shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct European Cut in a 3.6 ctw Custom 3-Stone Ring

MissyB

Rough_Rock
Hi. I'm a first time poster. For the past few months I've been doing a lot of reading, browsing, researching and learning on the PS site. I'm so excited to finally be able to share my new, three stone wedding ring upgrade on PS. I'll begin with a little back story...

My original engagement and wedding rings were custom made by Joe Escobar Diamonds in 1999. My original wedding set included an MRB EGL .62 ct F SI1 center stone set in 14k two-tone gold setting with four princess cut accent stones channel set, two on either side. (The wedding ring coordinated with six channel set princess cut stones.) With my 40th birthday approaching, I was really hoping to upgrade my original wedding set to my dream three stone wedding ring. I knew I wanted a larger center stone and I wanted to use my original .62 ct MRB wedding stone as a side stone, so a couple of months ago, I started researching three stone ring settings and diamond prices online. Fortunately for me, at around this same time, my mother decided to give me an early xmas present... A 1.96 ct (8.0 - 8.03 mm) estimated J VS2 European Cut family heirloom stone. The stone belonged to my maternal grandmother and her aunt before her. According to my mother, the stone was given to my great, great aunt by her husband sometime between 1920 and 1930. With this stone, not only was my plan for my three stone ring fast-tracked because I had the larger center stone that I'd hoped for, but I also found myself researching the history behind the older cuts and perusing PS for the endless pictures of these special stones. I was fascinated not only with history of these stones, but with the reports of their chunkier facets and flashes of fire. I had always loved the past/present/future symbolism of the three stone rings and I was even more excited with the idea of having this heirloom old cut stone as the centerpiece of my new three stone ring.

Once I found my inspiration setting (a pave gallery three stone on Blue Nile), off I went with my pictures and my two stones in hand to ask Joe Escobar to make my dream a reality. Of course, Joe Escobar did not disappoint. They accepted my project with enthusiasm, sourced a coordinating side stone to match my .62 ct MRB - a GIA .60 ct G SI1 MRB - and sorted through other smaller stones I had also inherited from my grandmother that I wanted to use in my pave gallery. Using a some of their stones (7) and more of mine (28), JE made me the most gorgeous and special three stone I could have ever dreamed of having as my very own. I love this ring in so many ways - for it's history, sentimentality, symbolism, and beauty - but most of all because it is a beautiful blend of old and new. I'm obsessed with the European Cut stone that I'm lucky enough to carry with me for the rest of my life and one day pass down to my own daughter. I didn't know what to expect from my EC stone when it was first given to me, but I can say now that it has most pleasantly surprised me with both its brilliance and fire. This stone is so brilliantly white and fiery at the same time. If it's not gleaming white, it's reflecting back to me all the colors around it and it's constantly throwing fire in all the colors of the rainbow. It really is a gorgeous stone.

The ring is a size 4.5, in 18k white gold with palladium, a split prong setting for the center stone only, with a pave gallery, and three accent stones on both sides.

Thanks to anyone who will read my story. With an apology in advance for my unprofessional photography, I would like to share my first few photos with you now...

_35591.jpg

_35592.jpg

_35593.jpg

_35594.jpg

MissyB

Rough_Rock
Here are some indoor pics.

img_5788.png

img_5789.png

img_5793.png

img_5794.png

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a gorgeous treasure you have there :love: i love the profile of your ring, really beautiful! I love the sentimentality of your center stone too. Enjoy your upgrade it's stunning!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring. I like your story too. :wavey:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's really beautiful and how special are the family diamonds. You have a real treasure there and it looks fabulous on your hand!! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Lovely ring and great finger coverage too!! So awesome that you incorporated so many different meaningful stones into your ring. Congratulations! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! Would love to see more pictures of the profile view!

All of the things that the ring represents are so special - what a beautiful and unique ring! Enjoy!

LateBloomer28

Rough_Rock
So beautiful!!! :love: :love: :love: How special that you created a ring that includes your own engagement stone and a family stone! I love the pave in the gallery and band and it looks gorgeous on you! Many congrats!

Beaglemom

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! Enjoy it. :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the story of the way this ring came together. It is simply exquisite and just perfect on your hand!!!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful!

MissyB

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. It's a good feeling. I have to say that it is especially fun to hear from the PSers whose rings and stones I've been admiring and whose commentary I've been reading (especially regarding three stone rings and older cut stones) for the past few months. A couple of you asked for more profile pics. I'll get some more up in the next day or so. Thank you, again. :))

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I only lurk these days but needed to say how gorgeous your 3-stone ring is. I love everything about it and it looks simply beautiful on you. I'm a 3-stone girl at heart and must say I melted when I saw yours. Enjoy your new ring! :love: :cheeky: :love:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
That's some three-stone!! Wow.

I love that you were able to use your original stone too. Congrats on the beautiful ring!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous 3 stone. :love: So elegant! Looking forward to more pics. :appl:

MissyB

Rough_Rock
Thank you again, everyone. I'm so happy to share my ring with you all - especially with other three stone and old cut lovers. I'm goi g to try to upload a few more pics, including profiles, via my phone. I hope this works..

_828.png

_829.png

_830.png

_1093.jpeg

MissyB

Rough_Rock
More...

_1094.jpeg

_1095.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That's amazing and quite the upgrade!!! Congrats on your beautiful new ring!!! :appl:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a rock! Nice!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, interesting story!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my favorite rings ever and the story just tops it all off. Congratulations on a stunner! :drool:

MissyB

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I hope you all don't mind indulging me in a couple more pics. I'll stop after this, I promise. I love the colors in these. :bigsmile:

img_5907.png

img_5908.png

img_5869.png

img_5868.png

MissyB

Rough_Rock
After seeing my pics on the "big screen", I can definitely see that the girdle on my EC/OEC is showing it's age, so to speak. Could anyone tell me if it's possible and/or even safe to ask my jeweler to polish it up? I know my grandmother kept it in a bezel pendant for a long time and when I received it, it was even a bit loose. I'm guessing that could have roughed up the girdle a bit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is how girdles on most old cut stones look. It is called a bruted girdle as opposed to modern stones which usually have faceted girdles. Unless there are chips, I wouldn't touch it. For one thing, I wouldn't want to remove the stone from the setting because I'd worry that it would never be as secure as it is now (I am sure they would put it back right, but I think of worst case scenarios!). Some stones have chips, though, and in that case I'd do what I call girdle rehab and have the girdle fixed which might involve faceting it while removing the tiny chips. Diamonds are generally sent out to a diamond polisher and not done at the jeweler. If you search for bruted girdle on google, you'll see some images.

Your ring is just gorgeous! :love: How wonderful to have the heirloom diamond for your center stone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the profile of this ring - so elegant and beautiful!

There is no such thing as too many pictures - love seeing a gorgeous ring like this!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beauty!!! Gorgeous gorgeous piece of art!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!!! Lovely story! Congratulations :appl:

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring. Absolutely stunning!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! The profile is perfection :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results