shape
carat
color
clarity

20.20 ct tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mkkwilson

Rough_Rock
Im suppose to set a price for this stone we just got. Anyone have suggestions of a link for this large of tanzanite or a price per ct suggestion......
Thanks for any help

One elongated oval shape natural Tanzanite
Exact weight 20.20ct.
Medium dark to dark, strong violetish blue to bluish violet cut is excellent
AAA 20.20ct. Old Color Tanzanite-Oval
Quantity Available: 1
Approx. SIZE 20.6 x 14.2 x 7.9mm
Weight: 20.20cts
Shape: Oval
Brightness: Excellent
Clarity: VVS
Cut Proportions: Excellent Cut

tanzanite 20.20ct sm.JPG

mkkwilson

Rough_Rock
Id love to,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,
it is a beautiful stone.
Our jeweler may set it, but I think most likely Im going to sell the stone,,,,,,,

jszweda

Shiny_Rock
That is huge!

For that color of material, I know as of last month the going rate per carat was something like 2 grand per carat. I have heard rumor that prices were expected to go up to $2500 a carat sometime this month. Weahter or not that has happened, I can''t say for sure.

I have heard people say they have gotten considerably more than that for some tanzanite in that color. If you can get your hands on that one or one like it, more power to you.
9.gif

HTH

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Joe,

Where was that the going price? I know on ebay a 15ct stone that color auction ended at UNDER $5,000.

Regards,
Maurice

jszweda

Shiny_Rock
Get one appraised and find out. Seriously. If it''s already appraised, I say get an update on it. I have heard the smaller stones in that color 1 carat or under are appraising somewhere between $500-$1000 a carat. Sometime after that, the list prices are something rediculous.

Let me put it to you this way, I recall seeing an appraisal from about a year ago or so on a Tanzaite that size. This was before the price hikes from earlier this year. As of a year ago (give or take), for really clean dark blue material, that size stone appraised for well over 20K.

As for eBay, it''s possible something like that could happen. Sometimes people get screwed on there too, but sometimes you get a good deal pending on where it came from. I recall a guy with an eBay store selling a tanzanite, and he said the list price was something that was around 2K a carat. I forget the exact size, and he said "Buy it now!" for around half of that. Hell, you can find 2 supposedly comparable stones from 2 different places, one could very well be 5 grand like you said, and the next one is 10 grand or 2 grand. I am by no means disputing what you''ve seen, but I have heard of some significantly high prices for that material.

Actually, there is a local manufacturering jeweler in my vicinity. He had a block D, square or radiant cut at about 8 carats. It was gorgeous. Minus the accent diamonds he had in it and the setting (4-5 grand wholesale), the stone alone was around 8 grand. I asked, and when I figured he was doing that price model, he smiled and looked at me and asked if I was in the business. I said no, but I knew how it works. So as of 6 months ago, 1 grand per carat for clean block D material is a wholesale price.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/15/2006 11:39:46 PM
Author: jszweda
Get one appraised and find out. Seriously. If it''s already appraised, I say get an update on it. I have heard the smaller stones in that color 1 carat or under are appraising somewhere between $500-$1000 a carat. Sometime after that, the list prices are something rediculous.

Let me put it to you this way, I recall seeing an appraisal from about a year ago or so on a Tanzaite that size. This was before the price hikes from earlier this year. As of a year ago (give or take), for really clean dark blue material, that size stone appraised for well over 20K.

As for eBay, it''s possible something like that could happen. Sometimes people get screwed on there too, but sometimes you get a good deal pending on where it came from. I recall a guy with an eBay store selling a tanzanite, and he said the list price was something that was around 2K a carat. I forget the exact size, and he said ''Buy it now!'' for around half of that. Hell, you can find 2 supposedly comparable stones from 2 different places, one could very well be 5 grand like you said, and the next one is 10 grand or 2 grand. I am by no means disputing what you''ve seen, but I have heard of some significantly high prices for that material.

Actually, there is a local manufacturering jeweler in my vicinity. He had a block D, square or radiant cut at about 8 carats. It was gorgeous. Minus the accent diamonds he had in it and the setting (4-5 grand wholesale), the stone alone was around 8 grand. I asked, and when I figured he was doing that price model, he smiled and looked at me and asked if I was in the business. I said no, but I knew how it works. So as of 6 months ago, 1 grand per carat for clean block D material is a wholesale price.
Hi Joe,

Most appraisals I see are way to high. I take the wholesale price as the average sale I see on Ebay. Right now you can get the same type of stones in ebay stores for about $650-$875/ct. Auctions are ussually cheaper. Most average jewelers don''t carry much inventory of tanzanite and when needed call a stone supplier and call in a few stones for their customer to see. They add there markup to it and that''s it. If they had time they could get the stone for sugnificanly less but then they would have to lay out their own money and have less choices for their customers. If I were a jeweler I would not pay $1,000 and sit on a stone hoping someone would buy it, but $350-$400 is another story. I guess I am talking liquidation value and not wholesale here. But the ebay stores prices are no lower than wholesale.

Regards,
Maurice

jszweda

Shiny_Rock
Maurice,

This makes sense. If you figure on a 3x markup, and you use your figures from eBay, it''s within range I suppose. If a wholesale supplier sold a stone for let''s say $650 a carat. The jeweler would sell for somewhere between $1950 a carat. If it was $850 a carat wholesale, and a 2x markup, that''s $1700 a carat. Round it up for argument sake, it''s close. LOL.

There is one way to find out what is realistic. Do you have a price guide from Paragon or someone like that? I am curious as to what something like that says. I don''t have a subscription, so I go buy what I hear or see for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results