shape
carat
color
clarity

1st topic & 1st test stone- please advise!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I decided that today was the day to be bold and emerge from lurker-land, as I finally gained the courage to start testing the waters of loose gemstones. As I mentioned in FallenRox's topic, I am only just starting on the path to coming up with my dream ering.

My boyfriend and I have discussed getting engaged and the fact that we want a non-diamond center stone, but that's where most of our concrete discussions have ended. Our timeline to engagement is within the next two years, depending on a variety of factors (the usual family drama/pressure, potential international move, finances, etc. etc.). The long timeline is actually good, because I know I'm picky and tend to change my mind a lot before settling on a big decision so this takes the pressure off my research time. I know I want something purple, but I've been flip flopping between medium-purple, or a pale lavender with lots of sparkle. My favourite PS stones so far are TS's lavender spinel cushion in the yellow gold halo, and Zestfully Bling's new silver/blue/violet halo. I also can't decide on a cut, but I figure if I choose a colour then I'll at least have one criteria settled upon!

Since I've been trying to "watch and learn" from FallenRox's experience, I decided to dabble in some ebay stones to get an idea of what might look good IRL and next to my skin tone. I purchased my first spinel a few days ago, and wait anxiously for its arrival!

Here is a shot from the ebay listing, and would love if people would contribute their thoughts or observations on the stone so I can learn. I know there is a huge window and I'm not a big fan of the brown/yellow flashes, but I figured it would be a good way to see how I like the lighter saturation and how much grey I would want for less than $10 all-in. It's just a smidge over a carat in weight, and 5.7 x 6.6 in dimension. When I get it in person I'll take some handshots for more opinions.

Thanks in advance! :)

test stone.jpg

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Good for you posting for the first time! :)

And you have PLLLLLLLLLLLENTY of time to figure this out, so that's awesome too!
How'd you get away with only buying one test stone? lol I opened an ebay account and
(oh nevermind what I did) *blush

...but it was worth every package and 10 pack of gem boxes!

You'll definitely get a feel for the sparkly side of spinel life with that one. And from reading what you wrote you know quite a bit about what you like and don't like on screen. Once you get that sucker in your hand, I'd recommend getting another test stone in a more saturated/mid range hue (might be the wrong terminology- Lord knows I'm no expert)

That's what did it for me. The extra light, mid and dark ranges and rolling them around on my hand.
I'm a mid range lover for me personally. Light was like not having enough sugar in the Kool aid and the dark was like....
where's the SUGAR??? lol

That's about all I have to offer at this point, but I love the favorites that you mentioned from here on PS.
Zest's spinel made me drool all over my desk. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think you should look for some $10 light grey spinels without windows. They are to be had, and I do think it's nice you opted for a lighter tone to help with the sparkle.

I don't know if you're referring to my cushion spinel in the yellow gold halo in your comments above, but that stone was $25 and had free S&H. :naughty:

Food for thought.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
TL|1308799128|2952602 said:
Actually, I think you should look for some $10 light grey spinels without windows. They are to be had, and I do think it's nice you opted for a lighter tone to help with the sparkle.

I don't know if you're referring to my cushion spinel in the yellow gold halo in your comments above, but that stone was $25 and had free S&H. :naughty:

Food for thought.

Whoops! It was your stone I was referring to, sorry about the typo TL :oops: !

Definitely some good food for thought... FallenRox, I might be following in your ebay spree footsteps sooner than I'd anticipated!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
petit_bijou|1308802088|2952638 said:
TL|1308799128|2952602 said:

Food for thought.

Whoops! It was your stone I was referring to, sorry about the typo TL :oops: !

Definitely some good food for thought... FallenRox, I might be following in your ebay spree footsteps sooner than I'd anticipated!

I'd love to see what you go for next. After I read your post the other night, I went on a hunt for a few more just to see. I saw a few I'd love to have but we've got a ring to pay for at some point, so I'm going to live vicariously through you guys for a while. ;-)

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I know what you mean... I have SO MANY in my "watched" list right now... I'm trying to be strategic so that I don't spend so much on test stones that I end up cutting into my REAL stone budget. I am trying to decide between a few variations on purple with a fair bit of grey in them... they remind me of the colour of grape flavoured gatorade :cheeky:

I should probably wait to see what my reaction to the first one is before I choose my next one, but I might not be able to hold off that long.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Is it there yet??????????????????

(I know, that doesn't help if it's not, but... I had to ask) lol

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hahahah, not yet!! It's making me nuts- I keep looking at its picture, and adding things to my watch list on ebay.

Because of the postal strike (that just ended) I decided I send it to my home province (I live somewhere else during the school year for grad school), since I'll be going home for about a month in July and I didn't want it to sit in my mailbox at school for so long if I miss it. Depending on when it arrives my mom will forward it to me here at school, otherwise I'm going to have to wait 3 weeks to see it :errrr: !! I really hope it gets there soon and she can flip it around quickly.

In the meantime I might post some pics of the jewelry I wear every day and some of the wildly diverse ideas I have for settings to try and get some input to narrow down what kind of shape I should be ultimately looking for. I need to do SOMETHING to keep me occupied while I wait! It is nice to know there are others who share my anxiety of not having it in my hot little hands though! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results