shape
carat
color
clarity

10th wedding anniversary holiday destination

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was dead set on us going to the Maldives for our 10th wedding anniversary (July this year). Hubby just dropped the bomb on me and said that he'd rather go somewhere we haven't been before. Given there is not much time left to book, could you pls offer some advice as to where we should go and what we should do. Our criteria are:

1) somewhere quiet and not too touristy (we love Europe but it so crowded at that time of year)

2) somewhere with excellent food and wine

3) the weather must be warm (hate the cold, yikes!).

4) beautiful scenery

5) preferably with history

6) has a nice hotel (5 star, it is after all our 10th anniversary
2.gif
)

7) beach would be nice but not absolutely necessary

8) hate to rush around and get up early in the morning

9) has to be something quite out of the ordinary and something that we'd remember forever...

not necessarily in that order.

All comments and advice are welcome.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rent a house in Sydney''s Palm Beach (way up on the Northern beaches and near a state park; also near Sydney city itself).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 10:07:36 AM
Author: Harriet
Rent a house in Sydney''s Palm Beach (way up on the Northern beaches and near a state park; also near Sydney city itself).
I was in syndey in august and I''d hardly call it "warm". It''s the middle of winter there.... btw not last august, we''re talking august 1983 LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
or what about dubai or rent a cottage somewhere out of the way in the south of france? Its europe but you don''t have to go to london, paris, or rome.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sydney's winters are nothing!
1.gif
Take in from an ex-Sydneysider. What about a luxury cruise?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seychelles or one of the Tahitian Islands. Or Kauai!!!!! Where have you been so we don't suggest one of those places?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Cehra, Harriet and Skippy. All wonderful suggestions.

Skippy, ;et's see...I've been to Greece (done my island hopping), Italy, Belgium, France, Switzerland, most of Asia, some parts of the USA, Australia (Perth, Sydney, Melbourne), New Zealand (Auckland, South Island), Barbados, St Lucia, Mexico, not to forget the Maldives...I think that's it. Hubby has been to most of the above except for Greece, Italy, Switzerland and he's also been to India, and he's from the US orignally.

Sorry, Skippy, I am keeping you from yr studying. Get back to it, girl!
1.gif

We'd love to go to Europe, perhaps Spain, but want to go somewhere not so touristy and crowded.

(oh, we've been to Hawaii already).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Seychelles sounds great, so does Tahiti. I''ll look into them. Thx, Skippy.

Dubai or the S of France sounds great too, Cehra, but won''t they be a tad crowded?

Harriet, unfortunately, i am really really prone to sea-sickness
8.gif
. Lovely idea though.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw this I thought of you...says for honeymoon''s but totally applicable for 10 year anniversary trip as well. And I don''t think I saw many of these places on the list of places you''d already been.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/pf/0703/gallery.honeymoon_hotspots.moneymag/index.html

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
how about a wildlife preserve in kenya? i hear its absolutely beautiful

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

1980 list of the "10 Best Overlooked Travel Sites in the World", according to legendary travel journalist Lowell Thomas:

1) The Brooks Range country of northern Alaska
2) The Antarctic continent, especially the area known as the Antarctic Peninsula
3) The South Island of New Zealand
4) Arnhem Land, Australia
5) The Inner Range and valleys of New Guinea
6) Sumatra
7) Borneo
8) Volcanoes of Kamchatka
9) Arctic Siberia
10) Ituri Forest, Zaire

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you been to Austria? I guess it would be crowded. DH and I absolutely loved it there. We visited a tiny town called Hallstat. We never wanted to leave there. Just fell in love with it.

Linda

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... How about Viet Nam, with Ha Noi as a base? Americans have such bad associations with the place, but it''s so upbeat, exciting, beautiful, and Ha Noi has a gorgeous lilt to it that makes it totally relaxing too.

OK, let''s see about your criteria:

1) somewhere quiet and not too touristy (we love Europe but it so crowded at that time of year)

Check!

2) somewhere with excellent food and wine

Check! (well, the food is freaking GREAT!... the wine is all imported of course)

3) the weather must be warm (hate the cold, yikes!).

Check!

4) beautiful scenery

CHECKCHECKCHECK! (I''ve been everywhere, and VN is in my top 5 ''most beautiful countries''

5) preferably with history

Check!

6) has a nice hotel (5 star, it is after all our 10th anniversary )

Check! (... out the Sofitel Metropole in Ha Noi)

7) beach would be nice but not absolutely necessary

Check! (but you''d have to go south to, say Da Nang)

8) hate to rush around and get up early in the morning

Check!

9) has to be something quite out of the ordinary and something that we''d remember forever...

Definitely CHECK!

Just an idea.
35.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Another idea: have you been to Cuba? Are Americans allowed to go yet? (You can always just fly via Montreal!) It''s gorgeous, historic, and incredibly interesting. The beaches are beyond gorgeous.

Biggest drawback? The food. Cuban cuisine is awesome, but not the stuff they feed to tourists. Plus, the hotels are hit and miss since they''re all owned by the state.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I see you''re from Singapore. So I guess Viet Nam wouldn''t be all that exciting for you what with it being pretty close. I thought about suggesting Borneo, but I guess that''s even LESS exciting!

That might mean Cuba is MORE exciting though?

I was in Singapore last year by the way and loved it. I know a lot of people think it''s weird that it''s so clean and orderly but frankly? I thought it was SO great! Especially after emerging from the Malaysian jungles.

Great food too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scarlet, wow, thanks for that. Very interesting. Will certainly look into it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYCSparkle, the wildlife preserve is supposed to be really incredible. We'll certainly check it out.

And so many other great ideas, thank you! How exotic! We're very intrigued!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linda, we''d LOVE to go to Austria. In fact, I''ve always wanted to go there. Talk about history and culture, particularly Mozart! Not to mention those lovely pastries! Yummm
30.gif

It might be very crowded at that time of the year though. I''ll need to check it out.

Thanks.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Independent Gal,

I am from Vietnam originally! Thanks for the suggestion and wonderful compliments! We''ve thought about VN too but are not sure if the hotels are luxurious enough (sorry, hope i am not coming off snobbish) for our 10th anniversary. It is certainly a place that we do visit and would love to come back often.

Cuba is also very interesting.

I agree with you abt Singapore. We love living here.

Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 10:58:40 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Oh! I see you''re from Singapore. So I guess Viet Nam wouldn''t be all that exciting for you what with it being pretty close. I thought about suggesting Borneo, but I guess that''s even LESS exciting!

That might mean Cuba is MORE exciting though?

I was in Singapore last year by the way and loved it. I know a lot of people think it''s weird that it''s so clean and orderly but frankly? I thought it was SO great! Especially after emerging from the Malaysian jungles.

Great food too.
Thank you!
1.gif
I miss the food terribly, but the heat and humidity kill me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the heat and humidity get me sometimes, but hey, there is no such thing as perfection, right?
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sydney.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
August is not too far away now, Harriet.

NYC has some amazing restaurants though, doesn''t it? We loved it there when we visited a few yrs back.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love Sydney too, but then, we also love so many other places.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
New York's Chinese food doesn't compare to Singapore's. For one, there's no fine dining. Also, there's no hawker food. Boo hoo hoo. I do love it here, though.

Btw, do you know of any nice resorts in Koh Samui?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8.gif

That's great. NYC is really amazing. I love the fact that you can just walk around and most things are within easy reach, not to mention those amazing shops and designer names. We don't have a HW here, you know that, right?
8.gif

I am sorry I can't remember the name of the place we stayed at. It was some Thai sounding name. Koh Samui is not a luxurious holiday destination, it is really more for party animals. I remember reading that you like to chill out, not sure that Koh Samui is good for that. What is yr intended purpose?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it that I can walk to Harry Winston, Graff, Cartier and Tiffany.

I just want to chill out. Maybe the 4 Seasons Langkawi or the Banyan Tree Bintan?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, harriet. Sorry I was out of the loop for a while, what have you decided on yr honeymoon destination and where are you having yr receptions now? Just curious.

(Also, i know I still owe you some replies, like the tailor''s name. I will get round to it. What else am I supposed to get back to you about? I swear, it''s old age creeping up on me
1.gif
, I don''t have a good memory like I used to).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You lucky so and so!
3.gif
. I wish we had a Graff here too.

Phuket is one of our all time favs. They have the Banyan Tree there too. Amazing!

Or how about Hua Hin? Best spas ever, I believe. Never been but would love to.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 11:44:50 PM
Author: lienTN
Btw, harriet. Sorry I was out of the loop for a while, what have you decided on yr honeymoon destination and where are you having yr receptions now? Just curious.

(Also, i know I still owe you some replies, like the tailor's name. I will get round to it. What else am I supposed to get back to you about? I swear, it's old age creeping up on me
1.gif
, I don't have a good memory like I used to).
Probably the Maldives, Jean Georges (NY) and the Raffles.
I found a tailor, Coloc. Have you heard anything about it?
Btw, the 4 Seasons Koh Samui is stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results