shape
carat
color
clarity

2017 Fall Baking Thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple pie right out of the oven just now. Mmmmm smells so good. And tarts for our guests to take home...

Oh, what a beautiful pie, missy! The tarts look delicious, too, but the pie looks like something out of a fairy tale! So country. So over-the-river-and-through-the-woods! Thank you so much for posting a photo!

Deb:wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a hankering for an old family favorite--Midnight cake. Deep dark buttery chocolate cake. In addition, I plan on making some pastry--for a pumpkin pie and chunky Tourtiere.

cheers--Sharon

Recipe for the Midnight cake, please? (In case it differs from one of my three very chocolate-y cake recipes. Yes, I only use three.) ;))

Deb

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, what a beautiful pie, missy! The tarts look delicious, too, but the pie looks like something out of a fairy tale! So country. So over-the-river-and-through-the-woods! Thank you so much for posting a photo!

Deb:wavey:

Thanks so much Deb. It was actually the only the second time my dh baked here at the beach house and the oven is different somehow than the Brooklyn oven in terms of baking (don't ask me how I am not well versed in cooking or baking as some here might know). Despite the difference in baking conditions the apple pie was oh so delicious and I enjoyed way too many sweet treats yesterday. But YOLO right? I hope to have more baked yummies to share here as the months continue.

And I continue to watch this thread to satisfy my sweet tooth. All I can say is Mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm good!:lickout: And thank you PSers for sharing.:appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to make a Mexican corn cake today, missy, but I may be too lazy. I bought the last of the ingredients for it yesterday so I have no more excuses.;))

All of you bakers have been inspiring! (And you cooks...waving at kenny!)

Deb :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I know I'm bad with no photos (next time), but I had a baking blitz on Friday. Roasted sugar pumpkin from my garden - made delicious crunchy garlic/cumin/parsley pumpkin seeds (and ate them all). Used the pumpkin in two loaves of great pumpkin bread (I always forget to reduce the sugar in those recipes, so it was more like pumpkin cake, lol). Roasted a whole chicken and then a bunch of root vegetables. It was a drizzly day here made perfect by me baking/roasting up a storm! There is nothing like a rainy day and a house full of comfort food that you've earned the right to enjoy with some nice wine...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I know I'm bad with no photos (next time), but I had a baking blitz on Friday. Roasted sugar pumpkin from my garden - made delicious crunchy garlic/cumin/parsley pumpkin seeds (and ate them all). Used the pumpkin in two loaves of great pumpkin bread (I always forget to reduce the sugar in those recipes, so it was more like pumpkin cake, lol). Roasted a whole chicken and then a bunch of root vegetables. It was a drizzly day here made perfect by me baking/roasting up a storm! There is nothing like a rainy day and a house full of comfort food that you've earned the right to enjoy with some nice wine...

Hi, minousbijoux!

I must confess that I would be delighted with pumpkin bread in which you forgot to reduce the sugar!!! But I am a poor, suffering, carb-deprived Atkins dieter! That is why I decided to make a corn cake after making a delicious cornbread the other day! If the cornbread (which used sugar) was good, wouldn't corn cake be even better? (Not that I can eat it! But the vicarious pleasure derived from baking it will be enormous!) You sound like a healthy cook and a healthy eater. I am very, very reluctant to be a healthy eater and so I refuse to be a healthy baker!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recipe for the Midnight cake, please? (In case it differs from one of my three very chocolate-y cake recipes. Yes, I only use three.) ;))

Deb

What's four recipes among friends? This is my Mom's recipe--likely from her 60's Sunbeam (mix master) book cook.

1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/4 cups berry sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup (pure) cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

I'll preface this by saying and only use 1 cup sugar and use a bit more than 1/2 c butter. If I don't have cake flour I use all purpose and if I don't have berry sugar I use regular granulated. I no longer sift my flour. My results are consistently good. This cake is not really "sweet".

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add boiling water to cocoa, whisking until smooth. Dissolve cocoa completely. Let cool.

Cream butter, add sugar, mix until light and fluffy. Blend in well beaten eggs and add vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients.

Alternating with cocoa/water, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, until all combined/smooth. (I usually alternate a 1/3 of each at a time)

Grease pan(s). 8 inch square, bake 50-55 minutes. Layers 25-30 minutes.

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, minousbijoux!

I must confess that I would be delighted with pumpkin bread in which you forgot to reduce the sugar!!! But I am a poor, suffering, carb-deprived Atkins dieter! That is why I decided to make a corn cake after making a delicious cornbread the other day! If the cornbread (which used sugar) was good, wouldn't corn cake be even better? (Not that I can eat it! But the vicarious pleasure derived from baking it will be enormous!) You sound like a healthy cook and a healthy eater. I am very, very reluctant to be a healthy eater and so I refuse to be a healthy baker!

But, but, but...you're a baker, which then means that you make delicious, unhealthy baked goods and then you don't eat them because of the Atkins diet? OMG, that's my idea of torture!

You know what? Every year this thread makes me so happy! So a big thank you to you Deb (and where's the hug emoji when you need it?!!)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's four recipes among friends? This is my Mom's recipe--likely from her 60's Sunbeam (mix master) book cook.

1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/4 cups berry sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup (pure) cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

I'll preface this by saying and only use 1 cup sugar and use a bit more than 1/2 c butter. If I don't have cake flour I use all purpose and if I don't have berry sugar I use regular granulated. I no longer sift my flour. My results are consistently good. This cake is not really "sweet".

Add boiling water to cocoa, whisking until smooth. Dissolve cocoa completely. Let cool.

Cream butter, add sugar, mix until light and fluffy. Blend in well beaten eggs and add vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients.

Alternating with cocoa/water, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, until all combined/smooth. (I usually alternate a 1/3 of each at a time)

cheers--Sharon

Hiya Sharon! I'm not familiar with berry sugar - can you explain what it is? TIA.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made the Mexican corn cake and I am waiting for someone to try it. It has very little sugar, although it is described as Mexican sweet corn cake, so I believe it is probably more of a cornbread. I believe when I first got the recipe I saw someone's photo of it and that it looked like a pudding inside. One is supposed to scoop it out. I have not, yet, seen the inside of mine. Since I baked it (at least this first time) according to the instructions I kept foil over it the entire time it baked, so it is not golden, but yellow. (Another strange feature to the recipe is that the 8" by 8" pan sits inside a 9" x 13" pan that is 1/3 full of water. Since i used disposable pans, I had to remind myself to be careful handling them since they would not be sturdy and I did not want to be scaled by water that had been in a 350 degree oven for an hour!) I don't know why this appeals to me so much, but it does.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter's boyfriend, who is from Bolivia, tried the corn cake. He said it tasted exactly like a traditional Bolivian cake but that the Bolivian cake was wrapped in leaves and came steaming from the oven. (He was eating my corn cake cold as he said this.) He said his mother didn't know how to make it, but that they bought it. He also showed it to me on the computer. And he likened it to a Mexican tamale, which he showed me photos of, wrapped in corn husks, saying that the Mexicans liked spicier foods and the Bolivians liked sweeter foods.

I ended up sending half the cake home with him for his parents, which made me very happy. I realized I never posted the recipe, which I am doing below. Now I want to see if I can find the Bolivian steamed cake he showed me!

Mexican Sweet Corn Cake

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup masa harina*
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups-2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions

1. In a medium bowl beat butter until it is creamy. Add the Mexican corn flour and water and beat until well mixed.
  2. Using a food processor, process thawed corn, but leave chunky. Stir into the butter mixture.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to corn flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan.
*The term masa harina is used for corn meals of different grinds. This recipe appears to intend it to mean corn flour.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huminta

The Bolivian dish is called "Huminta" and it predates Columbus. It is also spelled "Humita" in some other Latin American countries. Humintas have been compared to tamales, but there are protests from some people who make them in their countries. In Ecuador, apparently, because no corn flour is used (just freshly ground corn), the people do not want their "humitas" to be called "tamales".

Huminta-600w.jpg

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Makes 6 servings

½ cup yellow corn meal

½ cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon salt

1 – 15 ounce can whole kernel sweet corn

½ cup milk

¼ cup canola oil

2 eggs

½ teaspoon mild chili powder

An 8×8 square glass baking pan, buttered

1. Preheat oven to 375º. Dry mix the corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Dry mix with corn folded in

1. In a food processor, pulse the kernels of corn with 3 Tablespoons of the packing liquid for 15 seconds. Fold into the dry mixture.
  2. Stir in the milk and oil until just moistened.
  3. Whisk two eggs until frothy and add them to the batter, stirring until incorporated but not beating. As with biscuits, the batter should be slightly lumpy to create a crumby texture.
  4. Pour batter into buttered 8×8 glass baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  5. Remove from the oven, top with sliced cheese, sprinkle on chili powder and return to the oven to bake a further 10 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.
  6. Let cool for 10 minutes, slice into 6 pieces and serve hot.
(If you think I have gotten off track from the fall baking thread, I hope I have not. At least for this house I am on the subject. I am baking cornbread here. I see plenty of corn muffin mix for Thanksgiving in the stores, too, so I don't think I am doing anything too awful here!)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42,

How did you get yours to be so round? They look soooo yummy btw!!

Here are mine, made last week using this recipes (everything from scratch) - they were seriously gooey chocolatey, I used extra chocolate chips & squares. I am gonna try the browned butter though - love toffee!!
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipe...-cookies/77c14e03-d8b0-4844-846d-f19304f61c57

upload_2017-11-6_14-39-9.png

Anyhow, I've been on bed rest - have a little dizziness. So to combat boredom, I've been baking and cooking, more than I usually do, lol. One of my friends who came to visit had a cookie and loved it but asked me how much sugar and how much butter, to which I said " a lot, these are for other people; and I use less when I bake for myself" to which she said "oh, that's not nice" to which I said "is anyone holding a gun to your head?"!:lol::evil2:

Last edited:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread. Especially the pumpkin recipes! It’s Spring here in Australia but Halloween etc has had me craving pumpkin lately.

For those interested in healthy baking, I love Teresa Cutter. Her recipe for pumpkin pie with oatmeal gingersnap short crust is below. I’m actually eating this as I type!

https://www.thehealthychef.com/2014/10/pumpkin-pie-with-oatmeal-gingersnap-shortcrust/

INGREDIENTS (SERVES 12)
Oatmeal Gingersnap Shortcrust (see notes for gluten free)
Use 1 x 20 cm pie tin (7 1/2 inch)

200g (2 cups) organic rolled oats
50 g (1/2 cup) organic desiccated coconut
60 g cultured butter or your choice of (coconut or macadamia nut oil)
2 tbsp organic maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger

Filling

450g (2 cups) roasted cinnamon pumpkin
3 fresh pitted dates or 2 tablespoons honey or organic maple syrup
3 organic / free range eggs
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnmon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup organic coconut or pure cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste

METHOD
  1. Combine crust ingredients into a bowl and mix well until combined. The longer you mix the better as this will achieve a softer oatmeal dough that binds perfectly.
  2. Rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Press your oatmeal crust into a 20 cm pie shell and set aside to prepare the filling.
  4. Blend roasted pumpkin with the dates or honey, eggs, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cream and vanilla.
  5. Pour into your pie shell.
  6. Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 45 minutes.
  7. Cool for at least 2 hours and enjoy warm or cold.
A3A770A9-F30F-4D23-A54A-D97FAF2081CC.jpeg

3455F897-A886-4A6A-95CD-9A023224678E.jpeg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, your cookies look so yummy with all that melty chocolate. Super indulgent!! :)
I made mine with the icebox/refrigerator cookie method (i.e. rolled into a salami-like log and wrapped in parchment paper, chilled overnight, then I slice them up into 1.5cm-thick 'coins' before baking) in order to get the round shape. I tried the 'ice cream scoop' method before and it just didn't work for me, the cookies spread all over the place. I also like the icebox method because then I can make the dough in advance and keep the logs of chilled dough in the fridge for up to a week. So I would bake only 1-2 cookies at a time (just cut off 2 slices from the log and bake for 10-12 min) in order to exercise portion control and also to have uber-fresh cookies. Otherwise I'd eat 12 cookies all in one go!!! :rolleyes:

@Siameseroo That pumpkin recipe looks really delicious and I love how it uses relatively unprocessed sweeteners and seems to be GF. May have to try it for Thanksgiving soon! :lickout:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you sooo much for that, @mochiko42

Yeah, I agree about the ice-cream scoop method; that doesn't work for me either. I also put my dough in the fridge for up to an hour before baking. I use a 1/3 cup and a flat knife for apportioning and transferring to the baking sheet.

Your log & coin method is ingenious!!:appl: I'm trying that next time! So, you keep the dough in the fridge or freezer? Sorry, my brain is a bit dulled today, no doubt due to all the sugar I've been consuming, lol.

Hehe, I have about 15-16 cookies left. I made 2 batches of 12 cookies each time following the recipe I posted. I'm having to exercise huge willpower not to touch them. Have given/ will give some to friends.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a baked chicken be considered "baking" for this thread?;)2

(Dinner tonight).

upload_2017-11-6_18-18-42.png

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, I usually put mine in the fridge because I use it up within a week. If you want to keep it longer you can freeze it up to 3 months, if you've stored it properly it should be fine. I always put the cookie logs in a plastic bag then a freezer bag (double bag) so they don't absorb funny odours from the fridge (my hubby likes his kimchi!). You can bake the cookies from frozen, just take care when slicing the dough since it will be harder and bake a couple more minutes extra in the oven.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix, that looks amazing!!!

Do you have a good chicken recipe to share?

And Mochiko, your scrumptious photos made me so tempted to try baking the NYT cookie. And thanks for sharing the burnt butter idea. I went to Serious Eats website and saw they had a waffle recipe using that. May also try that this weekend =)2

Last edited:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a baked chicken be considered "baking" for this thread?;)2

(Dinner tonight).

upload_2017-11-6_18-18-42.png

That looks delicious. Technically chicken roasted in an enclosed oven is baked, correct? It looks delicious either way. I love rôtisserie chicken. There is a rotisserie takeout spot near my office run by some emigrants from France, they use imported French chickens and roast potatoes with rosemary, sel de Guérande and chicken drippings. Every time I walk past there I greedily inhale the aromas of the spit-roasted poulet like Charlie Bucket walking past the chocolate factory!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, I usually put mine in the fridge because I use it up within a week. If you want to keep it longer you can freeze it up to 3 months, if you've stored it properly it should be fine. I always put the cookie logs in a plastic bag then a freezer bag (double bag) so they don't absorb funny odours from the fridge (my hubby likes his kimchi!). You can bake the cookies from frozen, just take care when slicing the dough since it will be harder and bake a couple more minutes extra in the oven.

Perfect! Thank you so much for all that, @mochiko42 .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, that looks amazing!!!

Do you have a good chicken recipe to share?

Thank you, @happybear . This is basically my own recipe since I've been baking chickens for a while now.

So, it is:
- 1 medium free-range chicken (don't ask me for the weight pls, lol. I just eyeball. But it should be about 1kg plus possibly 200g), washed and pat-dried
- rosemary
- thyme
- bay leaves
- half a lemon
- good pinch of freshly ground pepper (use as much or as little as you wish)
- tiny pinch of salt (as much or as little as you wish)
- root vegetables + sweet and/ or Western potatoes + 5 or 6 peeled garlic cloves + half an onion: chop to whatever size you wish, I usually chop them to about 2 inch wide/ long and I don't chop the garlic
- 2-3 tablespoonfuls of olive oil

Line a cooking tray with aluminium foil, drizzle a little olive oil onto the bottom of the tray. Put the chicken onto the middle of the tray. Squeeze a little of the lemon juice onto the chicken, then put the half lemon into the chicken cavity. Stuff half of the aromatics into the chicken too. Rub the salt + pepper on the chicken skin. Arrange the root vegetables, potatoes, garlic cloves and half onion around the chicken. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil onto the chicken as well as on the veggies. Put into a pre-heated oven at 190 deg Celsius (375 F) and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, take the chicken out and turn it over, put the remainder of the aromatics on the bottom of the tray and under the chicken. Put back into the oven but turn down the temperature to 170 deg (340 F) and bake for another 45 mins or until golden brown. Remove tray and let chicken cool down for 5-10 mins before serving. Serve with green vegetables if desired. Voila!!

Sometimes, I use the drippings to make a gravy. But most of the time though, I'm too hungry, so I just eat the chicken and veggies without bothering to make a gravy.

Last edited:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix Have you ever tried Ina Garten's infamous 40 cloves of garlic roast chicken? (I'd like to try that someday but am a little afraid...)

I have two standard roast chicken recipes. One is to roast/bake it with garlic, lemon, sage and rosemary. So somewhat similar to your recipe.

My other standby is to use Penzeys Ozark (southern style) spice blend on roast/baked chicken when I want the flavor of KFC but don't actually want to eat at KFC. I sometimes have awful craving for KFC even though I know they use inferior ingredients so using the Ozark blend is a good home substitute. (Although I do admit I ate KFC in Tokyo once because they make it with local Japanese kodawari chickens and I felt more assured of the quality!)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix Have you ever tried Ina Garten's infamous 40 cloves of garlic roast chicken? (I'd like to try that someday but am a little afraid...)

I have two standard roast chicken recipes. One is to roast/bake it with garlic, lemon, sage and rosemary. So somewhat similar to your recipe.

My other standby is to use Penzeys Ozark (southern style) spice blend on roast/baked chicken when I want the flavor of KFC but don't actually want to eat at KFC. I sometimes have awful craving for KFC even though I know they use inferior ingredients so using the Ozark blend is a good home substitute. (Although I do admit I ate KFC in Tokyo once because they make it with local Japanese kodawari chickens and I felt more assured of the quality!)

Ha, I didn't know what Penzeys Ozark was and had to Google it. I'm not sure we have it here but I'll hunt for it. Thanks. x

ETA: I love Japanese products. We have a few Japanese supermarkets here and practically everything there is superior than our usual supermarkets, the fruits are sweeter, more juicy, the meats fresher and better-tasting, eggs free-range organic, fish of course is much much fresher, bread & patisseries out-of-this-world tasty etc etc. On that last note, I believe Japanese pâtissiers often go to France to learn their craft and their profiteroles are just sooo SINFULLY delicious!!

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/4 cups berry sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup (pure) cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine dry ingredients.

Thank you for this, Sharon. When I am at my downstairs computer, I will print this out so I can put it into my three-ring binder. Then I can compare it to my other good chocolate cake recipes. I have to confess that I have not made any of of them in so long that I do not even remember if this one is similar to one of them. I am a very, very lazy baker!!!

I appreciate your posting this!

Hugs,
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... bread & patisseries out-of-this-world tasty etc etc. On that last note, I believe Japanese pâtissiers often go to France to learn their craft and their profiteroles are just sooo SINFULLY delicious!!

I love Japanese restaurants, but I have never tasted Japanese patisserie. Or breads. It is the freshness of the "standard" food and the combination of flavors that I enjoy. I mainly know the foods that one can pick off any Japanese restaurant menu.

This is becoming a great thread. A bit beyond cranberry bread (not that I do not love that.) Thank you for your contributions! ;))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Japanese restaurants, but I have never tasted Japanese patisserie. Or breads. It is the freshness of the "standard" food and the combination of flavors that I enjoy. I mainly know the foods that one can pick off any Japanese restaurant menu.

This is becoming a great thread. A bit beyond cranberry bread (not that I do not love that.) Thank you for your contributions! ;))

It's both actually, Deb. Japanese products are usually super fresh, but the (combination of) flavours are also superior. I understand that Japanese fruit producers, for example, have "invented" (if that's even the right word, lol) ways to grow fruits that are superior, much sweetier and more fragrant. But you do pay the price for that superiority, oh boy do you have to pay! lol. For example, ONE Japanese melon here typically costs SGD100 (USD70 approx) vs SGD6-7 (USD5 approx) for a "regular" melon in the standard supermarkets.

I found these interesting articles:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-is-fruit-so-expensive-in-japan-9605105.html
http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/japan-luxury-expensive-fruit/index.html

OMG!! I ONLY eat Japanese baguettes here from a particular supermarket in the main shopping district. I refuse to eat any other bread. And their organic free-range eggs are also the only eggs I would eat. And I usually close my eyes when I walk past the patisseries lest my will is weakened, lol.

Thank you for allowing me to post. I LOVE foods and enjoy this thread very much.:)

Last edited:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's both actually, Deb. Japanese products are usually super fresh, but the (combination of) flavours are also superior. I understand that Japanese fruit producers, for example, have "invented" (if that's even the right word, lol) ways to grow fruits that are superior, much sweetier and more fragrant. But you do pay the price for that superiority, oh boy do you have to pay! lol. For example, ONE Japanese melon here typically costs SGD100 (USD70 approx) vs SGD6-7 (USD5 approx) for a "regular" melon in the standard supermarkets.

I found these interesting articles:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-is-fruit-so-expensive-in-japan-9605105.html
http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/japan-luxury-expensive-fruit/index.html

OMG!! I ONLY eat Japanese baguettes here from a particular supermarket from the main shopping district. I refuse to eat any other bread. And their organic free-range eggs are also the only eggs I would eat. And I usually close my eyes when I walk past the patisseries lest my will is weakened, lol.

Thank you for allowing me to post. I LOVE foods and enjoy this thread very much.:)

I order my fruit and vegetables directly online from Japan now. It's cheaper than buying at the Japanese supermarket here! In HK they have a Japanese grocery delivery company called Oisix (originally from Japan, my friend in Tokyo says that Oisix is popular amongst Japanese too) and each week they will deliver direct via air from Japan. I get eggs, yogurt, vegetables and fruit flown in from Japan as I don't trust the local markets which sell mostly Chinese produce... I ate so many peaches this summer this way! Not sure if this company has expanded to Singapore yet?

Hubby and I travel to Japan at least once a year just to eat. Usually on the last day of the trip I'll buy as much fruit as I can hand carry to bring back home. Last time I brought back 3 melons, 6 citrus (dekapon, mikan, yuzu, etc) and white ghost strawberries!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I order my fruit and vegetables directly online from Japan now. It's cheaper than buying at the Japanese supermarket here! In HK they have a Japanese grocery delivery company called Oisix (originally from Japan, my friend in Tokyo as that Oisix is popular amongst Japanese too) and each week they will deliver direct via air from Japan. I get eggs, yogurt, vegetables and fruit flown in from Japan as I don't trust the local markets which sell mostly Chinese produce... I ate so many peaches this summer this way! Not sure if this company has expanded to Singapore yet?

OMG!! I'm soooo jealous!!;)2

I just Googled Olsix and nope, it's not here yet. But praying that it will expand to SG soon. Thank you for letting me know, x. I'm super excited and cannot wait!! :dance:

I'm fairly confident that the Japanese produce here are actually Japanese. Of the few non-Japanese items carried by said supermarket, the labels will actually state the origins and the products are priced accordingly.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! I'm soooo jealous!!;)2

I just Googled Olsix and nope, it's not here yet. But praying that it will expand to SG soon. Thank you for letting me know, x. I'm super excited and cannot wait!! :dance:

I'm fairly confident that the Japanese produce here are actually Japanese. Of the few non-Japanese items carried by said supermarket, the labels will actually state the origins and the products are priced accordingly.

Oh no, I didn't mean that the shops here would pass off fakes as Japanese produce! Just that the more reasonably priced produce here is from China due to the proximity, and Japanese produce is so expensive. With Oisix, it means I only pay US$5 for a peach instead of $10! Plus the 1 yen specials are amazing!!

OK I'll stop taking over the baking thread now. :whistle::whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results