shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct cushion vs 3 ct cushion video - which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.11 wins for me on sparkleometry!

Would love a 3ct for the size but if it doesn''t perform as well .......... I''d have to go for the 2.11.

Do GOG not have a 3ct with the same dancing fire as the 2.11?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I can't watch the video bc of computer issues....but I'm going to say that if the 3 ct stone is a pretty stone (appeals to your eyes, no really annoying visual issues..can't see this dead spot you speak of bc I can't see the stones), there really isn't a contest. Optics blah blah blah...who really cares...I'm over it, personally .....as long as it's a PRETTY stone and fairly well cut for a good price (and I'm sure GOG is giving you two well cut options)...I don't see the point in going smaller...wear the smaller stone a few times without cleaning it...like you do when you've had it a few years, and those perfect optics won't really matter so much imo.....Don't get me wrong- I have a modern cushion that I LOVE, but looking back I should have just bought a cool looking bigger stone for the money.....I understand that it feels good to get a well cut stone, but let's face it...who really cares in the real world as long as you're not sporting a M color Fish Eye, Monkey Spit stone LOL..

BUT, please keep in mind that I haven't seen them...I really don't like crushed ice stones so if the 3 ct had that look, I'd pass and keep looking for a different stone entirely if you wanted a bit bigger than the 2 ct and could afford it. No need to settle.

EDITED ONCE AGAIN!....I just saw the two stones on the site...I feel the same way about both of them....I'd go with the bigger one...

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Moremoremore, I am so honored to have received a response from you. I followed your search from the beginning many years ago right when I first got engaged. I prayed at the cushion alter of Moremoremore & Reena for months!

Since I consider you a veteran cushion bling owner, your advice is like gospel to me. But if Reena chimes in (does she still post?), and if she''s got a different opinion than yours, I''d be split down the middle.

I never received an e-ring years ago because we couldn''t afford it, much to the dismay of my (then future) MIL. So, to avoid embarrassment in her social circle, she gifted me "engagement earrings". Almost 4 cts total. One diamond was from her first marriage, the 2nd diamond was from her second. Now that she''s separated, I can''t wait for her to remarry!
emotion-5.gif
Anyway, the diamonds are okay but fall in the I/J category, good cut. i wear them but to me, I don''t consider them quality and feel rather non-chalant about their value because they lack sparkle & brightness. The only thing people notice is size. With this in mind I was swaying towards the smaller diamond because of the optics. But if you didn''t put the 2 diamonds beside each other one would never had though that the optics on the 3 ct were lacking (not that they are really).

This is such a tough decision. In some ways I''m secretly hoping that someone else will buy one of the diamonds before I decide so that I don''t have to make that decision. That is why I took the risk to post them without putting them on hold. I believe in fate....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL... and omg, you flatter me waaayy to much! Reena is long gone btw
41.gif
and seriously, don't listen to me LOL...I really don't know what I"m talking about...
10.gif

Can I ask why you feel you HAVE to buy one of these? It doesn't really sound like you're in love with either to tell you the truth...but maybe I'm wrong...I know how hard it is..you have a set budget (like we all do) and want to get the most for your money and we can't have it all, so you have to figure out what qualities you insist upon and are most important to you....

I certainly didn'twant it to sound like I"m not into well cut stones with good optics and would always go for the biiger stone or that I was convincing you to not care about optics!......when I had my budget, I couldn't have this 4 ct modern cushion D color, VS LOL....so I had to kind of figure out what was most important to me at the time...I certainly was much more obsessed about numbers and names back then...(I do want to add that now that I live in NC instead of NY....I probably wouldn't go bigger in any event bc sometimes I feel stupid with my ring since it's very different down here).....

and you have what look to be two nice stones in front of you at a good price with a great vendor..maybe one is better than the other technically...maybe not......I'm going to try to watch the video again....I'm kinda saying that for me, a perfect perfect stone with superior optics isn't all that important to me (but then again, I"m not shopping for a stne and looking for drop 20+gs LOL)....a very good cut and a VERY pretty stone is important to me....so if there is nothing really bothering me about either stone, and they are nicely cut....If I was in NY, I'd go bigger...

BTW, I'm not sure what GOG's trade in policy is...I wonder if it's 100%? If it is, well, that might make things easier since you're not married to it forever....I guess that's not really the best way to pick a diamond, but at least you would know that if the one you picked bothered you a year down the road, you could swap it out.....

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
i like the bigger one. dont think you are giving up that much in optics or quality to not have a 3ct stone. Dont sweat this decision so much.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Don't sweat it? You kidding?
41.gif
It's only a 20 thousand dollar decision...

OK...I just looked at the video...can't tell you how much I enjoy Jon's videos!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....I honestly would be having a touch time too.......in theory I would take the chunky facets of #1 over #2...in the video, can't tell much different between the two....if you're making me pick haha...I pick #2...

Did you see these in person?

You should clarify with Jon, it says the 3 gets the lifetime policy if I read it right...100% trade it....could have read too fast..makes it easier for me then...

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: My final decision Howie...no deal....LOL...have Jon bring in a few more stones...I don't know if GOG goes into the city and picks them by looking at them, or if they kinda look at a database and bring some in...if it's the database, I'd get my own butt online at Bluenile (I only go there to look, but to buy) and see if you can find a few that meet your requirements (color, look at the facet pattern, actual size) and take a gamble bringing them in..
But again, I'm an idiot LOL and have very limited knowledge here :) If either of these two are bought, is it the end of the world for you? (only you can answer that)...

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
both have lifetime trade in policies. if I go smaller I can always upgrade when Jon gets a 3 ct in but I can''t keep the setting. If i go larger I can trade it in when he gets another 3 ct with the same optics of the smaller diamond. I may be able to keep the setting because the size may be similiar. i know that a setting shouldn''t be the deciding factor but....

I''M SOOOOOO CONFUUUUUUSED! aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hey- see my edited reply!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind words mmm. Miss ya here in NY. Didn't realize you moved down to NC. Yea ... both have some of the most stunning optics we find in cushions so I'm proud to back either with lifetime policies.

Just my .02c but if the setting is going to play a major part then get the 3ct and once I have more of these cut in 3ct sizes I can send you one ... if you like it more switch it out and if not send it back. We're easy.
1.gif

Peace,

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the 2. More lively to me.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 3:38:20 PM
Author: moremoremore
LOL... and omg, you flatter me waaayy to much! Reena is long gone btw
41.gif
and seriously, don''t listen to me LOL...I really don''t know what I''m talking about...
10.gif

Can I ask why you feel you HAVE to buy one of these? It doesn''t really sound like you''re in love with either to tell you the truth...but maybe I''m wrong...I know how hard it is..you have a set budget (like we all do) and want to get the most for your money and we can''t have it all, so you have to figure out what qualities you insist upon and are most important to you....I don''t have to buy one of these, I just trust Jon and they have a great upgrade policy. I''m seeing some local stones next week just to say I did my due diligence but I don''t think that the broker will offer the same type of research & information that GOG supplies. Because of the upgrade policy, I could go with either stone.

I certainly didn''twant it to sound like I''m not into well cut stones with good optics and would always go for the biiger stone or that I was convincing you to not care about optics!......when I had my budget, I couldn''t have this 4 ct modern cushion D color, VS LOL....so I had to kind of figure out what was most important to me at the time...I certainly was much more obsessed about numbers and names back then...(I do want to add that now that I live in NC instead of NY....I probably wouldn''t go bigger in any event bc sometimes I feel stupid with my ring since it''s very different down here).....I remember your ring I think...a 3 stone cushion. Your center stone & Reena''s were roommates in Mark''s vault, right? I could be wrong as I didn''t do a search on PS. That''s some major bling....I agree that it may not blend in in some neighbourhoods but it is still gorgeous. I don''t wear my 4ct earrings outside of LA because it''s just too flashy. They are a dime a dozen here so it''s not so bad.

and you have what look to be two nice stones in front of you at a good price with a great vendor..maybe one is better than the other technically...maybe not......I''m going to try to watch the video again....I''m kinda saying that for me, a perfect perfect stone with superior optics isn''t all that important to me (but then again, I''m not shopping for a stne and looking for drop 20+gs LOL)....a very good cut and a VERY pretty stone is important to me....so if there is nothing really bothering me about either stone, and they are nicely cut....If I was in NY, I''d go bigger...
In addition to not knowing which stone to choose, I''m also suffering from "economy bailout angst". I started another thread about whether the economy is affecting diamond purchases. Somehow we didn''t blink when spending on home renovations in a sinking housing market but am sweating bullets on buying diamond that seems to get pricier every week. Oh, I need my own Oprah show....:)

BTW, I''m not sure what GOG''s trade in policy is...I wonder if it''s 100%? If it is, well, that might make things easier since you''re not married to it forever....I guess that''s not really the best way to pick a diamond, but at least you would know that if the one you picked bothered you a year down the road, you could swap it out.....

glitterazzi

Shiny_Rock
Ooohhh! both are GORGEOUS!

Personally I instantly wanted the 3ct... I did see the "dead" spot mentioned, but in the everyday lighting it will be seen in I think the size difference is well worth it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2 ct had more sparkle....but the 3 ct is BIGGER...hmmm...both really pretty...I think for me SIZE wins! Get the 3. I would have regrets later for not getting the size.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 2 is a dreamboat. Jon showed me bigger stones, but I kept returning to it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The larger one seems to have this cloudy looking ring effect around the table. I don''t like the look. The lil chunky one on the other hand is fabulous!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
You cannot have the 3.02. It is mine! in my dreams.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
The chunky cushion gets my vote!
4.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love size ... but the 3 ct one looked more roundish to me ... I think it might not have a true cushion look once set. For that reason I tend to prefer the 2ct. Tough choice though.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 2...I liked it a lot better because I could see the chunkiness it it versus the crushed ice in the 3 (plus that "dead" spot that others mentioned).

I stare at my lil ol'' 1 carat all the time...all the facets, so make sure you love em all!
1.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
They''re both absolutely gorgeous. I would go for the 3 carat. I see the dead spot but it''s still a stunning stone and I''m a size girl...bigga is betta!!!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I didn''t think anyone remembered this thread...I think I started it in Sept. To update you all, I called GOG today to put both stones on my cc today so that they could be sent out to me for a visual but didn''t quite have enough room for both on my mastercard. I''ve paid it off but will have to wait until Tuesday to charge the 2 cushions. I really need to see both in person to make a decision.

The 3 ct has 2 other videos on Jon''s site if anyone is interested in watching. It was these videos that prompted me to seriously think about buying it. The dead spot doesn''t bother me as much since the hand is always moving but the crushed ice ring around the table does as does the warmth. I''ve watched the video a million times and noticed that the finger with the 3 ct doesn''t always move as much as the 2 ct so it may seem to sparkle less. In the last 5 secs of the video she moves her entire hand (not just the fingers) and the sparkle factor is almost identical. The HD version allows me to rewind it so I''ve scrutinized it to death (the one on the GOG site doesn''t allow for rewind I think). BTW my ring size is 5-5.25. I don''t want to do a halo setting anymore so I don''t know if the 2 ct will fulfill my needs size wise. Glad I don''t feel the same way about my husband....:)

Here are the other 2 videos for all of us cushion lovers..

3 x 3ct cushions (it''s the first one) http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/CUSHION302317321.wmv
this one shows the entire ring http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/CUSH302ISI2.wmv

Thanks again for everyone''s opinions. It''s still a very hard choice to make...

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I am so in love with that 2 carat GOG stone it''s not funny.

It is my dream diamond (sigh).

I would chose the 2 carat "smaller" (it''s huge in my book) stone over the 3 carat anyday.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Cachette
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that stone too.
18.gif

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I think I want to vomit. I just charged both stones on my mastercard. I''ll post pictures of the 2 later this week.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 11:58:14 PM
Author: jerichosmom
I think I want to vomit. I just charged both stones on my mastercard. I''ll post pictures of the 2 later this week.

Now, do you really think that you won''t get the money on one (or both) back when you return it?
2.gif
I''m teasing you cause I get that way also.

I ADORE the 2 ct. ADORE. Plus, plus, plus it''s got strong blue flourescence.

What is the latest?

Sonoma

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:08:06 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/27/2008 10:56:01 AM
Author: JoeNewbie11
Go for the 3 carat. These were both great stones. They were both similarly white in diffuse lighting. In spot lighting, the 2 carat did perform better; however, you will rarely view the stone in spot lighting. If they''re both eye-clean, you''re paying the premium for the VS1 clarity.

Bottom line. If you go with the 2 carat you''ll be happy, but months later you''ll be saying, darn I wish I had the 3 carat! Size, size, size.

Good luck.
Really, rarely? I would have to politely disagree. Resturants, bars, and grocery stores are just a few with similar lighting. Any place with multiple lighting sources will show off a diamond to one of its greatest potentials.
30.gif
And I have found many!
I have to agree with Ellen. The 2 carat is amazing; the 3 carat seems a bit off, and that would bother me. As for spot lighting, I''m off to my favorite sandwich shop for lunch now. Is it my favorite because of their great salads, or because my diamonds do the happy dance in their spot lighting? Mostly the latter, I think!
36.gif

Looking forward to seeing more pictures, and hearing about what they look like in person!
3.gif

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
They''re coming tomorrow! TOMORROW! TOMORROW!

Is it tomorrow yet?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
It''s Tomorrow. :)

Do tell.

I think Jon''s new type of chunky cushion is the greatest thing.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Now it''s past tomorow.

I know, a bet you''ve been staring at that 2 ct. since you opened your FedEx. Can''t blame you.
31.gif

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
okay, I''m back. And the 2 cushions are on their way back to Jon unfortunately. I didn''t love either one. Reasons:

2 ct - beautiful but was a lot smaller than I thought. I couldn''t replicate the the same fire as in the video (not to say that it''s not there)

3 ct - didn''t notice the light leakage until I stared at it for 1/2 day. My husband noticed right away. Didn''t love it.

The main reason why I sent them back? i hate to sound spoiled but they were too small and someone told me today "the sparkle/look was too clinical". I was so used to seeing them so large on my computer screen that my expectations were so far beyond reality.

I''m still looking but will tweak my specs to include antique stones as well as I find their sparkle very inviting. A good friend of mine has the most magnificent OEC I''ve ever seen. I''ve seen 2 stones that are very nice but may be a bit warm....EricaGrace''s 3.64 antique cushion M, and a 3.55 OEC in K. Unfortunately, there is a 10K difference in price. My jeweler showed me a 3.24 modern cushion which is stunning but the look is very RB. It''s huge and is priced very well and once I''ve "for sure" passed on it, I''ll advertise it here as I know that someone out there would love it.

The 2 ct will be back in GOG''s hands next week so someone grab it soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results