shape
carat
color
clarity

2.47ct J SI2 OEC help please :)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new stone looks very nice and I really think you will be very pleased plus I don't think you will notice much of a color difference.

I hope you love it!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was coming to post and say how pretty the previous stone was but wow, that K looks incredible! Super excited for you to see what it's like in person

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
New stone looks gorgeous. I hope it's perfect!! Please keep us posted with photos when you get it. :)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love both stones, but that temp setting is WOW. I hope you keep it!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the input on the new stone, everyone! :wavey: It looks like the ring won't be ready to ship out until Monday, so hopefully I'll have some photos to report back with on Tuesday. :)

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone---

I just received the new K VS1 stone, and it is in the same setting as before. I did notice the slightly creamier color right away, but it doesn't bother me at all. The new stone is just as lovely to me as the previous one, but it looks more rainbow-y and has a puffier crown.

I wish the sun would peak out today so I could take some more outdoor photos, but here is what I have so far:
fullsizerender_13_.jpg
fullsizerender_12_.jpg
fullsizerender_16_.jpg
fullsizerender_15_.jpg
fullsizerender_14_.jpg

This photo shows the stone looking a bit creamy in color, but it is picking up the color of our beige walls and hardly ever looks like this is person:
fullsizerender_17_.jpg

Here is the cert:
fullsizerender_19_.jpg

It does have an extremely thin girdle, which I would have to take into consideration when I find a permanent setting for it. I would definitely have to baby the temp ring in the meantime.

Also, I'm not sure if it is coming across in the photos, but I am wondering if this stone might have a little bit of obstruction going on, which I know is common in OECs. I only notice this at a precisely head-on angle, if I'm looking for it. What would you call this, and would you find this acceptable?
fullsizerender_18_.jpg

I would definitely welcome any input on the new stone, especially regarding the extremely thin girdle and the faceting compared to the previous stone.
Thank you all for following along on my OEC journey! :wavey:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know enough to comment on obstruction, but the stone is simply gorgeous.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1....I LOVEEEE the facet pattern of this new stone!!!! :love:

Q

Queenie60

Love the facet pattern on the stone. I am certainly not an expert but it looks gorgeous to me. The ivory color gives an OEC more personality, just my opinion. And love the fact that it's throwing off the pastel colors which is what I like most about OEC's. It's beautiful. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love this OEC. Beautiful facet pattern and beautiful colors coming from it. Take it to as many different lighting environments as possible to see its personality in different situations. See if you notice anything that bothers you more than just the head on obstruction you are noticing. Can you post more pics so we can better see what you are describing?

The extremely thin girdle is not something I would be concerned about as long as Adam tells you it is OK. My OEC also has an extremely thin girdle and I just have her protected with my setting and Adam assured me it wouldn't be an issue. Definitely ask him about it and see if he thinks you need a special setting for it...I don't have a special setting just an 8 prong setting that Adam said was fine.

Mainly just take her all over and see how she behaves and performs in different lighting environments and situations and see what you love and what you might not love and have fun evaluating her!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ermagherd :love: :love: :love: that is just glorious - even the pic showing its creaminess just looks like it's glittery gold. It's a LOVELY facet pattern, enormous and so bright.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This new stone has a gorgeous facet pattern, very lively and the color is lovely as well, definitely creamy in some of the photos but beautiful. I understand what you are calling "head obstruction", it's very common to see in OEC's but this stone looks like it's very well cut. It has great proportions. I see the same in mine at certain angles. I think this stone looks like a keeper!!!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
wildcat03, ac117, Queenie60, foxinsox, bright ice--- thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback and positive comments on the new stone! :wavey:

missy said:
Wow, I love this OEC. Beautiful facet pattern and beautiful colors coming from it. Take it to as many different lighting environments as possible to see its personality in different situations. See if you notice anything that bothers you more than just the head on obstruction you are noticing. Can you post more pics so we can better see what you are describing?

The extremely thin girdle is not something I would be concerned about as long as Adam tells you it is OK. My OEC also has an extremely thin girdle and I just have her protected with my setting and Adam assured me it wouldn't be an issue. Definitely ask him about it and see if he thinks you need a special setting for it...I don't have a special setting just an 8 prong setting that Adam said was fine.

Mainly just take her all over and see how she behaves and performs in different lighting environments and situations and see what you love and what you might not love and have fun evaluating her!

I appreciate your input, Missy! Adam did not have any concerns about the extremely thin girdle on this stone and did not think it needed to be recut, however I did not think to ask about setting suggestions. I'll be sure to ask him if I need a special setting, the next time I talk to him.

The head on obstruction is hardly noticeable in real life, but I have snapped a few pics that show what I am talking about. At a certain angle, the facets under the table appear a bit darker than the rest of the stone.
fullsizerender_27_.jpg fullsizerender_21_.jpg
That or a portion of the table does not seem to fully light up, again only at a certain angle.
fullsizerender_22_.jpg fullsizerender_23_.jpg

I am wearing a black shirt and have dark brown hair, which I'm sure does not help.

Here are some photos where it's not as apparent:
fullsizerender_26_.jpg
fullsizerender_24__0.jpg
fullsizerender_25_.jpg

Would you say that what I am seeing in those photos is common in OECs, or is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you again! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE THIS STONE. LOVE. WINNER IN MY BOOK. :love: :love: :love:

You get this obstruction in any stone.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom said:
LOVE THIS STONE. LOVE. WINNER IN MY BOOK. :love: :love: :love:

You get this obstruction in any stone.

Thank you, LLJsmom! That is a relief to hear. :)

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WOW! Look at the rainbows that stone is throwing! :love: It's beautiful! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony|1474419799|4079047 said:
wildcat03, ac117, Queenie60, foxinsox, bright ice--- thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback and positive comments on the new stone! :wavey:

missy said:

I appreciate your input, Missy! Adam did not have any concerns about the extremely thin girdle on this stone and did not think it needed to be recut, however I did not think to ask about setting suggestions. I'll be sure to ask him if I need a special setting, the next time I talk to him.

The head on obstruction is hardly noticeable in real life, but I have snapped a few pics that show what I am talking about. At a certain angle, the facets under the table appear a bit darker than the rest of the stone.
fullsizerender_27_.jpg fullsizerender_21_.jpg
That or a portion of the table does not seem to fully light up, again only at a certain angle.
fullsizerender_22_.jpg fullsizerender_23_.jpg

I am wearing a black shirt and have dark brown hair, which I'm sure does not help.

Here are some photos where it's not as apparent:
fullsizerender_26_.jpg
fullsizerender_24__0.jpg
fullsizerender_25_.jpg

Would you say that what I am seeing in those photos is common in OECs, or is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you again! :)

I would not be concerned about this if you have taken it into all different lighting environments and it doesn't happen often i.e. the table facets go only partially black i.e. only with head on obstruction some facets go dark... but overall is consistently bright under the table.

OECs flash big and have large contrast zones (compared to MRBs) but can also show big obstruction and when they leak they leak big so you have to evaluate it in all possible situations to see how yours behaves.

When the darkness is caused by obstruction it will usually change quickly when titled and will disappear when you remove the obstruction. If the obstruction/darkness is caused by leakage then it won't. You wrote "the head on obstruction is hardly noticeable in real life" and I think there is your answer.

It looks like a beautifully cut OEC from what I can tell in your photos. It is difficult to translate the true beauty and patterns of OECs via still images but from what I can see it does look like a winner.

So excited to hear more of your thoughts as you continue evaluating and enjoying discovering all facets (lol) of her personality. :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes agree with Missy. Angle and tilt of camera and stone.

Tilted toward me for pic. Obstruction.

Picture taken at angle and hand not tilted as much.

OEC facets are bigger than MRB facets so it may seem more severe. Happens to every stone. If badly cut, really big obstruction all the time.

_5966.jpeg

_5967.jpeg

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
LadyMCh said:
WOW! Look at the rainbows that stone is throwing! :love: It's beautiful! :appl:

Thank you, LadyMCh! :wavey:

missy said:
I would not be concerned about this if you have taken it into all different lighting environments and it doesn't happen often i.e. the table facets go only partially black i.e. only with head on obstruction some facets go dark... but overall is consistently bright under the table.

OECs flash big and have large contrast zones (compared to MRBs) but can also show big obstruction and when they leak they leak big so you have to evaluate it in all possible situations to see how yours behaves.

When the darkness is caused by obstruction it will usually change quickly when titled and will disappear when you remove the obstruction. If the obstruction/darkness is caused by leakage then it won't. You wrote "the head on obstruction is hardly noticeable in real life" and I think there is your answer.

It looks like a beautifully cut OEC from what I can tell in your photos. It is difficult to translate the true beauty and patterns of OECs via still images but from what I can see it does look like a winner.

So excited to hear more of your thoughts as you continue evaluating and enjoying discovering all facets (lol) of her personality. :appl:

Thank you again for such a detailed and informative response! The last lighting condition I wanted to check the stone out in was full sunlight, and the weather finally cooperated today (it was cloudy and rainy the last few days). :) I was pleased with what I saw, so I told Adam today that it is a keeper! :appl:

Everyone's input made this decision so much easier, so I am grateful for all of the help!

LLJsmom said:
Yes agree with Missy. Angle and tilt of camera and stone.

Tilted toward me for pic. Obstruction.

Picture taken at angle and hand not tilted as much.

OEC facets are bigger than MRB facets so it may seem more severe. Happens to every stone. If badly cut, really big obstruction all the time.

Hi, LLJsmom! How kind of you to share photos of your stone to help me figure out this whole obstruction thing! The photos are so helpful! I love seeing the unique personality each OEC has, and your stone is such a beauty. :love: :love: :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations blushpeony!
What a beautiful ring and I am so happy for you! Wishing you lots of blingy joy with your gorgeous OEC. :love:

Have you decided on a setting yet?

Looking forward to more pics of this beauty. :appl:

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
aw thank you, Missy! You've been such a great help. :)

I asked Adam if he thought this stone required a certain type of setting because of its extremely thin girdle, and he said prong setting it would be fine. I'm a bit of a klutz, however, so I would want to protect the girdle without having to bezel the stone.

I was thinking of finding a prong setting with metal that extends slightly past the girdle (not sure what this is called), like this but with a lot less pave:
vintage_setting.jpg
Or something like this:
198_2.jpg 198_0.jpg

It will probably be several months to a year before I am able to reset this stone in a permanent setting, which means plenty of time to decide. I'd welcome any setting suggestions in the meantime! :)

I'm leaving for vacation today, so I won't be able to upload any more photos till I get back in a couple of weeks, but here are a few more pics from today:
fullsizerender_34_.jpg fullsizerender_28_.jpg fullsizerender_29_.jpg fullsizerender_31_.jpg fullsizerender_30_.jpg fullsizerender_33_.jpg fullsizerender_32_.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BP - I just need to tell you that I'm drooling over your new stone!! It's absolutely amazing! And I absolutely love it in its current setting but I understand your concerns about the girdle. I prefer the second setting option/example of those two. I'm sure you're going to come up with something lovely for your gorgeous OEC! Congrats on an awesome find! :love: :clap: :lickout: :bigsmile:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this OEC! Adam sent it to me when I was choosing an OEC and I thought it was extremely white for a K and I loved the facet pattern too. Funny, I worried about the girdle too because I'm klutzy with my hands! Btw, If you want any video of it (even though I think you chose it already) I have a bunch :). Congratulations!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The facets on your new stone are utterly breathtaking. Gorgeous! I love it. I don't see obstruction.

Regarding a setting that will protect the girdle, keep in mind if you extend a setting "completely" over the girdle of a stone (like your first setting) you will change the light reflections the stone throws off. It accentuates the facets but makes the color more steely. You can wrap your stone's girdle with aluminum foil to see how it will look with a bezel like head.

Congratulations on your beautiful OEC!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony|1474659576|4080051 said:
aw thank you, Missy! You've been such a great help. :)

I asked Adam if he thought this stone required a certain type of setting because of its extremely thin girdle, and he said prong setting it would be fine. I'm a bit of a klutz, however, so I would want to protect the girdle without having to bezel the stone.

I was thinking of finding a prong setting with metal that extends slightly past the girdle (not sure what this is called), like this but with a lot less pave:
vintage_setting.jpg
Or something like this:
198_2.jpg 198_0.jpg

It will probably be several months to a year before I am able to reset this stone in a permanent setting, which means plenty of time to decide. I'd welcome any setting suggestions in the meantime! :)

I'm leaving for vacation today, so I won't be able to upload any more photos till I get back in a couple of weeks, but here are a few more pics from today:
fullsizerender_34_.jpg fullsizerender_28_.jpg fullsizerender_29_.jpg fullsizerender_31_.jpg fullsizerender_30_.jpg fullsizerender_33_.jpg fullsizerender_32_.jpg

OMG your latest photos are incredible and really show the beauty of your OEC. Those pastel colors coming from your OEC are seriously TDF and the facets are unbelievable. Crisp clear and just gorgeous. :love:
I even love the setting she is in right now!

I like your inspiration settings too but keep in mind like LightBright wrote that it will change the colors and appearance of the OEC at least a bit if you cover it with any metal vs a prong setting. It might be just as or even more beautiful though so not recommending against it but it is good to keep that in mind. I have an 8 prong setting with an extremely thin girdle and I am a KLUTZ (all in capital letters because I am :blackeye: ) and so far so good...my ring is intact thank goodness. And Adam told me the same thing as you. That a prong setting will be protective enough. Anyway have fun with deciding your final setting and I just don't think you can go wrong. Your OEC is incredible. :love: :love: :love:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Saw your OEC reset on SMTB thread so I came here to see how you chose your stone which has awesome faceting. I just wanted to comment on the stats of this stone which are the same as the stats on GOG's AVR's with those tiny 40+ % tables and mid 60's depth....therefore you see that lovely rounded flower petal faceting under the table and those high crowns. Great choice of stone and educational thread on extremely thin girdles.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, congrats. And I wouldn't worry about the darkness you describe, most OECS have an area in the centre that goes "on and off" as you tilt and move the stone around, that is just what they do.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results