shape
carat
color
clarity

2017 Fall Baking Thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes we have a fall baking thread here on Pricescope, and sometimes we have holiday baking threads. I feel like making some pumpkin recipes now in the Hallowe'en to Thanksgiving period, so I have been looking at recipes on-line. I printed out two tonight that I hope to make, perhaps with some adjustments. One is for a pumpkin roll and the other is for a pumpkin pie bread pudding.

Here is the one for the pumpkin roll. I have never made a pumpkin roll of any kind and there were a huge number of recipes available on-line. If anyone has a favorite, please post it! And I hope that you will dig out some of your other fall recipes as well!

It's getting cold where i live and having the oven on feels nurturing!

Deb:wavey:

Granny Kat's Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.

3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.

4. Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.

5. Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.

1. When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll (not in the towel this time), and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread idea.
I just happen to be making tabouleh:
This may be a repost:

Kenny’s Cranberry Tabouleh

In a strainer, rinse and drain 1 c Bulgur Wheat
In very large glass bowl combine:
Bulgar wheat
1 ½ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch Cayenne Pepper

Peel and finely chop 1 entire bulb of garlic, or I use 2 Tbsp Costco chopped garlic
Heat 3+ Tbs olive oil into a heavy skillet on low heat
Simmer, stirring often, till lightly brown
Stir in 1 c room-temp water and 1\2 c dried cranberries
Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 5 minutes
Stir it into the bulgar wheat mixture.
Stir well, let cool uncovered 30 minutes at room temp, stirring a couple times

Add:
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c olive oil
Stir, cover with plastic wrap, chill 1 hour

Chop:
1 bunch parsley, regular or Italian
1 bunch green onions
3 or 4 whole (unpeeled) Persian cucumbers (preferred) or 1 large regular cucumber with seeds and skin removed
Tomatoes – 4 large, 6 medium, or 8 small

Add chopped veggies to chilled wheat mixture, stir well
Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice or olive oil
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to improve texture and flavor

Optional: Before serving sprinkle with chopped toasted or caramelized walnuts, or pine nuts

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I returned to post a photo of the pumpkin roll and found kenny's tabouleh. It looks heavenly!!! I think I will be packing on pounds this holiday season! Thanks for the recipe, kenny.

Deb :wavey:

GrannyKat'sPumpkinRoll.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
De nada, Deb.

Unfortunately the old man and I don't eat sugar or white flour any more; that puts a damper on holiday treats.:cry2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
De nada, Deb.

Unfortunately the old man and I don't eat sugar or white flour any more; that puts a damper on holiday treats.:cry2:

I don't know if you like cornbread (or can eat it) at your house, but I spent at least two hours searching the 'net for cornbread recipes yesterday. (Please do not ask me why. I have no alibi!)

At any rate, I discovered that some people think cornbread is best when made without sugar or flour, so when I saw what you posted above, I thought I would share this recipe. I have no idea how good it is.

I applaud you for your healthy cooking and eating.

Southern Style Cornbread (no Sugar Or Flour)

Ingredients
2 cups Cornmeal 2 large Eggs; beaten
2 teaspoons Baking Powder 2 cups buttermilk; (no substitutions)
1/2 teaspoon Salt 2 tablespoons bacon drippings; veg. oil or melted butter
Preparation
Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave oil in bottom of pan. Place pan in oven to heat. Combine ingredients using the muffin method and mix well. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle.

Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom crust, sprinkle a little cornmeal into pan before adding batter. Serves 6 to 8

Muffin method: Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet ingredients, mix. Add wet to dry and mix.

Each seving contains:

Cals: 134, Cals from Fat: 32

Total fat: 4g, Sat Fat: 1g, Poly fat: 1g

Chol: 47mg, Sodium: 237mg, Potassium: 116mg

Total carbs 20g, Fiber 2g, sugars: 2g

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you like cornbread (or can eat it) at your house, but I spent at least two hours searching the 'net for cornbread recipes yesterday. (Please do not ask me why. I have no alibi!)

At any rate, I discovered that some people think cornbread is best when made without sugar or flour, so when I saw what you posted above, I thought I would share this recipe. I have no idea how good it is.

You mean the people who make cornbread the correct way? Why yes, there are some of us here. ;))

ETA - The eternal sugar/no sugar battles crop up from time to time play out in our house. Hubs prefers sugar, me, no. I'm right, he's wrong. Simple. ;-)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have plans to make pumpkin bars for a party and pumpkin whoopie pies for a bake sale. Both, like the pumpkin roll, are just variations on combining pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. Yay!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I applaud you for your healthy cooking and eating.

Southern Style Cornbread (no Sugar Or Flour)

Ingredients
2 cups Cornmeal 2 large Eggs; beaten
2 teaspoons Baking Powder 2 cups buttermilk; (no substitutions)
1/2 teaspoon Salt 2 tablespoons bacon drippings; veg. oil or melted butter
Preparation
Heat oven to 450. Grease a well-seasoned 9 inch cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons oil or bacon drippings. Leave oil in bottom of pan. Place pan in oven to heat. Combine ingredients using the muffin method and mix well. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle.

Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. For a crispier bottom crust, sprinkle a little cornmeal into pan before adding batter. Serves 6 to 8

Muffin method: Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet ingredients, mix. Add wet to dry and mix.

Each seving contains:

Cals: 134, Cals from Fat: 32

Total fat: 4g, Sat Fat: 1g, Poly fat: 1g

Chol: 47mg, Sodium: 237mg, Potassium: 116mg

Total carbs 20g, Fiber 2g, sugars: 2g

Thanks very much for this!!!
I'm gonna make it.
We eat real butter but bacon has never entered this house.
:cry2: ... because I used to love it.

BTW, my grain mill can turn unpopped popcorn into cornmeal.:dance:
I love the idea of milling only what I need now, and leaving the rest of the grain safely preserved inside nature's seal.
I've read wheat kernels can last decades and this makes it a favorite of folks who are preparing for the end times or whatev they call it. :roll:
Those folks buy a mill with a hand crank since there won't be power.

When I got into this flour milling kick I had a hard time finding wheat in unmolested kernels.
I went online and many sources said to ask your local Mormons whether they'd sell you some since they keep lots in storage.

Hey, maybe they should bring some along when they go door to door. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're interested in pumpkin recipes specifically, I made this Pumpkin Mousse recipe a couple of years ago. It was delicious and looked very elegant but did take a bit of time to make. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pumpkin-banana-mousse-tart-recipe-1941991

Yesterday, I spent most of my evening baking chocolate cupcakes for DS's birthday celebration in school. Made 36 cupcakes plus finished them with dark chocolate ganache this morning before taking everything to school. Also a Barefoot Contessa recipe that always gets rave reviews. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chocolate-ganache-cupcakes-recipe2-1946472

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread! Not quite baking, perhaps, but I make a pretty good caramel pudding! And it is *almost* (hmmmm...) sugar free, @kenny ;-) Well, apart from the caramel sauce... I'll try to translate the recipe if anyone is interested? Actually, it's really simple so here goes:

Caramel sauce: a full frying pan of sugar - heat until liquid - glace the form for the pudding

6 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
60 gram of sugar
-----> whip whip whip LOL

0.5 litre full fat cream
0.5 litre full fat milk
vanilla bean or other vanilla flavour, ( you might also add a bit of cognac or caramel flavour...)
------> heat until boiling

-------> when boiling, pour eggs in really slowly whilst stirring like crazy

Then, pour into the glazed form and cook in the own in a "water bath" (sorry, no idea what that is really called, LOL) at 180C for about 1.5-2 hours until firm when pressed with a wet spoon.

Caramel sauce: a full frying pan - heat until liquid - glace the form for the pudding. When cold, turn over,

aaaaand voila:

caramel.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made these Apple Crisp Bars (without the caramel) recently. They are perfect. https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/07/03/salted-caramel-apple-pie-bars/

Apple Crisp Bars.jpg

These look fabulous, and I was really glad to see that there were oats in the recipe. I seem to be having a huge craving for grain (perhaps because I have been so deprived while being on a low carb diet). Kenny's Tabouleh with bulgur wheat; oats; real cornmeal (I was also reading recipes involving polenta) and other grains seem to be calling to me in a way that only pastries did in the past! I really think I could be happy with an apple crisp made with apples and oats and only a little natural sweetener (maybe honey? Maybe a very sweet fruit?). I am currently so unused to sugar. Not that I do not use artificial sweetener. I do!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much for this!!!
I'm gonna make it.
We eat real butter but bacon has never entered this house.
:cry2: ... because I used to love it.

BTW, my grain mill can turn unpopped popcorn into cornmeal.:dance:
I love the idea of milling only what I need now, and leaving the rest of the grain safely preserved inside nature's seal.
I've read wheat kernels can last decades and this makes it a favorite of folks who are preparing for the end times or whatev they call it. :roll:
Those folks buy a mill with a hand crank since there won't be power.

When I got into this flour milling kick I had a hard time finding wheat in unmolested kernels.
I went online and many sources said to ask your local Mormons whether they'd sell you some since they keep lots in storage.

Hey, maybe they should bring some along when they go door to door. :bigsmile:

Your grain milling sounds awesome. I never got involved in that, but when I was young (before bread machines) I baked a lot of bread and used a lot of natural grains (which I bought already milled). I had cupboards full of exotic flours and huge ceramic tubs of dough rising in the bathtub! (I found that keeping it there kept it warm.) I rarely bake with flours other than white anymore. But you are giving me ideas! In fact, you are inspirational!

Deb:wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the second recipe I found on my first day of looking for pumpkin recipes. I wasn't sure it would be the ideal pumpkin bread pudding recipe for me, but I decided I would study it and see if I wanted to change anything before trying it. Many people who made it omitted the raisins because they felt that raisins and pumpkin didn't "mix". (I guess because there are no raisins in pumpkin pie.)
i was more concerned about the molasses. I was worried they would be overpowering. The other plain pumpkin pudding recipes I saw looked too bland to me, however. I just think real maple syrup and real rum should be preferable to extracts, but never having made this I have no idea how much of each I would have to use to impart flavor without ruining the pudding.

Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding

Ingredients

• 1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes
  • 1/2 cup raisins, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon maple-flavored extract
  • 1 teaspoon rum-flavored extract
  • 1/4 cup water, or as needed
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (such as Eagle Brand(R))
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions

1. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.

2. Spread bread cubes into the prepared baking dish.

3. Mix raisins, maple-flavored extract, and rum-flavored extract together in a bowl; pour in enough water to almost cover raisins. Heat raisin mixture in microwave until raisins are plump, about 1 1/2 minutes; set aside to cool slightly.

4. Beat milk, pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, raisin mixture, brown sugar, butter, molasses, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger together in a large bowl until smooth; pour over bread. Set mixture aside until bread has absorbed the liquid, about 1 hour.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

6. Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made this tonight because I felt like making something with buttermilk. It just seemed sort of country kitchen-ish. I have not tasted the cornbread because I didn't want to cheat and eat carbs. But it smells absolutely wonderful and I had a lot of fun baking.

One of the reviews for this bread by a southerner said it wasn't as dense as the bread she grew up on, but was now her favorite. Everyone claims it is very moist and it can be made less sweet (and more southern) simply by reducing the sugar. One baker spread her hot cornbread with butter as soon as it came out of the oven, so I did, too. Then I used a fork and poked holes in mine because the crust was so hard that the butter was just running off and I wanted the butter to seep into the bread.

Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate chip cookies with semisweet & dark chocolate; sea salt; and browned butter. Completely unhealthy for the body but good for the soul :saint::twisted:

I used the Jacques Torres/NY Times cookie recipe but adjusted it to include J. Kenji Lopez Alt's method (from the Serious Eats site) for using browned butter in baking. I find the browned butter adds a subtle hit of toffee/toasty flavor to the cookie.

FB_IMG_1509273578147.jpg FB_IMG_1509273542559.jpg FB_IMG_1509273550553.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look AMAZING, mochiko!

I made the pumpkin bars yesterday. Frosting is incredibly light. I actually did two sticks of butter, a package of cream cheese, 2 cups confectioners, vanilla, a pinch of salt. I let it whip up for a while, which made it fluffier/lighter.

I also discovered this recently, and tried it for the first time. It's real chocolate, unlike the plastic that counts for sprinkles here in the US. https://www.amazon.com/Deruyter-Chocoadehagel-Chocolate-Sprinkles-14-Ounce/dp/B001BBYC42/ref=pd_sim_325_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CBZRDRBRSFXRDE07CFZ0 pumpkin bars.jpg pumpkin bars 2.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42 those look FANTASTIC.. I have trouble making good cookies in my oven as it's GAS, and i like gas for cooktop I hate it for baking, nothing crisps or browns. I'm going to buy a new one soon and it's going to be a gas top and electric oven.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42 those look FANTASTIC.. I have trouble making good cookies in my oven as it's GAS, and i like gas for cooktop I hate it for baking, nothing crisps or browns. I'm going to buy a new one soon and it's going to be a gas top and electric oven.

Don't you go blaming what is clearly just a wonky oven, on the heat source. Heat is heat. Enough of it, and anything will brown, promise. I remember an apartment oven I had once. I put some home made bread in, and 20 minutes later it was almost burned, and totally raw in the center. A thermometer showed the over was actually heating to about 500. :shock: They gave me a new range. I guess they didn't want me burning down the complex.

It sounds like you need to have the oven calibrated (or get a new one as you say), it sounds like it's not heating properly. I have an all gas range with a convection oven (I don't use as often as I should, usually used non-convection), and everything browns beautifully.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, here is one of my fall favorites. I adore pecans (this Okie calls it a p-CAHN not PEE-can ;-) ) I currently have a double-recipe's worth of logs of this stuff in the fridge. I'm everyone's friend right about now. :) I don't usually do the chocolate dip, but I may change it up a bit this year and do some.

Pecan Shortbreads:

1 cup (100 grams) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped

2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

2/3 cup (145 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon (5 grams) pure vanilla extract

For Chocolate Dipped Pecan Shortbreads:

6 ounces (180 grams) semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

To Toast Pecans: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Bake the pecans for about 8-10 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Cool and then coarsely chop.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flour with the salt.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth (about 2-3 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour mixture, mixing only until incorporated. Stir in the chopped pecans.

Divide the dough in half and then roll each half between two sheets of parchment or wax paper until it is about 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick. (If your dough is soft, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until firm, before you roll it out.) As you roll, periodically check the top and bottom sheets of parchment and smooth out any wrinkles. Then place dough on a baking sheet (along with the parchment paper) and chill in the refrigerator until cold and very firm (about 45-60 minutes). (For faster chilling, place in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes).

Once chilled, remove from refrigerator and peel off the top piece of parchment paper. Using a 2 1/2 - 3 inch (5-7 cm) cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Put the baking sheet, with the cut out cookies, in the refrigerator while you preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Meanwhile, gather up any scraps of leftover dough and re-roll. (You may need to refrigerate the dough again before cutting out the cookies.)

Bake the cookies for approximately 13 - 15 minutes or until the shortbreads are a deep golden brown color. This ensures a crunchy and crumbly cookie. (Note: If you only bake the shortbread until they are light brown the shortbread will be softer in texture.) Remove cookies from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.

For Chocolate Dipped Pecan Shortbreads: Place 3 ounces (90 grams) of the finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place it over a saucepan of simmering water. Once the chocolate has melted, remove it from the heat. Add the remaining chocolate and stir with a woodenspoon until it has completely melted and is smooth and glossy. Taking one cookie at a time, dip one end of each cookie in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once all the cookies have been dipped in the chocolate, place the baking sheets in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.

The shortbreads can be stored at room temperature for about one week or else frozen.

Makes about 40 - 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) cookies.

Now, you can go through that whole rolling and chilling rigamarole, or you can do like a lazy person (like me) would do, and take the dough, portion the ball into thirds, roll into a log slightly less than 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap, chill or freeze. It’s SO fast and easy, takes up less space in your fridge or freezer (as if I have room to put a cookie sheet of anything in that dang thing, right??) and you have cookies whenever you need them. To bake, let the frozen ones come up to sliceable temp. Either way, from the fridge or the freezer, don’t let them get to room temp before cooking. Shove ‘em in that hot oven right after you slice them and put them on the pan. Doing it that way will keep them from spreading.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made the pumpkin bars yesterday.

I looked back at your original posting, LV, and I believe it says that you just used a regular recipe for pumpkin cake to make those bars? I mean, I think you posted a specific recipe for apple bars, but not for pumpkin bars. I just found a recipe for pumpkin pie cake, but I never make pumpkin cake. If you have a tried and true recipe for your bars, I would love to have it! They look great, especially dressed in the Dutch chocolate sprinkles!

PS-here is the one I found and was thinking I would try.

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 (29 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9 x 13 inch pan (preferably metal).
  2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture. Melt the butter or margarine, and drizzle it over the cake mix. Sprinkle walnuts over the top.
  4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until done.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've posted this before, as in years and years ago. So here it is again: the best chocolate pound cake ever. This is best made a day ahead, and keeps beautifully, although it never keeps, if you catch my drift. It also freezes beautifully and is amazingly fabulous frozen, straight from the freezer. I've always threatened to make my own ice cream sandwiches with it, but it never lasts long enough to get the ice cream in it. ;)2 The recipe is written down directly from the book, but my notes from many years of making this cake, are there too. Some of them may make it a bit faster for those who bake a lot, or those who might be intimidated by the seemingly fiddly nature of cakes.

Chocolate Pound Cake
from Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts by Alice Medrich

2 ¼ C sifted AP flour (9 oz)
12 T unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks)

¾ C dutch process cocoa
2 and 2/3 C sugar
½ tsp salt
2 eggs + 4 egg whites
3/8 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp baking powder
2 T instant espresso powder
2 tsp vanilla
¾ C buttermilk

12 C Bundt pan or tube pan, or 2 5-C loaf pans

Have all ingredients at room temp – eggs, butter, buttermilk

Sift flour directly into the measuring cups and level with a knife without jiggling or tapping down. Then sift THAT flour again, together with the other dry ingredients, set aside. **Or, if you're lazy (like me) or just not in the mood for a total sift-fest, since the weight of the flour is given, you can weigh the flour on a kitchen scale. But you'll still need to sift the flour and cocoa together at least.

Briefly whisk the 2 eggs and 4 whites together in a bowl. Set aside.

Dissolve the coffee in 3 tablespoons of hot water. Add this and the vanilla to the buttermilk. Set aside.

Cream the butter for about 1 minute at medium speed to soften. Gradually add the sugar and continue at med-high speed until all sugar is incorporated. Mixture will be crumbly – not smooth. With the mixer running at medium speed, gradually pour in all the eggs, scraping the sides down as needed. Then add 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix, then 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture, mix, etc.
**Don’t get picky about this one, the idea is just to alternate them so you don’t add too much dry or too much wet.) Mixture may appear curdled – this is OK.

Grease your pan with shortening and flour well. **Take this one seriously. Grease and flour WELL, NO cheating, and no sprays. Pour in the batter, smoothing the top as necessary. Bake at 350. (If your pan is dark-colored, decrease the temp by 25 degrees.) If using loaf pans, bake 45 – 50 minutes or until cake starts to shrink from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. The bundt pan cake will bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Do not over bake! Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto plate. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. This cake, sliced and separated by pieces of parchment paper, freezes beautifully. Serves 20 – 24

Calories per serving: 196

Fat: 7 g
% calories from fat: 31%
protein: 3.1 g
carbohydrates 32.4 g
cholesterol 33.4 mg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb - This is the recipe I used. https://www.iheartnaptime.net/pumpkin-bar/ It was my first time making them, so not tried and true by me, but when searching for a recipe, I did notice that all of the popular food blogs basically have the same Paula Deene recipe. These definitely could use some pumpkin pie spice in addition to the cinnamon. Also, I did not have the 10X15 pan, only 9X13, so I also made 6 cupcakes/muffins, and the bars were still really more like a cake than bars. But, I have to say, really good with that icing!

Your recipe looks great, though much different with the walnuts in the topping. Yum.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone has good low carb/keto recipes please share! I have a good alternative sugar and coconut & almond flours, share away!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do the Nestle TollHouse cookies from the grocer's refrigerated section count as "Fall Baking"? ;)2 I had a package in the frig and baked them up this weekend. Hey, Deb! :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the Nestle TollHouse cookies from the grocer's refrigerated section count as "Fall Baking"? ;)2 I had a package in the frig and baked them up this weekend. Hey, Deb!

Hey, back atcha, Holly! If I had eaten them they would have counted with me, that's for sure. I just said "hello" to you in another thread. I am trying to secure your participation in the holiday music thread this year!

Deb
:saint:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, even in SoCal it finally feels like fall!

On Sunday I baked my first ever pumpkin pie, using my mom's tried and true Eagle brand recipe - https://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/traditionalpumpkinpie-4117 - I used a pre-made deep-dish pie crust I had in the freezer (still have never made my own pastry dough). The pie turned out beautiful, nice and high, and it tastes great.

Happy Halloween everyone!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Hey, back atcha, Holly! If I had eaten them they would have counted with me, that's for sure. I just said "hello" to you in another thread. I am trying to secure your participation in the holiday music thread this year!

Deb
:saint:

Would I miss your Holiday Music thread? Me? Heaven forbid! :wink2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a hankering for an old family favorite--Midnight cake. Deep dark buttery chocolate cake. In addition, I plan on making some pastry--for a pumpkin pie and chunky Tourtiere.

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple pie right out of the oven just now. Mmmmm smells so good. And tarts for our guests to take home...

applepienov2017.jpg

appletartsnov2017.jpg

@Loves Vintage those apple crisps look divine OMG delicious.:lickout:
And all those desserts shared here look unbelievably amazing. Yes please.:lickout::lickout::lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results