shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Diamonds to Choose From.. Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fx22xibay

Rough_Rock
Hello There,
Any help with these two diamonds would be greatly appreciated. Jeweler has told me that both are ideal cut. I have seen the GIA reports and both diamonds look beautiful. The GIA reports are similar; however, some of the measurements are slightly different. Before purchasing either of these stones, I''m looking to Pricescope to help me out. Are these prices in line? Or am I paying MORE for LESS?

Can someone help me out on Ideal Cut Diamonds? What is the "ideal" measurements?

1st Diamond: Jeweler is offering to sell for $13,500.
Measuremnts: 6.90 - 6.96 x 4.31mm
1.25 Carat
Color F
Clarity VVS 1
Cut Excellent
Polish and symmetry Excellent
Flourescence None
Table 56%
Depth 62.2%
Medium Faceted
2nd Diamond: Jeweler is selling for $13,000.
Measurements: 6.93 - 6.97 x 4.19mm
1.22 Carat
Color F
Clarity VVS1
Depth 60.3%
Table 58%
Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish and Symm: Excellent
Flourescence: None

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it would be an easier task if you have crown and pavilion angles, or GIA report numbers.

If they are otherwise equally beautiful to you, I would go for the second as it is larger and cheaper.

Price seems to be comparable to online options.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
GIA grading for cut is based on a range of different combinations of Table, Depth, Crown Angle, Pavilion angle, polish, and symmetry, so two diamonds having different numbers can both be ideal. i noticed the second one has no cut grade, just fyi in case you either missed it or it''s an older certificate from before January. cheers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you think VVS1 is safe, or good, or a religious / mind purity issue?
SI1 - VS2 might get you into a 1.5ct and you will never know the difference

get the report #''s and the ct wt and enter them here and then use the cut adviser with the crown and pav angles with the cut adviser (links at the bottom of this page)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 2:09:56 AM
Author:fx22xibay

Hello There,
Any help with these two diamonds would be greatly appreciated. Jeweler has told me that both are ideal cut. I have seen the GIA reports and both diamonds look beautiful. The GIA reports are similar; however, some of the measurements are slightly different. Before purchasing either of these stones, I'm looking to Pricescope to help me out. Are these prices in line? Or am I paying MORE for LESS?

Can someone help me out on Ideal Cut Diamonds? What is the 'ideal' measurements?

1st Diamond: Jeweler is offering to sell for $13,500.
Measuremnts: 6.90 - 6.96 x 4.31mm
1.25 Carat
Color F
Clarity VVS 1
Cut Excellent
Polish and symmetry Excellent
Flourescence None
Table 56%
Depth 62.2%
Medium Faceted

2nd Diamond: Jeweler is selling for $13,000.
Measurements: 6.93 - 6.97 x 4.19mm
1.22 Carat
Color F
Clarity VVS1
Depth 60.3%
Table 58%
Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish and Symm: Excellent
Flourescence: None

Welcome to PS
35.gif

'Ideal Cut' measurements can vary tremendously, be watchful of labels used by some vendors such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc, these are no guarantee you are getting anywhere near the best cut diamond, each one needs to be taken on a case by case basis. Also as DBM says, you need to assess a combination of measurements to be able to reasonably predict how a diamond will handle light and perform. Also do as Garry says and use the tools he provided to be able to choose the best diamond you can, but as Julie points out, you could choose which is the most beautiful to you, having seen the rocks. Also it depends too whether you want a well cut diamond which can fall into a broad range of recommended proportions and has a good performance, or a Superideal which is cut and crafted to very tight specifications. Both beautiful in their own ways, although it is likely the Superideal would outshine the other depending, but it is also a case of how far you wish to go with cut and which will give you the beauty you seek.

fx22xibay

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for all the advice. I used the Holloway Cut Adviser and the second diamond with a 1.22 carat weight had a Total Visual Performance of 0.8 - Excellent within TIC range. GIA #14642218

The other diamond with a 1.25 carat weight, GIA #14990045 had only a total visual performance of 4.4 Good, Only if price is your main criterion.

To the naked eye, both diamonds are beautiful. If I''m reading the Cut Adviser Correctly, numbers and measurements prove that the 1.22 diamond has a better cut. Am I right? Can someone help me out. Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would go with the 1.22

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results