shape
carat
color
clarity

2 quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golden

Shiny_Rock
good morning! how is everyone today? it is freezing in NJ!!!!!!!

I am pretty new to this site and new to "knowing" about diamonds, I know I like them, that''s about it.

I wanted to know, what is the most important certificate to get when buying diamonds?

And lastly, Leon Mege, only has "by appointment" or can you go in an browse as you would a jewelry store?

thanx!
35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 11:40:46 AM
Author:golden
good morning! how is everyone today? it is freezing in NJ!!!!!!!

I am pretty new to this site and new to ''knowing'' about diamonds, I know I like them, that''s about it.

I wanted to know, what is the most important certificate to get when buying diamonds?

And lastly, Leon Mege, only has ''by appointment'' or can you go in an browse as you would a jewelry store?

thanx!
35.gif
good morning to you golden!
35.gif

there is no ''most important'' certificate to get when buying diamonds. what''s most important is that you get a diamond that you LOVE!
2.gif

i know, that''s not what you wanted to hear...but...well, it''s pretty much the truth. now, for the answer that you want to hear.... ags and gia are good labs to get grading reports from. ags tends to grade the more ''elite'' diamonds, while gia is kind of the ''industry standard'' either of them would be a good choice.

as for leon, i have no personal experience with him but i am almost certain that he only meets by appointment. he is a designer, not a jewelry store.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 11:48:12 AM
Author: belle
ags and gia are good labs to get grading reports from. ags tends to grade the more ''elite'' diamonds, while gia is kind of the ''industry standard'' either of them would be a good choice.
You''re kidding. And here I thought my GIA stone was pretty darn spiffy, now I find out it''s just, run of the mill?

Guess I didn''t get the memo.
38.gif

25.gif

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, Ellen...........your GIA looks pretty darn good......!!!!!!

I have a similar stone, and to be honest, I am really offended when people make statements that tend to degrade all GIA stones!!!!

That said, plenty of EGL stones are very beautiful....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 12:02:33 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/20/2007 11:48:12 AM
ags and gia are good labs to get grading reports from. ags tends to grade the more 'elite' diamonds, while gia is kind of the 'industry standard' either of them would be a good choice.
You're kidding. And here I thought my GIA stone was pretty darn spiffy, now I find out it's just, run of the mill?

Guess I didn't get the memo.
38.gif

25.gif
of course your stone is not run of the mill ellen! i said gia is the 'industry standard'... that is a good thing! that's why i said either would be a good choice.

besides, if yours is run of the mill, mine is too because mine is a gia 'very good'.
we know they're awesome.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer either AGS0 or GIA Excellent cut, and as Belle mentioned, there can be nice stones that fall AGS1 or GIA vg. For internet shopping, it is pretty much easier to stick to the top grades just to make it less stressful. I don't do EGL due to the fact that I'd feel I had to get an independent appraisal everytime I looked at a stone, and that is too much of a hassle for me. I do think most of the better stones are sent to GIA and AGS. My ring diamond is GIA Ex. and my diamond studs are AGS0 and they all have virtually the same meaurements.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 12:26:43 PM
of course your stone is not run of the mill ellen! i said gia is the ''industry standard''... that is a good thing! that''s why i said either would be a good choice.

besides, if yours is run of the mill, mine is too because mine is a gia ''very good''.
we know they''re awesome.
I knew what you meant, just razzing ya.
2.gif

However, I would word it like this, especially because I know how people could read your statement, and take it that really only AGS are the best. Even though you didn''t say that, you used "elite" which many may want, and think they aren''t possible with GIA.

AGS takes the guess work out of a stone. You get all the (exact) info you need, and they grade light performance.

GIA, unfortunately (and it IS) only rounds numbers, and does not grade light performance. Therefore, it''s takes a bit more knowledge and digging (Aset, IS, etc.) to find stunning stones, of which there are many.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 12:16:23 PM
Author: Carlotta
Yeah, Ellen...........your GIA looks pretty darn good......!!!!!!
Forgot to say, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results