shape
carat
color
clarity

14k Gold Cameo

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, gentle reader, Stracci has finally found something she has been searching for.
Years ago, I knew a sophisticated lady who had a big gold cameo. I always hoped to have one for my own.
Behold today's lucky find.
And even sweeter was the price.
Thrift store, 50 cents.
IMG_20200117_151500009.jpg IMG_20200117_151143800.jpg

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if it's 15k.....
:)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning and with a bonus ring to wear as a statement pendant.
enjoy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You go on with your bad self! Seriously you are like a vintage jewelry deal magnet. I'm so glad you were able to find something you've been looking for and at such a steal!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh they’re so beautiful! You have amazing taste.

I wish they were more appreciated these days. I love them!
The pendant is probably pinchbeck. The one with floral details is gold filled with patina in the carving, which I have never tried to clean. So I was very happy to add a new one to the family!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad it found you....it’s beautiful!!!!! It’s ALL beautiful!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad it found you....it’s beautiful!!!!! It’s ALL beautiful!!

Me: "The thrift stores must think pins are junk, and only old ladies like them. But I like them!"
DH: " Because you are an old lady."
Hmmmmph!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new cameo, omg! I recently saw one large one like that in the estate section of a jewelry store. Gorgeous.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me: "The thrift stores must think pins are junk, and only old ladies like them. But I like them!"
DH: " Because you are an old lady."
Hmmmmph!

That is hysterical! He sounds a lot like my husband. One night I said to him "you know I feel like you never look at me" just to see what he would say and his response?

"You wouldn't either" He is such a jerk, of course he is only joking but still!

Back to cameos, I saw quite a few at the pawn shops yesterday AND I even spotted a camphor glass pendant with a diamond accent, so pretty!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AND I even spotted a camphor glass pendant with a diamond accent, so pretty!
I never see these! I have a sterling one, but I want gold!
You didn't buy it? I'm gonna send you some money to go pawn shopping for me!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never see these! I have a sterling one, but I want gold!
You didn't buy it? I'm gonna send you some money to go pawn shopping for me!

I didn't because I got all caught up in looking at rings and forgot about it! Maybe I'll go back, I have no idea how much they want for it.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Stracci2000, could really learn a thing or two if I came shopping with you! :mrgreen2: Think distance is a problem as I am in the UK. :lol-2:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That was 50 cents well spent!
Love,
The Lady with the Cameo Avatar

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was 50 cents well spent!
Love,
The Lady with the Cameo Avatar

Yes! Thrift stores and yard sales are my hunting grounds. It's like sport for me!
Tell us about your cameo, @glitterata!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautifully detailed @stracci2000 , what a fabulous find.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Thrift stores and yard sales are my hunting grounds. It's like sport for me!
Tell us about your cameo, @glitterata!

Me too!

Mine was an online auction find many moons ago, when the world was young, cameos were out of fashion, gold was cheap, and bargains were to be had. She’s a shell cameo of a maenad, probably mid-19th century. I love cameos and have collected quite a few over the years. They come in and out of fashion—I think the last time they were in was the late 1980s—and I think we’re due for a revival soon.

Brooches can be a great bargain because people associate them with old ladies, as your husband says. I just embrace my inner (and, let’s face it, outer) old lady and enjoy them.

Your 50c-er is an impressive buy! Really nice carving to go with that solid gold mounting. I would say Edwardian—do you think so too?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ed
Me too!

Mine was an online auction find many moons ago, when the world was young, cameos were out of fashion, gold was cheap, and bargains were to be had. She’s a shell cameo of a maenad, probably mid-19th century. I love cameos and have collected quite a few over the years. They come in and out of fashion—I think the last time they were in was the late 1980s—and I think we’re due for a revival soon.

Brooches can be a great bargain because people associate them with old ladies, as your husband says. I just embrace my inner (and, let’s face it, outer) old lady and enjoy them.

Your 50c-er is an impressive buy! Really nice carving to go with that solid gold mounting. I would say Edwardian—do you think so too?

Your cameo is beautiful!
I'm trying to do more research about them. I just found this web site that shows the most stunning cameos I have ever seen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results