shape
carat
color
clarity

1 vs 1.2 carat

abcunnin

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've narrowed down my parameters for my engagement ring except for carat size. Sparing you the details, I'm trying to decide if I want to spend a bit more (around $1000) for a 1.2 carat round brilliant or save a bit more on a 1 carat. I know I will be happy with a 1 carat, but I also know I'll be happier with 1.2. We could use the extra $1000 now, but in the big picture, it is not going to make or break our budget. So, we could survive spending an extra $1000 is my point. I just can't decide. Should I make myself happy or happier?

I realize this is just a personal decision we will have to make in the end, but my fiance to be has really left it up to me. I will probably shell out the money out of my own bank account if I want a little bit bigger.

Opinions from people who struggled with similar decisions? What did you decide to do? Are you happy with your decision? Wish you went smaller or bigger?

For those who care, I'm thinking of H color, Excellent/Ideal cut, eye clean SI1.

Thanks!

Alli

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I say if it's not a budget breaker, and the cut and color is equal, spend the $1K for the .2 carat! :))

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I would say at that size, .2 will be a noticable difference, and worth $1000 if you can swing it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can do it now without breaking the budget, go for it. You can notice the difference visually and it's worth it.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Which one faces up bigger? I'm going to guess the size difference is near .4mm. Is that worth an extra grand?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
definitely a significant visible difference if both are well cut - whether or not it's worth it is up to you though :))

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion 1 ct is such a regular size very commonly seen and gifted...however 1.2...1.2 is generously proportioned. To me that is the mark when a diamond starts to look "big". I think 1.2 is so worth it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the 1.2. You will quickly forget about the extra $1,000, but you will be looking at that stone for years and years and years... :wink2:

b2cjewels

Rough_Rock
Trade
Since it doesn't hurt your budget I would say make your self Happier :)

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1289600292|2763773 said:
I'm going to guess the size difference is near .4mm. Is that worth an extra grand?

Yes! :appl: :appl: :appl:

That's an appreciable size difference that you will notice every day!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
When the fiance and I were looking at rings we initially thought 1ct. would be great (and it is), but once I saw diamonds in the 1.18-1.22 range it was over. For us, there wasn't much of a price difference and I'm SOOOOO happy we went with the larger stone. Definitely worth it! :D

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
If the price is achievable, make yourself happier :bigsmile: I could see a noticeable difference between 1 and 1.2 cts in a RB and I second the pp who said that's when RBs start to look big. We got a 1.232ct RB and I couldn't be happier.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 1.02 then went to a 1.23, and could really see a difference. Like others have mentioned, make sure you check the diameter on the 1.20. My sales lady originally showed me a 1.37, that had a 6.94 diameter, but her manager came out with the 1.23, with a 6.98 diameter. I am sooo glad her manager checked this for me, or I would have paid for a 1.37 that faced up like a 1.21. You will love the subtle fuller look of a near 1.25 stone. I had mine set in a 1.50 head, this made it look even bigger.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
In full disclosure, I haven't looked at pricing, but what kind of a tradeoff are you looking at with regard to color/clarity to get the bigger size? Anything significant? I'm going to post a thread I started a while back over a round stone I used to have, which has a scaled down picture of the size differential. For me, the tradeoff in color I took to get to 1.25 ultimately ended up being a bad choice. And I ended up having to plunk down another $2000 to get a better color because I really didn't want to go smaller after getting such a big (to me) stone. That said, I had to sell the new one a year later and would gladly take even the lower color one now. ;))

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-0ct-vs-1-25ct-revisited.111614/

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, from what I understand, as you get bigger and bigger in carat size, the size difference is less noticable. BUT at 1.0 and 1.2 I think that a .2 difference is enough to be visually different. If the 1,000 doesn't break the bank and it's only a matter of should we go for it or not.... then I say yes! It will make you happier in the long run with your ring, and maybe less likely to want to upgrade soon or change settings, or halo or any other strategy to make your diamond bigger or blingier because it now longer feels like it's not enough.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the bigger one.

abcunnin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's opinion! I went back and compared the two diamond sizes again. I am strongly leaning towards the 1.2. I'm glad most people agreed! Makes me less doubtful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results