shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Ct. Diamond studs - please help!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
You are all SO knowledgeable and amazing. I need help. My husband is gifting me diamond studs. I have wanted these for like 30 years people. I have a budget of $7500-$8000 and I have spent DAYS on Blue Nile and James Allen. My expectations are triple EX, about .90 each, G/H color and VS2/SI1.....my issue is I would totally go SI if they are truly eye clean. I don't want to pay for VS2 if I don't really need to. I feel like I am going in circles. I was checking ID Jewelry and they have preset ones but they are listed at Si1.

Also - guardian backs or screw backs? I want martini settings. 3 prong or 4? I honestly just want someone to find me the best bang for my buck and I am driving myself crazy trying to do this!

Thanks for any help. He keeps asking if I ordered them and I am stuck.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are all SO knowledgeable and amazing. I need help. My husband is gifting me diamond studs. I have wanted these for like 30 years people. I have a budget of $7500-$8000 and I have spent DAYS on Blue Nile and James Allen. My expectations are triple EX, about .90 each, G/H color and VS2/SI1.....my issue is I would totally go SI if they are truly eye clean. I don't want to pay for VS2 if I don't really need to. I feel like I am going in circles. I was checking ID Jewelry and they have preset ones but they are listed at Si1.

Also - guardian backs or screw backs? I want martini settings. 3 prong or 4? I honestly just want someone to find me the best bang for my buck and I am driving myself crazy trying to do this!

Thanks for any help. He keeps asking if I ordered them and I am stuck.

For studs I would go with eye clean SI1. No one inspects earrings close up, so generally eye clean (e.g at a normal viewing distance), means you are maximizing your budget. I like IDJ so I would call them and ask if yeukitiel can pick out "ps quality " stones within budget

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
For studs I would go with eye clean SI1. No one inspects earrings close up, so generally eye clean (e.g at a normal viewing distance), means you are maximizing your budget. I like IDJ so I would call them and ask if yeukitiel can pick out "ps quality " stones within budget

Thank you! So you stick with G or H with the SI1? If I call IDJ and say this ...he will know? I have never bought anything from IDJ. Also I would prefer researching and waiting to get the best stones for the prices....custom seems the way to go?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! So you stick with G or H with the SI1? If I call IDJ and say this ...he will know? I have never bought anything from IDJ. Also I would prefer researching and waiting to get the best stones for the prices....custom seems the way to go?

I would, yes. For me, given the size of each stone, H would be sufficiently white. IDJ is pretty much the best vendor to find the best/biggest stones within a budget. Imho, of course

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
J is my sweet spot for studs. I have purchased several pair from BN and they face up super white. I actually had 1.81 tcw J VS1 or VS2 that i paid under 6k from BN. I upgraded these to larger pair. You have a very healthy budget. If your not color sensitive I would go with lower color and maximize size. I also would go with 3 prong Martini with guardian backs-they are super secure.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
J is my sweet spot for studs. I have purchased several pair from BN and they face up super white. I actually had 1.81 tcw J VS1 or VS2 that i paid under 6k from BN. I upgraded these to larger pair. You have a very healthy budget. If your not color sensitive I would go with lower color and maximize size. I also would go with 3 prong Martini with guardian backs-they are super secure.

Thanks for this! What size are you wearing now? I had a pair 1.72 that were OK quality but I sold them years ago. The size was nice but I am color sensitive and I prefer not so see yellow...although not enough to pay for anything better than an H.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I would, yes. For me, given the size of each stone, H would be sufficiently white. IDJ is pretty much the best vendor to find the best/biggest stones within a budget. Imho, of course

I will call IDJ...hopefully that's my answer. I am literally stressing over this and getting it right!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for this! What size are you wearing now? I had a pair 1.72 that were OK quality but I sold them years ago. The size was nice but I am color sensitive and I prefer not so see yellow...although not enough to pay for anything better than an H.

I have 3.4 ctw and 1.08 ctw J VS1 both ideal cut and both pair face up totally white. All you see is sparkle no yellow at all. Also make sure that upgrade policy is one that you can live with because DSS is real.

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming studs, so exciting!!

I would recommend going with guardian backs (other names are La Pousette and Protektor). Screw backs actually are more likely to unscrew over time, and can irritate your ear when you take them on/off. I do wonder though - given the spring in the guardian backs, it it safe for 24/7 wear if you shower with them on? Not sure if the springs are also made of precious metals...

While martini settings are beautiful and allow the diamond to sit more closely to the ear, it can also stretch out our piercing as an FYI. An alternative to a martini setting is a basket setting.

Lastly, color is a personal preference. It ultimately depends on how color sensitive you are. An ideal cut will help the stone face up whiter (and hide inclusions). Color and clarity are also more apparent the larger the stone.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I have 3.4 ctw and 1.08 ctw J VS1 both ideal cut and both pair face up totally white. All you see is sparkle no yellow at all. Also make sure that upgrade policy is one that you can live with because DSS is real.
Congrats on your upcoming studs, so exciting!!

I would recommend going with guardian backs (other names are La Pousette and Protektor). Screw backs actually are more likely to unscrew over time, and can irritate your ear when you take them on/off. I do wonder though - given the spring in the guardian backs, it it safe for 24/7 wear if you shower with them on? Not sure if the springs are also made of precious metals...

While martini settings are beautiful and allow the diamond to sit more closely to the ear, it can also stretch out our piercing as an FYI. An alternative to a martini setting is a basket setting.

Lastly, color is a personal preference. It ultimately depends on how color sensitive you are. An ideal cut will help the stone face up whiter (and hide inclusions). Color and clarity are also more apparent the larger the stone.

Platinum or white gold???

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! VS1 sounds super clean! Is it worth it to go VS2? if I can find eye clean VS1?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! VS1 sounds super clean! Is it worth it to go VS2? if I can find eye clean VS1?

I personally don’t get SI1 stones because I couldnt find pairs on BN where both were eye clean. I started stud journey BN with 1 ctw and that was my comfort level to ensure they were eye clean. We know how stressful shopping for perfect studs can be.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I personally don’t get SI1 stones because I couldnt find pairs on BN where both were eye clean. I started stud journey BN with 1 ctw and that was my comfort level to ensure they were eye clean. We know how stressful shopping for perfect studs can be.

RIght?? I realize this is not something to be stressed or complain about as it is a nice problem to have! However, I am encountering the same thing. I am on BN and JA and scanning 100's of diamonds at SI to assure I wont see carbon spots. There is a pair now thats H VS excellent 1.80 for about 8K. I was considering but I am hearing that I should check with IDJ instead.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
RIght?? I realize this is not something to be stressed or complain about as it is a nice problem to have! However, I am encountering the same thing. I am on BN and JA and scanning 100's of diamonds at SI to assure I wont see carbon spots. There is a pair now thats H VS excellent 1.80 for about 8K. I was considering but I am hearing that I should check with IDJ instead.

It’s so stressful because your trying to get best bang for your buck. I literally spent weeks searching for my ideal pair for this last upgrade. I kept checking and relooking and finally just made the purchase. If you go with Bluenile stay at VS as this will ensure no eyeclean issues. I personally like BN and have had wonderful experiences with them. One thing I learned is to go as big as possible with them because you need to spend double to upgrade. I wore the 1 ctw for 6 months then upgraded to 1.81 for about 1 year and then still felt they weren’t large enough. I should have upgraded from the 1 ctw to 2.5 ctw as I would have needed less for upgrades in the end. So this last upgrade I went full out to 3.4 to be done with it. I have discovered forum members seem to prefer Whiteflash or IDJ. One thing with BN iis you can return hassle free within 30 days if you don’t like.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I tried IDJ .. I am actually considering upgrading my studs I am totally okay up to I-J si as long as eye clean

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will just add that if you are color sensitive, I would not go lower than H. I tried a pair of I color WF ACAs. I could see the color, and they were smaller than I wanted. So if possible, make sure you have a return policy on those babies, just in case, KWIM? And I echo the eye-clean SI1 should be fine. On your ears, no one will notice, not even you. This is from a VS-mental person.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I tried IDJ .. I am actually considering upgrading my studs I am totally okay up to I-J si as long as eye clean

J is my sweet spot for studs as well. It allows for more bang for your buck. I stay at VS because I don’t have patience for SI

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock

So I called IDJ and he’s working with me to stay around .90 per stone and H SI1 and price scope specs! I am psyched. I am thinking platinum martini.... I like them low set.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
So I called IDJ and he’s working with me to stay around .90 per stone and H SI1 and price scope specs! I am psyched. I am thinking platinum martini.... I like them low set.

This sounds perfect - I think these earrings are going to be gorgeous! If I upgrade studs one day I hope to work with IDJ.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current studs came from IDJ. I'm very happy with them (they are 3ex I, SI .61 and .62)

I also love my backs (LaPousette) never had issues with them in the 4 years I've had them.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are SI1 I color. But I'm the type that sacrifices clarity first as long as my daughter and I can't see the inclusions. And rounds tend to hide inclusions pretty well.

Your earrings are going to be fabulous!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I will just add that if you are color sensitive, I would not go lower than H. I tried a pair of I color WF ACAs. I could see the color, and they were smaller than I wanted. So if possible, make sure you have a return policy on those babies, just in case, KWIM? And I echo the eye-clean SI1 should be fine. On your ears, no one will notice, not even you. This is from a VS-mental person.

This was helpful advice. I am color sensitive for sure. I prefer the icy white and that looks best with my skin tone. I went with H VS2 .90 each ideal and triple EX. I have a return policy and can upgrade... so I feel very comfortable with IDJ! I probably could have gone I color but I was too nervous and really my goal was 2ct total weight so I am just under that!

Reactions: AV_

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Good news - IDJ delivered ... and fast! HVS 2 triple XXX and absolutely perfect specs. I almost wonder if they are too good for earrings. They are .91 each. Sparkle like crazy and face up very white. Low set in white gold 3 prong martini settings.

I have 30 days. I also can upgrade later if so desired.

now for the other news...and this just me being crazy. I really wanted 2ct total weight.These are 1.82 and truthfully it’s the diameter we see not the weight. I know this! Mine are 6.28 mm and I think well cut 1 carat would be 6.4/6.5 mm. This is such a slight mm difference - would I even see it? IDJ says I won’t see it... and for the same quality I would have to pay another $2k. Or do I go down on the color and clarity like I and SI 1 and get the 1 ct each weight? Or am I just OCD?! And keep the beautiful studs I have???

A481AE0B-AF59-4D6A-A668-5768B33AB11B.jpeg i

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@Rockredo Congrats!! More pics and ear shots please! Are you happy with the size? If so, just enjoy them! If not, then may be worth going bigger. Depending on your color sensitivity, I might be OK. The SI would need to be eye clean. I (personally) would just pay the extra $2K and stay with the same specs.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
@Rockredo Congrats!! More pics and ear shots please! Are you happy with the size? If so, just enjoy them! If not, then may be worth going bigger. Depending on your color sensitivity, I might be OK. The SI would need to be eye clean. I (personally) would just pay the extra $2K and stay with the same specs.

Thanks for the feedback. I really don’t want to have made the purchase and am already thinking about the upgrade??? I like the H color. Here’s a selfie - not the best!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
@Rockredo The look gorgeous on you and look to be the perfect size (IMO). Ultimately, how do you feel about the size?
[/QUOTE
@Rockredo The look gorgeous on you and look to be the perfect size (IMO). Ultimately, how do you feel about the size?

Thank you! I actually think they are close to being as big as I would go for daily wear. I realize that this is probably very very psychological because if they were each 1.05 ct would I even be stressing? Probably not. Yet would that size difference even be noticeable?

I wish I was in a store and could see a smidge bigger next to them to compare. However I bought online and decided these were great due to specs and being just under what I had wanted.... ahhh

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Is it crazy to send them back for another .20 pt carat weight? I did tell Yekutiel I was concerned they were slightly under what I had wanted... he swears I could not tell difference between these and those at 1.0 and the cost difference is substantial.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results