shape
carat
color
clarity

14k tulipset or 4 prong platinum - which is safer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpyoung

Rough_Rock
I've narrowed down my setting to two choices which fit my budget: an all-14k white gold tulipset style and a simple 4-prong tiffany (we didn't want to consider a 6-prong.) In which setting is the diamond likely to be more secure? I realize that platinum is stronger, but the 14k tulipset crown has more metal and therefore might offer more protection. We can't figure this out! Thanks for your help.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
How large is your diamond?

cpyoung

Rough_Rock
It's a .85 carat diamond, about 6.2 mm around. What do you think?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lawmax
wavey.gif
How's life?
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but from everything I've read, my choice would be to go with platinum. Is there no way to find a tulip setting in platinum?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
It's great, thanks. Not as exciting as yours though.
wink.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I used to use Tulipsettings before they were a Stuller product. They originated with Leser mountings who sold out the design to Stuller. I don't dislike Tulip settings, but I don't think they have any durabilty advantage over 4 or 6 prong standard settings. While they are meaty on the sides, they are not especially heavy at the base where the prongs come together. This is a crucail zone where overall strength will be noticed as far as keeping stones tight in the setting.There are a nifty variation in design, but I don't think they represent a step forward or backward in strength or safety. They are a viable design option and that's all.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results