shape
carat
color
clarity

2.73 ACA vs 2.62 BGD or Custom CBI

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys!

Thank you for all your help with my last post! Otherwise I would have made a poor purchase from my local jeweller!

After doing further research I’ve narrowed it down to these three:

2.738 G VVS2 ACA

2.62 G VS2 Black by Brian Gavin

Or a cut to order Crafted by Infinity with similar specs as the above two.

I haven’t received a quote yet from High Performance Diamonds and should hear back at the end of the month as they said Antwerp is currently closed.

Of these three stones which do you think would be the best choice?

The BGD is going to be slightly more but if the optics will be better on this stone I don’t mind paying the premium.

Looking at the ACA at 12 o’clock is the arrow a little off? Will it made in impact?

Thank you so much for your help!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a big CBI fan so HPD gets my first vote! I love that they source the rough, cut the crystal, give it to you at the agreed upon price even if the clarity is higher or the color is better than projected. You can even meet the cutter some day if you want. It all feels very fairy tale to me. A story to tell. If you think your fiancé would appreciate that and you have the budget...why not.

Otherwise the ACA has a slight edge for me. The deeper pavillion in the BGD results in paying for diamond you can’t see. The 40.7 pavillion in the ACA allows for more spread. I know it’s a minor point. The other consideration is that you have to upgrade two of the c’s if you trade up with BGD. With Whiteflash you just have to spend a dollar more.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The price for the 2.738 G VVS2 ACA is really good and the stone is over the 9mm mark, which is rare for a 2.738ct stone. That would be my pick. But I'm curious what a similar custom cut CBI would cost.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the 2.738 G/VVS2...the Brilliance video on it is TDF (so crisp and clean)!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I’m really curious about what the pricing will be like for the CBI as well! Getting super excited and impatient! Haha I do love the idea of sourcing a rough diamond and having it custom cut. It does make it feel very very special.

They said that they don’t know what the pricing will be like once Antwerp opens back up.

I’m reading mixed opinions that diamond prices have dropped 25% due to COVID, but also hearing that since there is less supply and the prices could go up?

I’m worried that if there is not enough supply(due to less mining) that they won’t be able to find a stone with similar specs.

So really curious to see what happens. I’ll keep you guys posted on what they are able to find for me!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could have both vendors hold your credit card and have the stones sent to you to decide with your own eyes.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
You could have both vendors hold your credit card and have the stones sent to you to decide with your own eyes.

That’s a great idea! I’m going to contact them to see what the process is in order to do that and I’ll do a comparison.

If I’m able to get them. I’ll post the update on here and possibly make a video.

I live in Canada so not sure how it will work.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the biggest one.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a great idea! I’m going to contact them to see what the process is in order to do that and I’ll do a comparison.

If I’m able to get them. I’ll post the update on here and possibly make a video.

I live in Canada so not sure how it will work.

I wouldn't import if you intend to send one back. That's probably going to cost you quite a bit in shipping.

I'd just nab the ACA, that is not a particularly common find.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know BG is more expensive than WF? BG charging 46k for 2.6 and WF charging 43.5K for 2.7ct? I'm confused lol! And I don't know where CBI falls in?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Between the 2, go for the WF one. It's bigger & cheaper. If anything, pay for the WF stone as I doubt they will hold it till CBI opens. Don't have them ship it yet. Ask if they can delay shipping. Do you have a setting picked out yet?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know BG is more expensive than WF? BG charging 46k for 2.6 and WF charging 43.5K for 2.7ct? I'm confused lol! And I don't know where CBI falls in?

I purchased two smaller CBI’s recently and shopped around. The smallest .42 was $20 less than a comparable ACA and the larger .61 was slightly more $70. I could have bought a .61 BGD H&A round for $6 less. So the cost difference between the three was hardly worth thinking about. It does seem to vary stone to stone but Black by Brian Gavin are consistently higher from what I’ve seen.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't import if you intend to send one back. That's probably going to cost you quite a bit in shipping.

I'd just nab the ACA, that is not a particularly common find.

Ohh I did not know you have to pay import fees when testing the diamonds.

Yeah that would cost a lot!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Between the 2, go for the WF one. It's bigger & cheaper. If anything, pay for the WF stone as I doubt they will hold it till CBI opens. Don't have them ship it yet. Ask if they can delay shipping. Do you have a setting picked out yet?

I am still debating on a setting. I want a classic solitaire knife edge, but also thinking of maybe getting a CLIQ setting in a knife edge style. But worried it will be too thick (min width 2.7mm, min height 2mm)

I don't see a lot of reviews on the CLIQ setting so a little hesitant!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm in Canada too. I wouldn't ship anything just to take a look at it. I know it's a pain for us but I suggest make the best decision you feel is right for you & buy one stone. Going with WF or HPD is great because if you want to upgrade, you can do that with less restriction than with BGD.

Is the CLIQ setting the one with the hinged shank? That's a little wide at 2.7. You're stone will be pretty big so it will look ok with 2.7. I know we tend to go thinner on the shank to make our stones look bigger. LOL I don't think a lot have the CLIQ as I recall they are quite pricey.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I am still debating on a setting. I want a classic solitaire knife edge, but also thinking of maybe getting a CLIQ setting in a knife edge style. But worried it will be too thick (min width 2.7mm, min height 2mm)

I don't see a lot of reviews on the CLIQ setting so a little hesitant!

Search @headlight her Brian Gavin recut thread talks about her CLIQ settings. They seem very nice.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks mwilliamanderson for the suggestion. Gorgeous ring indeed.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks mwilliamanderson for the suggestion. Gorgeous ring indeed.

You’re welcome! =)2

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I'm in Canada too. I wouldn't ship anything just to take a look at it. I know it's a pain for us but I suggest make the best decision you feel is right for you & buy one stone. Going with WF or HPD is great because if you want to upgrade, you can do that with less restriction than with BGD.

Is the CLIQ setting the one with the hinged shank? That's a little wide at 2.7. You're stone will be pretty big so it will look ok with 2.7. I know we tend to go thinner on the shank to make our stones look bigger. LOL I don't think a lot have the CLIQ as I recall they are quite pricey.

Yeah I’m worried that a 2.7mm shank will look thick, since my ring size is only about a size 4. Might look too chunky. Hoping the knife edge style would make it a little thinner.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i would go for aca. a bird at hand is worth two in the bush. not sure if this aca is going to be around when cbi arrives? did they tell you when they will be able to deliver cbi to you? i hate waiting game especially knowing that this stone is pretty nice and so is the price!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the CLIQ has to be a minimum thickness to accommodate the mechanism. I personally like it but I know it’s not the super narrow shank that is very popular. If you had it encrusted with diamonds versus plain solitaire you might not feel it being as thick.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have a tiny finger size. Do they do CLIQ wedding bands? Maybe a regular e-ring with a 2 - 2.1mm shank & a CLIQ w-band? Having the band should help with the spinning. Or a Euro shank.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just add sizing beads. That's the easiest solution. I would not want a shank that wide with a tiny finger size.

I saw this thread yesterday and didn't reply, because that Whiteflash 2.73 G VVS is kind of my dream stone, and I have been trying to hold back from being crazy and buying it myself! So when I saw someone interested in it, I really had to sleep on it before posting! It's an amazing price. The low depth gives it an amazing spread! There's no comparison between it and the second stone you linked. It is larger (9.06x9.11 vs 8.9mm), VVS vs VS2, and costs less. I don't see any decision to make between those two. If CBI had a current stone similar in size and specs to the WF stone, then I could see choosing the one with the best pricing, as both are outstanding cuts. But would I wait on a total unknown as far as pricing and timeframe when there is a stone ready to ship this coming week? No way!

I'd already have this diamond on reserve if I didn't already have two diamond engagement rings. Seriously. It's taking me a little effort to actually post this reply. :cry2: :lol:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
i would go for aca. a bird at hand is worth two in the bush. not sure if this aca is going to be around when cbi arrives? did they tell you when they will be able to deliver cbi to you? i hate waiting game especially knowing that this stone is pretty nice and so is the price!

They said they would begin Cut to Order Diamonds in September. Yes agreed I really hate waiting and wondering what will be available and how much it will be as well!

I'd just add sizing beads. That's the easiest solution. I would not want a shank that wide with a tiny finger size.

I saw this thread yesterday and didn't reply, because that Whiteflash 2.73 G VVS is kind of my dream stone, and I have been trying to hold back from being crazy and buying it myself! So when I saw someone interested in it, I really had to sleep on it before posting! It's an amazing price. The low depth gives it an amazing spread! There's no comparison between it and the second stone you linked. It is larger (9.06x9.11 vs 8.9mm), VVS vs VS2, and costs less. I don't see any decision to make between those two. If CBI had a current stone similar in size and specs to the WF stone, then I could see choosing the one with the best pricing, as both are outstanding cuts. But would I wait on a total unknown as far as pricing and timeframe when there is a stone ready to ship this coming week? No way!

I'd already have this diamond on reserve if I didn't already have two diamond engagement rings. Seriously. It's taking me a little effort to actually post this reply. :cry2: :lol:

Wow thank you so much! Yes it is such a beautiful stone. It was actually looking at another diamond with the exact the same specs that I found at a local jeweller. But this diamond blows the other one out of the water. So this was a great find!

Seems like everyone is saying that this stone is quite uncommon and a great purchase. I've contacted them to put the diamond on hold for me!

Based on all the feedback it also seems like everyone agrees that the 2.7mm is going to be too thick for me. I don't think I want to take the risk! I'll go for something thinner. I will look into the beads and also the Euro Shank.

Wow you have two engagement rings thats incredible! You are one lucky lady!!

Thank you so much for your input. It has made me a lot more confident in the purchase of the band and diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad if I could be of help! I have Whiteflash ACA stud earrings and some diamonds-by-the-yard pieces (necklaces and bracelet), plus I have had the pleasure of visiting their showroom, so I am a longtime, loyal customer! I was being 100% honest about that diamond, though. I had even texted the link to a good friend I know from the forum to show her my temptation when I first saw it! lol! Please update us and post pictures when you get the diamond set!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the CLIQ has to be a minimum thickness to accommodate the mechanism. I personally like it but I know it’s not the super narrow shank that is very popular. If you had it encrusted with diamonds versus plain solitaire you might not feel it being as thick.

I'm not a huge fan of the super skinny bands as I used to have a thinner band and found it wasn't that comfortable and spun a lot. I actually started liking the thickness of the Tiffany bands which is around 2.5mm. But I think it tapers and is thinner and thicker in certain areas. I think the CLIQ is a bit thicker and if I want it to taper it would be even thicker than 2.7mm in some areas. I really wanted to get a CLIQ band and even ordered a sizing kit to check my size. :(

I am glad if I could be of help! I have Whiteflash ACA stud earrings and some diamonds-by-the-yard pieces (necklaces and bracelet), plus I have had the pleasure of visiting their showroom, so I am a longtime, loyal customer! I was being 100% honest about that diamond, though. I had even texted the link to a good friend I know from the forum to show her my temptation when I first saw it! lol! Please update us and post pictures when you get the diamond set!

For sure!! I'll post updates and photos once I get the ring!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted you all to know that you can get the CLIQ technology in rings besides their designs. You can have an existing ring retrofitted. Again, there does need to be a min thickness at a certain juncture. My knuckle problems are, unfortunately, beyond the fix of sizing beads :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter uses ring snuggies. It may not be the most glamorous solution, but she uses them for any rings that are too big. You just use scissors to cut off the amount you need for the base of the shank and then wind it around the shank.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@diamondseeker2006 You and me both! I saw this stone on the WF site before this thread and thought about trading in my current stone for it. Had to remind myself that I already own my dream stone :P2

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 You and me both! I saw this stone on the WF site before this thread and thought about trading in my current stone for it. Had to remind myself that I already own my dream stone :P2

That's too funny! I actually thought that someone here would trade up for it! Prices are really good right now, so it's very tempting. You've got an amazing stone already, though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results