shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Morganites: Which one to pick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Some of you will probably think this is a no-brainer, but thought I''d post anyway. I received these 2 morganites today - they both have extremely subtle color, but one has more pink, and the other seems yellow??!! In some lights, it''s more pink, but my first impression was that it looked pale yellow. There are other issues besides color, though. The pink, a cushion (brilliant?) cut, is an SI3, and it really shows in the close-ups, but not too much IRL. The yellow is a barion cushion, and if it weren''t of dubious color, I''d take it in a heartbeat because it''s cut beautifully. They''re both a little over 8mm, and I''ve got lots of pics so you can see what I''m talking about. I think I know what I''m going to do, but I''d love to have your opinions anyway, so don''t be shy.

Here they are together: the included pink is on the left, yellow on the right.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Sorry. Here it is.

morganites1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to see the faceting now, but there''s more to come.

morganites2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here they are out, and you can see what I mean by subtle color - not much saturation. You can also see quite clearly the SI3 business.

morganites3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another one of the color difference. These pics have so far been fairly true to their real color.

morganites4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another where you can see inclusions. But they don''t always stand out this much.

morganites5.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Difference in faceting pattern: yellow barion cushion is on the bottom.

morganites6.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Yellow on the left. Those facets are amazing!

morganites7.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s pink in some natural light.

morganites8.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Pink with inclusions, but again, not as noticeable at an ordinary distance.

morganites9.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This is the yellow - it''s a VVS with wonderful facets.

morganites10.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Yellow.

morganites11.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful pictures. Enjoying your show. Colored stones are all about the color, but frankly neither one seems all that great to me. I guess I''m not much of a morganite fan. So, if I had to pick one, it would be the one with the awesome cut.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
In a WG setting, yellow is really blaaaaaah.

morganites12a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
However, in the most poorly lit room in the house, it glows.

ETA: is it bad when your 9 year-old son knows you've been to a gem show when he recognizes the OK hand-stamp?

morganites13.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So, I think my next step is to see how it looks in a rose gold setting, and how much that will punch up the color. Any ideas?

morganites14.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are really too light to make a definitive choice based on color alone. Therefore, I would pick the one with the nicer facet pattern, and that''s one of the nicest faceting jobs I''ve seen him do.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Fly Girl - I know what you mean, and I know a lot of people aren''t morganite fans because of their weak color. I actually don''t mind the subtlety, but I would like it to be at least faintly pink.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would pick neither because the colour is too pale. However, I sense that you are leaning towards the yellow one. There''s no doubt the cutting is very pretty but I am not attracted to the colour.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 11:35:41 PM
Author: cellentani
So, I think my next step is to see how it looks in a rose gold setting, and how much that will punch up the color. Any ideas?
I vote for this one...love the faceting.. just wondering if it will blend in with rose gold instead of stand out... dunno though, me personally I just end up picking what i like and wrap em'' up
9.gif
not the best thing to do ehh.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:39:58 PM
Thanks Fly Girl - I know what you mean, and I know a lot of people aren''t morganite fans because of their weak color. I actually don''t mind the subtlety, but I would like it to be at least faintly pink.
Actually, I''ve come to appreciate the beryl flash. I see similar white flashes of light from aquas, golden beryl, and morganite. So, in that sense, I''d ignore the color and go for the flash.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:46:25 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 5/15/2009 11:39:58 PM
Actually, I''ve come to appreciate the beryl flash. I see similar white flashes of light from aquas, golden beryl, and morganite. So, in that sense, I''d ignore the color and go for the flash.
BTW, I was at a Richard Homer round table tonight, and one lady picked out a morganite. Definitely a pale pink stone, but it still didn''t do much for me.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:42:03 PM
Author: Chrono
Personally, I would pick neither because the colour is too pale. However, I sense that you are leaning towards the yellow one. There''s no doubt the cutting is very pretty but I am not attracted to the colour.
Yeah, I figured most people would walk away from both, and I definitely agree with you about the color. I guess I''m just curious to see if a setting can improve this yellow guy. I really want to like it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:36:32 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Both are really too light to make a definitive choice based on color alone. Therefore, I would pick the one with the nicer facet pattern, and that''s one of the nicest faceting jobs I''ve seen him do.
He told me it was the first time he''d cut one like this - took 2 days. Even my DH was impressed. Hey, it''s like I''ve got a first edition, right?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This morning I''m thinking that the yellow stone shouldn''t be classified as a morganite, but just as a yellow beryl. Even though morganite is a beryl too, it''s traditionally a pink, lavender, or peach. Nothing wrong with yellow beryl, though, and I''m beginning to think that I should go with the yellow and not try to make it pink. I put it on a new penny, and it still looked yellow, so I''m not too optimistic that putting it in a rose gold setting will magically make it pink.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be honest and say if you''re choosing one for colour then I''d pass on both as they''re too pale. If you want a pale gemstone with wonderful cutting then it has to be the yellow one. I love the faceting on that one. I''d put it in yellow gold also and emphasis the yellow of the stone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on what color you want. Personally the included stone is just too included for me. If I had to pick one it would be the yellow. Maybe bezel set it to make the color darker?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would also pass on both. But if they are inexpensive, I would keep the yellow one. Not a fan of the pink one at all.

By the way, who cut the yellow stone? I actually love it
30.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going with consensus here. they're both really too light. the yellow is way nicer looking as far as cutting than the pink. But hey, if they were cheap then is keeping both out of the question? (its what I do not that I should but well...you know...
21.gif
)

-A

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your comments everyone - I really appreciate all the opinions! I took yellow to the Intergem show today and popped it in a setting that had an 18k yellow gold cup inside the basket. It was an unbelievable difference and darkened the stone a lot (in a very good way). Being impulsive, I probably would have set it right then and there, but it cost 4-digits. I guess I was unrealistically hoping for LOGR prices...
39.gif

I''m going to think about the stones for at least another day, so keep coming with any more feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results