shape
carat
color
clarity

2.88 ct J SL1 Opinions Please

T1NS

Rough_Rock
Let me start off by saying, any and all searches during my research, led me to amazing conversations on these forums. Since I am pulling the trigger I just wanted to get one last opinion from what seems like an honest and helping community.

I decided to go with a 2.88 carat J color SL1 round diamond, link is here:

Prioritizing the 4 Cs cut was at the top of the list. I know these ACA diamonds demand a premium but it really takes away from my guesswork if a diamond will be brilliant. The SL1 grading was confirmed by WF to be eye clean and any inclusions do not affect the performance of the diamond. The J color was kind of necessary to stay in the 25k budget and get as close to 3 carats as I could. I hope that with the diamond being well cut, it may be able to ultimately hide some of the warmth associated with the lower color grade.

I have been on the hunt and decided to pull the trigger because it is an ACA and has the dimensions of a closer to 3 carat diamond. I figured I am getting a 3.0 for the price of a ~2.9 (9.2x9.25mm).

My experience with WF has been amazing so far and I will be setting this on a 2 mm simple solitaire setting in platinum.

I guess my question is, do you think this is good value or should I hunt for better?

Also do you think I should sacrifice some size for a better color grade? I know this is preference and when seeing diamonds in person, face up, I can barely see a difference.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

T1NS

Rough_Rock
2.882ct J SI1.jpg

This is a picture of the diamond itself. Obviously cannot tell a whole lot from this but just a little more insight.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off congrats on a wonderful choice!

I don't think you could have landed in better hands. WF has awesome stones, excellent trade program when/if the time comes, top notch customer service and more competitively priced than some of the other super ideal vendors.

What I really like about them is the level of transparency they offer their customers in all facets.

Could you find a similar size J SI1 for less money if you looked for a GIA XXX? Probably so. But it will take some looking to find a true performer. You likely won't find one that has the 3D optical symmetry WF H&A stones offer. And you likely won't find all advanced images to make you feel warm and fuzzy about it all. And the trade programs will be vastly different (more restrictive) as well.

It's just a matter of priorities and preferences. Some want to trade "perfection" for more size or color. Hands down I prioritize cut and find the super ideals to offer a fantastic bang for the buck. IMO, the lowest dollar doesn't necessarily mean the best value.

As far color goes, opinions vary considerably. The only right answer is that of the buyer and/or wearer. Whatever color you choose, make sure the wearer is okay with it. Nice thing is if the J isn't white enough, you can use that awesome upgrade program to swap to a higher color stone.

While a super ideal won't make a stone whiter, it can enhance light return so you get edge to edge brightness which can give an optical illusion of being more bright and larger than a stone of similar color with poor cut.

Again, congratulations! I think you have chosen and spent well.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @sledge . However, is this for you or for a soon to be fiance? I ask because its critical to know your partners preferences. Its entirely possible that she won't want J color and is fine with a smaller stone. I think the stone you chose is great qne totally worth it, but obviously the person wearing it has to agree.

Ringnewbie2020

Rough_Rock
Did you get it? Deciding something similar.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Search their threads. Got a 3ctw J Crafted by infinity from high performance diamonds (I think, but look it up)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results