shape
carat
color
clarity

18kt/Plat vs. Platinum solitaire (AV CADS inside!)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input, @Niel! :))

@SimoneDi I also find myself gravitating towards that as well.

@foxinsox Your sister’s ring sounds beautiful! If I liked fancy shapes on my hand, I’d be all over those deep stepcut pools of shimmer! Alas, I found out the hard way that I can’t stand when my ring would be slightly tilted and not be perfectly positioned all the time. OCD much? Ugh. Lol

@Irishgrrrl your ring is stunning!! That beadwork is perfect!! Congrats on such a beautiful piece!! Did Jonathan make the bands as well? I am hemming over just having him make a band since he will have the dimensions to make them the same thickness.

@tuckie thank you!

@HappyNewLife It’s perfect!! I’m so close to spazzing over the thickness of every eternity band profile I have found now - will it rub? Will they away at each other?? And no, I haven’t even started that project yet. My poor hubs.... :lol:

@PintoBean Confession time.....

I was the owner of a CvB Jovyn for a short period of time. We purchased the sample Caysie had available with the intent of setting a stone we had found locally. Unfortunately the stone didn’t tick enough boxes and we passed on it. I do have photos from when I had the 18kt Jovyn somewhere though! I’ll see if I can find them... I am in the camp where I equally enjoy both metals. I wish I had a pull one way to make it easier. We designed this setting and Jonathan has allowed us to name it after our sweet baby girl, so this is a one and done ring for me. I do have another hand free for the blinging in the future! Ha!

Thanks @KiloSierra ! :mrgreen2:

Nope, Jon didn’t make the bands. The bead-set band is my original wedding band, which is from Fay Cullen. The baguette and round band is one that I got recently from LOGR. But I have no doubt that Jon could make whatever kind of band you’d like, and do an excellent job of it! And you’re right that you’d have the advantage of Jon being able to make it match your setting. One stop shopping is so nice! LOL! :lol:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait wait ... I thought it was 1,981 design changes? :bigsmile: :twisted2::lol:

Jus playin.

Pshhhhh . . . please! It was more like 1,982,000 and you know it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean Confession time.....

I was the owner of a CvB Jovyn for a short period of time. We purchased the sample Caysie had available with the intent of setting a stone we had found locally. Unfortunately the stone didn’t tick enough boxes and we passed on it. I do have photos from when I had the 18kt Jovyn somewhere though! I’ll see if I can find them... I am in the camp where I equally enjoy both metals. I wish I had a pull one way to make it easier. We designed this setting and Jonathan has allowed us to name it after our sweet baby girl, so this is a one and done ring for me. I do have another hand free for the blinging in the future! Ha!
Since you don't miss the YG jovyn then go plat on plat!!!!! :appl:

Q

Queenie60

I vote for Platinum.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple photos of the 18kt plat Jovyn. Unfortunately the setting went back to Caysie, but she is nothing short of a design artist! I am hoping to move forward with a new project with her later this year!

*these are my postpartum sausage fingers. Bouncing back from #3 is taking much longer this time around.:cry2:
D9CCF55A-4D89-41ED-92EC-4B9EE3E04AB9.jpeg 8EE98DBE-517A-49CF-BC5A-0F907E4473CA.jpeg B55EBFD1-9851-46D5-BF32-F33E526B600C.jpeg 5DB78537-8EA8-4A88-9C76-1BB0B08045CD.jpeg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple photos of the 18kt plat Jovyn. Unfortunately the setting went back to Caysie, but she is nothing short of a design artist! I am hoping to move forward with a new project with her later this year!

*these are my postpartum sausage fingers. Bouncing back from #3 is taking much longer this time around.:cry2:
D9CCF55A-4D89-41ED-92EC-4B9EE3E04AB9.jpeg 8EE98DBE-517A-49CF-BC5A-0F907E4473CA.jpeg B55EBFD1-9851-46D5-BF32-F33E526B600C.jpeg 5DB78537-8EA8-4A88-9C76-1BB0B08045CD.jpeg

OK, this just confirms my initial thought. DEFINITELY the two-tone! That YG looks absolutely stunning on you! :appl:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the two tone but I'm biased :) one thing to consider is how it will go with your other jewelry. I found myself buying some additional two tone or yg stuff recently b/c I previously mainly wore white metal. You really can't go wrong either way though :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with platinum and I will tell you why. This is from experience being married a really long time and seeing popularity of gold go in and out. It was out for maybe around 20 years. EVERYONE (almost!) got yellow gold back when I got married. But then the trend changed to white metals to the degree that I saw my daughter, her friends, and all my young teacher friends go with white metals. I initially came to PS to learn about diamond quality, because my husband offered to get me a new diamond ring for an anniversary as I desired to change to platinum since white metal looks best on me.

But here is what I have learned. Set the e-ring in platinum. The shank is thin so it's not like it's standing out. The diamond is what's going to stand out in your case, for sure! Platinum is a neutral, so if you want to wear other metal bands with it, you certainly can! I love seeing a platinum e-ring, rose or yg band in the middle, and maybe diamond plat band at the bottom. Or really, any arrangement. But I think keeping the e-ring platinum gives one the greatest flexibility and allows you to add any color bands to it.

So is Jon having an AVR cut for you? That's incredible to think of a 3 ct G AVR!:love: That should be the largest high color AVR in existence, to my knowledge. I just hope it doesn't cause me to get DSS AND HCDS (Higher Color Diamond Syndrome) after seeing yours! lol!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with platinum and I will tell you why. This is from experience being married a really long time and seeing popularity of gold go in and out. It was out for maybe around 20 years. EVERYONE (almost!) got yellow gold back when I got married. But then the trend changed to white metals to the degree that I saw my daughter, her friends, and all my young teacher friends go with white metals. I initially came to PS to learn about diamond quality, because my husband offered to get me a new diamond ring for an anniversary as I desired to change to platinum since white metal looks best on me.

But here is what I have learned. Set the e-ring in platinum. The shank is thin so it's not like it's standing out. The diamond is what's going to stand out in your case, for sure! Platinum is a neutral, so if you want to wear other metal bands with it, you certainly can! I love seeing a platinum e-ring, rose or yg band in the middle, and maybe diamond plat band at the bottom. Or really, any arrangement. But I think keeping the e-ring platinum gives one the greatest flexibility and allows you to add any color bands to it.

So is Jon having an AVR cut for you? That's incredible to think of a 3 ct G AVR!:love: That should be the largest high color AVR in existence, to my knowledge. I just hope it doesn't cause me to get DSS AND HCDS (Higher Color Diamond Syndrome) after seeing yours! lol!

I think DS may be right. I am in absolute LOVE with yellow gold at the moment. OBSESSED, lol! And I think the yellow gold shank is stunning. But platinum does go with any color of metal so you can always add a yg band (or two or three!). Something about an ering in platinum is traditional, classic, and thought of as the best metal for jewelry. I had the same dilemma as you when setting my stone and I chose all platinum. However, I always pair it with a yummy buttery yg band so I can enjoy the contrast of metals and the richness of the yg.

Not sure this helps or just makes the decision harder! Either way it is going to be killer!!! :lickout::lickout:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a project just beginning with Caysie that will be 2 tone: yellow head & plat shank. My jewelry is 100% plat with the exception of 2 rose gold pieces (DBTY & Pendant). I feel that plat is such a standard, timeless metal color. I'd definitely go with a plat shank. You can then accessorize your stack with your different metal color choices of the day. And I too, cannot wait to see your stone, how gorgeous!!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OK, this just confirms my initial thought. DEFINITELY the two-tone! That YG looks absolutely stunning on you! :appl:

Thanks Irishgrrrl! Funny thing is that I forgot I even had these photos in my phone still!

I like the two tone but I'm biased :) one thing to consider is how it will go with your other jewelry. I found myself buying some additional two tone or yg stuff recently b/c I previously mainly wore white metal. You really can't go wrong either way though :appl:

@bludiva Adding a little extra bling to mix in is always a great remedy! Love it!

DS, for fear of being flogged and burned at the stake, I actually prefer the symmetry and scintillation of a MRB! Gasp. I know, please don’t hurt me. So we are going super ideal! My DH also likes the fact that they exhibit arrows, which he would rather call sabers, since he’s 10th Mountain Infantry. He has to give everything a military spin if he can. :lol:

Thank you for your input, I hear what your saying in regards to ease of flexibilit, and maybe I should go for platinum because of durability and longevity. I am freaking out about hearing that the rubbing of platinum and gold will eventually wear the gold away!

I am eyeballing some cvb bands right now, in platinum, so maybe plat is the way to go.

Should I keep the satin finish then? Or go polished?

I think DS may be right. I am in absolute LOVE with yellow gold at the moment. OBSESSED, lol! And I think the yellow gold shank is stunning. But platinum does go with any color of metal so you can always add a yg band (or two or three!). Something about an ering in platinum is traditional, classic, and thought of as the best metal for jewelry. I had the same dilemma as you when setting my stone and I chose all platinum. However, I always pair it with a yummy buttery yg band so I can enjoy the contrast of metals and the richness of the yg.

Not sure this helps or just makes the decision harder! Either way it is going to be killer!!! :lickout::lickout:

When I think about it, I am starting to lean more to platinum. I found some bands that I am hoping to add with it that are platinum. :love:

I have a project just beginning with Caysie that will be 2 tone: yellow head & plat shank. My jewelry is 100% plat with the exception of 2 rose gold pieces (DBTY & Pendant). I feel that plat is such a standard, timeless metal color. I'd definitely go with a plat shank. You can then accessorize your stack with your different metal color choices of the day. And I too, cannot wait to see your stone, how gorgeous!!

@sarahb That sounds beautiful!! I can’t wait to see your finished piece!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, rings will scratch over time and either need to be repolished or resatined (lol, not really a word!). So I would ask if redoing the satin finish over time removes any more metal than polishing. I think maybe it would not, but I have never seen that question asked. If it doesn't, then I think you are free to go either way. For me personally, I am not sure I'd do it, because all my bands wouldn't have that finish. But it's not like you're stuck either way! You can always change to the other!

Ok, I assumed you were going through Jon for AV stones! H&A rounds are beautiful, and I like the cost of them, too! I look forward to seeing your new ring!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got married almost 40 years ago. There was hardly any white metal around then, so all my jewellery was in y/g.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I started getting platinum jewellery. I’ve recently had a trilogy reset in to platinum, and my next ring will be platinum. I think gold colour trends come and go, but platinum is always a classic.

Ultimately, only you can decide, and anyone’s else’s opinion is just that. I’m sure whatever you decide, it’ll be beautiful.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Coming back to post that we finally decided to go all platinum, to bump hips with two CVB bands that will be worn as a set! :love:

I was telling @Rhino that this decision was almost as bad as choosing our daughter’s name. :lol:

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the yellow gold. My e-ring setting is a platinum knife-edge exactly like the one you posted, minus the milgrain. While I love a classic solitaire, I got so bored with the all-white metal look. Since I didn’t want to reset, my solution was to buy the Cartier XS trinity band to pair with it to warm up the look. I’m in love with it again now.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
UPDATE! This project is longer than the Harry Potter series...Jonathan is one of the most patient and kind souls around.

We are now trying to tweak this setting to be 4-double-prong setting, keeping the open scalloped tiffany-esque prong stems, sort of like the 4 prong novo!

I have been asked if i want polished micro milgrain or to brush it like the platinum band. (Prongs would be polished, the band is going to be brushed. Regarding the milgrain is there a big visual difference? I was up way too long and up way to early searching for examples of brushed/polished milgrain!

:sleep:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results