shape
carat
color
clarity

10 or 15 pointers for a stand alone eternity size 4?

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I'm planning to upgrade my 5 stone to an eternity in the future. I have a really hard time figuring out whether I want 10 or 15 pointers. Help me decide for my size 4 finger?

Also, what setting do you find is the most comfortable for an eternity? (not channel set) I'm considering shared prong and bar set.

Here are pictures to help you decide.

Pave band, 1 pointers:
cimg1280.jpg

5 stone, 15 pointers, 4 prong per stone:
CIMG1227.jpg
CIMG1283.jpg

5 stone with pave band:
CIMG1275.jpg

Half eternity I no longer own, 7 pointers:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l36/green_orchid/halfeternity_zpsb1a851fd.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For a stand alone eternity, definitely, get the biggest diamond possible for the most comfortable setting. If it is a choice between 10-pt and 15-pt, definitely go with 15-pt. The 15-pt size looks great on you, and I suspect 20-pt will also do. Key is the setting design which is the most comfortable.

My eternity has 15-pt diamonds, and it is very comfortable. I wear it with my E-ring. If I wear it as a stand alone ring, I would go with bigger size diamonds. My setting may look like it has a little more metal from the photo. In real life, it does not. In fact, I feel that the extra metal, if any, is more safe. You may wait for others to help suggest other setting choices.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both Yssie and I have 15 pt eternity bands. Mine is a shared prong eternity which I find very comfortable to wear.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of getting an eternity band for a while, and was debating the same thing! I wear a 4.25. The 15 pointers look very substantial on your hand, so if you like a bit more of a blingy look I'd go for the .15. IIRC, I think yssie has an eternity band with .15 and she wears about a 4 so you could check her thread out. The .10 stones will look great on your small finger as well, but if this is a stand alone ring I'd live a little and go for the .15 stones! It will look amazing on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely 15 pointers for a stand-alone band.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1376151130|3500284 said:

Quick update--I actually sold that 15pt bead set band in favor of a 15 pt shared prong one. I never started a thread on it but it has made an appearance in some other threads of mine :)) :

img_0687_-_version_3.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1376152314|3500289 said:

Quick update--I actually sold that 15pt bead set band in favor of a 15 pt shared prong one. I never started a thread on it but it has made an appearance in some other threads of mine :)) :

:love: :love: Could it possibly be even more beautiful than your bead set?! I absolutely love it and have no idea how I missed it! I actually think that I may remember you selling the other band though now that I think of it...db? I really can't keep up with everyones gorgeous collections! You don't feel the need to part with your gorgeous French cut do you?? :naughty:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1376154040|3500300 said:
mom2boys|1376152314|3500289 said:

:love: :love: Could it possibly be even more beautiful than your bead set?! I absolutely love it and have no idea how I missed it! I actually think that I may remember you selling the other band though now that I think of it...db? I really can't keep up with everyones gorgeous collections! You don't feel the need to part with your gorgeous French cut do you?? :naughty:

Christina--Thanks so much! Your collection is growing while mine is shrinking (aka, consolidation)! I think my VC french cut band will go with me to the grave, LOL!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the 15 PT and uprong , very comfortable!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, it's overwhelmingly in favor of 15 pointers!

Many PSers have the Uprong setting, but my worry is that I would damage the sides of the stones or that it would get dirty very fast? I plan to to take it off at home (so most of the time in my case, stay-at-home mom!).

Fancy Diamond - Your set is astounding! :love: Do you know how thick your eternity is?

mom2boys - I love the BGD bead set and now your reset is just as beautiful! Who did you get from? Do you feel like they are as sturdy? Are they the same thickness?

junebug17 - I think I WANT the 15 pointers more, but I worry it won't be comfortable! Jewelers in my area do not carry these nice eternities.

Here are some I'm considering. I prefer the "boxy" eternities vs the scalloped look (like my former half eternity).

This looks like a low u-prong:
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_127&products_id=24858

And this one is really nice, from js_diamond (she bought it from IDJ):
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-wedding-band.110606/

I really love this one from Tiffany, but they don't make this style anymore and I wouldn't buy from them anyway:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...-Band/30253518_8tzSbw#!i=2604462959&k=V5SQPGh

The only one close to it is this James Allen one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-r...00ctw-bar-set-diamond-eternity-ring-item-3487

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Right after I posted I got an email from James Allen saying that their setting that resembles the Tiffany bar set the most is their shared prong. So I think shared prong it has to be!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think i'm late to the party - but I'd go 15 pointers on your lovely tiny hand. It will look like the diamonds are far larger, but at that size, they should still be comfortable between your fingers.

I have a fat hand at size 8 and my .12's are still substantial enough if I just wear my IDJ 1/2 eternity. on your finger, the 15's should really have quite the impact!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Enerchi! Your half eternity is really nice! I just realized that we are Canadian neighbours, I'm in Quebec. :)

I think I'm going to go with a 2/3 eternity after all, probably eleven 0.15 stones. My rings don't spin much, it will LOOK like an eternity, I won't stress over banging the bottom stones and it gives me room to resize when I eventually want to move it over to my right hand when I buy my dream 3 stone from BGD!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina you're sweet to post my thread :)) I wear it every single day, either on my right hand or my left, so even though I haven't had it long I think it qualifies for the "well-loved" descriptor ::)

Orchid, I wear a 4 as well and I'm glad I went with the 0.15s for a standalone band instead of the 0.08-0.10s I was originally considering. It's definitely blingy and substantial enough to stand on its own! I wear it paired with a plain band and I adore the look - it feels like my finger is just screaming "married" :bigsmile:
I like my rings a bit loose, so they usually spin, especially when it's cold. I went with a "90%" eternity - stones all the way around (17) minus one U for sizing. The plain bar winds up on top often enough that part of me wishes I'd just gone with a full eternity, but the trade-off still errs in favour of having the freedom to re-size, and the bar itself is smaller than the diameter of one of the stones so I'm not actually sure how they'd have had to adjust the design to create enough space for 18 stones...

Mom2boys - we need more pics of this new band!! The scalloped outline is beautiful!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Yssie! I love your jewelry style, so your opinion matters much (along with mum2boys, love her collection!).

I was wondering about that sizing bar you left, personally, that would really annoy me, I would either go full or 3/4!

It looks really lovely on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results