stamped "750".

20220722_152642_800.jpg

Lastly, I came across this Victorian gypsy ring on Lillicoco's website the other day, and thought you might find it of interest since the shape is similar and it's marked "18" for metal purity. https://www.lillicoco.com/products/victorian-18ct-gold-old-mine-cut-diamond-solitaire-ring-0-80ct

2022-07-27-02_.png

I still don't feel that it was a conventional wedding ring, as wedding bands in the UK tended to have full assay marks as required by law (check out Lang's page here and scroll down to the Britain part: https://www.langantiques.com/university/hallmarks-on-period-jewelry/). But I guess it could have been used as one. 22ct gold was most often used in wedding bands, but I've definitely seen other rings as well.

One place I went to that wasn't mentioned, was a JOKE! The guy looked at it for a few minutes, then tried to say it was only worth scrap... yet would give me $750 for it, because I "came in"....

I hate sleazy people with a firey passion!

I need a crazy loupe. I'm curious as to if there are other marks that have all but worn away? I'd really like to know some sort of history on this chunky girl.

I looked hard with the loupe I have, as far as I can tell, there were no stones ever involved.

Maybe an odd, custom one-off?
I'm still learning towards wedding band, though it's purely a gut thing.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I've cleaned it up a bit more than the photos show (still great patina) and the color is just warming!

That's kind of shady...Glad you also went to other places. I'm used to hearing all kinds of crazy remarks from antique shops that I'm rarely surprised anymore. For instance, the first signet ring that I have in this post had a small issue that needed fixing when I received it, and one of the shop owners in town told me that it should just be scrapped (it ended up getting repaired just fine at another bench, so go figure).

Yeah, 22ct gold is just the best! My wedding band is in 22 and I find everything else to pale in comparison. I'm glad that you've been enjoying it.

ETA: $750 is actually not too bad but I agree that the way they put it was questionable.

Last edited:

newon3

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the delay, I took a few snaps of my rings, but then had such a hectic weekend that I just got them off my phone now.

First is an antique/older vintage signet ring of mine estimated to be from 1920s to 1930s, British marked 18CT without official assay marks. As I said the font reminds me a bit of yours. (I believe the front has been modified - old engraving polished down and a new diamond set into it, so please ignore the uncharacteristic thinness of the front piece).

20220722_151011_crop_800.jpg

20220722_150908_crop_800.jpg

I also realised that I actually have a dome ring that's similar in shape to yours. Forgot about this one. Sold to me by the auction house as antique Victorian, 18ct gold, and has a small old mine cut diamond set into it. No markings.

20220722_151442_crop_800.jpg

20220722_151500_crop_800.jpg

20220722_151602_crop_800.jpg

Those two are examples of the many older British signet and gypsy/dome rings that didn't have full assay marks, but only the gold carat number or none at all. Later pieces since 1972 (when the International Convention on Hallmarking was signed) in the UK and Ireland tend to be stamped with the metal fineness in percentage form, even when they haven't been officially assayed, since it's become customary nowadays. Check out this page on the London Assay Office website too: https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/other-services/imports-and-exports.

For instance, this 18ct gold ring of mine made in Ireland in the past 10 years, is stamped "750".

20220722_152642_800.jpg

Lastly, I came across this Victorian gypsy ring on Lillicoco's website the other day, and thought you might find it of interest since the shape is similar and it's marked "18" for metal purity. https://www.lillicoco.com/products/victorian-18ct-gold-old-mine-cut-diamond-solitaire-ring-0-80ct

2022-07-27-02_.png

I still don't feel that it was a conventional wedding ring, as wedding bands in the UK tended to have full assay marks as required by law (check out Lang's page here and scroll down to the Britain part: https://www.langantiques.com/university/hallmarks-on-period-jewelry/). But I guess it could have been used as one. 22ct gold was most often used in wedding bands, but I've definitely seen other rings as well.

That's kind of shady...Glad you also went to other places. I'm used to hearing all kinds of crazy remarks from antique shops that I'm rarely surprised anymore. For instance, the first signet ring that I have in this post had a small issue that needed fixing when I received it, and one of the shop owners in town told me that it should just be scrapped (it ended up getting repaired just fine at another bench, so go figure).

Yeah, 22ct gold is just the best! My wedding band is in 22 and I find everything else to pale in comparison. I'm glad that you've been enjoying it.

ETA: $750 is actually not too bad but I agree that the way they put it was questionable.

Considering what 22k goes for /gram, SHADY!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
$750 is a not an unreasonable offer. It might be good to decide what kind of price you are expecting before you try to sell.

Since it is a family heirloom is might be worth more to you to keep it and pass it down?

newon3

Rough_Rock
I've already been offer 1,000
$750 is a not an unreasonable offer. It might be good to decide what kind of price you are expecting before you try to sell.

Since it is a family heirloom is might be worth more to you to keep it and pass it down?

I've already been offered 1,000..

Scrap value is 600-ish, so offering more, if it was indeed for "scrap", is SHADY!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results