shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog 2021 Rapaport "State Of The Diamond Industry" Review

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
John, here are some of my thoughts about your challenging questions.

How has Covid changed your mood? It has made me feel even more blessed that my family has to date not suffered any major consequences of the pandemic. Seeing the death rate of the vaccinated plunge makes me feel even more optimistic about the health of my extended family.

Has it changed your attitude? It has. I am cautiously optimistic about the research that is going on in many countries and the long-term ramifications of the research. Seeing the bungling of the response in the beginning of the pandemic had Resa and I ordering our groceries and other items rather than going to the store. That was difficult. We also really missed going to our Friday night Date Nights at Ruth’s Chris, and as soon as we were vaccinated we started going again, which elevated our attitudes immensely.

Have your shopping habits changed? Shopping habits? I have shopping habits?

Are you purchasing more or less luxury items? The same. Resa and I rarely buy luxury items, except occasionally for each other.

What role do you think the diamond industry should play in terms of social responsibility? I do not deign to think of telling others in the industry what their social responsibility is or should be.

Personally, I belong to Rotary International have donated liberally to their Polio Plus campaign which is close to finally eradicating Polio around the world. Rotary has had public figures like Bill Gates join their efforts and Billions of dollars have been raised and spent over the last forty years or so.

There were fewer than 100 cases worldwide last year. The only two countries of the world in which Polio is still endemic are Afghanistan and Pakistan. Historically, in 1952 there were 52,000 cases in the United States alone. It was a frightening reality of my childhood.

I encourage others in the trade to follow their hearts and get involved with charitable acts, whether through a civic group, a church or their own solo efforts.

In terms of human stewardship? I am proud of the efforts made by members of the trade to create the Kimberley Accords. Personally, I hope the trade will continue to enforce and hopefully to increase the attention paid to the horrible situation of human rights abuses. I also think the world needs to pay attention to abuses in many fields, oil, coltan, etc. Eventually, it come down to consumers demanding ethical behavior from those producing the things they buy. I fear that is a long way away.

In terms of animal and environmental stewardship? Again, I do not think this is something that rests only on the backs of jewelry industry, but more fairly on the governments of the world, who are, for the most part, miserably failing their responsibility.

Personally, I have belonged to such organizations as Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and other such groups with the goal of protecting the game and habitat conservation. Since it was founded in 1937, DU has conserved more than 14 million acres. The huge flights of migrating ducks seen in this country would be MUCH smaller if hunters had not banded together to protect the habitat.

What can be done to combat geopolitical situations where human rights violations persist, beyond industry embargos? This is way above my pay grade.

I will not throw up my hands and say nothing can be done, it is too appalling to be allowed to continue, yet this is again, a governmental sized issue. For example, many companies in the industry refuse to do business with Zimbabwe. This is because the government of Zimbabwe, not terrorists, are the offenders against their own people. The Kimberley Accords only concern the actions of terrorists. Clearly this needs to be changed.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK Wink:
How has Covid changed your mood? Yes :(
Has it changed your attitide? No
Have your shopping habits changed? Yes, shop once a week so as not to be exposed and locked up at home for 2 weeks
Are you purchasing more or less luxury items? Same
What role do you think the diamond industry should play in terms of social responsibility? Make our services available to cheer people up and help them celebrate
In terms of human stewardship? As a business owner and leader I take responsability for my staff's attitudes and well being.
In terms of animal and environmental stewardship? Poor dogs are hiding because they are sick of being taken for walks
What can be done to combat geopolitical situations where human rights violations persist, beyond industry embargos?

Can someone explain this?
1631229242425.png
And I fully support the grand nephew or the guy that cleaved the Cullinan

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In terms of animal and environmental stewardship? Poor dogs are hiding because they are sick of being taken for walks

This answer made me laugh. My dog would walk 48 hours a day if only I could take him. He loves to run, jump in the ditch, find lost balls and then demand I throw them. One of the things I love about the weekends is playing with my dog and walking him twice a day with Resa.

Resa takes him twice a day all week long. about a mile and a half for her in the morning, and another mile in the afternoon. That probably equates to at least five miles for Joe as he runs and sniffs and explores the same fields getting at least three times the mileage that Resa does.

This pays huge dividends during the hunting season. My hunting partners call him Rocket as he leaves their dogs in the dust when it is time to fetch a duck. He is six now, so he will be slowing down a little, but my last two labs lived and hunted into their teens, which is long for Labs. I am taking a lesson from my labs and exercising every day. Sadly, I am still slowing down...

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
In terms of human stewardship?
* Looking out for the well-being of fellow humans and calling out indecencies and atrocities ... is never a bad thing - especially by entities that can make a positive difference by reducing and eliminating human rights violations. Whether something is done about it is, ultimately, up to the presiding powers-that-be of those societies/countries.

I am reviving this thread and the comment above, which involve my September blog post - wherein Rapaport addressed the persisting Zimbabwe Marange field situation (side note - rough from ZW is currently banned from entering the USA, Antwerp and other trade centers due to the issue).

<< The Kimberley Process defines conflict stones as rough that rebel movements use to finance wars against legitimate governments. Unfortunately, a byzantine set of circumstances and generational oppression by Zimbabwe’s “legitimate government” continues to plague artisanal miners in the Marange diamond fields. >>

I recalled @DejaWiz' proclamation in red, above, when I heard -

Breaking news: Zimbabwe has just made a bid to become vice-chair of the Kimberley Process next year, meaning they would hold the gavel in 2023.

Good call. As WDC President Edward Asscher states: "No country can be the chair and be criticized for what’s happening in their country. There’s an opportunity to improve things for people living on the ground.”

Farai Maguwu (CNRG founder), Rapaport's guest and an ardent crusader for change in the Marange fields, comments on the need for a clear government agenda and vision in this JCK coverage. I wholeheartedly agree... Nevertheless, "the presiding powers-that-be" invoked above are placing themselves front and center in the process. Fingers and toes crossed (nod to @Garry H (Cut Nut) ).

Prescient much, @DejaWiz ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results