shape
carat
color
clarity

1972 Cartier Black Opal

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kristy, that is so sweet of you to say, thank you! Big apologies to everyone here because when we went on vacation to the beach house I decided I didn't want to take the black opal since it is not insured. Though pics by the sea would be pretty and maybe I could capture the real colors of this opal. Maybe I'll bring it if we just go for a weekend next month and take some more photos. I really need to buy a real camera. I just took some more photos (with my phone) in my apt to see if they come out any better. Thanks again Kristy. Hope you enjoy. :wavey:

blackopalpic1.jpg

blackopalpic3.jpg

blackopalpic4.jpg

blackopalpic10.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pics continued....the color IRL is much deeper and less pastel but for some reason it looks different in my phone pics...

blackopalpic8.jpg

blackopalpic9.jpg

blackopalpic11.jpg

blackopalpic12.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
last 2 for now...

blackopalpic13.jpg

blackopalpic14.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one hecka blingy opal ring, and I must say I love Lightning Ridge black opals! I would create a social life of cocktail parties just so I could wear that ring... :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I said it before and I'll say it again--devine!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1331599413|3147279 said:
That is one hecka blingy opal ring, and I must say I love Lightning Ridge black opals! I would create a social life of cocktail parties just so I could wear that ring... :love:

Thank you minousbijoux- it really is a great party ring I agree. Though these days I wear it more on special occasions than anywhere else as I am a bit of a klutz and as you know black opal is not a hardy stone. ::)

canuk-gal said:
HI:

I said it before and I'll say it again--devine!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you again Sharon. :wavey:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
missy|1317768598|3033310 said:
I was constantly drooling over it so I guess she saw through my subtlety :cheeky:

LOL!

Beautiful ring!! :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That really is stunning!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Danny and TravelingGal!

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone and proportions. Enjoy! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrincessCath|1331676571|3147987 said:
Beautiful stone and proportions. Enjoy! :love:

Thank you PrincessCath.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updating this thread with new photos taken just a few minutes ago.
No editing done. Taken in different rooms. I have not worn this ring for over 7 months and it takes time to warm it up for the gorgeous colors to really shine but wanted to share it nonetheless. Glad to be back wearing it again.

blackcartieropalcloseupjan2020.png

blackcartieropal2020.png

closeupofblackcartieropal2020.png

blackcartieropaljan2020.png

blackcartieropaljanuary2020.png

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply breathtaking!

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Gasp! Just stunning! :love:

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
No editing done. Taken in different rooms. I have not worn this ring for over 7 months and it takes time to warm it up for the gorgeous colors to really shine but wanted to share it nonetheless. Glad to be back wearing it again.

blackcartieropal2020.png

Omg its so gorgeous, @missy !!!! Now I want to learn more about opals!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAWJUS!!!! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That opal is simply perfect and I love seeing photos of it. I love even more that you are wearing it :appl:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, stone and setting.

Out of interest, do you store/treat it in any particular way to protect the opal from drying out etc over the longer term? I adore opals but my jewellery needs to be pretty much like my garden plants - tough and capable of self care for long periods! - so I’m put off by the idea of needing to baby stones like opal and emerald, but I’m not sure how much looking after they really require.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, stone and setting.

Out of interest, do you store/treat it in any particular way to protect the opal from drying out etc over the longer term? I adore opals but my jewellery needs to be pretty much like my garden plants - tough and capable of self care for long periods! - so I’m put off by the idea of needing to baby stones like opal and emerald, but I’m not sure how much looking after they really require.

Thanks @lissyflo. I keep it in a plastic ziplock with a moist cotton round. My parents used to give it a water bath every now and then when they owned it but this is how I keep it moist. Yes it is a bit nerve wracking taking good care of it and I am always cognizant of the fact that it could crack or craze etc. but I enjoy it and will enjoy it for as long as I can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That opal is simply perfect and I love seeing photos of it. I love even more that you are wearing it :appl:

Thank you very much @Bron357. I love looking at it even when I am not wearing it (and often take it out to admire it) but it is wonderful to wear it too.

One more photo.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.14.59 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lissyflo. I keep it in a plastic ziplock with a moist cotton round. My parents used to give it a water bath every now and then when they owned it but this is how I keep it moist.Yes it is a bit nerve wracking taking good care of it and I am always cognizant of the fact that it could crack or craze etc. but I enjoy it and will enjoy it for as long as I can.

Thanks for the info. And absolutely you should wear and enjoy it - it would be a travesty for something so beautiful, and sentimental for you, to be locked away unworn.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much @Bron357. I love looking at it even when I am not wearing it (and often take it out to admire it) but it is wonderful to wear it too.

One more photo.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.14.59 AM.png

Simply gorgeous Missy! I could stare at that opal for hours. Your dad must have passed along the jewelry loving gene! It looks beautiful on you sweet Missy.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

blackcartieropal2020.png

I love this ring
And i love it's story
i love that your mom and dad gave it to you so they can see your love for it

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the story behind this ring :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I remember seeing you post a photo of this ring awhile back and I though it was so magnificent that the image has stayed with me. Thanks for posting more photos of it! It truly is a ring for the ages! Absolute perfection! The opal looks lovely with your skin tone too. Wear and enjoy!

Emrldlvr

Rough_Rock
Such a gorgeous piece!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results