shape
carat
color
clarity

$14.5K - 1.72 Round E VS2

wackytube

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

I almost purchased this diamond but after browsing this forum I started putting it in the HCA and found it has a score of 4.9. Should I run away?

I’m not buying it from Ritani but they have the same stone on their website so I‘ll link it here. Should I buy an Ideal-Scope beginner kit?

GIA Report: https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/GIA-6361151069/certificate.pdf

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Run. The video showed a dud of a diamond. It looks so dark, and didn’t have good light return at all.
Just to add a little more specific details: The table is huge on this diamond and the crown angle quite low so it’s going to look very flat from the side. The pavilion angle is actually a bit deep. There can be decent 60/60 diamonds, which have more spread and greater white light return and with less colored light, but the diamond you linked to just isn’t very attractive.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely do not buy this. It isnt well cut and has a very flat top. Anything that scores over 2 (sometimes 2.5) on the HCA shouldn't be considered if you are looking for a well cut stone

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Also, you never want a diamond with a table larger than the depth. Additionally, you do not want an E colored diamond that has medium blue fluorescence unless it is priced at a discount (and you also don’t mind it).

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Additionally, you do not want an E colored diamond that has medium blue fluorescence unless it is priced at a discount (and you also don’t mind it).

This is not always true - I have an E colored emerald cut with strong blue and a D round with strong and neither of them have any deleterious effects due to the fluor. Milky / oily / hazy diamonds are the exception, not the rule. Due to long standing biases, they do tend to sell for a discount however.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry I offended you, I apologize if I didn’t phrase it better. Colorless stones with Med and higher should be sold at a discount so I’m just pointing out something they should keep in mind so they don’t overpay. I didn’t mention anything with regard to hazy/milky/oily.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Shiny_Rock
OP, if you post your budget and preferences (size, color etc), the experts may be able to find you a better stone. Look around a bit more so that you get a super stunning diamond.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.