shape
carat
color
clarity

2.7ct Emerald cut in temp solitaire setting

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Dear all,

I have been wanting to get an emerald-cut solitaire for many many many years. :love: I love the clean, minimalistic look of step cuts as they are totally different from brilliant cut diamonds. Hence one day during a random search through Pricescope and I found one that made me took the plunge. It feels like falling in love!! :love: I contacted Wonder Jewelers as they were the first and fastest to respond to me, thus that got the ball rolling. They were extremely patient with me :lol: I was virtually chatting with them all the time on the live chat. They are professional and I am very pleased with their responses. :clap: Here are the stats.

Carat : 2.7ct
Color : L
Clarity : VS1
Cut : Very good
Symmetry: Very good
Polish : Excellent
Dimension: 9.78 x 6.7
Depth : 62.5%
Table : 59%

I wonder if the stats are okay? I am not a step cut expert and will wait till the diamond gets shipped to me and I will see it in person to decide. However, from the pictures and videos provided to me, I am happy with the way it looks.

For now, it is in temporary two-tone setting, white gold prongs and yellow gold band. I have asked them to thin out the bands and make the edges rounded. Here are that Wonder Jewelers pictures sent me. I will be making more adjustments before they ship it over to me. I will request to make the band more rounded and the prongs to be pointed. What do you all think?

IMG_8676_zpstfq9rnne.jpg

IMG_8677_zpspgvmofwg.jpg

IMG_8678_zpsegmfuk6i.jpg

I believe the ring is not sized to my ring size yet.

I am still thinking of a new setting for it. I do love the look of a plain solitaire and thus I went on with the simplest setting available. I am now trying to get more inspiration for my reset. I am thinking of doing a halo or with side baguettes.

Here are some inspiration pictures.

IMG_8492_zpszeesno40.jpeg

IMG_8598_zpsihctquuh.png

A summary of my inspiration

IMG_8602_zps0ivx3ggf.jpg

Now I have to wait for it to ship over to me :bigsmile:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful moonriver. I've always wanted a step cut too. Congratulations!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a beautiful emerald cut! I think I'd be fine with straight tab prongs to accentuate the corners of an EC, especially on a temp setting. There are many great setting options, you'll just have to decide which you love the most!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1476244933|4086012 said:
Beautiful moonriver. I've always wanted a step cut too. Congratulations!!

Thanks LLJsmom! I thought it was time for me to take the plunge. I wanted a different look from the usual round diamonds :dance:

diamondseeker2006|1476245918|4086016 said:
Looks like a beautiful emerald cut! I think I'd be fine with straight tab prongs to accentuate the corners of an EC, especially on a temp setting. There are many great setting options, you'll just have to decide which you love the most!

Thanks diamondseeker2006!After looking at many pictures, I get very confused and wonder which prong type is the best. I am thinking of the keeping the tab prongs as you suggested. :dance: But there are so many pictures on Pinterest that is confusing me. :think: They have round tip prongs, sharp prongs etc...will the different types of prong impact the overall look?

it will be a temporary setting until I finalise what I want, I am looking at finalising a permanent setting by the end of this year. So it will be another 2 more months....

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, I love the elongated emerald, looks so elegant. Looking forward to handshots.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
apacherose|1476278653|4086094 said:
Beautiful, I love the elongated emerald, looks so elegant. Looking forward to handshots.
Thanks apacherose! Yes the ratio is 1.459. It's between 1.4 to a 1.5. I read that 1.4 is the popular ratio but there are some who love the ratio of 1.5. I thought the in between ratio was a balance. I can't wait to see it in person :dance:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew i would LOVE this before I even saw it - LOVE emerald cuts. Yours looks gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! I obviously don't know you, but PLEASE keep it as simple as possible - the current setting is dreamy (maybe with different prongs). Nobody asked ME, but maybe baguettes but no halo.........

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for baguettes and no halo. :love: :love:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
mco312|1476291998|4086191 said:
+1

your elongated emerald is just STUNNING. I also lust after step-cuts and hope to add one to my collection in a few decades. Hopefully I won't have to trade in my man to do so :angel:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so enjoy seeing lower colored step cuts. Yours is so white. Thanks for sharing.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Emeralds are so elegant and yours does not disappoint!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful. Reminds me of George Clooneys wife's ring. :love:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stone and it looks huge on your finger!

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
62.5 depth and 2.7 cts!!! Aaaah, it will be a beauty.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful. I would place it in 18K gold and place moonstones around it.. for some reason, halos do't do much for emerald cuts imho. Can't wait to see your final setting. Congratulations!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
motownmama|1476287714|4086149 said:
I knew i would LOVE this before I even saw it - LOVE emerald cuts. Yours looks gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! I obviously don't know you, but PLEASE keep it as simple as possible - the current setting is dreamy (maybe with different prongs). Nobody asked ME, but maybe baguettes but no halo.........
Thanks motownmama! I am thinking of getting the prongs sharper. But the tab prongs gives it a vintage look. I need to ask them if they can sharpen it or if they can do a double claw :dance:

Fulvia|1476293409|4086201 said:
mco312|1476291998|4086191 said:
+1

your elongated emerald is just STUNNING. I also lust after step-cuts and hope to add one to my collection in a few decades. Hopefully, I won't have to trade in my man to do so :angel:
Thanks! It was DH that let me take this plunge as he says I need to enjoy something! I am leaning more towards either with side baguettes or halo as i have been inspired by many PS rings! Still deciding!

derbygal|1476294466|4086208 said:
I so enjoy seeing lower colored step cuts. Yours is so white. Thanks for sharing.
Hi derbygal! This one has faint fluorescence and I hope it helped a little. Can't wait to see it in person and take hand shots :appl:

kathley|1476295078|4086219 said:
Emeralds are so elegant and yours does not disappoint!
Yes kathley! I love the clean cuts of it :love:

Tekate|1476317489|4086409 said:
it's beautiful. I would place it in 18K gold and place moonstones around it.. for some reason, halos do't do much for emerald cuts imho. Can't wait to see your final setting. Congratulations!
Moonstones and opals are beautiful! They are charming and coming back! I am still browsing around to look for more inspiration. I have been through a few resets and there were ups and downs. I hope this will turn out well eventually! :D

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Really lovely! Looks great on your hand. Such a classic :love:

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
kgizo|1476312500|4086378 said:
Great stone and it looks huge on your finger!
Its not my fingers :razz: But i do hope it will look good on mine. :dance:
Pyramid|1476296106|4086236 said:
Looks beautiful. Reminds me of George Clooneys wife's ring. :love:
Hi Pyramid! I do love the look of her ring. It is with side baguettes if i am not wrong.
amal%20clooney_zpskinoayn0.jpg

LawmaLlama|1476317352|4086408 said:
62.5 depth and 2.7 cts!!! Aaaah, it will be a beauty.
Yes i notice this one has 62.5% and the rest of the emerald are at average of 65% depth and some can reach 70% depth! But they all look different with different numbers of steps and the table % size. Looking at the pictures was mindboggling. :twirl:

kylier

Shiny_Rock
So crystal clear I could just look into it forever! Love it!

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
I am really looking to receive it... the wait is killing me :wall: talk about delayed gratification...

Anyway, which prong type should i go for?
A) Straight Tabs

B) Sharp prongs

c) Double claw (not sure if they can do it)

:confused:please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful Moonriver, so elegant. Looking forward to see what setting you choose. :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! :love: It's such a lovely stone! Congratulations! Looking forward to more pics! :wavey:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I like the simple look of Your beautiful ring but baguettes would make Your stone really pop. And then You'll have a ring that won't ever go out of vogue :appl: :appl:

_6172.jpeg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful EC. IMO I like it as a solitaire or with the baguettes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
They manage to send me another picture of the side profile. They did thin out the bands. :clap: she will be shipped on Friday! Yeah!

IMG_8789_zpslr9zjvr9.jpg

It's a simple clean simple design. The clean designs is growing on me. Just that I thought it's a little too high.
But it seems that is the lowest that they can go. I am still thinking of resetting options.
Any pictures of the side profile of the baguette ring? Thanks :bigsmile:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
img_2808.jpg
This is my emerald cut diamond with two sides and half halo. It also has tapered baguettes on the shoulders. It is a recent remodelling.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Bron357|1476438241|4086952 said:
img_2808.jpg
This is my emerald cut diamond with two sides and half halo. It also has tapered baguettes on the shoulders. It is a recent remodelling.

Woh!!Bron357! That's lots of finger coverage! I hope I enjoy my ring like you! :appl:

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, the ring has finally arrived. Here are the hand shots! I am not loving the high setting. I am definitely embarking on a resetting journey.

The prongs are way way too too high for me...the prongs are now pointed tip.
IMG_8814_zps8uxydlm9.jpg

With my channel set bands
IMG_8811_zpsvtmnoyhc.jpg

IMG_8810_zps2g8kaydy.jpg

With the Cartier trinity ring
IMG_8809_zps87smvwfj.jpg

Standing alone
IMG_8805_zpszd82yiyz.jpg

The high setting is making me feel uneasy and seems unsafe..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results