shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Radiants - Help...I''m getting the squeez

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mark27

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I need some help. I thought I had this figured out (or at least an idea). I've been looking around for quite awhile and need to pull the trigger on a nice radiant 1ct. Here is what I've got lined up to look at tomorrow:

Ratiant 1 GIA:
1.01 ct
F, VS2
5.42 x 6.22
Depth 70.5%
Table 72%
Sym - GD
Pol - EX
Girdle - Thn-Sl.Thk
Price - $4100

Ratiant 2 GIA:
1.01 ct
F, VS2
6.20 x 5.26 x 3.75
Depth 71.3%
Table 69%
Sym - GD
Pol - GD
Girdle - Thk to Very Thk
Price - $4200

Are these nice diamonds at a good price?

I also found a bunch of radiants out on the DiamondScope Pricescope with lower tables and depths. I've been told by the same guy that anything below 70% table/depth isn't good. Then he told me that, "after futher research," that it's good, but they are extremely hard to find and expensive. Then I did one quick search and found a bunch on Pricescope with lower table/depth percentages. I'm so confused now I'm not sure what a good deal is and what I should be paying for what. Please, can someone help point me in the right direction as I need to have this ready for this weekend. I'm getting the feeling like I'm about to make a bad decision. Thanks!

Ideal Radiant for me:
1ct, F, VVS1 - VS2, Ex pol/sym, more square than not, at or around $4000.

JM
errrr.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
According to the AGA cut charts for radiants http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt3.htm

These are both around a 3A U.S. domestic average. You could do better on the cut, but I will cost more. Of course some do not agree with these charts but they are at least a starting point to help you determine the what would likely result in a quality cut diamond.

They both are a bit deep and the tables are a bit large. Have you seen these yourself? If so, try to find a diamond with the lower table and depth and look at it to compare the difference for yourself. Something with smaller tables and depths may have a better light return, more sparkly.

Also, try to avoid anything with a very thin or very thick girdle. Not only are you paying for ct weight that you can not see, you may also be getting a diamond that is not as brilliant, and possibly (if very thin) more subject to chipping.

Clarity, there is no need to get VVS stone, or even a vs1 for that matter. Just make sure it is 100% eye clean. Sometimes SI1's are eyeclean. As long as it is eye clean, you will not notice the difference. In a VVS1 you will be paying for a quality that you can not see, when compared to say an eye clean vs2 or si1.

It will be very difficult to get ex pol/sym, and possibly not needed. Don't quote me, but I believe that anything good or above, the difference will be not noticable.

Do some research and then try to go look at various diamonds to conceptualize what you learn.

mark27

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much. Your suggestions are very much appreciated. I kept reading about lower table and depth percentages, but these clowns keep telling me that they aren't available or that they aren't good (red flag). I'm ok with a VS1-2. I just wanted to shoot a little high to see the difference.

Thanks again for responding!

Regards,
Mark

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Try Rhino at GoodoldGold. He has found some fabulous pears for me. I am sure in time he could find some stones for you. Also, I had him send me two to look at as well which helps make up your mind.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else, the cut isn't the best on both stones... If you do a bit of research on the internet, you'll find much finer makes!!! Also, try to avoid thick/very thick girdle like in the second one... You're paying for some hidden weight that you cannot see...

Giangi
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results