shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Ct. Diamond studs - please help!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are lovely, and great size on your earlobe.

Don’t do it. I had 1.85 total weight for years. 6.4mm. I upgraded to 1.25 each after losing one of my studs. I would only upgrade for a visible difference.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
These are absolutely beautiful. The sparkle is amazing on them. I wouldn’t upgrade unless I could see a visual difference which You won’t be able to tell by going up to 2ctw. You will need to go up to 1.25 per ear to see a substantial difference imo. DDS will sink in really quickly. I had this size and when I went to upgrade my 1.80 the 1.25 per ear still wasn’t enough of a visual difference. I went to 1.7 each ear to really see sizeable upgrade. If I could have done it all over I would have gotten 2.5 tcw from start and been done with upgrades.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the cost difference is substantial, HOWEVER, you are already waited 30 years for these and the peace of mind you would get from KNOWING they are 1ct each may very well be worth the 2k if it is going to bother you every day you look at them knowing they aren't *exactly* what you wanted.

That said, I can see the difference between .2mm (less than than an I cannot), so if your 6.28 would only amount to 6.4mm to get the 1ct mark, then no, you could not see it, 6.5mm, yes there would be a difference.

The pair you have look lovely and substantial!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it crazy to send them back for another .20 pt carat weight? I did tell Yekutiel I was concerned they were slightly under what I had wanted... he swears I could not tell difference between these and those at 1.0 and the cost difference is substantial.

Beautiful studs and they look great on your ears! Personally, I don’t think the cost difference is worth it and it would be very difficult to detect the size difference. But if it’s a “mind clean“ thing for you to be at the 2ctw size, it might be worth it for you. Diamonds a and b below are my studs (b is my original e-ring diamond). HTH

Left to right:
a) .92ct earring= 6.21 x 6.23
b) 1.01ct earring (steep/deep) = 6.28 x 6.32
c) .96ct Daimond = 6.37 x 6.33
d) 1.01ct Diamond = 6.43 x 6.40

1593373804865.jpeg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful studs and they look great on your ears! Personally, I don’t think the cost difference is worth it and it would be very difficult to detect the size difference. But if it’s a “mind clean“ thing for you to be at the 2ctw size, it might be worth it for you. Diamonds a and b below are my studs (b is my original e-ring diamond). HTH

Left to right:

1593373804865.jpeg

This was extremely helpful. Thank you for posting this! So I cannot tell a size difference among any of these - and I if I think I do it is so tiny that’s it’s nothing. The biggest one is the last and to my eye it looks soooo close to the first one on the left. Wow.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
This was extremely helpful. Thank you for posting this! So I cannot tell a size difference among any of these - and I if I think I do it is so tiny that’s it’s nothing. The biggest one is the last and to my eye it looks soooo close to the first one on the left. Wow.

- also I would “say” these are all about a carat. I would! So why am I obsessing??
AND I love your E ring!! I am upgrading that next year ....

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
- also I would “say” these are all about a carat. I would! So why am I obsessing??
AND I love your E ring!! I am upgrading that next year ....

Thanks! And that‘s exactly what I say :D (though I’ve only been asked a couple times). It’s really comes down to what you are at peace with. Glad I was able to help.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Could you drop down to lower specs and go bigger than 1 ct?

Yes ... I could. I guess that would be the alternative. Buying completely online and in me to “try” before I buy I made a guess on size and told IDJ price scope quality and he delivered! No doubt.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
They are lovely, and great size on your earlobe.

Don’t do it. I had 1.85 total weight for years. 6.4mm. I upgraded to 1.25 each after losing one of my studs. I would only upgrade for a visible difference.
[/QUOTE

thank you. I have no complaints about the studs ... they are stunning. I really think it’s just mental.

Your earrings are lovely and very proportional to your ear. I would echo other posters here and say that don’t upgrade until you can increase the size substantially on the ear, at least a jump of 0.3-0.4ct each in my opinion, because when I was buying studs that was about the point I could see a visible difference, and that too only when comparing them to each other. I am basically blind as a bat, tbh - I can’t see color until J at the absolute earliest, and a lot of SI1 is eyeclean to me. Benefit of having not-great eyesight even at a young age. But you might not be as blind as me :D

If it’s about the mind-clean aspect, and it’s worth the 2k to you, go for it. Or if you can find I/SI1 stones that make you as happy as these do, go for it. But I doubt that you will see a visible difference.

Perhaps it would be worth considering if you can or want to get (small, delicate) halo jackets made for your earrings? It’ll give you the chance to “dress up” your stud and get amazing coverage when you want, and maybe help the mind clean aspect of “I’m wearing 1ct+ on each ear”. It should be cheaper as well, and can always be repurposed in the future - either you can get them remade a bit bigger when you get new studs or you can get colored stone studs that fit in the jackets and get a few more pairs of earrings out of it!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Your earrings are lovely and very proportional to your ear. I would echo other posters here and say that don’t upgrade until you can increase the size substantially on the ear, at least a jump of 0.3-0.4ct each in my opinion, because when I was buying studs that was about the point I could see a visible difference, and that too only when comparing them to each other. I am basically blind as a bat, tbh - I can’t see color until J at the absolute earliest, and a lot of SI1 is eyeclean to me. Benefit of having not-great eyesight even at a young age. But you might not be as blind as me :D

If it’s about the mind-clean aspect, and it’s worth the 2k to you, go for it. Or if you can find I/SI1 stones that make you as happy as these do, go for it. But I doubt that you will see a visible difference.

Perhaps it would be worth considering if you can or want to get (small, delicate) halo jackets made for your earrings? It’ll give you the chance to “dress up” your stud and get amazing coverage when you want, and maybe help the mind clean aspect of “I’m wearing 1ct+ on each ear”. It should be cheaper as well, and can always be repurposed in the future - either you can get them remade a bit bigger when you get new studs or you can get colored stone studs that fit in the jackets and get a few more pairs of earrings out of it!

Thank you. I was told you need at least 20% increase in carat weight to “see” the diameter difference. I think you are right I would need to go to .40 or so increase not .10. I also have realized my piercing seems to be a little low on the lobe, or perhaps it’s that’s way after all these years! Anyway I do like I can see a little perimeter of my ear around the stud. BD3DF0FC-914B-4813-9044-EC452297982D.jpeg

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
Is it crazy to send them back for another .20 pt carat weight? I did tell Yekutiel I was concerned they were slightly under what I had wanted... he swears I could not tell difference between these and those at 1.0 and the cost difference is substantial.

Those are beautiful! I think they are the perfect size - any bigger and I think they would look funny on your earlobe. I would definitely stick with the ones you have.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Those are beautiful! I think they are the perfect size - any bigger and I think they would look funny on your earlobe. I would definitely stick with the ones you have.

Thank you. So helpful to get some feedback before I got crazy spending more money to get a tad bigger diameter. The studs I bought are brilliant - my only concern was size.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Diamond database - this compares my .90 specs to an ideal cut 1.00. The pink is the 1.0 and the grey is the .90. 2F0A6AF6-1ABC-4D7B-9228-D310BF456ABD.png

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
I love the ones you have so sparkly. I don’t know if it’s worth spending $2000 more over a barely discernible difference in size.
I am confused though - these sparkle beautifully yet aren’t AGS000?
Maybe the experts can explain what is the difference in the two grading systems - AGS000 and GIA triple Ex.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ones you have so sparkly. I don’t know if it’s worth spending $2000 more over a barely discernible difference in size.
I am confused though - these sparkle beautifully yet aren’t AGS000?
Maybe the experts can explain what is the difference in the two grading systems - AGS000 and GIA triple Ex.

AGS000 and GIA XXX are two different grading companies. AGS has stricter tolerances than GIA. Many diamonds are sparkly even if they aren't AGS000 and GIA XXX, however generally the ideal cut stones are most sparkly!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! And that‘s exactly what I say :D (though I’ve only been asked a couple times). It’s really comes down to what you are at peace with. Glad I was able to help.

Kaycee2018,

I am in love with your E ring. Can I ask the specs? This is my next project -and love the size and way yours looks! Thanks!

headlight

Ideal_Rock

Left to right:

1593373804865.jpeg

@Kaycee2018 this is fabulous - thank you!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kaycee2018,

I am in love with your E ring. Can I ask the specs? This is my next project -and love the size and way yours looks! Thanks!

Thank you @Rockredo ! The diamond is a 2.73ct G, VS2, GIA ExExEx (PS vetted) and the setting is a white gold 1.8mm knife edge (so it appears thinner), size 5.75. The thin band is the 1/2ctw Riviera eternity band from Blue Nile and the 7 stone band is custom from ID Jewelry. Diamond specs are in the link below. She is a recent upgrade, so I am still pretty obsessed with her =)2. Good luck with the ring project!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Rockredo ! The diamond is a 2.73ct G, VS2, GIA ExExEx (PS vetted) and the setting is a white gold 1.8mm knife edge (so it appears thinner), size 5.75. The thin band is the 1/2ctw Riviera eternity band from Blue Nile and the 7 stone band is custom from ID Jewelry. Diamond specs are in the link below. She is a recent upgrade, so I am still pretty obsessed with her =)2. Good luck with the ring project!

Absolutely stunning!!!! Wow. Thank you for sharing all the deets! I am hoping for your ring #2! Did you have that set in 6 prong as well? Does it sit well with your bands? I am hoping for about 2 ct. Solitaire - another reason I was trying to stay conservative with the new studs... the ring project is next! Good luck with your remodel. We did that 2 years ago. I enjoyed the entire process and picking what I loved! Thank you again for weighing in on my studs and your picks and advice. I kept going back to that photo when I was having second thoughts.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look gorgeous! :kiss2: I would not upgrade these just yet. and maybe you'd be ok with jackets for additional size? (just putting that out there!!) If your piercings are low, going bigger could pose an issue (I say this as mine are also pierced low) Jackets off I see a small sliver of lobe. I kinda like that tbh. Jackets on and its total blingtown... probably too much for everyday (but hey these days I'm not going anywhere so....I wear them...lol)

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning!!!! Wow. Thank you for sharing all the deets! I am hoping for your ring #2! Did you have that set in 6 prong as well? Does it sit well with your bands? I am hoping for about 2 ct. Solitaire - another reason I was trying to stay conservative with the new studs... the ring project is next! Good luck with your remodel. We did that 2 years ago. I enjoyed the entire process and picking what I loved! Thank you again for weighing in on my studs and your picks and advice. I kept going back to that photo when I was having second thoughts.

My 1.85ct was set in basically the same setting, so yes, 6 prong. Below is a comp pic of the 1.85ct (7.87mm) vs. the 2.73ct (9mm). 1.85-2ct is a really beautiful size. We actually pressed pause on the full expansion and renovation project due to COVID (scaled it down to just the outdoor room part of the project). Hopefully things get back to *normal* sooner rather than later so we can move forward. But in the meantime, I have been keeping myself busy with some small bling projects :halo:

UpgradeComp.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
My 1.85ct was set in basically the same setting, so yes, 6 prong. Below is a comp pic of the 1.85ct (7.87mm) vs. the 2.73ct (9mm). 1.85-2ct is a really beautiful size. We actually pressed pause on the full expansion and renovation project due to COVID (scaled it down to just the outdoor room part of the project). Hopefully things get back to *normal* sooner rather than later so we can move forward. But in the meantime, I have been keeping myself busy with some small bling projects :halo:

UpgradeComp.jpg

Wow... they are both just beautiful. Of course the new one steals the show. I have 1.25 stone now so 2ct. range is where I hope to be next! BTW Yekutiel from IDJ called today to see how I was felling about the studs. He said the EXACT same thing as most of the reply’s to this post. He said I would need to go to at least 1.25 carat each stone to visibly see any size mm difference. He also echoed this was really just a mental issue for me. I feel so much more content with the stud purchase and am now talking with him about my E ring upgrade! Lol:) moving on!! Thanks again!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
They look gorgeous! :kiss2: I would not upgrade these just yet. and maybe you'd be ok with jackets for additional size? (just putting that out there!!) If your piercings are low, going bigger could pose an issue (I say this as mine are also pierced low) Jackets off I see a small sliver of lobe. I kinda like that tbh. Jackets on and its total blingtown... probably too much for everyday (but hey these days I'm not going anywhere so....I wear them...lol)

Thank you! And I agree.. never realized I have low set piercing or small lobes??? lol. I also like the sliver of my lobe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results