shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5CT I next to 1.3CT F...Help w color decisions!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
I went to compare colors yesterday and for the most part, I had a hard time telling between the G's, H's and I's but I'm worried that next to an E or F, an I-color might look really warm.

I snapped a pic of this 2.5 I next to my 1.3 F and the I-color came out looking more blue,grey. Is that just because it's sparkling more or is that because it's an I? Shouldn't it look more yellow than blue? There is no fluoresence on this stone? Any thoughts?

And final question...if you could choose between a 2.0 G or a 2.6 I, which would you go with? Let's say everything else is the same.

img_4126.jpg

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
In think it may look gray because of lighting or flour .....however, the I would tint to a yellow more than the G. I just compared G's to I's and I ended up upgrading to the I because I want the size. Yes, I definitely can tell the difference. But that was in a store with lights, with the diamonds turned face down. I may be able to see from side if I looked hard. I brought them both to the window...natural light, and looked face up. Could not tell the difference. They are both AGS ideal cut so I think that helps a lot because of the sparkle etc. So, it depends on the cut in my opinion. I believe you need to see them all in person before deciding.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Downgrading, you can't upgrade from a G to an I. You can upgrade from an I to a G as G is seen as a higher quality colour
and thus costs more.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlmom|1460131414|4016983 said:
I went to compare colors yesterday and for the most part, I had a hard time telling between the G's, H's and I's but I'm worried that next to an E or F, an I-color might look really warm.

I snapped a pic of this 2.5 I next to my 1.3 F and the I-color came out looking more blue,grey. Is that just because it's sparkling more or is that because it's an I? Shouldn't it look more yellow than blue? There is no fluoresence on this stone? Any thoughts?

And final question...if you could choose between a 2.0 G or a 2.6 I, which would you go with? Let's say everything else is the same.

img_4126.jpg

Everything else would never be the same, as a G would cost about $40,000 and the I in the same size maybe $25,000, if
they are the same price it is because one has more size so more diamond but lower colour quality, and the other is
higher colour and lower size. I would always go with the G but that is just me.

Other people who are judging things like this like the lower colours better for some reason.

Some posters here have said before that colour is not higher or lower quality.
Some people have said it is just the colour and peoples preference.
They say rarity does not matter, but it does in pricing sothere must be some quality factor in there or they would all be the same.

Some don't like the high color as they see them too white and cold. I don't like the lowe color as I see them dark and not
warm as others say.

It is up to you as it is your money. Can you live with a larger darker stone or do you like the size and warmth. If it is
just the size you like then you need to get a larger whiter stone. We cannot manufacture things in our minds as
being if they were all the same. This means we could say if this garnet and this diamond were the same, but we know they
are not both diamond or both garnet. It is really fooling yourself in a way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about what you prefer and what pleases you aesthetically.

In old cut stones "lower" colors add seem to add more depth and personality to the facets making the stones come alive with chunky goodness IMO. However once the stones look "yellow" to me that is where I draw the line for my personal enjoyment. And you cannot compare apples to apples IMO. Old cut stones look different to me re color when compared to modern cuts and my color tolerance is very different. I do not like modern stones below a G or H (my previous ER was a G color) whereas with old cuts I own an L that appears perfect in every way to me. So there you go.

Go with what you prefer and enjoy as there is no right or wrong with what you choose to wear and love as your ER. And if neither of these make your heart sing keep looking.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to add that in a super ideal cut diamond most people won't see a difference in color from the top view
but they will from an angle or size view. I think though in some lighting I can see a difference, certainly once
I know the stones are different colors maybe not if I didn't know. Cut is definitely what makes the difference.
There again some are happy with that but I don't like to see color from the side, well not below a G. I could maybe live
with an H or I or J but not lower. Everyone is different, make your own mind up as no one else really looks at your
diamond after a few days and it is just yours and your money spent on it. This is what makes me think maybe go for
a happy medium, like I would like high colorless but can live with up to J say, so go for somewhere in the middle.
Before the internet people made up their mind or went with a jeweller's opinion but remember he has a vested
interest in getting money out of you so is not an independent in this, the only independent is you unless you
take two diamonds to an independent appraiser where he is only advising you between the two.

Lots of people here like old cut diamonds.
The higher colored ones we are told were recut into modern brilliants when the electric
lighting came in. People like to romanticise that error and the lower lights and are
taking the lower color diamonds and making them the same in their mind as lower lights and
discoloured lace even though back then people had white high colored diamonds. They therefore
liken the old cuts to this and are happy with antique lower colors which is what is available as
they were not cut as often into modern brilliants as their more expensive counterparts were.

People who had money back in those days had money to both buy them and get them recut. People
like this do not need to resell them either so they are probably in their families or large safes or
just out in the market as D color modern brilliants if resold. This is we are told why we do not see
old cuts in high colors, another theory is that the mines back then produced lesser colorless diamonds
than they do today and this is why they cost a lot more. So if there are more colorless diamonds
available today, why are they not cheaper or as cheap as the lower colors if rarity is not an ingredient
anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results