shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct. Pear Diamond Engagement - Please price for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HermanMunster

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of purchasing the following diamond would really appreciate it if yall gave me some appraisals on what you would expect to pay:
Pear
2.03ct
F color
No Floresence
Cut excellent
Good Symm
Very Goo Polish
VS2
63.8% depth
63% table
Girdle thin to thick
10.44 x 7.02x 4.48
OR

Pear
2.02 ct
G color
Fluor None
cut excell
symm very good
polish very good
clarity vs1
63.8 depth
54 table
girdle medium to thick.
11.07x7.07x4.51

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Can't really tell you how much those stones would cost, Im not an appraiser....But i can tell you that you cannot buy a pear or any other fancy by #s alone...You would need to get and ASET and idealscope....I did find this just to give you something around that range.

What are the prices of the diamonds?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Herman!

Mrs W gave good advice!! I wanted to ask though, do these diamonds have a grading report such as GIA, and are they with an online vendor or store jeweller? That will make a difference with the price, jewellery stores typically having higher prices than online. You can get an idea of prices using the search tool Pricescope your Diamond at the top of the page, the prices given are for online inventory, add a bit for store prices to get a rough comparison.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Unlike round brilliant diamonds which are all the same round shape when well-cut - each pear diamond is unique in shape.
Hence, I prefer only to buy and sell pear diamonds by viewing them in person.
One client I recall wanted me to decide for her as she lived in Ireland. In the end, she flew in London to choose in person from a selection of loose diamonds and I am so glad that she did as she picked the shortest/fattest pear from the selection - I would have picked a different one if I had been choosing for myself.

Here are three 3.02 carat pear diamonds for example - each is a different shape - some people like them longer, some people like them shorter...

3 pears small pic.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can''t really tell you how much those stones would cost, Im not an appraiser....But i can tell you that you cannot buy a pear or any other fancy by #s alone...You would need to get and ASET and idealscope

True, you should not buy a diamond by "numbers", but the numbers can make iy far easier to shop for the safest choices and most likely nearly the best of the ones you are able to locate. Numbers will help you stay away from less potentially durable stones, stones with too much depth and not enough visual size, and diamonds which cannot hope to make the "best range of cut" with any of the more visual tools, such as the ASET or IS. Diamonds, because of their inherent characteristics as nearly pure elemental carbon, do allow for a great deal of accuracy in determining which ones will work the best by the "numbers".

Beauty, on the other hand, is not a number game, except for engineers. You JUDGE beauty and there is no scale for it. Just like people have differing views about who and who is not pretty, we all have the same problem or gift for judging a beautiful diamond. The end selection MUST have a visual component. Shopping first to eliminate problem stones is totally appropriate.

HermanMunster

Rough_Rock
I was just hoping for a rough estimate of what one would pay for stones with those parameters, can you tell me which stone is better?
They are both from cartier and they want 40k for each including setting. Is that a total ripoff?

HermanMunster

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link I like that website. The diamond you showed me looks just as good as the one I was going to buy if not better. Only thing is the girdle on the James Allen diamond said medium to exteremely thick, isnt that bad?

Also does anyone know of a really nice place to get custom settings.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2008 12:24:24 AM
Author: HermanMunster
Thanks for the link I like that website. The diamond you showed me looks just as good as the one I was going to buy if not better. Only thing is the girdle on the James Allen diamond said medium to exteremely thick, isnt that bad?

Also does anyone know of a really nice place to get custom settings.
It is a variance but harder to call in fancy shapes, ideally you would want a closer range but ask about the ex thick part, it may only be a tiny portion of the stone. The diamond posted looks to have a prominent bow tie, but ask about that in case it is the pic, but definitely check, some show more than others.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Herman, there will be a huge difference in price between a Cartier diamond and setting and one that you can get online. You need to decide for yourself and your significant other what is important. Some people will gladly pay the extra $$ for the brand name. Obviously, you can get a much bigger diamond or save a lot of money if you purchase online, or even in a B&M store that is not as expensive as Cartier, Tiffany, etc. Cartier has gorgous things but personally, I would rather go with a trusted online seller with a great upgrade policy (not sure if Cartier has a trade in policy?) and get a bigger diamond
31.gif
Also, vendors like Whiteflash and Gold Old Gold will be able to send you detailed info and pictures, which are so important when looking at pears. They need to be judged individually because they can look very different due to the many different shapes.

With your budget you can get a fabulous ring. Check out the links Mrs W posted for settings, especially the first (he's my favorite). My opinion is that you won't find more gorgous settngs anywhere!

HermanMunster

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the insight. Still unsure what to do. I know I am overpaying for a branded diamond (tiffany, cartier) but I wanted to get a handle on how much that was going to cost me. The stones I mentioned would you say they normally go for around 25K in which case after factoring in the setting for 5k I am paying 10k for the name brand. Am I over or under estimating the setting and diamond cost?

The link to the similar diamond was for 20K and had a D color but also had a bad girdle and the cut may not be as good - is it fair to say my two diamonds would be around 25K?

Thanks.

HermanMunster

Rough_Rock
I decided on a ring, finally.

My experience:

I live in NYC and went to all of the majors:

Tiffanys - beautiful store, crowded with tourists during the holidays, but the sales people seem to know who is a real buyer (and I was dressed pretty casually jeans, sweatshirt but they always came right over) and are attentive. The time they can spend with you though is limited since they have so many people coming in and even though I was looking at 50K rings never offered me a seat. I also went to a non manhattan location and it was much better. One thing I don''t like is that they don''t have a GIA cert but instead use a tiffanys cert (which I would trust maybe even more so - but they can''t really show it to you until you purchase it, which makes no sense) I wanted to see a map with any feathers etc. And the pavillion points.

Van Cleef - They were nice, I think tourists are afraid to go in - but they didn''t even carry the Pear shape I wanted in 2ct. Guess its not their thing. But they were nice about it.

DeBeers - I didn''t like this store at all, I think Debeers should stick to wholesale. Prices are high, layout is kind of Mall brand Zales-ish.. They were supposed to do a search for me since they didn''t have a Pear in the specifications I wanted. They had smaller ones and then a really expensive one that I didn''t want. They should''ve called me back, but then again they are mobbed like Tiffanys during the holidays.

Cartier - I think someone else said this, weird sales experience in the manhattan store. They didn''t have the stone I wanted but then proceeded to show me other stones which I guess was nice but then there were so many interruptions by people coming in. They seem to jump around.

Finally I went to - Graff of London - I made the purchase the same day a few hours later (which is rare for me). I heard about them but never stopped by I later learned for Fancy shapes and colored stones and really huge stones are their specialty. Maybe I rushed a bit but it had an old school feel that I liked - it was like Van Cleef or Harry Winston in the layout, not too many display cases more desks for sitting down and looking at stones carefully. Even the salesperson was kind of right out of central casting - his name was french or south african with a name and accent to match - Vanderwoodson (not real name) you get the idea. I hope I didn''t get taken by the environment becaues I got a shallower table then I wouldve liked but the stone itself looked better than the one from Tiffanys I guess in the end thats what matters.

Lev Liev - didn''t go in, heard this is the new kid on the block probably shouldve taken a look - I know it was busy saw alot of people inside.

I am a native new yorker and have a very colorful extended family - so I had access to many in the diamond district that could''ve gotten me much better pricing, but in the end thats what made me realize that even though I paid about 17% more than wholesale - I got convenience, peace of mind and hopefully future service if necessary. The added price would not have really gotten me to a 3 Ct. and any improvements in ring quality would''ve not been noticeable to anyone and simply numbers on a paper - at least paying more for a store is something to experience. My parents of course are upset that I didn''t go with "a guy they know".

By the way all of these places including Tiffanys you can negotiate with, big time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations on your purchase! If you bought a pear that '' spoke'' to you then you chose the right one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results