shape
carat
color
clarity

14k tulipset or 4 prong platinum - which is safer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpyoung

Rough_Rock
I've narrowed down my setting to two choices which fit my budget: an all-14k white gold tulipset style and a simple 4-prong tiffany (we didn't want to consider a 6-prong.) In which setting is the diamond likely to be more secure? I realize that platinum is stronger, but the 14k tulipset crown has more metal and therefore might offer more protection. We can't figure this out! Thanks for your help.

How large is your diamond?

It's a .85 carat diamond, about 6.2 mm around. What do you think?

Hi Lawmax
wavey.gif
How's life?
smile.gif

I'm not an expert, but from everything I've read, my choice would be to go with platinum. Is there no way to find a tulip setting in platinum?

It's great, thanks. Not as exciting as yours though.
wink.gif

Hey, I've thought otherwise...
smile.gif

I used to use Tulipsettings before they were a Stuller product. They originated with Leser mountings who sold out the design to Stuller. I don't dislike Tulip settings, but I don't think they have any durabilty advantage over 4 or 6 prong standard settings. While they are meaty on the sides, they are not especially heavy at the base where the prongs come together. This is a crucail zone where overall strength will be noticed as far as keeping stones tight in the setting.There are a nifty variation in design, but I don't think they represent a step forward or backward in strength or safety. They are a viable design option and that's all.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP