carat
color
clarity

1 year, $25k, go!

tbaus

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1366864388|3434178 said:
tbaus|1366861354|3434155 said:
Jumping out of lurkdom because this is my FAVOURITE subject!

(Hi justginger, I met you at the Perth GTG the other week, I'm HOT's friend).

DH and I just got back from an 8 month trip, we budgeted $40k. This didn't include our flights (we used frequent flyer points). We spent 3 months driving across the US, a few weeks in the UK, some time in Greece and Turkey before flying to Russia and slowly making our way back across Europe from east to west (kind of doing what TGal just said, standing at the train station and picking our next destination). Then we flew to Egypt, popped up to Jordan and then down to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana (where we blew $5k in 5 days on the most awesome safari). We came home with change :Up_to_something:

We've been back almost 3 months, and we constantly talk about doing it again.

Sorry about the long backstory, I just think it's interesting to know and see how we would change it next time around.

If we had $25k to do it again, we'd probably travel around Asia (Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Burma and China), then the tran Siberian to Russia, and do Eastern Europe all over again! I'd also find some way of sneaking a few weeks of Turkey in, just because....

Tell us more about where you are thinking of going!? :appl:

:wavey: Hi T! It was lovely meeting you - the combo of your story and another friend who is headed to Colombia/DR to volunteer are what planted the seed. Plus this feeling of stagnation that I can't shake. It feels like I am simply not doing whatever it is that I'm meant to, yaknow?

Like I said, we've only just started thinking about this. My first thoughts are to spend 2 months or so in each location, doing volunteer work in some places, maybe just being a tourist in others.

NYC - I have a friend living in the W Village, tourist stop, maybe New Years?
Scandinavia - really want to see the Norweigan fjords, and of course run into the Skarsgard clan in S Stockholm. :naughty:
Argentina - to stay for a while
Peru - to stay for a while
Nepal - we support an organization here, would def stay for a while
India - ditto above, but wouldn't stay as long
Russia - I also mentioned trans-Siberia to DH. Got raised eyebrows in response - "Isn't that where they send their prisoners?" :shock:

Those are the first destinations that come to mind, with Nepal and India being definites.

DH told me I might have to consider selling off a couple of pieces of jewelry if I really want to do it. You know I'm excited about an idea if that doesn't stop me in my tracks, lol.

Oh, I hear you on both of the above! You will not regret it! I gave up all non-necessary purchases before we left on our trip, and I would do it all over again. DH and I were definitely at a crossroads before we planned our trip, we felt we were just living life like we were expected to. It was actually the most exciting thing we've ever done- we're usually strict planners and it was fun to just know the dates of our flights and absolutely nothing else in between! We had a lot of time to talk about the future, and even though it was hard to come home (and we kind of fell into the same old routine for awhile) I definitely came home 'a different person'. For the better, I think :tongue:

Most of the places you've listed are still on my bucket list. I would love to do a trip to South America, and then at the end maybe hitch a ride on a boat down to Antarctica (obviously not a low budget trip)! A close friend of mine did some volunteer work in Nepal and she said it was hard but definitely rewarding. I still don't think I could do India though, just seeing it on TV is enough to reduce me to tears. I'm not strong enough for that one just yet! :(( We had the chance to go last year for a wedding but decided not to go as it was just a few months before we left for our big trip. Another friend has family there and has said we are welcome to go next time with him....I think that may be a better way for me to ease myself in? :errrr:

I say go for it! I definitely don't think it will be something you'll regret! Just be prepared for the sticker shock when you get back to good ole Perth. I still find myself thinking every time I go to the shops for some groceries: "Thirty bucks for that!? That's a week's food budget in Berlin!"

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

A neighbour down the road from us has left her husband and 4 kids for some time out. She has gone to a poor area in Thailand where she her husband and their kids helped to build a school, I think she helps work with the kids there, she says its very rewarding. Not sure what it is costing them but I think it is way less than that.

A few years ago my husband and I did a crazy driving tour of Europe, started in Rome, drove around Italy, then to France, drove around France, then to Switzerland, Belgium, Amsterdam, Germany, Poland. Flew across to the UK drove to Scotland and then around England. Flew home, arrived home to the news of the bombings on the London buses, we had been on them just a day beforehand....

I've always wanted to go to Angkor Wat, I could happily do that and the beaches of Thailand for a month or two with the family.

I happily offer to Babysit "Poppy" for you while you are away. I promise to give her back when you get back. ;))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I'd go on an extravagant vacation, buy a nice piece of bling, and use the rest of the funds to start finishing our basement.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1366892227|3434223 said:
Hi,

A neighbour down the road from us has left her husband and 4 kids for some time out. She has gone to a poor area in Thailand where she her husband and their kids helped to build a school, I think she helps work with the kids there, she says its very rewarding. Not sure what it is costing them but I think it is way less than that.

A few years ago my husband and I did a crazy driving tour of Europe, started in Rome, drove around Italy, then to France, drove around France, then to Switzerland, Belgium, Amsterdam, Germany, Poland. Flew across to the UK drove to Scotland and then around England. Flew home, arrived home to the news of the bombings on the London buses, we had been on them just a day beforehand....

I've always wanted to go to Angkor Wat, I could happily do that and the beaches of Thailand for a month or two with the family.

I happily offer to Babysit "Poppy" for you while you are away. I promise to give her back when you get back. ;))

What a friend! :appl: :wink2:

DH didn't even dare broach the idea of selling her - smart man! :lol:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Going along with the fantasy and assuming that bills would be paid while I was gone, job would be waiting, and health insurance was paid for...

I would buy round the world plane tickets for me, DH, and B (age 4), pack us each a backpack, a few guidebooks, and an ipad or international smart phone, and take off for a year to explore. We would go where the wind took us, staying for days, weeks, or months, depending on cost of living and how much we liked a place.

It would be amazing!!!!!!

Especially, I would want to make sure that we went to Greece (including the islands!), Capri, Venice, Thailand, Vietnam, Bali, Easter Islands, South Africa, Brazil, Galapagos Islands, Ethiopia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, DRC, Paris, Brussels, Turkey, County Dingle in Ireland, the Scottish Highlands, Holland, Norway, and St. Petersburg....and maybe a stop in New Zealand to see some friends.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm kinda doing this now!

We've been living off my husband's income only since last October. Fortunately, it's much more than $25k.

Things we've done so far that i never had time for:

Cruised for 2 weeks to the canaries, Azores, Madiera and Lisbon

I learnt to cook a lot more: I make great roasts and a killer pad thai now

I took make up lessons and now can create looks at home that look so much better than I could before

I finally established a good skin care routine

I built up a great perfume collection: I now have over 50 bottles and I'm happy my collection is varied and complete

We spent 3 weeks in Vietnam

Overhauled my work wardrobe

I now exercise regularly (thanks jillian!)

Deep cleaned all our carpets (my husband now gets all his shirts ironed by me and we got rid of the cleaner as I'm the little housewife now lol)

I read a lot of books, including some long neglected classics such as Middlemarch

I watched all the movies I wanted: all the recent releases and back catalogues of directors like David Fincher and Lars Von Trier

I am completing my masters degree, finally! it's my only real bit of "work".

We have a northern Europe cruise booked In a few months.

Basically, I've had a lot of time for ME and I've cherished every moment. But I've ended up spending more money than I did when I was working because I had the time to do so. Sadly, I'll be going back to work in September, but I now know I couldn't be a housewife forever. It's been a blast pretending to be one though. I don't think $25k is a lot for two people to have any fun without a lot of scrimping.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1366902260|3434306 said:

We've been living off my husband's income only since last October. Fortunately, it's much more than $25k.

I took make up lessons and now can create looks at home that look so much better than I could before

I built up a great perfume collection: I now have over 50 bottles and I'm happy my collection is varied and complete

Deep cleaned all our carpets (my husband now gets all his shirts ironed by me and we got rid of the cleaner as I'm the little housewife now lol)

I read a lot of books, including some long neglected classics such as Middlemarch

I watched all the movies I wanted: all the recent releases and back catalogues of directors like David Fincher and Lars Von Trier

Basically, I've had a lot of time for ME and I've cherished every moment. But I've ended up spending more money than I did when I was working because I had the time to do so. Sadly, I'll be going back to work in September, but I now know I couldn't be a housewife forever. It's been a blast pretending to be one though. I don't think $25k is a lot for two people to have any fun without a lot of scrimping.

That sounds lovely, Rosetta - must be excellent to get the chance to 'catch up' on all the wonderful things that get put off when you're living a hectic schedule.

25k isn't much - until you consider that full room and board for 4 months of volunteering in Nepal is only around $2500. There's a lot of money to be saved by staying in financially advantageous areas or even doing a TEFL arrangement. :))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you can absolutely travel for a year on $25k, especially if you go to less expensive areas, like South America, Asia, etc.

And obviously don't stay at expensive all inclusive resorts. That's not my idea of a good time anyway, though-never been to one, hope to never go to one! I don't go on vacation to stay in a hotel or resort, so I prefer to stay at locally owned places, which as a bonus are WAY cheaper.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
As much as I love my DH, I'd leave him behind on this one, because I'd want to stretch that $25K as far as I could (and since he hates the "travel" part of travelling, we end up blowing a lot of $$ on upgraded airfare and whatnot)! So I'd take the opportunity to go all the places he doesn't care to visit. I'd start in SE Asia (probably in the islands, maybe the Philippines?) and work my way west from there, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, into the lower Himilayas (I'd like to SEE Everest...), India...

If my money's not out at that point I'd probably head for the Persian Gulf and the UAE/Qatar, etc.

Then I figure I'll probably have to head home...

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I may or may not have just wasted and hour looking at different round the world ticket options online...

We are trying to go to Ethiopia and Japan next year and are discussing options...turns out it is a lot cheaper to string them together into a round the world itinerary (and if I plan the stops right we could also hit Rome, Berlin, Istanbul, and Cairo for a few days each...)...intriguing...I might need to sell some bling to finance this trip!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I DID say that I would give Poppy back again!!!! :lol: Seriously - I am not sure I would take a stone that large to various places in Europe let alone some of the ones you mention in Asia. I made the assumption that you did not want to sell her.....

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1366918457|3434498 said:
I may or may not have just wasted and hour looking at different round the world ticket options online...

We are trying to go to Ethiopia and Japan next year and are discussing options...turns out it is a lot cheaper to string them together into a round the world itinerary (and if I plan the stops right we could also hit Rome, Berlin, Istanbul, and Cairo for a few days each...)...intriguing...I might need to sell some bling to finance this trip!

Time spent perusing travel, much like diamonds, is never a waste. That's RESEARCH. :bigsmile:

I've also ended up in other places because travel arrangements are cheaper - what a bonus that you'd be able to see some amazing sights on your way to final destinations! I've heard such good things about Berlin, but missed it when I was in Germany. If you go, I need a full trip report. :))

justginger

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1366931077|3434620 said:
I DID say that I would give Poppy back again!!!! :lol: Seriously - I am not sure I would take a stone that large to various places in Europe let alone some of the ones you mention in Asia. I made the assumption that you did not want to sell her.....

No, I'd definitely not take a diamond ring with me to do volunteer work. I always wear diamond studs, so would probably take my tiniest pair (think they're about .25ctw) and call them fake, if asked.

I definitely don't want to sell Poppy. That would be done out of necessity only. Though I've managed to learn - never say never. It may happen one day, I'm just not planning for it at this point. :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1366932292|3434627 said:
arkieb1|1366931077|3434620 said:

No, I'd definitely not take a diamond ring with me to do volunteer work. I always wear diamond studs, so would probably take my tiniest pair (think they're about .25ctw) and call them fake, if asked.

I definitely don't want to sell Poppy. That would be done out of necessity only. Though I've managed to learn - never say never. It may happen one day, I'm just not planning for it at this point. :))

Studs are fine, that size no-one will pay any attention at all. They do check out larger rings though and then make the assumption that you must have other things of value and will grab for cameras, bags, backpacks, waist money bag things you see tourist wearing etc. My niece was pushed off a scooter in Cambodia by two guys one pushed her and the other grabbed and took off with her camera. You do have to be careful not to attract unwanted attention.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If headed to Asia, particularly SEA, extra precaution needs to be taken since the rate of snatching thefts has increased significantly. They are daring enough to grab any bag as soon as the elevator door opens (regardless of how full the lift is), then take off. They don't care if the lady is dragged along, falls down, gets hurt, etc. They are so daring and quick and nobody has a chance to do anything. In some places, they will chop your hand or finger off just to get a plain gold ring. I am not making this up because the locals told me this for my own safety.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'd use the winnings to get our new fridge, stove, washer and drier, redo my kitchen counters and cabinets, and redo my bathroom floors and one shower. That'd about cover it and leave a little money for food.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1366902260|3434306 said:

Wow, this sounds great! This is the way life is supposed to be.

As for me, I'm a few years away from having kids out of the house and having more free time - if I could have $25K, I would find a way to travel the world, because every time I've done that and gotten out of my routine, I have ended up changing my life and learning a lot.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so weird...I just wrote a whole response saying I love that you had this opportunity, Rosetta! My goal is to have the time in the next few years to do something radically different, to travel to exotic places and try new things - it always makes me feel alive when I do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results