shape
carat
color
clarity

18kt/Plat vs. Platinum solitaire (AV CADS inside!)

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have fondly followed many beautiful projects from the sidelines and fully appreciated all the advice and guidance here!

I feel a bit nervous finalizing the design for our solitaire setting that’s been in-the-works for a few weeks! Maybe it’s the end of the process that has me on pins and needles?? Anyway....

Jonathan is sourcing our stone for our custom designed Stevie Grace setting that’s now listed on his AV page. It’s a G, 3.0 carats. I have always dreamed of a solitaire. It seems that sidestones distract me even though I love a good ol’ 3 stone! After many design tweeks here and there, we have finalized this setting! What a class act, and he NAILED IT. Totally nailed my vision!

I originally wanted satin finish 18kt YG with a platinum head, but the purist in me is saying stick to all platinum. I love the vintage romantic feel of the yellow, but all my celebration bands are white metals. Would the satin finish wear poorly on plat?

Can you give me your feedback? I know it’s personal preference but I would love to hear your thoughts! If you have a yellow gold solitaire and platinum or white gold bands, please post a photo for me!

Attachments

• 58B84C63-5E8A-41B8-A27B-CA4FB9EE9819.jpeg
    58B84C63-5E8A-41B8-A27B-CA4FB9EE9819.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 0700957C-FE7D-462A-8F04-DBDD681F394B.jpeg
    0700957C-FE7D-462A-8F04-DBDD681F394B.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 154E0243-95C3-421D-BC8B-466F2F0EA135.jpeg
    154E0243-95C3-421D-BC8B-466F2F0EA135.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 14
  • CE7750A1-6CF8-4CEA-99A3-56456B1D7832.jpeg
    CE7750A1-6CF8-4CEA-99A3-56456B1D7832.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 4BCD3CBE-2464-48AE-9788-C6D6A18D60CF.jpeg
    4BCD3CBE-2464-48AE-9788-C6D6A18D60CF.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 41B08E58-9A48-4565-A33D-58C774CC56B0.jpeg
    41B08E58-9A48-4565-A33D-58C774CC56B0.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 17

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a nice 6 prong solitaire, I think it looks great. The beading on the knife edge is a good touch, if you wanted to add a little something extra then you could do a surprise diamond/gemstone in the donut but its definitely not needed. I like the mixed metal look but that is purely personal taste, if you like the all plat then do all plat

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. They're both so beautiful! I personally love platinum for the durability, so that's what I would choose. With a white G colored stone, I think a white metal is a better match. If it was warmer in color I'd vote YG.

But really, they're both STUNNING and whatever you choose will be perfect!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look beautiful! It’s a tough call deciding on which metal to use.
Have you tried on solitaires in both metals to help you see which you prefer?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both, but you need to see which looks better on your skin.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@bright ice Thank you!!

@KKJohnson I find myself gravitating more towards the two-tone look recently, but I would stick to white metals (WG and Plat) before. Poor Jonathan must be going crazy after all the design changes, and now my metal indecision! I haven’t seen many gold solitaires with white metal bands.

@HappyNewLife thank you! I’m so glad you chimed in, your ring is knock out stunning!! Remind me again of your eternity band specs? It looks perfect with your stone!

@Bonfire I had and thought I was set on white metal when we began this journey, but after waiting a few months I found myself loving that brushed gold and milgrain vintage feel. I wish I had a more decisive mind!

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I do personally prefer the platinum

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like both, but you need to see which looks better on your skin.

I like them both too! I have a rose gold band that was my first piece of jewelry gifted to me by my dh, I have yellow gold spacer bands, and I have white gold and plat stacking bands. So I’m all over the place with my metals...

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I prefer the brushed yellow gold for its beautiful vintage-y vibe, so that's my vote. But the platinum would be a lovely choice, too. You can't go wrong either way.

P

PierreBear

Your project is amazing and looks like a dream ring! It's all down to personal preference but at least in the pictures, I tend to prefer the platinum.
Your design looks incredible and I hope you don't mind me just mentioning something that came to mind.... I'm not an owner of any knife edge bands but I was wondering if the beading will be uncomfortable when your fingers touch? It makes for a very interesting look but have you tried it on for wear ability? Or perhaps it's nothing to worry about since if it is uncomfortable, they can always smooth it out? Hope I didn't over step but just didn't want anything to go wrong for you!!!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold is definitely coming back in fashion, both rose and yellow. It's hard when every metal looks good on your skin!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s fine to ask for others to weigh in, but don’t let it sway you. Don’t choose one over the other because that’s what others prefer. Make your decision based on what your eyes like. I know it’s hard, I flip flop on decisions like this constantly.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring will be stunningly gorgeous no matter which, but I admit I do prefer the two-toned ... I think a satin-finish milgrained YG shank with that beautiful white diamond in platinum would be so romantic and elegant and timeless, and any of your plat celebration bands would pair beautifully with it. Good luck with your decision!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YG is my vote. i have to say, i actually really miss my original YG engagement ring. DH had my upgrade e-ring done in WG and while i do LOVE it, i love YG with my pale skintone.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I prefer the brushed yellow gold for its beautiful vintage-y vibe, so that's my vote. But the platinum would be a lovely choice, too. You can't go wrong either way.

Thank you! I feel exactly the same!

Your project is amazing and looks like a dream ring! It's all down to personal preference but at least in the pictures, I tend to prefer the platinum.
Your design looks incredible and I hope you don't mind me just mentioning something that came to mind.... I'm not an owner of any knife edge bands but I was wondering if the beading will be uncomfortable when your fingers touch? It makes for a very interesting look but have you tried it on for wear ability? Or perhaps it's nothing to worry about since if it is uncomfortable, they can always smooth it out? Hope I didn't over step but just didn't want anything to go wrong for you!!!!

Thank you for the kind words, @PierreBear! We went through a few design changes until we got to this beautiful piece! I found that the knife edge isn’t noticeable *to me* when worn with another band or bands. It almost blends in to the stack of that makes sense? Jonathan made it a softened knife edge with milgraining so maybe the sides ramping up are slightly curved out? No offense taken at all! :)) I’m the type that’s usually open to other ideas and suggestions!

Gold is definitely coming back in fashion, both rose and yellow. It's hard when every metal looks good on your skin!

@doberman So true! While I love the bold gold look, I could never pull off some of those dramatic pieces, but in a classic piece I’m totally down with gold! I just want it to play nicely with stacking and not clash of that makes sense?

It’s fine to ask for others to weigh in, but don’t let it sway you. Don’t choose one over the other because that’s what others prefer. Make your decision based on what your eyes like. I know it’s hard, I flip flop on decisions like this constantly.

@Bonfire It is so hard! I should have asked for just one CAD. One metal. No options. Lol

Your ring will be stunningly gorgeous no matter which, but I admit I do prefer the two-toned ... I think a satin-finish milgrained YG shank with that beautiful white diamond in platinum would be so romantic and elegant and timeless, and any of your plat celebration bands would pair beautifully with it. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you @marymm!

YG is my vote. i have to say, i actually really miss my original YG engagement ring. DH had my upgrade e-ring done in WG and while i do LOVE it, i love YG with my pale skintone.

@farrahlyn Maybe I’ll have to see if dh is up for buying one of each. :lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot of mixed metal stacks these days. I like the combo, my watch is 18k gold and steel and I love it.

Whatever metal you choose will look fabulous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer gold if you’re going to do that millgrain edge. If it were a plain Tiffany repro I’d prefer plat but the millgrain detail looks out of place in plat- to me.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do prefer the YG as well! I think that particular design suits it well!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YG shank all the way - it looks gorgeous with the platinum head and that beautiful HUGE! white diamond will pop even more against it. My sister has an E asscher in YG and the contrast is glorious.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both GORGEOUS! But I especially love the two-tone option. I think the YG will look amazing with that milgrain!

I know how you feel about the uncertainty of designing a setting. It's SO HARD to see a CAD and envision what that will look like IRL. I drove Jon nuts recently with 1,982 design changes myself when designing the ring in my avatar! LOL!

If it helps, here's a link to the thread on my ring. It shows the progression from CADs to finished product. Mine is 18k YG and it has LOTS of milgrain, so you'll be able to see how perfect Jon's milgrain is. I was torn between 18k YG and platinum for the longest time, but I'm so glad I went with the 18k YG. I love how it highlights the detail of the setting. :))
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-avc-moissy.240039/

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another team yellow gold here. What could be more classic than a yellow gold soli with that gorgeous stone?

Obviously your choices are great and great, so no going wrong!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bright ice Thank you!!

@KKJohnson I find myself gravitating more towards the two-tone look recently, but I would stick to white metals (WG and Plat) before. Poor Jonathan must be going crazy after all the design changes, and now my metal indecision! I haven’t seen many gold solitaires with white metal bands.

@HappyNewLife thank you! I’m so glad you chimed in, your ring is knock out stunning!! Remind me again of your eternity band specs? It looks perfect with your stone!

@Bonfire I had and thought I was set on white metal when we began this journey, but after waiting a few months I found myself loving that brushed gold and milgrain vintage feel. I wish I had a more decisive mind!

it's .27ctw, so 9 x 3 point stones. It's a blatant copy of a Tiffany ring, but about 1/3 the cost ;-)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestion is to set it in the cheapest YG solitaire Jonathan offers as a temp setting. If it leaves you longing for platinum then go with the platinum option. If you find that you love the YG then reset into the beautiful milgrain knife edge.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer one color, all white or all yellow, I think it is more classic, more timeless. white + yellow, looks mismatched to me, not cohesive. If you ever feel like mixing metal, just wear a different metal band.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I prefer gold if you’re going to do that millgrain edge. If it were a plain Tiffany repro I’d prefer plat but the millgrain detail looks out of place in plat- to me.

Thanks for the input, @Niel! :))

I do prefer the YG as well! I think that particular design suits it well!

@SimoneDi I also find myself gravitating towards that as well.

YG shank all the way - it looks gorgeous with the platinum head and that beautiful HUGE! white diamond will pop even more against it. My sister has an E asscher in YG and the contrast is glorious.

@foxinsox Your sister’s ring sounds beautiful! If I liked fancy shapes on my hand, I’d be all over those deep stepcut pools of shimmer! Alas, I found out the hard way that I can’t stand when my ring would be slightly tilted and not be perfectly positioned all the time. OCD much? Ugh. Lol

They are both GORGEOUS! But I especially love the two-tone option. I think the YG will look amazing with that milgrain!

I know how you feel about the uncertainty of designing a setting. It's SO HARD to see a CAD and envision what that will look like IRL. I drove Jon nuts recently with 1,982 design changes myself when designing the ring in my avatar! LOL!

If it helps, here's a link to the thread on my ring. It shows the progression from CADs to finished product. Mine is 18k YG and it has LOTS of milgrain, so you'll be able to see how perfect Jon's milgrain is. I was torn between 18k YG and platinum for the longest time, but I'm so glad I went with the 18k YG. I love how it highlights the detail of the setting. :))

@Irishgrrrl your ring is stunning!! That beadwork is perfect!! Congrats on such a beautiful piece!! Did Jonathan make the bands as well? I am hemming over just having him make a band since he will have the dimensions to make them the same thickness.

Another team yellow gold here. What could be more classic than a yellow gold soli with that gorgeous stone?

Obviously your choices are great and great, so no going wrong!

@tuckie thank you!

it's .27ctw, so 9 x 3 point stones. It's a blatant copy of a Tiffany ring, but about 1/3 the cost ;-)

@HappyNewLife It’s perfect!! I’m so close to spazzing over the thickness of every eternity band profile I have found now - will it rub? Will they away at each other?? And no, I haven’t even started that project yet. My poor hubs.... :lol:

My suggestion is to set it in the cheapest YG solitaire Jonathan offers as a temp setting. If it leaves you longing for platinum then go with the platinum option. If you find that you love the YG then reset into the beautiful milgrain knife edge.

@PintoBean Confession time.....

I was the owner of a CvB Jovyn for a short period of time. We purchased the sample Caysie had available with the intent of setting a stone we had found locally. Unfortunately the stone didn’t tick enough boxes and we passed on it. I do have photos from when I had the 18kt Jovyn somewhere though! I’ll see if I can find them... I am in the camp where I equally enjoy both metals. I wish I had a pull one way to make it easier. We designed this setting and Jonathan has allowed us to name it after our sweet baby girl, so this is a one and done ring for me. I do have another hand free for the blinging in the future! Ha!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer one color, all white or all yellow, I think it is more classic, more timeless. white + yellow, looks mismatched to me, not cohesive. If you ever feel like mixing metal, just wear a different metal band.

So white metal with white metal head, and yellow metal with yellow metal head?

I have tried to mix in my yellow gold twist band stackers in with my white metal pieces. I was surprised at how much I liked the contrast! Who knew!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wait wait ... I thought it was 1,981 design changes? :bigsmile: :twisted2::lol:

Jus playin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results