shape
carat
color
clarity

2 or 3 months salary? Before or after tax? 401k?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2008 12:53:37 PM
Author:jchau
I had a ''discussion'' with my girlfriend last night who insisted the new rule is 3 months salary.
In fact it''s a conspiracy at the highest levels of the diamond industry. The dollar buys so much less diamond these days, that in order to maintain status quo the two-month rule had to be revised to three months plus all 401K matching.
11.gif

pmptrading

Rough_Rock
The 2-3 month rule was a MARKETING campaign from debeers...... that is like GE setting the rules for when to replace your washing maching!

Even the advertising agency would not believe people would ask 1) Before or after tax, 2) before or after 401K, 3) What if I buy on-line..... ie I don''t pay retail, 4) what if I buy used diamonds........

Really.......

Buy what you feel happy with..... don''t listen to anyone telling you otherwise.......

PS - it is not very ladylike to appear to be a "gold digger."

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Author:pmptrading
The 2-3 month rule was a MARKETING campaign from debeers...... that is like GE setting the rules for when to replace your washing maching!

PS - it is not very ladylike to appear to be a "gold digger."
jchau said that he knows it''s a marketing campaign. Right in the first line.

Date: 4/13/2008 12:53:37 PM
Disclaimer: I know the salary rule is a marketing promo created by DeBeers and should not be used as a guideline to set the price of an engagement ring. One should buy what one can afford.
He also explains that it was just a discussion about what the public opinion/perception is, not about what he should specifically spend on her.

Oh no! I dont mean she wants ME to spend 3 months salary and take out from my 401k. We were just having a discussion about what the current trend/norm is. I am not trying to make her sound like a gold digger! It was just a funny, friendly debate. Honestly, she doesn''t really care how much I spend. She just wants a ring, any ring to symbolize our marriage.
So calling her a gold digger when this has been explained is unfair.

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 12:34:28 AM
Author: pmptrading

PS - it is not very ladylike to appear to be a ''gold digger.''

I''m pretty sure jchau is a HE, and has been here researching an ering for his girlfriend, so is not in fact a golddigger.

He''s probably also not very concerned with being ladylike
3.gif

vslover

Shiny_Rock

Even the advertising agency would not believe people would ask 1) Before or after tax, 2) before or after 401K, 3) What if I buy on-line..... ie I don''t pay retail, 4) what if I buy used diamonds........

Really.......

Buy what you feel happy with..... don''t listen to anyone telling you otherwise.......

Every woman I know would say it''s not very gentlemanly to buy a ring from an ex-wife and pass it off as new to his new (3rd...sheesh) wife.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 9:33:38 AM
Author: vslover

Even the advertising agency would not believe people would ask 1) Before or after tax, 2) before or after 401K, 3) What if I buy on-line..... ie I don't pay retail, 4) what if I buy used diamonds........

Really.......

Buy what you feel happy with..... don't listen to anyone telling you otherwise.......

PS - it is not very ladylike to appear to be a 'gold digger.'

Every woman I know would say it's not very gentlemanly to buy a ring from an ex-wife and pass it off as new to his new (3rd...sheesh) wife.
vslover, may I just WORD! you? Thanks!

CAUTION: Threadjack ahead...
pmptrading, you might want to take a look at some internet etiquette sites to learn how to post on a forum without being offensive. You've been posting nearly obsessively since you showed up here less than a week ago and so far, I've found nearly every one of your posts or threads containing some offensive comment that seems to initmate that posters here on PS are idiots or chumps. And you've been asked several time to please STOP YELLING IN CAPS at people, it's rude. Please, take a break, maybe pop an Ambien, and learn how to post without YELLING and/or being so off putting. Cheers.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 12:30:18 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 4/15/2008 9:33:38 AM
Author: vslover

Really.......

Every woman I know would say it''s not very gentlemanly to buy a ring from an ex-wife and pass it off as new to his new (3rd...sheesh) wife.
vslover, may I just WORD! you? Thanks!

CAUTION: Threadjack ahead...
pmptrading, you might want to take a look at some internet etiquette sites to learn how to post on a forum without being offensive. You''ve been posting nearly obsessively since you showed up here less than a week ago and so far, I''ve found nearly every one of your posts or threads containing some offensive comment that seems to initmate that posters here on PS are idiots or chumps. And you''ve been asked several time to please STOP YELLING IN CAPS at people, it''s rude. Please, take a break, maybe pop an Ambien, and learn how to post without YELLING and/or being so off putting. Cheers.
WORD! (If I may word your word)

Sorry about the threadjacking, but I''ve restrained myself in other threads and can''t seem to do it anymore. My gut instinct is that this has to be fake because I simply can''t fathom a husband buying his ex-wife''s ring back for his current wife''s upgrade and not even telling her. It''s just too awful to be real. But if it is? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results