shape
carat
color
clarity

2.07 ct cuprian/paraiba tourmaline ring makeover!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally got around to taking some proper photos and writing up a post! :wavey:

Some of you on CS forum will recognize this Mozambique cuprian ('paraiba') tourmaline from when it was in a pink sapphire halo ring made a while back by Sally at Heart of Water. I had been toying with the idea of resetting it for almost a year because I finally admitted to myself that I don't like modern styles of pave (scoop down / U). Also, my finger got too fat for the original setting.. :(sad But every cloud has a silver lining, as I took the need to resize the ring as the perfect opportunity to undertake an 'extreme makeover' PS style!

At first I thought I would put it in a simple gold bezel design, but after various rounds of sketches and conversations with Sally, we were close but I still was hesitant. My heart wasn't yet fully convinced. Then, I saw the buttercup ring that Sally made for Gear Girly on SMTB ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-2-22-oec-from-jbg-setting-by-heart-of-water.225302/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-2-22-oec-from-jbg-setting-by-heart-of-water.225302/[/URL]). Right away, I knew that was it! So Sally went ahead and replicated the ring but she reused the pink sapphires from the old halo in the side 'leaves' of the ring. It turned out amazing, and the feminine feeling of the buttercup ring complements the delicate pink and candy green tourmaline perfectly! I feel like this ring is like cotton candy and lollipops and all things nice. Sally and Pomme did an amazing job as always. :saint:

And for those of you for whom the above was TL;DR, here are the photos you've been waiting for---- :naughty:

2.07 ct Mozambique copper-bearing 'paraiba' tourmaline, untreated
baby pink sapphires, heat only (don't have info on the sizes as they were reused from the old setting)
7.22 x 7.09 x 5.77mm
14k rose gold
ring size 7 (can wear on my middle finger now :naughty: )

Natural light, indoors
boxnew.jpg

Profile pics (last one is in shaded light to show the pink sapphire sidestones and the rose gold)

excuse the fuzz :shifty:
side1_1.jpg
profile1_4.jpg
sidebox.jpg
Photo taken in shaded natural light to show the accurate color of the baby pink sapphires
pinkprofile.jpg

Outdoor, shaded natural light

outdoor.jpg

Indoor, shaded natural light
hand1_5.jpg

With my 2.05 ct Brazilian paraiba cab ring
shadedsunpair.jpg pairprof.jpg
directsunpair.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, love it to pieces! :love: Love it a whole lot more than the oval next to it. The rose gold and design is just perfect for the paraiba.

What happened to the old setting? Was it recycled / remelted since you've used several melee stones from it?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice indeed! :love: :love: :love:

I hope we could meet up in HK next year again so that you could help me with Paraiba hunting.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waah! It's great to see your pics. Your ring looks amazing and is stunning on your finger. The warm gold complememts the color of the cuprian so well. You have an amazing collection. Please show some group pics as well.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
So lovely!!! Congrats!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love your new ring. I already loved your cuprian but I have to say that the new setting really brings it to life. It's just so girly and sweet! :love:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous - love the re-set!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delicious! :love: Love the nail color too.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: oh how gorgeous - it got more beautiful! Love your nails too.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Love the makeover, looking at glowy stones really lift up my spirits.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. :love: :love: :love:
My new favorite ring!!!! GORGEOUS!!!! :love: :love: :love:
That color, that setting. Perfection! A dream come true. And it looks beautiful on you Mochiko. :love:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a great new setting Mochiko, and how cool that you reused the pink stones too! I much prefer the new setting, and it seems to suit you very well. Very pretty! :love: :love:

Sally does such a nice job. Now that she has moved, I wonder how the production process will change...does it have any effect on you (now that she's farther away)? I haven't contacted her for anything since her shop says closed until Dec 20th.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Mochiko, I love the reset. It is just stunning. :love: The cuprian is really nice. Were you lucky enough to find that through one of the PS recommended vendors ? I would love to find one of similar color.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow it's gorgeous!! It looks perfect set in rose gold and I love that you reused the sapphires.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more photo of an awkward stack (I was actually wearing one on each hand, not together. I only stacked them for the photo!)
15535604_374305796255561_852509609066233856_n.jpg

thanks Chrono, Acinom, dk, luxroman, elle, marymm, LisaRN, theredspinel, lovinggems, missy, Desertrose, GLbluegreen, siameseroo. :love:

Chrono, the old setting was recycled. I used 6 of the pink sapphire melee for this stone, and the rest are in storage for a future (yet-to-be-determined) project. :)

I love this setting, it's so pretty and feminine! Also, the 8 prongs give me a better sense of security for the center stone than the old 4 prong setting. All thanks to Gear Girly for the original setting inspiration. :love:

GLbluegreen, I originally purchased the stone a couple of years ago from Chris Auletta (another PSer) who sold it out of his private collection. I believe he originally got it from Beau Patterson.

Desertrose, Sally is now on Instagram (heart_of_water_jewels) so you can follow her move to France there. I have a few loose stones that I want her to set for me in January and it seems like I can mail her the stones to France OR Thailand. Actually I originally wanted to drop off the stones with her in person since I am going to Bangkok next month, but turns out it would still have to be mailed to her since she is in France at that time. I haven't tried doing a project with her since she moved to France.

20161206_083019.jpg

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Mochiko.....Thanks for the reply. I have seen Chris around the site and on Facebook. I will definitely start " stalking " as I believe you described it in one of your other posts. :naughty: Your methods paid off certainly with this beauty. Enjoy ! I am still drooling :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results