shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Carats Under 8K: Doable or Bad Idea?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you go for a tinted stone, you really have to "go for it". I appreciate @Niel and others raising that there are two directions we could recommend less color or more, I was focused on less and failed to offer another approach. I apologize and hope you know all our joking really was in good fun. So, I'm glad you found a stone she loves. I agree with others that a brown tint is more attractive on these lower colors than yellow. I like @Matthews1127 ideas of adding contrast to make this more of a champagne or mocha diamond in a white stone halo, rather than an almost matching.

Just saw the "no refund" update and that I would share @whitewave wariness, but seem to have missed the heart of the solution here, so maybe I'm also off on this.

@rockysalamander
Thank you for the compliment; I don't think my taste is the "every day gal's". I do, however, genuinely love that combination. I have not seen any LeVian match that magnitude of contrast, but I know it will be knocking dead gorgeous...even with G-H colored pave' or melee set in the halo. The warmth of that ring with the soft rose gold will make her melt like butter...and hers will be one of a kind!! ;)2
My wish list contains a combination very similar for a RHR, some day. :mrgreen2:
@HDer I believe that this is the diamond...I truly do! Even if, after you receive it, you're not too impressed, give her the benefit of the doubt. Take her shopping for a new home & look at her in a setting or 10, if you have to, before you decide she's a bust! I am certain you will be impressed with how she looks in the right setting!!! Good luck to you! I can't wait to see her!!!! :mrgreen2:

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I just upgraded my L. I couldn't handle the tint it showed 20% of the time. The vast majority of the time, I saw nothing. In rose gold I think it would have been complimentary rather than jarring. I don't have any pics of when it showed tint I didn't like sorry. Different stone though so it may not have been helpful anyway.
IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG

Last edited:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just upgraded my L. I couldn't handle the tint it showed 20% of the time. The vast majority of the time, I saw nothing. In rose gold I think it would have been complimentary rather than jarring. I don't have any pics of when it showed tint I didn't like sorry. Different stone though so it may not have been helpful anyway.
_3579.jpeg
_1270.jpeg

Yeah it's pictures like yours that make me question when people talk about how L and M stones are going to be noticeably colored and I'm staring at the image thinking "color? What color?"

But it's good to hear from an actual owner. So there's a component that when you do see the color it reminds you that there's something "better" out there. Hopefully with the light brown color as well it'll be more to her taste when she does see it. And I think brown stones in general are more "color on" all the time right?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah it's pictures like yours that make me question when people talk about how L and M stones are going to be noticeably colored and I'm staring at the image thinking "color? What color?"

But it's good to hear from an actual owner. So there's a component that when you do see the color it reminds you that there's something "better" out there. Hopefully with the light brown color as well it'll be more to her taste when she does see it. And I think brown stones in general are more "color on" all the time right?

That is to be determined after you see the stone... this is where cut comes back into play...lol!
I believe that if you really want the stone to show dark, as much as possible, at every angle, and in every lighting environment, you need to make sure that the halo surrounding the Center stone is between D-F color grade range.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, did you make a decision? Or should we keep peppering you with opinions :eek2:

Yes I asked IDJ to order the 2.07 L for me, but they still need to confirm with the company in India so won't know until tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping back into this thread and I see you've made a great choice. I love light browns, so hopefully you'll end somewhere really positive for you and your FF. Well done!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:blackeye:Since there are no refunds on the stone, why not just ask yekutiel to make the setting for you while he has the stone, and surprise her (and you) with the finished ring?

He has great prices on settings and does a nice job.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:blackeye:Since there are no refunds on the stone, why not just ask yekutiel to make the setting for you while he has the stone, and surprise her (and you) with the finished ring?

He has great prices on settings and does a nice job.

I'll definitely be sure to ask. However, from what I've seen on gabrielny and his site, I don't see many (any?) rose gold halos for a 2 carat. Plus, my g/f already picked out her setting from James Allen and they're running the 25% off discount.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like brown diamonds, too, and that one is pretty well cut! I think if we had known in the first place that she wanted a brown diamond, we wouldn't have wasted your time trying to show you diamonds that would face up relatively white! Always try to buy the setting from the diamond vendor. So let Yekutiel do the setting because you'll have a bit of a challenge finding someone to set a diamond and setting that you bought elsewhere. IDJ would take responsibility if anything happened to the diamond, and a random jeweler who didn't sell the stone or setting probably will not. I am sure Yekuteil can access thousands of settings aside from what they show on their site. Settings can be ordered in rose gold for stones of any size. Just show him a picture of the style she likes and he can find something similar. Then the ring comes to you finished and ready to insure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I think really this was the best case scenario brownish diamonds can be quite striking I'm glad she had an open mind and very good taste :)

Now the setting! What does she like??

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I honestly didn't know she would prefer the brown tint before she picked that one out. Was actively avoiding brown tinted stones before that. :(

Yes, will see what Yekutiel says. Would be kind of funny to have IDJ send a diamond directly to James Allen.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now the setting! What does she like??

Well, I was originally planning on getting this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-41414

But then after looking at all of the choices she decided she liked this one better: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49364

So double halo. :) But I actually took a screenshot and measured the width of the version set with two carats, and it only came to something like 10.6-11 mm, so actually on the small side even for a normal single halo.

I'm 80% sure we're going to go with that, but please send me any suggestions you might have! Really, the only two requirements are that it should be a halo and in rose gold.

EDIT: the way I measured was by taking, from the face on position, the length of the diamond + halo and dividing the the length of the diamond. So let's say "optically" it's under 11mm. In reality, it'll be wider than that because the edge of the halo is behind the edge of diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I KNEW you'd say double Halo. Love it.

What's your budget

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lovely settings OP! For both I would ask JA to make claw prongs so that they look more like the computer rendering rather than the round prongs in the real life examples, of course if that's what you'd prefer :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
11 mm isn't going to be small. It'll be AWESOME!! And yes yekutiel can get andor make whatever you like. Send him a pic or link to hat JA setting. And go stalk the ID Jewelry Instagram page. :kiss2::geek2::love:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I KNEW you'd say double Halo. Love it.

What's your budget

Gotta give the lady what she wants. :) To be honest, a halo was originally my idea, since it gives a lot of area/$ and sparkles/$ and ctw/$, and as you've probably figured out, I'm definitely about maximizing value. And I have to admit that the one she ended up picking does look nicer than the single halo I had picked.

Budget-wise, I want to keep the whole thing under 10K, so let's say <2?

Lovely settings OP! For both I would ask JA to make claw prongs so that they look more like the computer rendering rather than the round prongs in the real life examples, of course if that's what you'd prefer :)

Good idea! I'll look into that.

That's the one! I'll ask Yekutiel if he can make it in rose gold. Two reasons I might still go with James Allen: 1) 25% off, 2) I think (need to double check; correct me if I'm wrong) the lifetime warranty applies even if we use a third party stone for the center. Given that it's likely the ring may need some cleaning or prong tightening in the future, it might be a good thing to have.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly going with James Allen just doesn't make sense. The settings you have from idj are comparable and it's much easier to get it done all at one place. Also. Imagine it gets chipped in setting. If idj was setting it they would have to take full responsibility for it. If ja does. You better hope you have insurance. Then you'll make a claim and op better hope they don't drop you for adding a piece of jewelry and claiming it within 30 days.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the IDJ one. The pave if finer and look at those prongs!

If your GF loves JA one, just note that the JA ring does not have a solid, visible line of metal separating the two pave rows. The stones are more tightly set. IDJ should be able to make that change fairly easily.

upload_2017-8-23_22-55-4.png
upload_2017-8-23_22-55-45.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, with a stone over 8mm, I'd do a single delicate pave halo, because you'll be at over 10mm diameter with that. That's huge. You have to remember she is probably expecting a smaller diamond. I have every confidence that Yekutiel can do a better quality halo setting, especially if you go with a single halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This style is probably the most popular halo ever on this site. It is by Victor Canera, but it is a great example to show Yekutiel for a classic halo style. I really liked the ring with the plain shank you posted earlier if she is open to the plain shank. It's nice to see more of the rose gold.

VCemilyahalo.jpg

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, with a stone over 8mm, I'd do a single delicate pave halo, because you'll be at over 10mm diameter with that. That's huge. You have to remember she is probably expecting a smaller diamond. I have every confidence that Yekutiel can do a better quality halo setting, especially if you go with a single halo.

She actually was OK with this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...amond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-41435 but when I really insisted on knowing which one she liked better, she admitted she preferred the double halo.

This style is probably the most popular halo ever on this site. It is by Victor Canera, but it is a great example to show Yekutiel for a classic halo style. I really liked the ring with the plain shank you posted earlier if she is open to the plain shank. It's nice to see more of the rose gold.

VCemilyahalo.jpg

That's very nice. I wonder if it would be a problem setting it with a 2 carat stone though. James Allen I know has some similar styles that only go up to 1.5 centers. #2CaratProblems

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with the JA setting, try using the RACE25 coupon code. It's valid unti, Sept 4th. I don't know if it'll definitely work, but it's worth a try. :P2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

VCemilyahalo.jpg

Emilya?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't look at James Allen rings anymore. I really don't think there's any need to buy from there or limit yourself. Go to idj's website a d go through the brands they have and have her pic from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results