shape
carat
color
clarity

1 ct solitaire Ebay saga update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 9:45:21 PM
Author: prc
hi mrssalvo! the seller actually sent us a business check that had been deposited a week ago and hadn''t came back as of Thurs which was 7 days. Then Thurs we deposited the new starter business check on another bank that wasn''t the cashier''s check he had promised.

Well maybe both checks will clear and you''ll make money
9.gif
Seriously though, I truly hope the second check clears w/o any problems and you can put this whole thing behind you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as far as you know the first check seems to have cleared? Even though he told you it wouldn''t? I would think that if the funds were not there the bank would have known that in seven days. At any rate, let''s just hope that one of the two checks cleared and that you have your money in hand to resume your diamond shopping! My fingers are crossed for you!

Please keep us updated!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
PRC...it can take a while for the check to come back NSF (non sufficient funds). What the process usually is...you deposit check in your account, check gets sent to fed reserve which in turn sends it to the bank its drawn on (all electronically ofcourse) then if the funds are not available check gets sent back to your bank. Your bank will then present the check again and the whole process starts all over. When the check comes back NSF or in this case account closed if that''s indeed the case then you''ll receive the check in the mail along with a notice saying the check did not clear (a stamp will be on the front of the check to say why...account closed, NSF, refer to maker...something of that sort) along with a note for your NSF fee for the check bouncing. Sucks! But it can take 7-14 business days for all of this to go through. You could call your bank and have them check to see if the first check came back once NSF. The checking dept (or back office personnel...whatever the inhouse dept is called) will have this info.
Good luck! Still crossing my fingers for you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates as to whether either check cleared? I am hoping the answer is that one of them cleared!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m hoping BOTH of them cleared.

Then you can drag it out and put the slimeball through what he put you through to get his money back.

prc

Rough_Rock
Today, BF got check #1 returned as NSF - non-sufficient funds, not closed account. Still waiting for info on check #2 and will keep you posted....

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
awww, Pam. I feel for you. Take the @$$ to court, have you contacted ebay to let them know he breached your resolution contract?

blitz

Rough_Rock
"He does live in CA - I want to say Newbury Park (?). The unsigned appraisal was performed by GRA in LA so he must live near there."

Newbury Park is the outskirt of LA county (could be Ventura county). I want to say rural area, at least rural for us in Los Angeles.

And we do have a bad check program. Take advantage of it!

http://da.co.la.ca.us/pdf/badcheck.pdf

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 6:43:58 PM
Today, BF got check #1 returned as NSF - non-sufficient funds, not closed account. Still waiting for info on check #2 and will keep you posted....
Probably says NSF refer to maker...meaning the bank wouldn''t tell you if the account was closed anyway. I sure hope check #2 clears for you. Have you contacted EBAY yet to let them know check #1 was no good? What a debacle Pam!!! On another note...did you end up getting your new ring that you were looking at from the local jeweler?

prc

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neil, Jennifer, Pinkflamingo, Missgotrocks and everyone else following our issues with this return!

Hi again Small! The check did say NSF - I didn''t think about that being the same as acct closed. I thought they specified account closed instead if that was the case. We''ll see if the bank can tell us more about what happened for future reference.

We still have the other ring on hold at the local jeweler. They called yesterday to tell him it was ready (diamond placed in setting). Since it''s twice as much as the one we returned, he''s looking for that $ back and simultaneously waiting on his mom''s estate $. He is expecting $ from his brother for the sale of a car and a real estate transaction too, so I''m hoping the $ doesn''t actually come from his mom''s estate $. That seems wrong, even though he says it''s his money. Tomorrow will be our 4 year anniversary of dating. Hopefully we''ll have it in the next few weeks and I''ll post photos.

Thanks again! Pam

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Pam,
How exciting that the ring is done!!! Sorry this jerkoff is ruining everything with his bad checks
7.gif

It used to say on the check specifically account closed but now I think it just comes back NSF and refer to maker as the bank really can''t legally tell you WHY the funds aren''t there. He may have put a stop payment on the check...who the hell knows with that idiot! Did you ever call the other bank with the starter check to find out if the funds were available before depositing? I sure hope that money comes in.
Congrats on 4 years...how exciting! If your guy wants to spend his money on you then that''s ok but I can understand why you would feel funny about it coming out of the estate. All the same at least it will be paid for and the ebay nightmare will be behin you. HOpe things clear up with this soon. Make sure when you do get your new ring you post pictures for us to see
30.gif

Keep us posted Pam!!!!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
What about check #2? Any word on whether that cleared?

prc

Rough_Rock
Hi Portoar - Check 2 was released from the 5 day hold by the bank but we don''t know for sure if it''s cleared yet. The bank said it could still come back and be deducted from the account if not good.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that''s a step in the right direction - how long before the bank knows for sure?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 9:16:46 AM
Hi Portoar - Check 2 was released from the 5 day hold by the bank but we don''t know for sure if it''s cleared yet. The bank said it could still come back and be deducted from the account if not good.
Crossing my fingers for you . . . keep us updated!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Pam, just checking in to see if you had any news. I''m still hoping that the second check is good and you will soon have your refund and your brand new ring soon..

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 10:04:20 AM
Author: MissGotRocks
Well, that''s a step in the right direction - how long before the bank knows for sure?
Could take 7 business days or more. Usually within 10-14 days if it doesnt'' come back you are safe.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what happened with the checks? Did either of them clear?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 4:58:51 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Any news Pam?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 8:36:40 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/4/2006 4:58:51 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Any news Pam?
Me too...Pam...what''s up? Did the starter check come back yet?

prc

Rough_Rock
The starter check hasn''t came back. Think we''re out of the woods now Small? We deposited it two weeks ago Weds.
The first check came back NSF about a week ago.

We took the $ from the refund and put the money down on the ring at the B&M Saturday. Should have it within a month.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 5:53:24 PM
The starter check hasn''t came back. Think we''re out of the woods now Small? We deposited it two weeks ago Weds.

The first check came back NSF about a week ago.

We took the $ from the refund and put the money down on the ring at the B&M Saturday. Should have it within a month.

I know nothing about banking but is there anyway you can call your bank and verify the funds have cleared and you are out of the woods?

I''m so excited about your new ring and can''t wait to see it..

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
prc -
i highly doubt it, but i hope you get your money back. sad to say, i''ve read many such stories about expensive high end gems and jewelry on ebay and it''s pretty common. as are many such scams.

the seller seems to have now made his feedback private to hide their 3 negatives which i have no idea what they say. he also has 2 auctions going.. featured items no less (that''s $29.95 i think per). the most amazing part perhaps is that despite all these warning signs there are 23 bids going at the current price of $500.
not only that the auctions have gone private so there''s no way to detect shill bidding, and there''s no way for anyone else to contact the highest bidders to alert them (although that is against ebay policy)

auctions

sadly his entire store setup just screams lazy, using the stock ebay store graphics, listing auctions in all caps.
and i just visited his "me" page which is rather hilarious because he hasn''t yet realized that while he has set his fb to private, his "me" still has the option checked to show his feedback, which it does in all it''s negative glory =)

me page for aquablueocean

his 2 negatives worry me the most (and they''re obviously from inexperienced users)
User:cxxxxxx ( -1 ) Date:Mar-31-06 20:02:00 PST
Complaint: Lost $2,717 Ring was 2 B 1.53 ct. FVS. GIA cert /1.03 JI Frac. fill. Where''s $''s
seller''s feedback: HORRIBLE BUYER. DEMANDED RING SHIP B4 I COULD INSPECT IT. THEN NEG FB W/O REGARD #8913576346
Reply by : $2,717 Fraud-7 days to ship? Ret/No Refund!-Ring Sold as 1.53 ct. FVS. GIA/1.03

User:hxxxxxxx ( 4 ) Date:Apr-04-06 05:14:22 PDT
Complaint: Stone was supposed to be Si but was I2-3. Sent it back, still waiting for refund #5065210633
seller: Mailed Refund. Cannot help if buyer does not cash. No comm from buyer. AVOID

Interestingly enough, while the seller is REAL fast to leave negs for those he pisses off, he doesn''t bother to leave fb for anyone who gives him a pos. Lazy? Laughing all the way to the bank? or just withholding feedback in case the buyer changes their mind so he can still have a chance to neg them?

I would personally have advised that the ring been kept as without recourse via paypal/cc and the stuff w/ checks and cashier checks.. i just seriously doubt the money will ever come back.. i''ve seen to many scams perpetuated this way on ebay.

prc, have you attempted posting on any of ebay''s boards? the jewelry category has several honest sellers who have taken to try to patrol and self monitor their own category in order to rid the section of scammers and it''s dishonest scammers like these who piss them off - it really hurts their business on ebay and i''m sure they would have more incentive to get some action against the seller.

here are some of the boards i recommend you post your story or link to this post. they may be able to offer you more advice and you may even catch the attention of the ebay mods as well.

jewelry and gemstone category:
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jspa?forumID=32

ebay safeharbor (trust and safety):
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=107

buyer central:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=1000000015
(look at all the people who have been scammed here =)

just a warning, some of the posters on those boards may not have much patience w/ what they perceive to be an unwise purchase by a naive ebay user. but they should be much more knowledgeable about how to possibly take action against the scammer.

remember, buying on ebay is like navigating over a crocodile invested river on wooden logs!

good luck! and congrats on the new ring =)

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Well I''d like to think you are good but I''m not sure how many business days it''s been yet??? How long did it take the last check from the time you deposited it til the time you got it back showing NSF (in business days)? It really just depends on locations between federal reserve banks as to how long it can take. I can tell you my federal reserve is in Chicago and when I write my mom checks hers is not so it can take 7 business days for it to clear my bank, her bank, and then the respective federal reserves. Crazy how it all works...even when you live close. The routing numbers on the check decifer the fed reserve used. I''m only familiar with the ones in my area as that''s how I know what''s local and nonlocal and how long to place holds and such. Your bank put a hold on for 5 business days assuming that would be enough time. We used to place nonlocal holds up to 14 business days depending on the type of check and the account relationship the account holder had with us.
So if it''s been 14 business days...meaning M-F since you''ve deposited I''d say you should feel pretty good. If it has not...well I''ve seen them come back at the 14 day mark so just keep an eye on the account.
Good luck Pam...I''m crossing my fingers it''s all good!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks small. I''m hoping no news from Pam is good news for Pam..

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Pam, have you been able to verify with your bank that you''re out of the woods yet? I just checked the seller''s account via a link on this thread and he is not a registered user anymore!

prc

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!
35.gif

Portoar - thanks for the update on the seller not being a registered user of ebay anymore.
23.gif
I didn''t know that until you mentioned it! I had checked his profile a couple days ago and he had made his feedback private so no one could see it. Now I''m not going to be able to make my feedback known.
7.gif
I guess it''s best he''s no longer selling -- or at least he won''t be using that username. Maybe someone else got him shut down.
14.gif
Who knows!

We deposited the check Weds afternoon 3 weeks ago so 12 business days have passed. Small says that it could come back on the 14th day which would be Tues so we''re still keeping our fingers crossed
40.gif
and hoping we''re in the clear. Will keep you posted if anything new happens.

Thanks for asking! I''m so appreciative for the help and support everyone has given us here at PS. Thanks so much!
30.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
My fingers are still crossed for you. You should call your bank and ask them what they think is a safe bet that you are good to go but honestly I''ve never seen anything after 14 business days come back. Good luck and stop in and let us know!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
keeping our fingers crossed for you until tuesday..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results