shape
carat
color
clarity

2.59 ct on size 3.5 ringer too big?

stephoney

Rough_Rock
We are finalizing a ring purchase and have found the perfect diamond. I have small hands, am about to graduate dental school (translates to: wear gloves all day and work with my hands and lots of materials), and have a size 3.5 ring finger. The diamond we found is 2.59 cts. My boyfriend loves the size and the way at least 2.5 cts looks on me. I adore the diamond, but the finality of the decision is making me nervous that it may be too big for me, too large to wear under gloves, while I'm working, etc. Opinions? Pics of other similar diamonds on size 3-4 fingers? Any advice appreciated! This is only the loose diamond, so I don't have a real sense of it on top of and centered on my finger.
ring2.png ring1.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s too big but pragmatically speaking, you may need to take it off if you wear gloves often. Especially depending on the style of setting you want. I often take my rings off and they are usually fairly small but I don’t like to deal with snagging. And when I was in the OR we had to remove jewelry to scrub in anyways.

You could probably design a bezel setting thats smooth and minimizes snags but I don’t know if that’s your style.

I think it’s a great size though :D. But “too big” is totally a personal opinion thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many women who wear gloves at work just wear a wedding band to work. I wouldn't let that stop me from getting the diamond I really want. Even a 1 ct solitaire will catch on gloves, so I wouldn't worry about the size if it is the size you want!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that you'll probably want to stick with a low band while at work and save the engagement ring for evenings and weekends. A 2.59 ct diamond will look very large on you, but I'd say go with whatever size you like.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it looks too big on you. I wear my engagement ring all the time (otherwise I will forget where I put them!!) and work in medicine. I have a 3ct diamond with 8 prong setting. I think I've ripped my gloves a handful of times. I find that if I rotate the ring into my palm, it's easier to get the gloves on. I agree go with whatever makes you comfortable :)

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I expected it to look bigger to be honest, maybe because it's between your fingers? Can you try diamdb.com for size comparisons?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it’s big, but not too big imho. You may find gloves to be a pain with it, but that’s kind of the case no matter what size your ring is. I’d suggest bezeling your diamond to minimize the ripping of gloves, or just stick with a band for work (as others have mentioned).

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Team not too big!! :wavey:

Definitely recommend not wearing it to work, but that shouldn’t deter you from purchasing the diamond. Very beautiful!! :mrgreen2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
It looks great! Not too big at all!

My friends who wear gloves regularly tend not to wear engagement rings at work. My dentist friend wears a wedding band only to work. Other friends in the medical field wear silicone rings, both for safety reasons and for comfort. They all rock their ERs after work and on weekends.

I remember a post from a nurse long ago about some type of ring holding necklace you could use for your ER...anyone remember what that is or where you could find it?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I googled and they were these necklaces. I remember it because I thought they were cool looking and I still don’t understand how the heck they work.

https://emilyc.com/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're not going to get very many ladies to tell you that's too big. lol That's not even a consideration with most around here. ;)) I would suggest buying a cheap CZ ring the approximate size of your diamond and wear it around. That's going to give you the best possible idea. As for wearing it under gloves, I have worn my ER under gloves, and lower settings work better. But they still snag going on and off at times. I would probably just wear the wedding band if it were me.

And just for the record, I'm not a size gal, and I would not want a diamond that big on a size 3 finger. But it's not what I think, it's what you think!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big (IMO)!!! And as for gloves I wore them too at work and would just turn my diamond (4.56 carats on a size 6 finger) around and it never tore through my gloves. I just used the XL gloves because obviously the smaller sizes wouldn't work as well with a bigger diamond. And as @Ellen wisely points out the lower set diamonds are easier to wear.

And as @Tonks wisely points out if it proves to be uncomfortable for you just don't wear it to work. There's plenty of other places and times you can wear and enjoy it. Many healthcare workers don't wear their ERs to work. I did but we are all different and there's no right or wrong.

Anyway rock it and love it and enjoy it! :appl:

bananabrains

Rough_Rock
I googled and they were these necklaces. I remember it because I thought they were cool looking and I still don’t understand how the heck they work.

What a cool idea! The little video shows how it works. Will keep this in mind for my daughter, who is almost done with dental school!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond looks gorgeous on you! Go for the one that you really LOVE!
Many of my friends in the medical field picked bezel or semi bezel styles if they wanted to wear their ERs daily. Worked for all of them.
I have a very low bezel set antique cushion (3.71cts) that wears more comfortably than my 1.1 ct 4-prong high set oval with sidestones.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond looks gorgeous on you! Go for the one that you really LOVE!
Many of my friends in the medical field picked bezel or semi bezel styles if they wanted to wear their ERs daily. Worked for all of them.
I have a very low bezel set antique cushion (3.71cts) that wears more comfortably than my 1.1 ct 4-prong high set oval with sidestones.

Omg, @kipari I just looked up your ring thread and WOW! What a beautiful diamond and I LOVE your bezel setting!!!

OP, if I were going to be wearing gloves, I would totally go for something along those lines!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, NOT TOO BIG... it looks amazing on your teeny tiny little fingers! I just wanted to add that ANY SIZE diamond that is set medium to high and/or has prongs will cause an issue when putting on gloves. I'm a pharmacist, so I don't have to deal with that nearly as much as nurses, lab techs, etc, but flu season was a PITA because we gave a million vaccinations... therefore, I had to put on gloves all day long. I drove me crazy when the head would flop to either side of my finger. Flipping it around does help, for sure, but I hated doing that (I'm vain and like to look at my ring - under gloves and all!). Also, I didn't want to wear larger gloves than were comfy or risk being exposed when/if gloves broke on the palm side. That said, I had coworkers with really high, prong set rings, and it never bothered them in the least. I've worn bezel set rings, and they were 100% fine, but you have to want a bezel.

Get the diamond in the size you want and set it in the setting you want... gloves be damned. Don't compromise because of your job. I'd buy a stainless steel fake ring of similar size and height and just see how it goes at work... it may not bother you at all.

Size 4.75 finger with 3.3 ct in a 6 prong (set medium to low) - hope this helps!
[ CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB Soli with bezel eternity.jpg CVB Soli_OPI Gel_Suzi Chases Portu-geese.jpg

Attachments

• CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg
    CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, @kipari I just looked up your ring thread and WOW! What a beautiful diamond and I LOVE your bezel setting!!!
Awww, and thank you @Tonks
(and great name, and as well !!)
OP, if I were going to be wearing gloves, I would totally go for something along those lines!

stephoney

Rough_Rock
Wow you ladies are AWESOME! Thank you so much for everyone’s advice! I feel a lot better now whether I decide to wear it under gloves or not.

Such gorgeous rings!!! Thank you for sharing :love:

@Tonks thank you a million for that link! That necklace is going to change my life. My boyfriend keeps saying that it will be too big to wear under gloves and to wear it on a necklace instead, which didn’t sound appealing to me until your post. I didn’t know a design like that existed!

Everyone feel free to keep posting your lovely rings :D it helps to see more large diamonds on small hands. And also the different setting suggestions are so helpful with pics!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if i was a dentist i wouldn't want a ring in the way at work....(and as a patient i wouldn't want a dentist's ER in my mouth even if under gloves - no offense!)...but i'd get whatever ring i wanted anyway and wear it on a necklace in the office or leave it at home as many here have suggested. congrats on the impending engagement and graduation!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hi and what a beautiful diamond!! All the very best on your journey! I have a 3.75 finger and wear a 2.98 carat OMB with a bezel. It's dimensions are 8.86 x 8.64 or so without the bezel. Here's a photo for perspective.
IMG_1320.JPG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big Set it as low as possible and in a thin bezel - it's the prongs that catch.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Wow you ladies are AWESOME! Thank you so much for everyone’s advice! I feel a lot better now whether I decide to wear it under gloves or not.

Such gorgeous rings!!! Thank you for sharing :love:

@Tonks thank you a million for that link! That necklace is going to change my life. My boyfriend keeps saying that it will be too big to wear under gloves and to wear it on a necklace instead, which didn’t sound appealing to me until your post. I didn’t know a design like that existed!

Everyone feel free to keep posting your lovely rings :D it helps to see more large diamonds on small hands. And also the different setting suggestions are so helpful with pics!

You’re so welcome!

I’ve never tried one of those necklaces, so I cannot recommend them from personal experience, but from reading about them it sounds like a fantastic idea!

If you ever wanted to go the silicone ring route for surgery or comfort under gloves, I can recommend a brand there as I wear them to work out. The brand I wear is called Enso. I have three and rotate them. They make skinny stackers and thicker bands. Recently they started making bands that are infused with metal. My silver one looks so real that everyone thinks it is my actual wedding band and it is fun to shock people by rolling it off my finger. :lol:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are finalizing a ring purchase and have found the perfect diamond. I have small hands, am about to graduate dental school (translates to: wear gloves all day and work with my hands and lots of materials), and have a size 3.5 ring finger. The diamond we found is 2.59 cts. My boyfriend loves the size and the way at least 2.5 cts looks on me. I adore the diamond, but the finality of the decision is making me nervous that it may be too big for me, too large to wear under gloves, while I'm working, etc. Opinions? Pics of other similar diamonds on size 3-4 fingers? Any advice appreciated! This is only the loose diamond, so I don't have a real sense of it on top of and centered on my finger.
ring2.png ring1.png
You've nothing to worry about the stone I wear daily is over 6cts. I have never once caught on a glove. I wash my hands 20+ times a day and don't have any issues. If you are using box gloves vs individual sterile pairs be cautious as they tend to be thinner so you'll want to make sure your prongs aren't sharp enough to poke holes in your gloves, PPE is there for a reason.

Reactions: AV_

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@Tonks This is brilliant! I have never seen one of these before. I used to worry about pt's seeing my rings and would tie the on my scrub pants drawstring, bad idea or safety pin them to my bra. Love this sharing with the rest of my practice tomorrow.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t have to wear gloves for my job but I love this design! So great for dishwashing or just anytime you need to take the ring off.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not too big at all. We weren’t allowed to wear rings, other than a plain wedding band in the dental surgery I worked at, and even if we had been, I wouldn’t have wanted to keep putting gloves off and on over my ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results