shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct VS1 Light Green Fancy Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda1

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

I was just curious if a 1.03ct Fancy Light Green Oval cut diamond with great clarity worth it for $******? I really like that it's eye clean and has lots of fire. The green is light but noticeable even more so under subdued light. What are your thoughts on this? Should I go ahead and grab this one up for my girlfriend's engagement ring or pass?

panda1

Rough_Rock
Also...Unfortunately it is not GIA cert, but does have a EGL cert.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
does she like green a lot?? does she want a colored diamond for her engagement ring?

For example I''m a pink girl, all my stuff is pink.. but I really wouldn''t want a pink center diamond for my e-ring.. I want it for a RHR though
3.gif
hehehe but I''ll have to wait for that..

But if she loves it and that''s what she''s looking for go for it!

panda1

Rough_Rock
Thanks Anny...Green is her favorite color. she has no idea I am starting to get parts of her engagement ring together. I have gotten her rings in the past and one of the more recent ones has a pastel green (aquamarine according to the seller) stone roughly 2.5cts that she loves alot. I really want to get her something special, but since there is no concensus on fancy colored diamond prices especially the green I am not sure if this is a deal or if I''m over spending. Keep the replies coming I sure need encouragement in dropping this amount of cash.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pricing colored diamonds is very very hard.

The value will depend on :
- Saturation. Greyish green diamonds are not valuable. A light (if the color is really noticeable and not a stain, in this ask some non expert if it looks light green or not clean white) but highly saturated diamond may be valuable.
- Certificate : GIA is almost necessary.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My answer is no. Do not consider that for an engagement ring unless it is something she specifically asked for. My favorite color is blue, but I do not desire a blue diamond e-ring. I want an outstanding sapphire right hand ring, though.
2.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would say no as well. If I saw a diamond with a slight green tint I would assume it was moissanite. Sorry but I would. For that price, you could get her an amazing white diamond and then once you are married for an anniversary you could dablble in color if she wants. But for a surprise engagement I would stick with white.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I answered on the value but not the "good idea" part.

I don''t either hink it''s a good idea. For a surprise engagement ring I would stick on classical stones : white diamond, blue sapphire and ruby. The first two are very traditionnal while the last one is a symbol of love so all of these are very good even if white diamond is the norm.

If you know she loves one specific gem (say a star sapphire or a padparadsha or a colored diamond) you should try to test the idea of this as an engagement ring.
Some women will looooove a padparadsha, but not even think of it as an appropriate engagement ring.

If you want something more unusual you have to discuss with her. It might be a very good idea anyway.

Take also care that not everybody knows what fancy colored diamonds (especially green, if it were yellow or pink no problem) are worth and an engagement ring should not look cheap as it is also an object of pride.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
For that price, i'd stick to a beautiful white stone, white emerald side stone.....emeralds's and diamond's....yummy
18.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it sounds like an excellent idea wow, green diamonds! Unless it is distinctly green, I would probably think there was something wrong with it. Light fancy might not cut it.

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
It might very well be worth the price- but it is more of a collector stone than a jewelry stone. Against white, it might have a pleasant color, but once set in a ring it will probably look un-spectacular and maybe even unattractive. I would advise against buying it as an engagement ring unless she is directly involved in the decision. In that case, make sure to look at it in a setting before committing to it.

Light fancy yellows can be made to look very nice as center stones by constructing a special yellow gold base for the stone to sit in. I''m not sure there is any way to enhance the look of a light green. Green gold is not really green enough to have this effect.

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
I''d go with a nice big white diamond center stone... you can''t go wrong!
Then, for a punch of green - tsavorite side stones.

I got a plain RB white diamond center, and, sometimes I still wish I would have gotten some nice sapphire sidestones. (sigh...)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/27/2006 3:12:40 PM
Author: panda1
Also...Unfortunately it is not GIA cert, but does have a EGL cert.
The EGL dated when???
Green diamonds are very rare, its a hard call by any labratory to identify as ''natural''
Before i would spend 10K on anything (especialy a green diamond), i would make sure its a natural green...

EGL on fancy color diamonds dont do it to me....!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results